Flotsam and Jetsam

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
yup go out to eat! I cook for enjoyment I'm not a short order cook!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
yup go out to eat! I cook for enjoyment I'm not a short order cook!

You can do both, but shaved has gone "above and beyond", and if these peeps don't respect that, that's a hospitality fail on their part.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Well, well, well, it looks like Aussies are the first to jump off this sinking ship. :anim_59:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...cert_n_4298120.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

No One In Australia Wants To Go To Justin Bieber Concerts Anymore

Justin Bieber begins his eight-show Australia tour on Nov. 26, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to go. According to news.com.au, many tickets are selling for half their original price, and some don't even have any bids (including seats in the front four rows, priced at $79.00).

Alex Levenson, who heads the Asia Pacific sector of ticket-selling market place viagogo, blamed the drop on Bieber's "very good impression of an enfant terrible." Sales decreased 23 percent since the pop star's infamous visit to a Brazilian brothel and another 18 percent since we saw that picture of his tiny body passed out in a hotel earlier this month. Overall, tickets are 41 percent of the price they sold for last year.

[GIF of Bieber removed.]

No, some people still want to see his concerts, but they are not willing to pay $39.50 for a front row seat. It should be noted that Baby Boomers are willing to pay upwards of $200 for a front row seat for a Rolling Stones concert. This is because the Rolling Stones are a quality act. Justin Bieber is a no-talent object of homosexual lust.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
nah, just a no talent hack, if he was a subject of homosexual lust, people would still go here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, some people still want to see his concerts, but they are not willing to pay $39.50 for a front row seat. It should be noted that Baby Boomers are willing to pay upwards of $200 for a front row seat for a Rolling Stones concert. This is because the Rolling Stones are a quality act. Justin Bieber is a no-talent object of homosexual lust.

I 100% agree except for the crossed out part at the end. Bieber is the object of young female teen lust. They are who have been going to his concerts more than anyone else. But I totally agree that he is talentless. I say this is also true of Miley Cyrus. Like you said, Boomers will pay to see Rolling Stones, and many of the Boomer bands that are still around. They will pay over a hundred to see Stevie Nicks too. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually I have cut down on seeing this couple. We haven't met up since June and I could no longer put them off. The original concept was to switch off treating at a restaurant one time, then the next time we'd do dinner in-house, then a restaurant, then in-house.

There's a history there with us. We were friends a long time ago and then they moved out of state for over a decade and we lost touch. Then they moved back to the state and eventually reconnected. They were always kind of goofy when I first knew them but since reconnecting I've noticed that they are just plain crazy with their dining habits (and other things).

Yeah, that's what gets me, I mean, I do my best to be accommodating but these queens are just so damn over the top with their dining expectations that it's wearing on me. Last time they had me over they made bow tie pasta with Italian sausage. It wasn't the greatest but I dutifully ate it because that's what one does. I even ate the lousy (and I mean lousy) cheese nachos they made as an appetizer. The way I see it is that it's not so much about the food as it is the fun of getting together, so I didn't let it bother me that it wasn't a gourmet meal. I ate, I drank, I had fun -- that's the whole point. Why these guys fixate so much on what's being served to them is beyond me.

Yup, I'm going to have to lean on the restaurant option in the future. I'll just make up some excuse as to why I can't cook. I'll also be stretching out the time in between meeting up again, hopefully to the point that we distance ourselves fully. I really don't like to do that but I've found that it's necessary at times. As it is, the older I get the less neurosis I tolerate, especially from people older than me who should know better.

I am going to go out on a limb here

Do these guys act the same at other ppl's houses?

If yes, then I would say that they have interpersonal issues that they are projecting on others

Big leap I know, but it is what strikes me

if not, then they are just a couple of asses who dont deserve the time and effort that you put in for them. If they do have issues, get them a gift certificate for couple's therapy :icon_e_surprised: that will either make them treat you better or you'll never here from them again

either way you win
:anim_19: :fredflinstone:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am going to go out on a limb here

Do these guys act the same at other ppl's houses?

If yes, then I would say that they have interpersonal issues that they are projecting on others

Big leap I know, but it is what strikes me

if not, then they are just a couple of asses who dont deserve the time and effort that you put in for them. If they do have issues, get them a gift certificate for couple's therapy :icon_e_surprised: that will either make them treat you better or you'll never here from them again

either way you win
:anim_19: :fredflinstone:

I've recently discovered that they have alienated other people including some of their own family members. Awhile back a mutual friend of ours ranted to me in private about their behavior, especially the picky eater. I was rather relieved to learn that it wasn't just me that saw the problem.

Also, the issues go far beyond simple meal planning difficulties. I don't want to tell the whole story here but suffice to say my buddy did a big favor for one of them and got nary a thank you for his trouble.

Of course I know that I must distance myself from them, but my issue is that I'm having a hard time understanding how middle-aged people can be so weird. Obviously I won't be the first to cut the cord with them so you'd think they would get a clue and modify their behavior.

Oh well, that's life I guess. :moody:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Actually, gays don't care about "The Beebs" at all. His popularity rests on the backs of an army of pre-teen girls. With this being the case it's only natural for his fan base to age-out of liking him. Daddy's little girl grows up, dyes her hair and her nails black, becomes something in the Goth genus and trades Justin Bieber for Bauhaus.

Can't fight the circle of life. ;)

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Actually, gays don't care about "The Beebs" at all. His popularity rests on the backs of an army of pre-teen girls. With this being the case it's only natural for his fan base to age-out of liking him. Daddy's little girl grows up, dyes her hair and her nails black, becomes something in the Goth genus and trades Justin Bieber for Bauhaus.

Can't fight the circle of life. ;)

Part of that cycle of life is men making disparaging remarks about the objects of teen idolatry/affection/lust.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Part of that cycle of life is men making disparaging remarks about the objects of teen idolatry/affection/lust.

There's "disparaging" and then there's "just plain wrong". Justin Bieber does not have a homosexual following. And even if you said it as a joke it wasn't funny.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not overly sensitive to gay jokes, in fact, I can rip on the queens better than anyone, but in this case your comment falls flat. Trust me, there are much better ways to make fun of "The Beebs" than to equate him with homosexuality.

*Incidentally, I'm convinced that one of the Jonas brothers is gay. This one, Joe Jonas (he just screams "Big queen!"):

Joe-Jonas-the-jonas-brothers-9189597-478-712.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Hmm, my teen fantasies were Blondie, Madaline Khan and Belinda Carlisle........................
In fact the only star I had a crush on of the same age as me was Drew Barrymore....

(waits patiently for the inevitable slew of comments about my taste) :lol: :lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I've recently discovered that they have alienated other people including some of their own family members. Awhile back a mutual friend of ours ranted to me in private about their behavior, especially the picky eater. I was rather relieved to learn that it wasn't just me that saw the problem.

Also, the issues go far beyond simple meal planning difficulties. I don't want to tell the whole story here but suffice to say my buddy did a big favor for one of them and got nary a thank you for his trouble.

Of course I know that I must distance myself from them, but my issue is that I'm having a hard time understanding how middle-aged people can be so weird. Obviously I won't be the first to cut the cord with them so you'd think they would get a clue and modify their behavior.

Oh well, that's life I guess. :moody:

Sounds like they DO need that gift certificate for couples counseling

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not sure I could be that cruel to a counselor. ;)

Nah, they like the abuse :stung: :winking0052:

Or you could just email them a random advert for counseling, how "clunky" would that be? It should at least get them off your "six" :tealcanime23:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, looking for some feedback on a weird social situation that I'm dealing with. I'm having this gay couple over to dinner this weekend (I only mention that they're gay for context) as it's my turn to reciprocate on a meal. Taking them out to a restaurant isn't in the cards as we've done that and now it's my turn to cook again.

So here's the problem, they're both picky eaters but one of them is insufferable about what he won't eat. And his restrictions are not based on health or medical need. He simply is spoiled and childish about food preferences. For instance, he will not eat vegetables. NO salad. NO veggies in appetizers. NO veggie side dishes. NO veggies in an entree. Etc. :rolleyes:

I was going to stay out of this particular conversation, but this ass sounds like he is going to be a CONTINUED problem, not just for you but for others. First of all, you should tell the couple that if there are "special dietary concerns", he should bring his own food. Yep, since it is not normal to not eat vegetables. Humans eat vegetables. No vegetables means all meat. I bet he is picky about the meat he eats as well. How do they eat at home?

So basically every time I host them I have to get tacit menu approval. Like this time I emailed one of them (the nice one) and told him I was making glazed ham along with mini-sweet potatoes, mac and cheese and dinner rolls. (Appetizer will be mixed nuts and a simple dip cuz God knows i can't make anything like guacamole or brushcetta or olive tapenade or even shrimp cocktail for these queens) So the guy writes me back and says: "Jim doesn't eat sweet potatoes". I'm like, yeah, no shit, that's why I'm making mac and cheese because he will eat that. Then this guy added: "What, no bread? I'm Italian!"

This is just wrong. Gay or straight, this behavior is completely irregular and rude from any dinner guest. I have never heard of such demanding "rules" coming from a dinner guest. In fact, I might go as far as to state clearly that I would rather not have them over for dinner at all because of the guy who is such a food bitch. I would explain how it is impolite and just plain weird that they would make demands on their host as to what to serve. I would point out that this is rude and would likely get them uninvited to many homes.

Okay, so, maybe the guy missed the part about the rolls and/or was joking about the bread. No biggie. But at this point in our acquaintance he should know that I take into account their neurotic eating preferences so I didn't need to know that his annoying partner wasn't going to eat the sweet potatoes. And it's not a matter of quantity as I'm not making that much in the way of sweet potatoes and also they've never mentioned quantity before. I highly doubt they're trying to spare me from wasting any sweet potatoes, rather, this guy's partner just demanded that I be reminded that he doesn't eat any vegetables. Seriously, he's neurotic that way, he mentions it every chance he gets. It's beyond annyoing.

That is just weird. :( Its NOT normal at all.

I did mention that I was making a Queen of Sheba torte for dessert but the guy offered to bring a raspberry torte instead. Chances are he'll bring some chocolate too since it's December and he buys a lot from this one candy shop at this time of year. So this guy isn't a jerk really, but he and his partner are annoying and tedious to entertain successfully. It's not just vegetables that are the problem as it extends to meats also. For instance, one of them will not eat prime rib and the other one will not eat filet mignon. And one will not eat shrimp and the other one will not eat lobster. The list of what they won't eat goes on and on and on.

Invite them over for a fast instead. :( They both sound like they were made for each other. I have one friend who refuses to drink water from any tap. Even filtered water which started at the tap (I use Brita filter pitchers). She demands bottled water and even then it is restricted to brands like Fiji and Evian, and told me I should keep it on hand. Solution? I told her to make sure she brings her own water when she comes over, because I dont buy bottled water unless I am at a gym or I need to carry it with me. I told her it is difficult to be with somebody who is addicted to artificial foods and faddish trends. So, what happened? She now finds my Brita pitcher "acceptable". La de friggin da. I dont like her anymore and she no longer gets invitations to come over.

And that's where the issue lies for me as I can't understand ever being so picky about dining when one is a guest. I have never once refused a meal when I was a guest. Even if the person is serving something I don't like I don't complain and simply suck it up and deal with it, like with poached salmon. I don't like it and would never make it myself, but I don't freak out if someone serves it. I just deal with it. Truth is, it's rare for me to not like something I'm being served.

Some of the families I used to mentor still send me Christmas cards and they invite me to dinner. But I cant make them because I am across town and I am not in the mentoring program anymore. But when I was, the Thanksgiving meals would sometimes include "soul food" entrees such as chitlins and turkey stuffing with the turkey guts...er "giblets" chopped into the stuffing. I refuse to eat chitlins or organ meats, but I would never say so. I just would ask them to wrap it up so I could take it home. The chitlins would get tossed out the window whilst driving, and the stuffing would get stuffed into the trash. Problem solved, without telling my gracious hosts that I hate chitlins and organ meats. There was always plenty of turkey and mac and cheese and other great stuff. This year, I observed a day of mourning for the native Americans instead of celebrating Thanksgiving. :)

So of course I'll still have these guys over as I've extended the invitation, but I'm thinking about cutting them off from then on. The problem with this is I'm getting tired of doing this with people. In many ways it makes life much easier, but it's also very sad as I've had to do it numerous times over the years. I simply don't understand why grown adults can't act like grown adults and not spoiled children when it comes to social gatherings. :moody:

So what would GateFans do?

You need to cut them off (as far as dinner). Dont accept any invitations from them and dont invite them over for dinner. Or, restrict the choices to prepared trays from places like Subway or some other mass food chain. Have cold cuts. Take them to a restaurant and let them bitch and whine at the waiter, and they can order what they want if something pleases them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was going to stay out of this particular conversation, but this ass sounds like he is going to be a CONTINUED problem, not just for you but for others. First of all, you should tell the couple that if there are "special dietary concerns", he should bring his own food. Yep, since it is not normal to not eat vegetables. Humans eat vegetables. No vegetables means all meat. I bet he is picky about the meat he eats as well. How do they eat at home?

This is just wrong. Gay or straight, this behavior is completely irregular and rude from any dinner guest. I have never heard of such demanding "rules" coming from a dinner guest. In fact, I might go as far as to state clearly that I would rather not have them over for dinner at all because of the guy who is such a food bitch. I would explain how it is impolite and just plain weird that they would make demands on their host as to what to serve. I would point out that this is rude and would likely get them uninvited to many homes.

Invite them over for a fast instead. :( They both sound like they were made for each other. I have one friend who refuses to drink water from any tap. Even filtered water which started at the tap (I use Brita filter pitchers). She demands bottled water and even then it is restricted to brands like Fiji and Evian, and told me I should keep it on hand. Solution? I told her to make sure she brings her own water when she comes over, because I dont buy bottled water unless I am at a gym or I need to carry it with me. I told her it is difficult to be with somebody who is addicted to artificial foods and faddish trends. So, what happened? She now finds my Brita pitcher "acceptable". La de friggin da. I dont like her anymore and she no longer gets invitations to come over.

Some of the families I used to mentor still send me Christmas cards and they invite me to dinner. But I cant make them because I am across town and I am not in the mentoring program anymore. But when I was, the Thanksgiving meals would sometimes include "soul food" entrees such as chitlins and turkey stuffing with the turkey guts...er "giblets" chopped into the stuffing. I refuse to eat chitlins or organ meats, but I would never say so. I just would ask them to wrap it up so I could take it home. The chitlins would get tossed out the window whilst driving, and the stuffing would get stuffed into the trash. Problem solved, without telling my gracious hosts that I hate chitlins and organ meats. There was always plenty of turkey and mac and cheese and other great stuff. This year, I observed a day of mourning for the native Americans instead of celebrating Thanksgiving. :)

You need to cut them off (as far as dinner). Dont accept any invitations from them and dont invite them over for dinner. Or, restrict the choices to prepared trays from places like Subway or some other mass food chain. Have cold cuts. Take them to a restaurant and let them bitch and whine at the waiter, and they can order what they want if something pleases them.

"INVITE THEM OVER FOR A FAST INSTEAD"

:icon_rotflmao: :SmileyLaughingTears:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Poor Arabs...first we bomb them and keep them down, then we take over their talent shows

the comments are pretty funny..pissed off arabs trying to rationalize how this girl can be so good at singing in Arabic, they even imply she is Arab (she is off English and Scottish derivation from Boston)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Poor Arabs...first we bomb them and keep them down, then we take over their talent shows

the comments are pretty funny..pissed off arabs trying to rationalize how this girl can be so good at singing in Arabic, they even imply she is Arab (she is off English and Scottish derivation from Boston)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! First of all, the music is just :facepalm:. But that show is just a direct ripoff of American shows like American Idol. Second, they are trying to claim this woman is Arab? LMAO!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! First of all, the music is just :facepalm:. But that show is just a direct ripoff of American shows like American Idol. Second, they are trying to claim this woman is Arab? LMAO!

Ah the mandolin thing is kind of cool but the singing a whole other thing entirely

The YT comments are really funny though "she is just an arab american who dyed her hair" "why does she talk funny? she is not an american" they obviously don't know about New Eng accents.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The one time they made dinner at home for me and some friends it was obvious that they don't use their kitchen much. They treated it like it was a room they didn't know they had. They did admit to eating out "a lot" which I took to mean every night of the week. Personally I don't understand such a dining regimen of relying on others for daily sustenance, but if it works for them then fine. At least that way they can have their neurotic needs met.

I agree with you on the bottled water chick. That's just crazy behavior on her part.