Flotsam and Jetsam

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That part actually made me laugh. No offense to the vets whom I respect, but the Missouri would not in any way have been properly worked up to sail. It's a museum ship and has been since 1999. Why would it have fuel, lubricants (without which the propeller shafts would have seized up right away), shells, propellant and all the other needs right there? not to mention they were WAY short of enough men to even minimally work the ship.

If it's fun enough I can always give it another try.

With only about 20% of Americans knowing that we still have forces engaged in combat (A-stan) is it any surprise that so many liberties can be taken with US military custom and courtesies not to mention the technicalities of weapons and vehicle usage? No it isn't.

As silly as they may seem, I can only think of 2 movies that got the modern Army even close to correct- Pauly Shores IN THE ARMY NOW--particularly the basic training scenes shot at Ft Sill in real Barracks with real recruits as extras. And Danny Devito's RENAISSANCE MAN- sot on Ft Jackson in real- though old- barracks and classrooms on post-all the Army personnel except the principle players were actual soldiers (a small thing-they took the liberty of placing this on screen Ft Jackson in the actual location of Ft Drum when they went to Canada for the theatre-small point)

Everything you saw the actors doing in basic trng in both films was accurate for the time

Everything else just takes things far afield of reality

Oh yeah, BLACKHAWK DOWN was done correctly as well--Rangers really are that full of "cheese"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With only about 20% of Americans knowing that we still have forces engaged in combat (A-stan) is it any surprise that so many liberties can be taken with US military custom and courtesies not to mention the technicalities of weapons and vehicle usage? No it isn't.

As silly as they may seem, I can only think of 2 movies that got the modern Army even close to correct- Pauly Shores IN THE ARMY NOW--particularly the basic training scenes shot at Ft Sill in real Barracks with real recruits as extras. And Danny Devito's RENAISSANCE MAN- sot on Ft Jackson in real- though old- barracks and classrooms on post-all the Army personnel except the principle players were actual soldiers (a small thing-they took the liberty of placing this on screen Ft Jackson in the actual location of Ft Drum when they went to Canada for the theatre-small point)

Everything you saw the actors doing in basic trng in both films was accurate for the time

Everything else just takes things far afield of reality

Oh yeah, BLACKHAWK DOWN was done correctly as well--Rangers really are that full of "cheese"

Full Metal Jacket. :) I personally witnessed a rifle range suicide using an automatic weapon to the head. Traumatic. Edson range.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Both the original Cap film and Winter Soldier are earning more overseas than domestic. That's not to say they aren't big hits at home - they are. For example, Winter Soldier has 237 million in 4 weeks domestic and 443 million overseas. At its current rate of box-office it could wind up in the 850 million range for box-office. Not bad on a budget of 170 million. The first film pulled in a total of 370 million on a 140 million budget.

Why the big jump? Why the critical acclaim? Two things that get mentioned a lot are that (especially compared to other recent films) the CGI is toned down and the whole film feels more like "Jason Bourne with superheroes". Maybe people are getting tired of CGI destruction orgies like Man of Steel?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Both the original Cap film and Winter Soldier are earning more overseas than domestic. That's not to say they aren't big hits at home - they are. For example, Winter Soldier has 237 million in 4 weeks domestic and 443 million overseas. At its current rate of box-office it could wind up in the 850 million range for box-office. Not bad on a budget of 170 million. The first film pulled in a total of 370 million on a 140 million budget.

Why the big jump? Why the critical acclaim? Two things that get mentioned a lot are that (especially compared to other recent films) the CGI is toned down and the whole film feels more like "Jason Bourne with superheroes". Maybe people are getting tired of CGI destruction orgies like Man of Steel?

I think you are right. The level of destruction seen in Man of Steel was so over the top it was ridiculous. Even in kaiju movies we didnt see as much as that! The only thing that outdoes it was 2012 (the movie). Why does it have to be so over the top? Although I thought that in parts, Pacific Rim went there too. :) I watched it last night.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Does leave one wondering what the reaction will be to Godzilla. Then again, with Godzilla having cities leveled is part of the expectation.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
seen on every college & high school campus in the USA:
zombieapocalyse_zpse3daa46d.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
More flotsam & jetsam -- watched a lifetime movie last weekend with snookie - Mike Dopud was set up to be the bad guy but wasn't.

I didn't know that "white christmas" is a racist song- seems some black people were upset that that a black singer sang "White Christmas"...give me a break!!(see tweets in article: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ally-ambiguous-holiday-season-christine-sisto#!)

I had a weird allergic reaction to some plug-in scented oils in my house- I got hives behind my ears. :P thanks to several heavy doses of Benadryl and airing out the house (it got to 45 in the house .....COLD! ) my ears and neck are back to normal. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More flotsam & jetsam -- watched a lifetime movie last weekend with snookie - Mike Dopud was set up to be the bad guy but wasn't.

I didn't know that "white christmas" is a racist song- seems some black people were upset that that a black singer sang "White Christmas"...give me a break!!(see tweets in article: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ally-ambiguous-holiday-season-christine-sisto#!)

I had a weird allergic reaction to some plug-in scented oils in my house- I got hives behind my ears. :P thanks to several heavy doses of Benadryl and airing out the house (it got to 45 in the house .....COLD! ) my ears and neck are back to normal. :)

:rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::crying-028:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
now i'm not sure if the allergic reaction was to the oils or a new med I was on. Hives around the ears & neck were specifically mentioned as a side-effect! :daniel01:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
now i'm not sure if the allergic reaction was to the oils or a new med I was on. Hives around the ears & neck were specifically mentioned as a side-effect! :daniel01:

I have a similar reaction to clove oil. No hives, but an itchy patchy rash wherever it touches my skin. Essential oils are quirky to use. I use a lot of Tea Tree Oil, but it makes one of my cats vomit repeatedly when I open it so I do it outside.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

OMG...I heard some dumbass elementary school teacher chastize a child because they were separating the Good and Plenty candies into black and white. WHAT???!!! I myself tend to still segregate all my M&Ms, Skittles, Gummy Bears, etc. Not cause Im a racist! Just cause it's fun to do. :) White Christmas refers to snow, and last I looked, snow was WHITE, okay? Some blacks are too busy being black to be just PEOPLE.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have a similar reaction to clove oil. No hives, but an itchy patchy rash wherever it touches my skin. Essential oils are quirky to use. I use a lot of Tea Tree Oil, but it makes one of my cats vomit repeatedly when I open it so I do it outside.

I never cared for lavender* but awhile back I got a sample bottle of pure vegetable liquid lavender soap. So I diluted it in distilled water in a spray bottle and used it as a natural cleaner. At the same time I got really itchy, rash symptoms on my skin. Took me awhile to figure it out -- my body doesn't care for lavender oil at all.

I do use Trader Joe's Tea Tree oil bar soap though. It's fairly mild stuff and doesn't dry out my skin like other soaps do.

*Only a few people on this board will get the irony of a gay man saying "I never cared for lavender". :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OMG...I heard some dumbass elementary school teacher chastize a child because they were separating the Good and Plenty candies into black and white. WHAT???!!! I myself tend to still segregate all my M&Ms, Skittles, Gummy Bears, etc. Not cause Im a racist! Just cause it's fun to do. :) White Christmas refers to snow, and last I looked, snow was WHITE, okay? Some blacks are too busy being black to be just PEOPLE.

in a related manner...

"the witch must burn!!!!"

saying "all lives matter" is also now apparently a racist statement

http://reason.com/blog/2014/12/10/a-college-president-had-to-apologize-for

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I never cared for lavender* but awhile back I got a sample bottle of pure vegetable liquid lavender soap. So I diluted it in distilled water in a spray bottle and used it as a natural cleaner. At the same time I got really itchy, rash symptoms on my skin. Took me awhile to figure it out -- my body doesn't care for lavender oil at all.

I do use Trader Joe's Tea Tree oil bar soap though. It's fairly mild stuff and doesn't dry out my skin like other soaps do.

*Only a few people on this board will get the irony of a gay man saying "I never cared for lavender". :icon_lol:

Is that MELEUCA (sp?) TREE oil?

great stuff-even for pet "hot spots" and awesome for fish in tanks or ponds for "ich" and other scale issues

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is that MELEUCA (sp?) TREE oil?

great stuff-even for pet "hot spots" and awesome for fish in tanks or ponds for "ich" and other scale issues

I only know it as "Tea tree oil". And the stuff I get is right in the bars of soap. It's fairly mild I have found.