FEAR THE WALKING DEAD gets fresh writing, new meat and Lennie James

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i get it though

this last season of twd i watched ep 1 and mid season finale and then the last ep in patches through YT

i watched the first ep of ftwd of this season for shits and giggles to see how Morgan was used mostly..was it same time as TWD is now or earlier,etc?

i have been slightly pleased by the show and watched eps2 and 3 as well

Nick's dying was exquisite--not the action of death, just getting him off the show

so far, i think they may have 'saved' the show for hardcore TWD fans, but i am thinking it is going to go ways like twd has too much and i will lose interest soon

I know this is fantasy/horror, but the timelines of this zombie world they have made for TWD and FTWD is several years old, isn't it? Or does the story move way slower in the series and there is much less time? Zombies would not still exist after two years tops, just because they rot. Really more like 6 months. And where are all the thousands of zombies coming from in the rural areas? Why would the zombies go there and not the cities where there are more potential meals? I need to be able to suspend belief to enjoy the story, but I can't do that anymore.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They don't seem to rot in the world of The Walking Dead...

I know this is fantasy/horror, but the timelines of this zombie world they have made for TWD and FTWD is several years old, isn't it? Or does the story move way slower in the series and there is much less time? Zombies would not still exist after two years tops, just because they rot. Really more like 6 months. And where are all the thousands of zombies coming from in the rural areas? Why would the zombies go there and not the cities where there are more potential meals? I need to be able to suspend belief to enjoy the story, but I can't do that anymore.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for a far-fetched premise initially, like people turning into zombies. But the more that realism goes out the window the more I give up on the story. Having bodies reanimate immediately after death when they're still fresh is one thing but having them ambulatory and mobile years after they've turned simply defies basic biology. The premise goes from being entertaining to downright insulting at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And where are all the thousands of zombies coming from in the rural areas? Why would the zombies go there and not the cities where there are more potential meals?

yeah, i know

but i play 'devils advocate' for the show i guess

<<and i am sure you all know, i am not a fan really, due to my completion disease :) i do feel an urge to look in from time to time>>

most people have left the cities in the shows

we saw an attempt of an explanation in ftwd s1
the military was going to move people out of the cities to rural areas where they could better secure and organize

in places where they were not at they initially tried to let survivors know to move out of towns and cities to these 'safe areas'

and in other cities, survivors were more or less forced out from the military bombing/napalming cities to burn the dead. this we saw, for like a minute in s1 on twd with Atalanta getting toasted

also, in reality, lets look at just how much our and many other, armies despise operating in cities under any circumstances; short lines of sight, too many hidden areas mean more troops needed to clear and secure buildings

an open area or small town can be cleared,secured and defended/ "govt" organized much more easily and effectively

then, the dead respond to noises..apparently over some very long distances

at the onset, the dead would have followed the convoys and all the noise survivors would have made leaving the cities

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
here is an expert on the rot

http://www.mtv.com/news/2358856/walking-dead-zombie-decomposition/

but that is real world. i am pretty sure a tptb would just say somethinglike "well, the virus that creates reanimation in the first place also serves to slow down the metabolism of regular corpse decay"

blah blah blah

i think that the manner of death--just how damaging the death was to the body (explosion, burning, mutilated, eaten, etc) is a big factor as well

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And now that they killed off Madison they have officially wiped out the original cast. So this is a true reboot of the show.

And now that they killed off Madison they have officially wiped out the original cast. So this is a true reboot of the show.

I find this hilarious! I thought they'd keep her until the end but I don't mind being wrong. Clearly the writers are scrambling to "fix" things now that the ratings have dropped for this whole franchise. I've said this before but I think TWD and FTWD would make for great examples of what not to do for writers studying the craft.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
here is an expert on the rot

http://www.mtv.com/news/2358856/walking-dead-zombie-decomposition/

but that is real world. i am pretty sure a tptb would just say somethinglike "well, the virus that creates reanimation in the first place also serves to slow down the metabolism of regular corpse decay"

blah blah blah

i think that the manner of death--just how damaging the death was to the body (explosion, burning, mutilated, eaten, etc) is a big factor as well

You would make a great public defender! But this one is going down. I think that magic can be safely introduced now in TWD. Bring on the evil troll who lives in the forest and gives the zombies the ability to live for years. I distinctly remember a severed torso crawling on the ground in Season 1. Wanna try to explain that one? :)

twd_torso.jpeg

You would make a great public defender! But this one is going down. I think that magic can be safely introduced now in TWD. Bring on the evil troll who lives in the forest and gives the zombies the ability to live for years. I distinctly remember a severed torso crawling on the ground in Season 1. Wanna try to explain that one? :)

View attachment 34164

Yes, it's about time they introduced the zombie/human hybrid baby that magically grows into adulthood overnight. Of course the "zombaby" will also have psychic powers and will be able to read minds and will be able to move objects just by thinking about them. The "zombaby" will also be female. Magic alien/zombie/vampire hybrids are always female.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it's about time they introduced the zombie/human hybrid baby that magically grows into adulthood overnight. Of course the "zombaby" will also have psychic powers and will be able to read minds and will be able to move objects just by thinking about them. The "zombaby" will also be female. Magic alien/zombie/vampire hybrids are always female.

you forgot about the lustrous hair blowing back as if in a breeze. Even when no apparent cause of blowing hair is nearby....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

View attachment 34164

yes your Honor... :)

but really though, even in the real world, I am pretty sure that a massively traumatic death would result in a quicker rot in general then say a death by heart attack

not talking the metabolism of the 'on board' rot in a human but more so external factors speeding things up..animals, bugs ,etc attracted by the open wounds and all

i do know from experience that a body shredded by shrapnel MOST certainly attracts desert roaming dogs much sooner then a body with no apparent wounds or far less minimal wounds

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In any case Z Nation did a FAR better job on the Zombaby type plot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

ALWAYS! And "zombaby", you better go out and trademark that! :happy0007:
you forgot about the lustrous hair blowing back as if in a breeze. Even when no apparent cause of blowing hair is nearby....

Lemme see what I can come up with using a gif of Lexi....:)

Easier...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't you remember Murphy's baby OM? The one that was telling its mommy where to find daddy before it was born? They did the whole thing to make fun of the "miracle baby" trope.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't you remember Murphy's baby OM? The one that was telling its mommy where to find daddy before it was born? They did the whole thing to make fun of the "miracle baby" trope.

Yes, but it somehow made sense. Just like you said, they handled it well by not making it overt (or Murphy's zombie connection). But Z Nation has a much more fluid foundation, similar to the way they did the first Tremors movies in terms of the character interaction.

In any case Z Nation did a FAR better job on the Zombaby type plot.

Yeah ZNation gets a pass because they were obviously trolling that hackneyed meme.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I love Z Nation in part exactly because it knows to put humor in the story. Also because it is far better acted and directed, better pacing, etc.

I love Z Nation in part exactly because it knows to put humor in the story. Also because it is far better acted and directed, better pacing, etc.

I agree and would add that the producers of Z Nation seem to have a respect for the budget they're given. The show runners know how to make use of a limited budget without having to rely on a lot of boring, naval gazing scenes where the characters just stand in a room and talk and talk and talk to fill time. This is the sign of a really good production team that understands what they are there to do. Compare this to the teams over at TWD/FTWD and it's no contest. The people at Z Nation run circles around those plugs over at AMC.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Madison in FTWD was always a complete mystery to me. I am still surprised they did not have her telling her children to put on sweaters before going out (season1). The whole show is a complete waste. Here it is at the end, and they accomplished exactly NOTHING.