FEAR THE WALKING DEAD gets fresh writing, new meat and Lennie James

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so i switched my 'live tv' from hulu to directv now. it is far easier to navigate then hulu's set up and more to offer as well as free movies on demand

anyhow..i watched the first ep of ftwd and it really wasn't so bad because I could on DTV NOW without paying extra

but then, it was a lot of lennie james (Morgan) and IMO, he is the best actor on either show so...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's basically a different show as they effectively rebooted if at the end of last season.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's basically a different show as they effectively rebooted if at the end of last season.

Can you sorta give the reboot changes in a nutshell? I initially was excited to watch it because I thought we would get a zombie apocalypse story in a more heavily populated area )like the city or the suburbs). I don't like watching this zombie stuff taking place in rural settings. To me, the rural folks would have it easy in a zombie apocalypse. They show hundreds of zombies in The Walking Dead, but where did they come from? Most farming communities have less than 10,000 people in them.

Can you sorta give the reboot changes in a nutshell? I initially was excited to watch it because I thought we would get a zombie apocalypse story in a more heavily populated area )like the city or the suburbs). I don't like watching this zombie stuff taking place in rural settings. To me, the rural folks would have it easy in a zombie apocalypse. They show hundreds of zombies in The Walking Dead, but where did they come from? Most farming communities have less than 10,000 people in them.

I understand it's easier for them to film the show in a rural setting and/or on the water, but that crap gets old fast. The lack of realism when it comes to the setting is a big reason I stopped watching these shows.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I understand it's easier for them to film the show in a rural setting and/or on the water, but that crap gets old fast. The lack of realism when it comes to the setting is a big reason I stopped watching these shows.

Okay, but they also made the characters from that setting. I know, the comics have it that way for TWD. But Fear The Walking Dead was supposed to be the city version, not necessarily from any comic story and they blew their chance in order to stitch it to TWD. I dunno...TWD feels like a dark mirror version of The Waltons (if you remember that show).

Okay, but they also made the characters from that setting. I know, the comics have it that way for TWD. But Fear The Walking Dead was supposed to be the city version, not necessarily from any comic story and they blew their chance in order to stitch it to TWD. I dunno...TWD feels like a dark mirror version of The Waltons (if you remember that show).

It all comes down to the producers deciding to be as cheap as possible in terms of sets used. For TWD they use the same rural Georgia roads for the area surrounding Alexandria as they did for when they were near Atlanta. It's insulting to the viewers. Same thing with how FTWD started. We were expecting to see a fair amount of Los Angeles and we got very little of it. By season 2 LA was gone and they conveniently made it to open water, which is perhaps the cheapest backdrop you can get for a show. And later, what they showed of Mexico was boringly cheap also. These producers are cheap cheap cheap. I'm not going to give them anymore of my time.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But Fear The Walking Dead was supposed to be the city version,

maybe they never saw it making it out of s1? left a soft finale with them getting to the boat and mexico

kind of like tptb's saw this show as a lark and a pet project kind of thing, then, for some stupid reason amc wanted more

and yeah, it ALL gets old

predicament--compounded/confounded by walkers--half solved--more interference--personal drama--problem solved or held onto next ep

a city or rural setting, no matter, it would all get old quick with these shows

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and in anything real approaching the scenario in twd/ftwd, the rural areas should be the first areas to come under the control of govt or any organized effort

the cities-i would think, would be left alone and barricaded for the walkers to starve out or rot --some day

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically the entire setting has been changed, only two characters remain from the original cast and even the basic tone of the show is changed.

Is it better? Dunno, to me this reeks of desperation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did they actually get rid of Nick, the dirty little drug addict, or is he still part of it? :daniel_new004:

If the answer to that is yes, then that is definitely an improvement.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The holdovers are Madison and Nick.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The holdovers are Madison and Nick.

tenor.gif

Am I bad for not even wondering about Alicia or that guy with the boat? :) I really don't care. But why Nick? He is just so not worth following. I couldn't care less about him.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I confess I don't really care. This show was awful from the start and basically rebooting it won't help...

If the answer to that is yes, then that is definitely an improvement.

I agree, but of course the egotistical writers aren't going to get rid of what they consider to be an amazing character. It's pathetic and it's why I gave up on the show. I could care less about the travails of some dirty little drug addict regardless of the setting. He's not a hero and he never will be no matter what stupid story line they give him.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Did they actually get rid of Nick, the dirty little drug addict, or is he still part of it? :daniel_new004:

in ep 1 he and his sister are not seen until the last 2 mins of the ep

they are now part of some group in east texas. mom is still in the show too.

it is definitely a 'new' show and yes, that is desperation, but in the case of the first ep, that desperate urge pays off

but again, ep 1 is dominated by Lennie James and two other new characters. those two also seem to be very good actors. so much better then any of the previous cast imo

i won't get any hopes up though

--------------
PS, having the finale of twd s8 being a 'soft finale' for every season up till now is also an act of desperation.

they need to redirect that show regardless of what the comic is doing. if they dont change the vibe of that show and the plot and settings, etc. it will continue to dive

i know in the comic Negan is kept alive and they basically had to do the same in the show for the simple fact that getting rid of him would have also axed another great actor

JD Morgan and Lennie James are the only reasons, for me, the eps of twd I did watch were at all watchable the last couple of seasons

I'd bet that the choice to cast Rick Grimes as they did is often regretted

I'm sorry but the whole Morgan crossover gimmick is stupid and shows bad writing skills. It's like the writers look for ways to not tell a halfway believable story. They had a premise entirely independent of TWD that could have been interesting in itself but instead they fall back on exploiting an established character because they think it will translate into ratings. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm sorry but the whole Morgan crossover gimmick is stupid and shows bad writing skills. It's like the writers look for ways to not tell a halfway believable story. They had a premise entirely independent of TWD that could have been interesting in itself but instead they fall back on exploiting an established character because they think it will translate into ratings. :rolleye0014:

So, where are they crossing over Morgan from? The Last Man on Earth?