Fandom Menace thoughts

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Tonight Doomcock was expounding on how Trek went off the rails and he said....Trek 2009 was not the problem and was actually not bad! He pointed (like I have ever since it was released) at Into Darkness as where everything went off the rails and went so badly that though Beyond tried there was no way to fix it short of rebooting everything.

Also, he had Robert Meyer Burnett on and they talked Trek for an hour. It's philosophical underpinnings and such.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think tonight was a seminal moment for The Fandom Menace.

Doomcock tonight not only lavished (well deserved) praise on The Mandalorian finale but he also laid it out - the Fandom Menace needs to be able to react positively to good things and when shown respect to not reject. If they do otherwise then it is just complaining for its own sake.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
meanwhile gary is off the rails again o nthe new Tolkien show.. using it as a vehicle for his hate of bad robot

i stopped watching about 6 mins in

again, what he is totally missing- ASIDE from his bad robot issues- is the very reason the time setting (the second age0 was used for the show is because there is not a lot of source material on it and it gives a lot of room to 'flesh out' details in between the major events Tolkien did write about

the only thing i agree with him on is that we should not see any non white actors in it. no racism, but simply becasue the nature of the original material is tha tof a nordic styled tale

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Nice video.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Weird episode recently. Lucasfilm SJW executive Pablo Hidalgo started mocking Star Wars fans for reacting emotionally to the return of Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian. And he got blowback - not just from the fans but Disney and trade publications like Variety that usually toe the SJW line. It was basically to the tune of "these people pay your salary - stop attacking them!". So another encouraging sign that someone in the company with authority has gotten the message that attacking the fanbase is bad for revenue.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Weird episode recently. Lucasfilm SJW executive Pablo Hidalgo started mocking Star Wars fans for reacting emotionally to the return of Luke Skywalker in The Mandalorian. And he got blowback - not just from the fans but Disney and trade publications like Variety that usually toe the SJW line. It was basically to the tune of "these people pay your salary - stop attacking them!". So another encouraging sign that someone in the company with authority has gotten the message that attacking the fanbase is bad for revenue.
perhaps its bad business.. HOWEVER seeing grown men getting all weepy over a fantasy film/show, does not bode well for society

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Eh. Did they get emotional? Yes. I was happy to see Luke also but not crying; I’m more reserved than that and after all it is a TV show. But I am not going to go attack someone who did - first they are entitled to their own feelings and second I understand why they celebrated. Hidalgo attacked for no reason and was rightly told to STFU.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is cool you guys are talking about this here! I was caught up in that mess over at Twitter, and Star Wars Theory got SO MUCH support from The Fandom Menace and so many others. Knowing what a deeply dedicated fan he is, his reaction to seeing Luke in the Mandalorian is completely understandable. Hidalgo will pay. Right now, The Mandalorian IS Star wars for Disney. It is the source of all major revenue, from Grogu (Baby Yoda) merch and licensing, to viewership, to potential jumping off points for new TV series and perhaps a new trilogy. Accoring to ClownfishTV, Disney MAY retheme Galaxy's Edge into OT/Mandalorian characters. All they have to do is introduce Jakku in the Mandalorian in order to make it truly canon, then remove the Palpatine Trilogy characters and replace them with Luke, Ashoka, Mando, Grogu, Boba Fett, and possibly...Thrawn. The sequel trilogy may be silently erased or faded severely.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
By the way Doomcock is keeping up the balanced tone.

Another interesting thing unearthed was what is purported to be an early script treatment for Episode 9 - and if it is real a lot of people owe JJ Abrams an apology because while it has its daffy moments overall it is VERY respectful of the OT characters, explains Rey in a way that undoes her being a Mary Sue and follows up logically on the plot threads from The Force Awakens. Had this treatment been used instead of the garbage devised by Rian Johnson the fanbase split probably never happens.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And in a new development, Gary actually LIKES something! Wandavision to the exact.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Friday night Doomcock had on a Star Wars panel and a main thing that was covered was the recent point made by several commentators who have access to Favreau and Filoni that....the sequel trilogy has ALREADY been de-canonized.

What they point to is plot elements established in past Star Wars canon such as Rebels and yes the Sequels. Among these is dialogue in The Rise of Skywalker that indicated that Ahsoka Tano had perished a long time ago before the fall of the Empire.

Then they go to Rebels in the episode "world between worlds" where Ezra rips her out of time right before Vader would have killed her. Yes she later goes back into "reality" but not to that spot so her existence in Mandalorian was the first pointer that things have changed. Add in that this episode of Rebels came out after The Last Jedi did and the idea is Filoni saw the potential need for a retcon and put the tools in place right then.

In this future Ahsoka is there to tell Mando where to bring Grogu so he can send out his Force signal that reaches Luke. Which leads to the next change in the timeline - instead of the Dark Troopers winning and Grogu ending up in Gideon's hands Luke destroys them and takes on Grogu's training. And Grogu is thereby Luke first protege instead of Ben Solo (Star Wars comics said Ben was the first but Ben is at least 6 years in the future from the Mando timeline).

It is a bit convoluted but also hangs together logically so I do not know. If true it would say Filoni had good foresight that a retcon may be needed and wrote in the needed plot element to make it work.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interestingly, Doomcock despite being rightly upset about the Gina Carano fiasco kept his more balanced tone. This last Friday in fact the entire Friday Night Frolics had no rants or such at all and instead was sort of a big "let's be thankful we are well and appreciate each other" festival - 5 hours of it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Interestingly, Doomcock despite being rightly upset about the Gina Carano fiasco kept his more balanced tone. This last Friday in fact the entire Friday Night Frolics had no rants or such at all and instead was sort of a big "let's be thankful we are well and appreciate each other" festival - 5 hours of it.
I missed Friday Night Frolics but I can watch it. I think we can just post the streams in the threads now.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There seems to be an online campaign to deplatform and harass anyone who has an issue with the woke trends in pop culture. So far it is not really working.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can willingly admit I am not a total Fandom Menace fan. For example (as noted here) I've been ignoring Gary for a while as I am sick and tired of the negativity and the dragging politics in. Doomcock overall maintains a more positive tone, is a politics free zone and he says what I do - if the Fandom Menace does nothing but complain and does not praise when something is good and not woke then they are just whiners.

And what is interesting is that even though Doomcock is essentially the founder and in some ways the emotional leader of the Fandom Menace there is distance between him and the rest over the past few months - I think precisely because he is more tonally balanced and does not allow his material to get political.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It almost seems like their is a organized effort against anyone with Star Wars content on YT and who review SW's in the same way we do; new trilogy- bad,, old tri and new shows- good

the first video, it would seem that it is just a music copyright claim against him. but the thing is, he has permission, in writing from the artist and, when supposed music company claims it, it shows they are claiming it for another artist--one who does not seem to exist

the second vid- it looks like the woman ran up against some of those neo feminist, fake SW's fans, like the kind who were attacking Mando and Gina Carano and stuff like "boob armor". Thing here is, she went up against them about 6 months ago, and now it seems as if someone has been sifting through old tweets looking for targets

IDK,, maybe its just me?

it would suck to be a YT creator and have so many videos claimed and lose the money for them

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImb3uJtQt4&t=368s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonC7Esu00Q&t=197s

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The first one is on precarious financial ground. If the person having their videos claimed can demonstrate monetary value and that the claims are false they can sue the claimers for tortious interference with trade.