Fandom Menace thoughts

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just some miscellaneous thoughts.

First, I have come to the place where I much prefer Doomcock over Gary and the others. And the reason is that Doomcock has kept his part of the world mostly politics free and also he adheres to the motto "without respect we reject" as well as "with respect we don't outright reject". And this is how it should be.

On the other hand, Gary has gotten too negative for my tastes. And his stuff has become more political too.

Second, there is a lot of evidence out there that some in high places ARE listening to the fans. The lack of identity politics and intersectionality in The Mandalorian plus the (mostly) removal of it in Rise of Skywalker shows someone in power at Disney has gotten the message. They also seem to be doing better at enforcing to their stars and producers and writers that they are NOT to attack the fans in the press or social media et al.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just some miscellaneous thoughts.

First, I have come to the place where I much prefer Doomcock over Gary and the others. And the reason is that Doomcock has kept his part of the world mostly politics free and also he adheres to the motto "without respect we reject" as well as "with respect we don't outright reject". And this is how it should be.

On the other hand, Gary has gotten too negative for my tastes. And his stuff has become more political too.

Second, there is a lot of evidence out there that some in high places ARE listening to the fans. The lack of identity politics and intersectionality in The Mandalorian plus the (mostly) removal of it in Rise of Skywalker shows someone in power at Disney has gotten the message. They also seem to be doing better at enforcing to their stars and producers and writers that they are NOT to attack the fans in the press or social media et al.

Yes, I completely agree with you on all of those things. Gary has mixed in his personal struggles with that of the pop culture fandoms who watch him. It is a winning formula for him and his channel, but it can get off track. Doomcock has a way of mixing comedy and commentary, and his Doomcock persona is what brings it all together.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh yes! I plead guilty to being a partial perpetrator of "When Cthulhu Eyes are Smiling"... :icon_rotflmao:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Does anyone else here go to Doomcock's Friday Night Frolics? They are hilarious mostly. If yes who are you there? On YT my handle is Shin Godzilla.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Does anyone else here go to Doomcock's Friday Night Frolics? They are hilarious mostly. If yes who are you there? On YT my handle is Shin Godzilla.

I go there now and then, but I don't do the duration

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seeing as he frequently is on for 5 hours I can't do that duration either. I tend to be there at the start and the end and gone for a bit in the middle. But it is hilarious and entertaining with the singing and the playacting between Doomcock and Harvey and other characters (all voiced by the guy behind Doomcock of course).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seeing as he frequently is on for 5 hours I can't do that duration either. I tend to be there at the start and the end and gone for a bit in the middle. But it is hilarious and entertaining with the singing and the playacting between Doomcock and Harvey and other characters (all voiced by the guy behind Doomcock of course).

They make thousands in superchats during that show! It has higher viewership weekly than all of the Star Trek panels on Star Trek Day, and both Gary and Doomcock each have more subscribers than CBS All Access' YT channel itself! :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They make thousands in superchats during that show! It has higher viewership weekly than all of the Star Trek panels on Star Trek Day, and both Gary and Doomcock each have more subscribers than CBS All Access' YT channel itself! :anim_59:

As well he should! To be honest Doomcock could easily do entertainment in a nightclub setting and fill the house. He has a flair for improv and is a good singer as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In a different vein I had to laugh at the SJWs trying to cancel Baby Yoda because of the egg eating. It went nowhere and indeed when an SJW friendly interviewer on IGN tried to get Daisy Ridley to go with it she didn't - she laughed at the SJWs instead and rooted Baby Yoda on.

Interestingly, despite the issues with the sequel movies the lead actors (Driver and Ridley and Boyega) have not blamed the fans or attacked them.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, I hate to say it but after The Inquisition last Sunday night I am done with Gary until he learns to chill out a bit. Gary and Doomcock were discussing Mando and Doomcock was fairly happy with it while Gary was all piss and vinegar. I put in a comment saying that if you are calling out a show for doing something wrong then also providing an example of doing it right is VERY useful. I got attacked.

Gary's issue was seemingly that Mando felt like a bit character in his own series and constant worry that they are going to use it to promote the sequel trilogy.

Well, while I do agree that Mando has felt a bit sidelined this season I also understand why (the issues with the actor combined with MAJOR new character rollouts (Bo Katan and Ashoka) is not leaving lots of Mando time). I expect they will give him more focus later. And I am not as concerned as Gary is that this is going to be used to prop up the sequel trilogy.

I am still a proud member of the Fandom Menace, but like always I feel like balance has to be shown. Don't just tell me what the issues are give me examples where it is done right.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Gary's issue was seemingly that Mando felt like a bit character in his own series and constant worry that they are going to use it to promote the sequel trilogy.

i would say gary isn't paying a lot of attn.. he has shown this before in a few vids i watched on the last season of Mando and the new Tolkien series.

now, MIGHT the show give some connections to the new trilogy? maybe, the trilogy is out and is, unfortunately canon. but, pretty much everything in Mando so far has either been stand alone or connected to CW's, REBELS,the Original 6 as well as stuff pulled out of legends- like dark troopers and Tython

also, Din Djarin has been in every episode, the stories told are being told via his perspective for the most part.

gary is just hyperactive and seems to be struggling for video content

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think the worry ties back to things like Force Healing and the clone tanks. And he DOES have a point about Mando not being front and center in his own show this season - I just understand the reasons why both plot related and actor offscreen problem related.

I am disappointed in Gary being all negative, letting politics seep in and not being balanced. I do not think he is desperate for content given his large viewership.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the worry ties back to things like Force Healing and the clone tanks
are you speaking of each in the Mandalorian?

i'd talk about it more in the mando thread but both have been seen in canon and on screen before,, force healing is easy to miss though. and, many forget that each jedi is different in their abilities. some are so specialized in one area of the force over other areas that they did not attain the rank of Knight but were used in one of the specialty corps..those strong in the force in the ways of exploration were assigned to the Science and exploration corps. those with strong healing powers were assigned to the Jedi medical corps

some species had more innate force connections than others-- like the yoda species for example. species with greater natural force connections had greater powers and often powers that jedi of other species did not have

rey and kylo are basically force "super charged" by palpatine's meddling. the skywalker line by his playing around with midichlorians and impregnaneting Schmi. and Rey's abilities coming down from him

Vader's body was kept functioning not just by his suit and the bacta tank, but also by the dark force energy his force of will used to help keep his body alive. one reason he died so fast after he redeemed himself by turning on Palpatine

We all saw Kenobi using a mild form of force healing as well

main-qimg-4a7bbeed7918ed720c253ba8da7685bc

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was speaking of Gary's issues not necessarily mine.

Now one thing I WILL say is Rise of Skywalker (where the crazy Force powers came in) really should have had this stuff explained. They created the perfect opportunity when Rey turned to Force Ghost Luke for help. He should have explained to her that she and Kylo were linked as a Force Dyad and noted the things like healing, blasting ships out of the sky and teleportation were NOT normal and were only present with them because of the Dyad. This is because as things stand now only people who have taken in outside works know this stuff - and a basic tenet of movies is if it is not revealed on screen then it doesn't exist.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was speaking of Gary's issues not necessarily mine.

Now one thing I WILL say is Rise of Skywalker (where the crazy Force powers came in) really should have had this stuff explained. They created the perfect opportunity when Rey turned to Force Ghost Luke for help. He should have explained to her that she and Kylo were linked as a Force Dyad and noted the things like healing, blasting ships out of the sky and teleportation were NOT normal and were only present with them because of the Dyad. This is because as things stand now only people who have taken in outside works know this stuff - and a basic tenet of movies is if it is not revealed on screen then it doesn't exist.

the dyad only exists because both Rey and Kylo BOTH are "descendants" of Palpatine. Kylo via the "creation" of Anakin by Palpatine (the whole Skywalker line is descended from its creation based in Palpatine's hate of the Jedi) and Rey by her blood relation to Palpatine

i would say everything except the blasting of ships from the sky and the teleportation was mentioned/shown in CW's or REBELS if even in a small way. often times these things were done by non humanoid force sensitive creatures- like the Bendu, or the 'space whales' or the Loth wolves

with the cloning tanks, his gary concerned that this is some back door way of explaining the cloning of snoke or palpatine? if so, that too should not be an issue--cloning is well established in other on screen works, like attack of the clones and even FORCE UNLEASHED which i only bring up as more and more of that game is becoming canon over time.. i am half expecting to see Galen Marek/Starkiller or his 'girlfriend' Imperial Pilot, Juno Eclipse to make an appearance

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
here is a newer vid from Gary. AMZ's tolkien series as topic

Once again he is showing his ignorance of Tolkien's works, particularly the ones this show will be based on. Those being The Silmarillion, the Appendices of the LOTR's and some other publications regrading Numenor and the second age

GARY is going on about how there is a casting call for actors comfortable with nudity and sexualized scenes

ok.. Tolkien NEVER wrote about sex directly other than lines like "the Orcs reproduced after the fashion of the children of Illuvatar". HE very rarely wrote about women who were not a main character but he never explicitly 'erased' the obvious biological need for sex nor did he 'erase' sexualized acts like rape. so he did not write in sex scene or rape scene but he passively acknowledged the occurrence

now, for this casting call, there are several places in the source material where this can be used- 'fleshing out' the story given us in his writings. One must also remember that the Tolkien estate has approved of all of this as being 'Tolkienesque', so it will all have to complement the story from the sources

one main plot where we could see nudity,etc, is when Sauron is brought to Numenor as a prisoner and where he soon weasels his way up the power ladder of the kingdom. then he corrupts the holy places by ordering "acts of barbarity, carnage and depravity in the temple dedicated to Illuvatar". a description bringing up imagery of the worst types of pagan ritual murder and sex, all done by SAURON to destroy the moral fiber of the Numenoreans-the Men he hates the most as they are the biggest threat to his plans

And, then there are also descriptions from earlier i nthe 2nd age where numenorean explorers to middle earth enslaved native men and women.. nudity could be involved there as Tolkien described some of these tribes of being very barbaric and how the numenoreans ;'tamed them'

so yeah, GARY maybe right in his conniptions here and we may see some kind of totally unsourced debauchery, but, i dont think so

this is an example why i say gary is just trying to pump out videos.. if he did a little research he would find out the same things i put in this post

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Eh. Gary is actually on point in this as his point is warning AMZ not to bring in Bad Robot, noting that they have wrecked everything they have touched. They tend make it political and woke largely because JJs wife is the head of MeToo. Now one could counter that Rise of Skywalker for all its faults was not political - which is true. But I have to think that was more Disney putting its foot down and forbidding the woke nonsense at that point.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And back to my original thinking. I have basically stopped keeping up with Gary until he learns the lesson Doomcock learned - balance is essential. You need to both call out the problems AND praise when it is done well. To me Gary has become hard to listen too while Doomcock has become fun.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Eh. Gary is actually on point in this as his point is warning AMZ not to bring in Bad Robot, noting that they have wrecked everything they have touched. They tend make it political and woke largely because JJs wife is the head of MeToo. Now one could counter that Rise of Skywalker for all its faults was not political - which is true. But I have to think that was more Disney putting its foot down and forbidding the woke nonsense at that point.
he may be right about bad robot but his "vehicle" of using "omg sex in Tolkien!!"" is a non starter SO LONG AS said "sex" is within the settings as i outlined

i am not worried about bad robot as amz and the other principals involved are contractually obligated to the Tolkien estate to only produce material that is 'tolkienesque' and that the expert appointed by the Tolkien family has approval ability on everything

my point is that above and that Gary has once again made a video with a "shocking" grab line that fizzles to those of us-in this case- who know our Tolkien source material-- like all 15 or so books on it

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And back to my original thinking. I have basically stopped keeping up with Gary until he learns the lesson Doomcock learned - balance is essential. You need to both call out the problems AND praise when it is done well. To me Gary has become hard to listen too while Doomcock has become fun.

this is what me and ba'al and someone else here was saying last yr

too much negativity is a net negative to all but a hardcore YT fangroup.

glad to hear doomcock is not all about doom-cocking everything any longer