Falling Skies Gets Fourth Season

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's what gets me about this: The producers don't even realize how insulting they are being to the viewers when they trot out the hair-blowing fan as an effect.

View attachment 30067

Speilberg has been using that trope since Poltergeist.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Speilberg has been using that trope since Poltergeist.

It seems the majority of his stuff uses children in a magical way. :smiley-015:

The dude is, in many respects, a well-disguised hack.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It seems the majority of his stuff uses children in a magical way. :smiley-015:

The dude is, in many respects, a well-disguised hack.

I swear, if there is a scene where Lexi and Ben are on a motorcycle and then they are chased by aliens and the motorcycle starts flying....:facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dr. Glass discussion with and subsequent killing of the skitter was so stupid I actually broke out in laughter when she stabbed it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dr. Glass discussion with and subsequent killing of the skitter was so stupid I actually broke out in laughter when she stabbed it.

HAHAHAHA! So did I!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's what gets me about this: The producers don't even realize how insulting they are being to the viewers when they trot out the hair-blowing fan as an effect.

View attachment 30067

LOL...how did you make that .gif? Did you overlay the words, or did you actually make the .gif yourself? I can do it but it takes a while. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
LOL...how did you make that .gif? Did you overlay the words, or did you actually make the .gif yourself? I can do it but it takes a while. :)

I found a Beyonce gif of her hair blowing then I pasted the url to this website (you might have mentioned it awhile back, I can't remember) and then I typed in what I wanted to say. Here's the link:

http://ezgif.com/add-text

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found a Beyonce gif of her hair blowing then I pasted the url to this website (you might have mentioned it awhile back, I can't remember) and then I typed in what I wanted to say. Here's the link:

http://ezgif.com/add-text

I mentioned roflbot which lets you caption images. I am using VirtualDub to make gifs, but I have to load the whole movie in it and set my markers for the section I want to create the gif from. You crop to the selection and then save as animated gif. VirtualDub is free and you can get it here: http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmm...what am I forgetting? Oh yeah, I have to watch episode 3 of this show. Getting it now. This is not a good sign. With the new show The Last Ship, and with Continuum, I could hardly wait to watch them. This show was at least one I would remember. But I missed this last Sunday and did not even think about it until I saw the thread. Ill comment after watching.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:) These aliens in Falling Skies must be the dumbest aliens from their planet. :happy0007: It is obvious that the writers are just throwing these episodes together without regard to any logic or real storyline. They have too many things going on, and none of them are the right things. We have Tom and Hal and Weaver and Pope running with the rebels from the human ghetto that was created, and now Anne in Lexiland Gardens with Lourdes and Ben, and you have young Matt in the Nazi Youth school run by the Ishveni. You can fill quite a few episodes with complete nonsense, as we are seeing in Season 4 already. It seems that whatever the original premise was, as far as these aliens go, is gone. You have to remember, the earth was already conquered by these aliens. They had the motherships in the cities, a large alien air force, blue energy bombs which could wipe out entire cities, they had harness kids which are still running around, and they have robot mechs. Having said that, in season 4, a single unarmed man riding around on a motorcycle is able to outsmart them?

:bored:

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Much like Dominion and DEFECATION I never remember when Failing Skies is on. If these shows were well written and interesting I would be more apt to catch them. As it is I can barely sit thru an entire episode when I do catch one of these clunkers.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's not so much that Tom could outsmart the Isveni - why can't a human be smarter than an alien? It's that Tom's plan was so obvious that it would take a pretty high order of fool to fall for it. If the Isveni are really THAT stupid then it begs the question of how they ever even made it to Earth much less conquered it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not so much that Tom could outsmart the Isveni - why can't a human be smarter than an alien? It's that Tom's plan was so obvious that it would take a pretty high order of fool to fall for it. If the Isveni are really THAT stupid then it begs the question of how they ever even made it to Earth much less conquered it.

They have tiny little skitterlings that can chase people down and go inside them (Season 3), they have fighter ships, motherships, tether ships, but no lifesign sensors? No infrared? They confine humans to rooms without surveillance??? DUMB DUMB DUMB. They are stretching it out and filling it with nonsense. I liked this show for the past 3 seasons, even if I had issues with things in it. But this season...EYE. ROLL.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So over this weekend I have been burning through seasons 1 and 2 and now in 3

I find nothing "great" about this show. It is ok and watchable and entertaining, but

I think one notices more "bad" things when going back to back streaming

like the nonstop cliches that they have Weaver spouting, the kids with guns thing, the grownups with guns thing-where none of them seem to know one thing about safely handling a weapon

if I see one more scene where there are ppl in the background walking up and down the hallway (in a secured location mind you) at port arms--my FF button is going to wear out

the shipping the shipping the shipping

who thought that anyone would believe that putting blankets on the hod of a vehicle would make it so a high tech alien race would not be able to detect them? And, we are to believe that the only method of detection the aliens have is heat sig?

And, I don't care if it is Hollywood fantasy, if you put an actor in a uniform of the US military then make them shave and cut off their friggin ponytail! The Weaver character looks ridiculous with it anyhow

Last-- Who thought that British Columbia made a good set for South Carolina?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Wait till you get to season 4....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So over this weekend I have been burning through seasons 1 and 2 and now in 3

I find nothing "great" about this show. It is ok and watchable and entertaining, but

I think one notices more "bad" things when going back to back streaming

like the nonstop cliches that they have Weaver spouting, the kids with guns thing, the grownups with guns thing-where none of them seem to know one thing about safely handling a weapon

if I see one more scene where there are ppl in the background walking up and down the hallway (in a secured location mind you) at port arms--my FF button is going to wear out

the shipping the shipping the shipping

who thought that anyone would believe that putting blankets on the hod of a vehicle would make it so a high tech alien race would not be able to detect them? And, we are to believe that the only method of detection the aliens have is heat sig?

And, I don't care if it is Hollywood fantasy, if you put an actor in a uniform of the US military then make them shave and cut off their friggin ponytail! The Weaver character looks ridiculous with it anyhow

Last-- Who thought that British Columbia made a good set for South Carolina?

Weaver bothered me from day one. He was touted as this great military guy, but he never quite came off as anybody who would be in the military, at least not modern day military. He was more like some Civil War soldier. And that damned ponytail always bothered me. :) But still, I liked the show in seasons 1, 2 and 3. Not loved it, but it was watchable and entertaining. Towards the end of season 3, when they changed Anne Glass from smart doctor/genius/brain to Starchild Badass Whiney Mommy, it ruined things. Lexi really kills it. Not just the actress, but her presence in the show and who she is in the show. They ruined the continuity of what little story they had going by making the Ishveni stupid, and acting like they can pull all these shenanigans they have been pulling on the aliens who have already conquered earth.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It suggests the Voln have been going about everything all wrong - stop trying to out and out fight the Isveni. Just dream up ridiculous tricks which the Isveni always fall for as they appear to have the common sense and wisdom of turnips. Advanced they may be but wise they are not....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It suggests the Voln have been going about everything all wrong - stop trying to out and out fight the Isveni. Just dream up ridiculous tricks which the Isveni always fall for as they appear to have the common sense and wisdom of turnips. Advanced they may be but wise they are not....

When you realize that this entire premise takes place AFTER the Ishveni conquered earth, that is what makes it dumb. We saw overwhelming technology, sleek fighters and huge motherships armed to the hilt. We saw the harness technology, the mech robots , and the tall slender Ishveni caste who can do mind control tricks. We have seen tiny flying robots, tiny skitter robots which can enter a body and control it. So, why in season 4 do we have dumb skitters running after motorcycles? Why did we have Tom and Weaver being "held" in a poorly guarded room where Tom could go out and become The Ghost? :facepalm:. Then Lexi and this Nazi Youth School run by the Ishveni came out of nowhere, and they have stuck Matt in there. What is going on in this show now?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember, I said that the way Falling Skies portrays the Isveni "advanced they may be but wise they are not"....

Think about it. In the whole run of the show we have never gotten any logical understanding of why they even attacked Earth in the first place much less a cogent description of what they plan to do with it and humanity. Their behavior has been erratic the whole run of the show also. It's like the creators had what they thought was a really cool setting but did not bother to construct the premise behind the setting in any detail at all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Saw the latest one.

Honestly I started laughing at points because the plot line so far this season is so stupid. Lexi is a genetically engineered super weapon? The Isveni want to make humans into super skitters? Then why have the Hitler Youth setup? Plus now we have Isveni politics. Good grief!

On the good side Mira Sorvino did a nice turn as a new character.

Just remember....

"Advanced they may be but wise they are not"