Falling Skies Gets Fourth Season

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Must kill all humans.. WWWWWWWWEEEEEE flying space ship!...wait where was I? Oh yeah.. Must kill all humans....weeeeeeeeee!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Weaver bothered me from day one. He was touted as this great military guy, but he never quite came off as anybody who would be in the military, at least not modern day military. He was more like some Civil War soldier. And that damned ponytail always bothered me. :) But still, I liked the show in seasons 1, 2 and 3. Not loved it, but it was watchable and entertaining. Towards the end of season 3, when they changed Anne Glass from smart doctor/genius/brain to Starchild Badass Whiney Mommy, it ruined things. Lexi really kills it. Not just the actress, but her presence in the show and who she is in the show. They ruined the continuity of what little story they had going by making the Ishveni stupid, and acting like they can pull all these shenanigans they have been pulling on the aliens who have already conquered earth.

Weaver IS the type one would see in the National Guard==one who has never been active duty first. Though they say (the Dale Dye character--who by the way, should freaking know better when it comes to these military inaccuracies. like when they had him wearing his nametapes backwards-some military expert) was active duty for 6 yrs or so.

I forgot, anyone noticed how they plopped those lame assed fake palmetto trees to male "Charleston" look like it is S.C.?

The "starchild" fast growth thing is nothing more than a direct lift from SG1, I guess tptb thought they could get away with it due to so much passage of time since sg1.

And why would it not be "preferable" to be evacuated from a war zone to Brazil? Why not let a superior alien force fight for you? Instead we have a band of New England rednecks with a couple of "intellectuals" thrown in for spice, roving the eastern seaboard looking for a fight with a superior alien force--dumb.

I said it earlier, but it really irks me to see all those ppl walking around--like inside the charleston "city" underground, a secure area--with loaded weapons at port or ready arms. No one does that in real life. It is a recipe for disaster, accidental discharge and deaths or outright crime.

And does the TPTB production team use the same junkyard for props as SGU did? The city streets of Charleston look a hell of a lot like that city in the one sgu ep where they found the abandoned planet (with the city that looked like Pittsburgh?) I think there was even one store sign the same--a tobacco shop.

What's next in S5? (I am guessing there will be one) They will capture an alien ship, start fighting the enemy in space. They will capture a alien fighter and reverse engineer it to build their own "x-301"...uh wait, that was done already! Shouldn't matter to them though.

Other then SG, I see so many other shows in this. Not necessary visual ones, but plot ideas, like the fighter becoming President; a human force on the run from aliens; all the standard shipping. It goes on and on--just set on Earth.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Remember, I said that the way Falling Skies portrays the Isveni "advanced they may be but wise they are not"....

Think about it. In the whole run of the show we have never gotten any logical understanding of why they even attacked Earth in the first place much less a cogent description of what they plan to do with it and humanity. Their behavior has been erratic the whole run of the show also. It's like the creators had what they thought was a really cool setting but did not bother to construct the premise behind the setting in any detail at all.

Having just watched all of s1-3 over the past few days...Being the devil's advocate for stupidity here--in S1 when they took Tom on board the Ishveni ship to see chief fishhead-it did give a lame, partial reason for invading as being "humans ruining the planet" thing. I guess they are the cosmic cure for global warming

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True, but note I said LOGICAL understanding. For all their advanced tech the Isveni act so stupid I'm surprised that they did not accidentally blow themselves up when they attacked Earth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Weaver IS the type one would see in the National Guard==one who has never been active duty first. Though they say (the Dale Dye character--who by the way, should freaking know better when it comes to these military inaccuracies. like when they had him wearing his nametapes backwards-some military expert) was active duty for 6 yrs or so.

I forgot, anyone noticed how they plopped those lame assed fake palmetto trees to male "Charleston" look like it is S.C.?

The "starchild" fast growth thing is nothing more than a direct lift from SG1, I guess tptb thought they could get away with it due to so much passage of time since sg1.

Dude, the magical starchild thing goes all the way back to the original V TV series with Elizabeth. :) It was followed up in Poltergeist, Damien (kind of), the latest V series on ABC, SG1 with Adria, and now Falling Skies. It is now officially a "trope". :)

And why would it not be "preferable" to be evacuated from a war zone to Brazil? Why not let a superior alien force fight for you? Instead we have a band of New England rednecks with a couple of "intellectuals" thrown in for spice, roving the eastern seaboard looking for a fight with a superior alien force--dumb.

THIS! The Volm gave them weapons last season, where are they now? They need to be a combined force, not separate. Its just dumb, I completely agree.

I said it earlier, but it really irks me to see all those ppl walking around--like inside the charleston "city" underground, a secure area--with loaded weapons at port or ready arms. No one does that in real life. It is a recipe for disaster, accidental discharge and deaths or outright crime.

And does the TPTB production team use the same junkyard for props as SGU did? The city streets of Charleston look a hell of a lot like that city in the one sgu ep where they found the abandoned planet (with the city that looked like Pittsburgh?) I think there was even one store sign the same--a tobacco shop.

Yeah, it does seem familiar. But you only notice it because the dialogue and the story have become so lame that the background is more interesting. :)

What's next in S5? (I am guessing there will be one) They will capture an alien ship, start fighting the enemy in space. They will capture a alien fighter and reverse engineer it to build their own "x-301"...uh wait, that was down already! Shouldn't matter to them though.

Other then SG, I see so many other shows in this. Not necessary visual ones, but plot ideas, like the fighter becoming President; a human force on the run from aliens; all the standard shipping. It goes on and on--just set on Earth.

Unless they kill off Lexi, I am hoping there is no season 5.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Saw the latest one.

Honestly I started laughing at points because the plot line so far this season is so stupid. Lexi is a genetically engineered super weapon? The Isveni want to make humans into super skitters? Then why have the Hitler Youth setup? Plus now we have Isveni politics. Good grief!

On the good side Mira Sorvino did a nice turn as a new character.

Just remember....

"Advanced they may be but wise they are not"

My eyes are still rolling a full day after seeing the "Isveni politics" plot contrivance. I mean seriously, a rivalry??? :rolleye0014:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
True, but note I said LOGICAL understanding. For all their advanced tech the Isveni act so stupid I'm surprised that they did not accidentally blow themselves up when they attacked Earth.

It's impossible to believe that a species that can traverse the galaxy would be unable to subdue humans without issue. Why don't they just seed the atmosphere with a tranquilizer? It would be impossible for people to avoid breathing the air for long periods of time. Problem solved.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's impossible to believe that a species that can traverse the galaxy would be unable to subdue humans without issue. Why don't they just seed the atmosphere with a tranquilizer? It would be impossible for people to avoid breathing the air for long periods of time. Problem solved.

This show has become so dumb now, that if you asked the showrunners what the premise is, they would only be able to say "Uh, it takes place after aliens attack and conquer earth". That's about it. Perhaps stupidity is their weapon? Last season, they had little spy robots that went into the eyes of people, and could break out of glass or metal containers. Did those run out? Why didnt they put them in Weaver and Tom when they "held" them in the ghetto town? Why no mechs? :facepalm:

Why cant we see what is going on in space? EVER?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Probably the series finale will show us that none of this ever happened, as we transition to Weaver lying in an alley high as a kite after drinking an entire bottle of LSD thinking it is cough syrup and discover the whole thing has been his delusion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Probably the series finale will show us that none of this ever happened, as we transition to Weaver lying in an alley high as a kite after drinking an entire bottle of LSD thinking it is cough syrup and discover the whole thing has been his delusion.

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

weaver3.jpg

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
The idea of "It happens after the aliens have conquered Earth" is still a good idea, just needed a little explanation. How to explain it; basically during the initial invasion of Earth it was the Alien military which handled it, overwhelming force, firepower and technology obliterated the military of the Earth, then the Alien Military was sent away thinking the resistance was all but defeated like they have done countless times on previous, so when the colonists arrived only to realize now they have an indigenous force which is effectively resisting them and with no military around to combat them.

This can be used to explain (to a degree) some of the decisions made by the occupying alien force, they are colonists not military personnel, it also explains the varying levels of technology (some of which was left behind by the military but they have a limited number of them, so they have to manufacture from local assets which isn't as good quality) but it also adds in a secret ticking clock, the call for reinforcements. Basically the resistance only has a certain amount of time before the full brunt of the alien military is down upon them again.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I only watched the first few eps of FS and kinda lost interest . Was busy with TWD so maybe I'll give it another shot . I've skipped through all your comments as I am one of those people that if I see the preview or read it ,,, I have seen the whole movie . I really miss the way they use to grab your attention . Just watch the preview for ET and you will understand what I mean .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The idea of "It happens after the aliens have conquered Earth" is still a good idea, just needed a little explanation. How to explain it; basically during the initial invasion of Earth it was the Alien military which handled it, overwhelming force, firepower and technology obliterated the military of the Earth, then the Alien Military was sent away thinking the resistance was all but defeated like they have done countless times on previous, so when the colonists arrived only to realize now they have an indigenous force which is effectively resisting them and with no military around to combat them.

This can be used to explain (to a degree) some of the decisions made by the occupying alien force, they are colonists not military personnel, it also explains the varying levels of technology (some of which was left behind by the military but they have a limited number of them, so they have to manufacture from local assets which isn't as good quality) but it also adds in a secret ticking clock, the call for reinforcements. Basically the resistance only has a certain amount of time before the full brunt of the alien military is down upon them again.

Cool explanations, but they need to be made by these writers and shown in the show. There are no webisodes. Also, if you think about your explanation of the military leaving, and the lesser occupying force was left behind, the appearance of the Volm would have recalled the departing military fleet by now. Entire squadrons of Ishveni fighters have been downed by the Volm weapons, and they have been given to the humans as well. Also, it is unlikely that the military would have been separate from the invasion force, because the motherships were shown in the beginning as being bases for the fighters. This season, no motherships and not many fighters? We see Ishveni "blimps" now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I only watched the first few eps of FS and kinda lost interest . Was busy with TWD so maybe I'll give it another shot . I've skipped through all your comments as I am one of those people that if I see the preview or read it ,,, I have seen the whole movie . I really miss the way they use to grab your attention . Just watch the preview for ET and you will understand what I mean .

I liked the show because it was the best of the remaining post-apocalyptic series that came out. Terra Nova was one (got canceled), Primeval New World was one (got canceled). Falling Skies was decent first season, and season 2 was not that bad. Season 3 was dicey but had great CGI. We got to see more Ishveni advanced tech. But this season, it is if they all had lobotomies and are reduced to the intelligence of deer or perhaps rodents. In episode 1 of season 4, we see mechs and fighter ships drop those force field generators around the ghetto town. But once they did that, they let them run around and plot escape routes? How did Pope get so close to such a critical juncture where the tether was connected to the ship?

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I liked the show because it was the best of the remaining post-apocalyptic series that came out. Terra Nova was one (got canceled), Primeval New World was one (got canceled). Falling Skies was decent first season, and season 2 was not that bad. Season 3 wasdicey but had great CGI. We got to see more Ishveni advanced tech. But this season, it is if they all had lobotomies and are reduced to the intelligence of deer or perhaps rodents. In episode 1 of season 4, we see mechs and fighter ships drop those force field generators around the ghetto town. But once they did that, they let them run around and plot escape routes? How did Pope get so close to such a critical juncture where the tether was connected to the ship?

You bastard ,,,Did you know how difficult it was for me not to skim through your updates on the show ? I'm trying to look away as I type !!! LOL !!!

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Cool explanations, but they need to be made by these writers and shown in the show. There are no webisodes. Also, if you think about your explanation of the military leaving, and the lesser occupying force was left behind, the appearance of the Volm would have recalled the departing military fleet by now. Entire squadrons of Ishveni fighters have been downed by the Volm weapons, and they have been given to the humans as well. Also, it is unlikely that the military would have been separate from the invasion force, because the motherships were shown in the beginning as being bases for the fighters. This season, no motherships and not many fighters? We see Ishveni "blimps" now.

True don't get me wrong, not trying to defend the writers or the show but just stating how easy it can be to explain things, mostly through characters observing the current enemy force with the one they faced during the first assault. As for the military not leaving, well as said, the military worked so well in previous conquests arrogance got the better of them in this case, they didn't expect this level of resistance from humans. Maybe the mother ships left behind were some token colonial force, mostly just there for show of force and keep the local populace at bay but nothing in the way of hardware used during the initial attack.

Once again it goes into the planning, how we see things develop over the course. These kind of ideas could very well easily remove the unnecessary fluff you get in shows, characters thinking things through, just realizing how screwed they really are and it could possibly get worse.

As for the Alien military not showing up, again there could easily been an episode to stop the transmission from being sent, a joint operations mission with the Volm.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True don't get me wrong, not trying to defend the writers or the show but just stating how easy it can be to explain things, mostly through characters observing the current enemy force with the one they faced during the first assault. As for the military not leaving, well as said, the military worked so well in previous conquests arrogance got the better of them in this case, they didn't expect this level of resistance from humans. Maybe the mother ships left behind were some token colonial force, mostly just there for show of force and keep the local populace at bay but nothing in the way of hardware used during the initial attack.

Once again it goes into the planning, how we see things develop over the course. These kind of ideas could very well easily remove the unnecessary fluff you get in shows, characters thinking things through, just realizing how screwed they really are and it could possibly get worse.

As for the Alien military not showing up, again there could easily been an episode to stop the transmission from being sent, a joint operations mission with the Volm.

Well...I am certain that the militaries of the earth fought the aliens during the initial invasion, and gave them much more resistance than the 2nd Mass. Most likely they used everything we have. BUT, since we do not get to see that, we never know. Did nukes ever get used? If they had, it seems to me that the (evidently) not so high tech Ishveni ships would have been toast early on. Tom is a freakin HISTORY TEACHER in this show! :smiley-laughing011: He becomes leader of the 2nd Mass? How/when did they take out NATO, our submarines, our surface defences? Wouldn’t a trained Special Forces team be able to do the same damage as this Ragtag Redneck Regiment is doing or more?

:bored:

I liked this show. Now....

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basic rule of thumb that goes for both TV and movies-if I don't learn about it on screen it didn't happen. This is one reason we rip Defiance.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Basic rule of thumb that goes for both TV and movies-if I don't learn about it on screen it didn't happen. This is one reason we rip Defiance.

This is the end result of "the past is prologue" school of screenwriting advocated by hacks like Syd Field. These morons have driven that stupid writing technique so deep into the brains of writers coming of age that it's SOP for scripts nowadays. I absolutely despise this gimmick and shows like Failing Skies are an example why. Quite simply I cannot develop any empathy or sympathy for the characters because they don't exist in an explained context. They just suddenly exist in a massively changed world and as viewers it's up to us to fill in the blanks. We get this lack of context with Failing Skies, The Wanking Dead and DEFECATION -- all of which take place in worlds that are never explained. In short, this is nothing but arrogance to cover up the ineptness of the writers. It's also a bunch of shit. These "writers" deserve to get colon-munching tapeworms -- all of them!

It's one thing to have minor details of the story exist in the past, but that isn't an issue since it rationally follows that those details from the past that inform the story will be explained fully (if it's a well written story). It's quite another to open the story in a world created by past events without detailing or rationally explaining what happened; especially when those events are central to informing the entire story itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is the end result of "the past is prologue" school of screenwriting advocated by hacks like Syd Field. These morons have driven that stupid writing technique so deep into the brains of writers coming of age that it's SOP for scripts nowadays. I absolutely despise this gimmick and shows like Failing Skies are an example why. Quite simply I cannot develop any empathy or sympathy for the characters because they don't exist in an explained context. They just suddenly exist in a massively changed world and as viewers it's up to us to fill in the blanks. We get this lack of context with Failing Skies, The Wanking Dead and DEFECATION -- all of which take place in worlds that are never explained. In short, this is nothing but arrogance to cover up the ineptness of the writers. It's also a bunch of shit. These "writers" deserve to get colon-munching tapeworms -- all of them!

It's one thing to have minor details of the story exist in the past, but that isn't an issue since it rationally follows that those details from the past that inform the story will be explained fully (if it's a well written story). It's quite another to open the story in a world created by past events without detailing or rationally explaining what happened; especially when those events are central to informing the entire story itself.

THIS. And it isnt just a failing of the writers, it is a failing of the AUDIENCE that keeps watching and paying to watch this garbage. The producers see higher numbers for one show, and lower for another, and they make no connection to the fact that cable subscribers are just watching the least of the crap. Choosing fresh turds over half dried ones. The focus in all these shows is the "interpersonal interactions" (in other words, soap). Drama writers are dime a dozen, and they are the vast VAST majority of Writers Guild members. Science fiction writers have been tossed to the heap along with real musicians, stage actors, real food and non-GMO veggies. Everything now is packaged mass produced "targeted" garbage.

This is why it is NOT okay to settle and not be demanding when it comes to entertainment. If people watch, they serve up more.