Falling Skies Gets Fourth Season

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Falling Skies had a weird history. It started out ridiculous (remember Season 1 and part of Season 2 where all the women were perfectly coiffed while the men were scruffy?), got decent in the middle and now at the end is descending into utter goofiness.

You made me reflect back on the many faces of this dumb show from season 1 to now.

Season 1 had the Isveni motherships in every city, each capable of launching flying ships which carried "blue bombs" capable of wiping out entire cities. You had Mech robots patrolling the towns, and children being captured and fitted with those creatures with spikes. We saw flying spy bugs which can enter the eyes, tiny skitters which could eat through walls and get inside of people, etc. Anne was a competent and brilliant doctor, and the "Mason Clan" was the arbritrary center of the show. We had Lourdes and prayers being said, and Pope was undefined. Seasons 2 and 3 brought the Volm, Lexi, the superhero powers connected to the spikes, hordes of skitters (at this same time, the Isveni ships were just about gone and we never saw the motherships or the advanced stuff they had in season 1). The Volm seemed to be to be useless except when a deus ex machina was needed. This last season is pure filler. The writing equivalent of packing popcorn.

Season 4

shipping_packing_peanuts.JPG=600.jpeg

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is this show finally over?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is this show finally over?

Unoficially, it was over in season 1. :) After tonight's series finale (planned), it will be over. They had this season to wrap things up and they did not even TRY to wrap it up cleanly. I imagine it will be a magical event which destroys Isveni everywhere because their queen is obviously going to be killed tonight at the Washington Memorial. I still do not understand why this show was written to showcase "The Mason Boys". They are unremarkable characters, and Tom was never the type of leader the show wanted him to appear to be. I cannot see a seasoned military man like Weaver taking orders from Tom Mason. Anyway, the point is moot...Mason will save the earth in a single episode.

Oh, wouldnt it be grand if they pulled a "Hey, it was only a dream!"? Have Tom wake up with his wife and kids surrounding him. Then at the last second...a nurse walks in, and it is Lexi (her eyes glow briefly). The end.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Goodness, at least DEFECATION had the good sense to quietly slink away from the scene of the crime. :stung:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Goodness, at least DEFECATION had the good sense to quietly slink away from the scene of the crime. :stung:

This season was built up as some sorta "Big ending of the war and the triumph of Humanity (vis a vis The Mason Boys)". But the whole season has been filler, dumb drama and adding MORE characters! Dumb dumb dumb. There should have not been a single minute devoted to Maggie telling Hal that she removed her spikes just for him. She obviously is better matched with Ben. I think Anne lost it pretty much. She should have just gone out in a blaze of glory with a suicide bomb delivered to the Isveni personally. Why did they even bring Lexi back even briefly? Could the Volm have been any more useless?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was a weird show. The start of it felt at time like SGU, what with all the women looking like they had immediate access to beauty salons and such. Then it seemed to hit a period where it was actually pretty decent. Following that (which seemed to extend to shortly after the Volm came in) it just seemed to meander - especially the Volm where it became clear the writers had no overall plan for them.

No sadness at its departure here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was a weird show. The start of it felt at time like SGU, what with all the women looking like they had immediate access to beauty salons and such. Then it seemed to hit a period where it was actually pretty decent. Following that (which seemed to extend to shortly after the Volm came in) it just seemed to meander - especially the Volm where it became clear the writers had no overall plan for them.

No sadness at its departure here.

I would have watched a show about the Volm home planet being attacked and invaded by the Isveni, without earth or any of the human characters in this dumb show. There were more interesting characters in the show than the Mason Boys. I thought Hal was a good character, but Ben was by far the best actor and most well balanced character in the entire show. I came to like Weaver with his down to earth, gritty demeanor. I liked Anne when she was the genius doctor. Still, the whole thing seemed dumb because we never got the real backstory, and it looks like we never will. Nobody seemed to talk about how suddenly our local solar system is crawling with alien races like the Volm, the Isveni and this third race they introduced this season. Nobody is concerned that the Volm might just decide to move into earth after we conveniently destroyed their mortal enemy. What about the earth cities? What about the other humans? And really....who cares now?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....all the wasted earlier episodes are indeed coming home to roost.

The queen was potentially interesting - for all 5 minutes we saw of her. Then they threw the bio bomb. After which all the Isveni exploded (no kidding - they did - skitters and all).

The pacing was WAY too fast, again because they jammed into an hour what should have taken two or three.

Oh, and Hal proposed to Maggie and she accepted.

And Anne died. And Pope showed up and died - again. And then the surviving aliens from the race who the Isveni made into the Skitters revived her. The series then jumped into the future and had Mason addressing the world from a Washington being slowly rebuilt talking about the new world without borders.

Like I said, they wasted so much time earlier on that the finale was very rushed and felt incoherent as a result.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The queen was potentially interesting - for all 5 minutes we saw of her. Then they threw the bio bomb. After which all the Isveni exploded (no kidding - they did - skitters and all).

The pacing was WAY too fast, again because they jammed into an hour what should have taken two or three.

And Anne died. And Pope showed up and died - again. And then the surviving aliens from the race who the Isveni made into the Skitters revived her. The series then jumped into the future and had Mason addressing the world from a Washington being slowly rebuilt talking about the new world without borders.

Like I said, they wasted so much time earlier on that the finale was very rushed and felt incoherent as a result.

Wasn't Tom Mason originally an early American history professor? Big surprise that the writers had him end up being a "founding father" of the new world. We didn't need a telescope to see that one coming. :rolleye0014:

What happened to Ben? He's the only character that I was able to tolerate watching for any length of time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pretty much nothing happened to Ben - he didn't even get the girl (Hal did for some bizarre reason).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I was going to scream SPOILERS!!!! But then I realized I don't give two shits. :) Im gonna watch it though...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oops....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pretty much nothing happened to Ben - he didn't even get the girl (Hal did for some bizarre reason).

He got the girl. :) His brother will always remember that fact.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, just watched it. It was definitely a deus ex machina using that capsule thingie. ALL of them exploded? Everywhere? Okay. :) And Anne did die, but the aliens brought her back to life for Tom and we see her pregnant in the future with him and his brothers and the rest of the gang (except Pope). And the Volm are just milling about, being useless. It was a bright ending, however vapid.

Buh Bye, Falling Skies!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I decided to watch this last episode after watching maybe one episode the entire series in fast forward, which i erroneously assumed was spent on some kid's homework (I posted it here somewhere).

So far, I've had to hit pause once at the heart-warming "I won't make it, Jim" scene where the dude is cradling the other dude with a big hole in the chest as they look at each other with a farewell gaze. Looks to be just under 4 minutes in.

I paused it because I forgot that I penciled myself in for a 45-minute wall-staring session. I'm done so I'm diving back in. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 2 and its a great watch ... Man them aliens is tall and ugly
;) ;) ;)

You just keep on watching, buddy! You sure are in for a treat.
:smiley-laughing011:

lexiblow2.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ugh....did you have to remind us.....:smiley-015: