Falling Skies Gets Fourth Season

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wow was this episode maudlin....

Between Anne mourning Lexi and Cochise mourning his father the only thing missing was an ongoing violin soundtrack. Oh, and psycho Pope is back. More like this and I'll start rooting for the Isveni...

I was busy watching The Strain at the same time so I only saw Failing Skies during the commercials. From what little I saw it looked like I made the correct viewing choice for the night. (I'm sorry but what little I saw of the Cochise/"Papa-don't-die-on-me!" story line had me rolling my eyes so hard in my head that they almost fell out.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow was this episode maudlin....

Between Anne mourning Lexi and Cochise mourning his father the only thing missing was an ongoing violin soundtrack. Oh, and psycho Pope is back. More like this and I'll start rooting for the Isveni...

Why are they continuing to do the drama? It is WIND DOWN time! This is the last season. Let's show some major human victories. More destroying Ishveni resources. More pew pew, and perhaps give us some hopeful scenes of humans rebuilding. What the hell are they doing?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Never did this show before, just did all 4 season plus new ones. I like it more than 1rst season but I feel a bit like "24" syndrome with it. You can only go so long with this premise or it gets boring. They need to win at some point and that will end the show. I would say they should call it in season 6 and give way to a prequel or sequel and stop the weekly almost die/almost win, which is getting annoying.

I have coined a new phrase from this show, I call it my "falling skies" hug. You know where you were supposed to be dead again and I get you back again, and I give you a huge hug again and say how happy I am you are alive....again? yeah, that one. You could almost make a drinking game out of it.

This is the last season. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....now they all get captured by humans who have been brainwashed by the Isveni. Plus Pope is in full psycho mode still looking to kill Mason and his kids over what happened to Sara - who never would have wanted him to act like that.

It feels like the writers misunderstood the purpose of this season - to provide a proper conclusion to the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And....now they all get captured by humans who have been brainwashed by the Isveni. Plus Pope is in full psycho mode still looking to kill Mason and his kids over what happened to Sara - who never would have wanted him to act like that.

It feels like the writers misunderstood the purpose of this season - to provide a proper conclusion to the story.

And THAT is why I do not plan to watch the rest of this season. I strongly believe they will give it the dreaded Unhappy Ending which winds up nothing and simply ends.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well that was another wasted episode....

Worse, I have a real sinking feeling that Lexi is about to reappear....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well that was another wasted episode....

Worse, I have a real sinking feeling that Lexi is about to reappear....

LMAO! There are like...three episodes left! Yet, they are still doing the drama, dinking around with the characters and adding new twists. They will be very dumb to try and cram a decent ending into the remaining episodes. We will get probably no real ending except perhaps somebody will die (a Mason). I will not watch it until others have.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well it looks like we have a new Isveni supership or superweapon that Cochise never mentioned.

Why oh why could they not just have a clean wrapup? Even have the victory in the second to last episode so they can use the finale to wrap up the character storylines? Instead we've had a bunch of filler more or less to this point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well it looks like we have a new Isveni supership or superweapon that Cochise never mentioned.

Why oh why could they not just have a clean wrapup? Even have the victory in the second to last episode so they can use the finale to wrap up the character storylines? Instead we've had a bunch of filler more or less to this point.

This show went to crap in season 3 and never came back from it. At this point, they cannot really cleanly end it. They wasted this season with crap and there are now only a couple of episodes left and they are acting as if the show has another season.

BTW: Is Anne still in this?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Moon Bloodgood is still in it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. Moon Bloodgood is still in it.

So, is she playing a spare tire or a table or something? She started out as a brilliant doctor, then they changed her into frantic Space Baby Momma, then into Badass Beotch, now what is she? (you don't have to answer that). :) This show literally crumbled before my eyes. I look back on the thread and see that I used to like it. Now, I cannot even watch it because I was expecting a great ending and they could not even get that right.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not able to sit thru an entire episode of this show. The forced drama and dastardly twists are rather tedious and boring. I'll dip a toe into an episode and watch for awhile but then am hit by a wall of stupid so I have to change the channel.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I think this super bad thing will be used against bad guys and defeat them. I also wonder if ground work is being set up for a mini-series sequel.

Oddly just like Defiance, I think a prequel of invasion might have been more interesting.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Like Defiance it placed us I'm Medias Res (In the Moment). However unlike Defiance it actually did explain enough of the story world for character actions to make at least some sense. Only this season did Defiance explain the Pale Wars and how Earth got to be how it is at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like Defiance it placed us I'm Medias Res (In the Moment). However unlike Defiance it actually did explain enough of the story world for character actions to make at least some sense. Only this season did Defiance explain the Pale Wars and how Earth got to be how it is at all.

They actually did that? Did they SHOW it too? If so, I would watch again just to see that. :)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
The Omec had a lot to do with it. I really liked what they did with that. Defiance has gotten steadily better while FS is going down a cliff. This season has had too many filler eps, inching along a main story point. Now, at least Mason has many more solider's under "his" command and they are marching on Washington D.C. (writer's private dig?) so we have that spoon fed to us along with the mongo alien device and some mysterious other big bad...perhaps it will culminate into a finale.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think this super bad thing will be used against bad guys and defeat them. I also wonder if ground work is being set up for a mini-series sequel.

Oddly just like Defiance, I think a prequel of invasion might have been more interesting.

Oh, I certainly hope not!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They did flashback sequences this season in a couple of episodes of Defiance to explain how Nolan came to be a Defiant One, meeting Irisa and so on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They did flashback sequences this season in a couple of episodes of Defiance to explain how Nolan came to be a Defiant One, meeting Irisa and so on.

They did that in episode 1. We already know how they met, that Nolan saved her, and why he ended up in Defiance. Was it new?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes it was new. It showed Nolan as a soldier, him finding and raising Irisa and such. I would have wanted more, especially more concrete information on the state of the world but it was better than what we had before, which was nothing.