Falling Skies Discussion Thread *spoilers*

S

Stonelesscutter

I think this ep was probably the best one so far.
We got to see some revealing stuff like the kids being turned into skitters and the skitters working for other aliens. (I know these things have been speculated on before but this was the first time we actually got to see it)
This episode was a little bit too much focused on Weaver for my taste. I guess I just don't really like him.
Pope found a way to battle the mechs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Falling Skies Episode 8: GREAT EPISODE!

I think this ep was probably the best one so far.
We got to see some revealing stuff like the kids being turned into skitters and the skitters working for other aliens. (I know these things have been speculated on before but this was the first time we actually got to see it)
This episode was a little bit too much focused on Weaver for my taste. I guess I just don't really like him.
Pope found a way to battle the mechs.

I liked this episode a lot. I actually LIKED IT, and didnt just think it was the least crappy of all crappy episodes. If only as much balance had been in the other episodes, it would have been AWESOME to have this one come along. I was pleasantly surprised at the range of emotions they allowed us to see in Weaver, to see him on the verge of breaking and then being encouraged all over again. I loved seeing the little blond kid moving away from whiney girly boy to young man wanting to get a piece of the skitters. I loved the (already predicted by Rac80) transformation of the children into skitters, and the reveal of the ruling caste aliens. I liked the closeup of the ship and the revelation that their technology is basically nothing more than recycled junk from our world instead of otherworldly metals and exotic shields and beam weapons. I loved the encouragement from developing a new weapon against the skitters, and I liked the fleshing out of these characters in new dimensions.

This episode made me actually want to see more! :joy:. The connections and weird alliances of some humans with the aliens is intriguing, and now we know the skitters were children first, we have the future threat from Mike's son and Ben turning into skitters. Somebody was listening! God Girl was just SMART girl in this episode, and her character plays well off Moon's character. They could just lose the blonde bad-ass gun chick at this point. This show doesnt need a T&A quotient to be successful, if the writing continues in this fashion. Its actually becoming more science fiction action show with good drama than a soap with some science fiction and action thrown in.

This reminds me of the first season of SG-1, where I didnt like it until like 10 episodes in. I could see liking this show a lot. I hope it doesnt take a tranquilizer :(

S

Stonelesscutter

Wow. Looks like I already found a second member for that "Save Falling Skies" website the guys were talking about. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I agree....great ep!

I liked this episode a lot. I actually LIKED IT, and didnt just think it was the least crappy of all crappy episodes. If only as much balance had been in the other episodes, it would have been AWESOME to have this one come along. I was pleasantly surprised at the range of emotions they allowed us to see in Weaver, to see him on the virge of breaking and then being encouraged all over again. I loved seeing the little blond kid moving away from whiney girly boy to young man wanting to get a piece of the skitters. I loved the (already predicted by Rac80) transformation of the children into skitters, and the reveal of the ruling caste aliens. I liked the closeup of the ship and the revelation that their technology is basically nothing more than recycled junk from out world instead of otherworldly metals and exotic shields and bean weapons. I loved the encouragement from developing a new weapon against the skitters, and I liked the fleshing out of these characters in new dimensions.

This episode made me actually want to see more! :joy:. The connections and weird alliances of some humans with the aliens is intriguiging, and now we know the skitters were children first, we have the future threat from Mike's son and Ben turning into skitters. Somebody was listening! God Girl was just SMART girl in this episode, and her character plays well off Monn's character. They could just lose the blonde bad-ass gun chick at this point. This show doesnt need a T&A quotient to be successful, if the writing continues in this fashion. Its actually becoming more science fiction action show with good drama than a soap with some science fiction and action thrown in.

This reminds me of the first season of SG-1, where I didnt like it until like 10 episodes in. I could see liking this show a lot. I hope it doesnt take a tranquilizer :(

Yep last night's ep was GREAT!!! I loved Matt and Pope...too funny, poor Tom never realized that when you tell a child to stay away from someone that makes the person more interesting to them.:P especially since I am sure the kids knew that Pope had tried to save them from the turncoats- so that would also make the "bad" guy look more interesting.
I liked seeing "karen" again and the idea that the less time you have the harness the less likely you are to transform into a skitter.so the faster they rescue the kids the better.
i still want to know if Rick's hair was the ugly wig from sgu. :P
I liked the storyline with old lady collaborator-- very WWII- ish feeling to that. She didn't mind turning people in as long as she got her luxuries!:P leaves a way for Hal to get Karen back...you know that is going to be his goal from now on! :rolleyes:
I felt the show was finally living up to it's promise of a good scrience fiction drama...with more scifi and less drama...a better balance. if the two hour finale is this good I will be eagerly waiting for the next season.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
WTF is this, an alt-universe GateFans???

I wake up today and the prime movers of this site are all gushing like stabbed squee drones about how great Failing Skies is. Did someone spike the water cooler in the break room or something? Don't worry friends, I'll get the harnesses removed safely before you turn into full-blown squee drones!
:rotflmao:

No worries really, if this show is improving that's a good thing. As sci-fi fans we all want that and I think that attitude shows that we aren't cynical haters for the sake of hating. It's an optimistic view to take and I hope the show continues to improve. Since I only saw 20 minutes of the last episode I don't know all that they showed. If they answered some of the nagging questions that's cool (and about time). Hopefully they will give more clarity in the season finale and also in season 2. If the show is just finding its stride let's hope it doesn't go the way of BSG in the manufactured drama department. Fingers crossed!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wake up today and the prime movers of this site are all gushing like stabbed squee drones about how great Failing Skies is. Did someone spike the water cooler in the break room or something? Don't worry friends, I'll get the harnesses removed safely before you turn into full-blown squee drones!
:rotflmao:

No worries really, if this show is improving that's a good thing. As sci-fi fans we all want that and I think that attitude shows that we aren't cynical haters for the sake of hating. It's an optimistic view to take and I hope the show continues to improve. Since I only saw 20 minutes of the last episode I don't know all that they showed. If they answered some of the nagging questions that's cool (and about time). Hopefully they will give more clarity in the season finale and also in season 2. If the show is just finding its stride let's hope it doesn't go the way of BSG in the manufactured drama department. Fingers crossed!

Ape, if you had stopped watching this show, please at least watch THIS episode. I guarantee you will like it. :)

G

Graybrew1

I stopped watching it too, Shaved.;)

Too many births, baby showers and kiddies for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I stopped watching it too, Shaved.;)

Too many births, baby showers and kiddies for me.

Not even a week ago, I felt the same way (proof in this very thread). Having said that, this last episode could just about erase all of the facepalm sweat collected over the past 7 episodes...its that good. :)

G

Graybrew1

Not even a week ago, I felt the same way (proof in this very thread). Having said that, this last episode could just about erase all of the facepalm sweat collected over the past 7 episodes...its that good. :)

I will think about looking for it. And Maybe watching it one more time.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
did it explain why you got all the facepalm marks though OM?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
did it explain why you got all the facepalm marks though OM?

:icon_e_confused: uh...yeah, those.....give em one more episode like this last one and they will be gone for sure. :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I saw about 20 minutes of this episode. I'll probably catch the whole thing in reruns. I'll watch the season finale I'm sure. My fear is that this episode everyone likes so much might simply be a one-off. If they slide back into the illogical, boring drama that would kill any budding interest for me. But if they keep up the pace and scifi style that you say they've begun to do then chances are I would watch.

Regardless of what I think though the show will be back for another season. Obviously it's doing well enough with the style and tone to keep going for awhile. And to be honest my wish is that it continues to do well. Like I've said before, I'm not a hater for the sake of hating, I actually do want good scifi like I think we all do. It's great how our opinions reflect the style and tone of the show each week. When it's too melodramatic and non-scifi we balk but when it leans more towards good scifi with legitimate drama we appreciate it.

Oh, and I'm not saying I won't give the show a chance if it continues to improve. All I'm saying is based on the track record so far I'm wary, that's all. Optimistic, but wary. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
OK, first off the two hour finale was actually two back to back episodes (at least according to my on-screen cable guide). I thought they were well done. Where was this action the first seven weeks? :rolleyes:

We got some more insights on the harness kids, some fight back from the 2nd Mass, and a huge cliffhanger reminiscent of Close Encounters! Now we have to wait until next summer to see where this goes? :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OK, first off the two hour finale was actually two back to back episodes (at least according to my on-screen cable guide). I thought they were well done. Where was this action the first seven weeks? :rolleyes:

We got some more insights on the harness kids, some fight back from the 2nd Mass, and a huge cliffhanger reminiscent of Close Encounters! Now we have to wait until next summer to see where this goes? :facepalm:

Im gonna get this now! :joy:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Im gonna get this now! :joy:

Enjoy! I'm starting to care about some of the characters and now we have to wait until next summer to see what happens to them. Arrrghhh. :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I tend to agree with SS, where was all this action in the previous episodes? I do give them props for delivering though and keeping things moving. I'm not sold on the character's motivations so much, but overall it's certainly not terrible as sci-fi shows go. It's definitely not worthy of being lumped in with the likes of SGU, that's for sure.

Long haul until the next season though.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I tend to agree with SS, where was all this action in the previous episodes? I do give them props for delivering though and keeping things moving. I'm not sold on the character's motivations so much, but overall it's certainly not terrible as sci-fi shows go. It's definitely not worthy of being lumped in with the likes of SGU, that's for sure.

Long haul until the next season though.

It's worse out here dude:( :P