Eureka Cancelled! Maybe They Needed Room for Another Paranormal Reality or Wrestling Show...

G

Graybrew1

Syfy are fools, those numbers could have bounced back easily. Instead they will put some crap on that will be cancelled in a year or less. Over and Over again.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am already working on figuring out how this will affect my dark schemes.

I just assumed getting Eureka cancelled was one of your dark schemes, go figure.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Someone ****** up. That about sums it up. Not very happy with Syfy.

What ticks me off is how they announce a shorter season renewal and then back out of it. I was content with the show ending after a a shorter Season 6, but this truly is bad PR.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Syfy no longer just sucks, it blows.
This is not the "space Scifi" we all yearned for, but it was entertaining.
Now they are taking our watered down scifi away too?

What crap will they put in it's place?
Alpha's is still pretty bad IMO. Haven has been a let down this year. Another one bites the dust. This network needs to get a clue. I really watch VERY little of that network anymore, and it used to be my favorite.:mad::(

Perhaps they're bidding to bring Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares over from BBC?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Someone ****** up. That about sums it up. Not very happy with Syfy.What ticks me off is how they announce a shorter season renewal and then back out of it. I was content with the show ending after a a shorter Season 6, but this truly is bad PR.
Syfy's PR department couldn't spin a record mate, they have been doing it for at least 2 years now. Seriously, If I was in charge of Syfy, i'd fire the lot of them, to release information and then within some 48 hours do a total backflip is just nuts. Syfy's name wasn't worth much to it's fans before, but it just gets pogressively worse with each announcement. People don't care WHY it happened or HOW it happened, they just see Syfy "moving away from Scifi". Honestly, they could not organize a piss up in a brewery....:facepalm:

G

Graybrew1

Syfy's PR department couldn't spin a record mate, they have been doing it for at least 2 years now. Seriously, If I was in charge of Syfy, i'd fire the lot of them, to release information and then within some 48 hours do a total backflip is just nuts. Syfy's name wasn't worth much to it's fans before, but it just gets pogressively worse with each announcement. People don't care WHY it happened or HOW it happened, they just see Syfy "moving away from Scifi". Honestly, they could not organize a piss up in a brewery....:facepalm:

I agree, I could care less about why they fraked up. They just did. I don't expect them to care about the fans, it is a business.
They could at least try to run their business in a way that makes sense. That would have been nice. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree, I could care less about why they fraked up. They just did. I don't expect them to care about the fans, it is a business. They could at least try to run their business in a way that makes sense. That would have been nice. ;)
You're right, they are doing things from a business point of view, and from a business point of view, the decision makes sense, Eureka is running close to be unsustainable as a show, sad, but that's the facts acording to the shows own showrunners :(. HOWEVER, having said that, you are also right in saying fans just don't care anymore, everything has been handled so badly by the PR dept as to be a total joke, stupid Smeg Heads.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob

Yeah but this basically tops a lot of their other PR issues. lol. Instead of Imagine Greater it should be "Indian Giver" lol.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah but this basically tops a lot of their other PR issues. lol. Instead of Imagine Greater it should be "Indian Giver" lol.
I don't know if it was their worst gaffe mate, but it sure as hell is right up there. Here's the thing though, and it ties into what the showrunneres have said themselves. Syfy actually WANTED more Eureka, it was the bean counters in NBC/Comcast that said drop the hammer on it, and, in typical style, the PR dept totaly stuffed it up and made it worse :facepalm:. As for the fans, they just get to see "Syfy cancells Eureka" as a headline, and then just see red. Lets face it brian, you know better than most how much fun dealing with "angry fans" can be buddy!

G

Graybrew1

:laughing:Green!!

I hope they don't make another I heart Syfy month after this. :P The last one was so well planned too. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I dont get it...who pays NBC (or whatever studio) for the production? How is viewership monetized, and what determines when Syfy cancels something as opposed to when the studio cancels it? there seem to be FOUR players in these deals:

1. The studio that produces the shows (handles contracts with actors, production crews or independent production companies, provides the finished shows)
  2. The media provider that airs the shows (cable, TV, Netflix, Hulu+, Syfy, etc)
  3. The advertisers who pay for the show (via slot sales. They pay the media providers who then pay the studios for the product)
  4. The audiences of the shows (the audience metrics determine what the advertisers pay for slots during the airing of the shows, and thus control the money flow indirectly)
Do I have it about right? If this is so, then if the numbers are massaged a bit, cant a show still be profitable at say...1.6 million viewers per week (minimum)? I remember distinctly you saying that if SGU had started getting a consistent 1.6 that it might be able to float. Eureka is getting 2.1 or higher, so why the cancellation? :facepalm: My brain is bluescreened. The studios should start producing the series in complete form and then canning them for sale later as a COMPLETE series. They could air a single season of it, then cancel it and offer the complete 5-year series on DVD. How is that for a business model? The onloy downside I see there is the initial outlay of the studio money to produce the shows without revenue from the media provider AT THAT TIME. They would still get their money, only later after they sell the series to a channel or perhaps just a season at a time. Fans would buy the DVD's for any other seasons.

Ill tell you, if I knew that V was available for a total of 5 seasons, I would have still watched the first two seasons on TV live and then bought the last three seasons on DVD...even at over $150.00 for the whole set. :icon_e_wink:. I would pay even more for a full 5 seasons of Surface. I would be willing to pay $25.00 for just the resolution of the cliffhanger it was left on.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
  1. The studio that produces the shows (handles contracts with actors, production crews or independent production companies, provides the finished shows)
  2. The media provider that airs the shows (cable, TV, Netflix, Hulu+, Syfy, etc)
  3. The advertisers who pay for the show (via slot sales. They pay the media providers who then pay the studios for the product)
  4. The audiences of the shows (the audience metrics determine what the advertisers pay for slots during the airing of the shows, and thus control the money flow indirectly)
I think each of these categories can be broken down further and each sub category has a part to play. For example, with Eureka you have for #2Media provider- Syfy=> NBC/Universal=>Comcast. For #4 audience you have total viewers and then the various demos. And as to advertisers, they pay different at different times of the year, if I understand correctly.

I'd almost love to take a media class to see how this all works and all the factors and factions fit together.

Each show probably has a different break-even point and if contracts are being negotiated upwards or obligatory union raises kick in, combined with the producers not willing to cut back on production values, I suppose I can see why it was a close call. But still, I loved the show and wish they could have made it work!:mad:

ETA: As with SGA and SGU, we also need to look at the creative talent writing and producing the shows, not just the studios. I'm sure JM and BW were not negotiating their interests from exactly the same perspective as MGM or Spyglass.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Bummer. I wonder how much longer Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 will last?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
G

Graybrew1

Bummer. I wonder how much longer Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 will last?

Bite your tongue. :eek:

They give us a Scifi Monday and then take it away?
They should just gather up all the scifi shows they have and put them on one night.
They should all fit now, right? :P