Eureka Cancelled! Maybe They Needed Room for Another Paranormal Reality or Wrestling Show...

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I never saw a single episode of this show. :) Not that I didnt like it, its just that the premise didnt grab me at all. I just never could get into the convoluted thing with a town that is secret and a bunch of alleged geniuses and a Defense Department connection...meh. I can always watch later in a rewatch. :)

indeed.

S

Stonelesscutter

We should start a "Save Eureka!" campaign now that we know their intentions. Perhaps we're not too late. Perhaps we can still make a difference. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

I caught some episodes of Eureka and I did enjoy the eps, like the one where people drowned in this expanding water thing, then there's the one where they lost their memories.

All in all, I enjoy the show. :)

Besides the Sheriff guy is pretty attractive.

I prefer Lupo myself. :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Sorry to hear this Eureka fans :(.

So now that Eureka will be cancelled after season 5,what's next on their to kill list? Sanctuary? I think that show will be next....Even though it has been renewed for a 4th season, does anyone really care whether they watch it on syfy or not?

Also, I am still curious how syfy is able to pull numbers(ratings wise) given the overall poor decisions and negative criticism it has received over the years...

G

Graybrew1

It was entertaining to many. I don't expect all to love it. I did settle a bit in the beginning, but I grew to enjoy it.
How about a scifi sewing show, or needle point, or cow poo pitching? WTH is next Syfy?

I stood by that network through all the other cancellations and defended it for months. Frak em. I am fraking done. :mad:

G

Graybrew1

So now that Eureka will be cancelled after season 5. What's next on their to kill list? Sanctuary? I think that show will be next....even though it has been renewed for a 4th season, does anyone really care whether they watch it on syfy or not?

Also, I am still curious how syfy is able to pull numbers(ratings wise) given the overall poor decisions and negative criticism it has received over the years...

They simply don't give a **** about quality anymore. They only want to make cheap crap and feed it to the morons that most Americans are now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We should start a "Save Eureka!" campaign now that we know their intentions. Perhaps we're not too late. Perhaps we can still make a difference. :D

Name a turtle after it! Send things to the studio (not sure what it should be with Eureka). They sent apples for Caprica, and they sent tissues and condoms for SGU (not sure about that one, just hearsay :P), so, send...like...jelly beans or pencils or something. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

So now that Eureka will be cancelled after season 5,what's next on their to kill list? Sanctuary? I think that show will be next....even though it has been renewed for a 4th season, does anyone really care whether they watch it on syfy or not?

I want Syfy to go bankrupt and then for a real science fiction channel to take over. I can see a Mystery Theater 3000 cable channel. How about an on-demand series on Netflix? I could soooooo see a non-paid (supported by advertisements) Netflix Channel streaming to my phone. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

I want Syfy to go bankrupt and then for a real science fiction channel to take over. I can see a Mystery Theater 3000 cable channel. How about an on-demand series on Netflix? I could soooooo see a non-paid (supported by advertisements) Netflix Channel streaming to my phone. :)

Weren't you the one who was all like "I frakkin' hate commercials. That's why I love Netflix because they don't have commercials."?

S

Stonelesscutter

Name a turtle after it! Send things to the studio (not sure what it should be with Eureka). They sent apples for Caprica, and they sent tissues and condoms for SGU (not sure about that one, just hearsay :P), so, send...like...jelly beans or pencils or something. :icon_lol:

Perhaps sending Rubik's cubes would work. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Weren't you the one who was all like "I frakkin' hate commercials. That's why I love Netflix because they don't have commercials."?

Yes, I hate them with a passion. But business-wise, it is still the best business model for media providers. It removes the need of the provider to come up with the cash to produce (or co-produce) shows, and it does not require a performance quotient for the media provider, just the advertiser. Metrics are done by Neilsen, so the provider has incentive to do it. Its the same model driving Syfy and all the other cable channels, but for Netflix it could afford to keep a show on the channel list even if live viewership wasnt up to snuff (what live viewership?). It could change the way things are done.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I caught some episodes of Eureka and I did enjoy the eps, like the one where people drowned in this expanding water thing, then there's the one where they lost their memories.

I love how you let a daddy fetish inform your viewing choice here. :P

S

Stonelesscutter

Yes, I hate them with a passion. But business-wise, it is still the best business model for media providers. It removes the need of the provider to come up with the cash to produce (or co-produce) shows, and it does not require a performance quotient for the media provider, just the advertiser. Metrics are done by Neilsen, so the provider has incentive to do it. Its the same model driving Syfy and all the other cable channels, but for Netflix it could afford to keep a show on the channel list even if live viewership wasnt up to snuff (what live viewership?). It could change the way things are done.

Could be. I'd take it anyway it came, as long as Eureka was not gonna be canned.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh for crying out aloud peeps. Eureka is being canned because it can't continue to turn a profit. Eureka is a expensive show to make these days and even the Eureka PTB are not suprised at the decision and even said the Syfy people were fighting for them. The decision to axe it was not Syfy's but NBC's. Shit, I'm pissed because I like Eureka and don't want it to end either, but I cannot use the same logic that I applied to SGU and then not use it for Eureka just because I happen to like the show now can I?

G

Graybrew1

Oh for crying out aloud peeps. Eureka is being canned because it can't continue to turn a profit. Eureka is a expensive show to make these days and even the Eureka PTB are not suprised at the decision and even said the Syfy people were fighting for them. The decision to axe it was not Syfy's but NBC's. Shit, I'm pissed because I like Eureka and don't want it to end either, but I cannot use the same logic that I applied to SGU and then not use it for Eureka just because I happen to like the show now can I?

What are these ratings that are not turning a profit?
SGU ratings were in the basement and disgusting.
They still gave them a chance by moving nights. They just cancel Eureka, a proven past hit.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

Ya, Colin Ferguson does nice things for me. He was also hilarious at the Comic Con.

Salli Richardson, who plays Allison on Eureka, also played Teal'c's wife.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

So now that Eureka will be cancelled after season 5,what's next on their to kill list? Sanctuary? I think that show will be next....even though it has been renewed for a 4th season, does anyone really care whether they watch it on syfy or not?

Considering that Eureka was cancelled, even after the network had ordered another six episodes, I wouldn't put it past them to cancel Sanctuary at the drop of a hat, and deciding that they weren't going to renew it, after all.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What are these ratings that are not turning a profit?SGU ratings were in the basement and disgusting. They still gave them a chance by moving night. They just cancel Eureka, a proven past hit.
Eureka's ratings are around the 2.1 mill mark last time I checked. Quite simply they are in the same postition SGA was when it ended, a close shave, but probably doable as long as the ratings held or upticked further. What we are really seeing is many shows are getting closer to the 5 year mark at the same time, and thats generally when contract negotiations and such come into play more prominantly. It sucks, badly, but it's just the situation we are in. :(