Eureka Cancelled! Maybe They Needed Room for Another Paranormal Reality or Wrestling Show...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
S

Stonelesscutter

Frakkin' SyFy motherfrakkers!
They just keep on cancelling good shows.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well Eureka's been on for quite a long time. However ending on a season 5 is good. Beats 2 years *ahem SGU*

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well Eureka's been on for quite a long time. However ending on a season 5 is good. Beats 2 years *ahem SGU*
The point, my dear Trop, is that a six episode mini-season, as they had originally ordered LAST FREAKING WEEK, would have given them the opportunity to wrap things up.

However, with that not happening, I don't see how they can wrap things up in a satisfactory manner, as the show tends to end things on a cliffhanger, from season to season. Very likely, the last episode of the season/series has already been set in stone, whether or not filming has yet begun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No it was neither terrible nor childish, and this is just another poor decision by SyFy.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
what you didnt know? EUREKA is/was a terrible and childish show.
Sweetheart, darling, cupcake...

I have loved Eureka from the moment I saw the pilot episode.

Now you go back to your wrestling and "reality" paranormal shows.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
No it was neither terrible nor childish, and this is just another poor decision by SyFy.

imo it was.

Sweetheart, darling, cupcake...

I have loved Eureka from the moment I saw the pilot episode.

Now you go back to your wrestling and "reality" paranormal shows.

well ive hated it from the first episode and i was extatic when they pulled it from SWE TV for lack of intrest.

its way too goodie tooshoo family friendly drivel-esque more suited for a childrens cartoon then anything else. basicly a HORRIBLE concept for "scifi".

and nope i dont get the syfy channel here nor do i watch any such shows on here..

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not on top of the ratings for Eureka but I thought it was doing pretty good for SyFy wasn't it? I wonder if the production values have something to do with the cancellation as that show can turn out some pretty good stuff for being live action. Plus I can understand not giving an ending to a non-producer like SGU but I'm pretty sure the numbers for Eureka prove that it would be a smart idea to give the show a satisfying ending. I'd think the DVD considerations alone would be worth it.

And I hate to publicly admit this but I didn't quite understand the article in question. Is Season 5 already filmed and in the can or do they still have to produce it? Maybe they can still finagle a fairly decent ending for the show if it's not already fini.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Oh well, that sucks. I wasn't huge fan of the show, however it was a good show to watch on rainy day when you had nothing else to do. Oh well, at least we'll have 13 episodes to wrap up the show since we're still on the second half of the 4th season which first aired last year, but Syfy split up the season and aired the second half a year later (meaning right now).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
imo it was.

well ive hated it from the first episode and i was extatic when they pulled it from SWE TV for lack of intrest.

its way too goodie tooshoo family friendly drivel-esque more suited for a childrens cartoon then anything else. basicly a HORRIBLE concept for "scifi".

and nope i dont get the syfy channel here nor do i watch any such shows on here..

Meh, the "family friendly" and cartoonish style of the show never appealed to me but I have no desire to go crapping on anyone else's appreciation of it. I don't know why you take such offense at the show. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Live and let live and screw all the rest. Eureka isn't like SGU, it didn't destroy a concept and insult legions of loyal fans of that concept. As shows go it's relatively benign so I don't get the ire that it causes in you.

And actually it was a pretty good scifi concept: A town filled with geniuses who worked with and created speculative/futuristic technology is as scifi as you can get. In fact, it's pretty much the definition of scifi.

Now put down the half-empty bottle of pine tar liquor and concentrate your energies on that political manifesto you've been working on for the past few years. The world needs your vision...just not your blurred vision. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season 5 is yet to be filmed, so they can do a season long wrapup.

Just another in a long line of SyFy dumb choices. They have a well rated well received show that is not too dark and was actually family viewable. So of course they cancel it no doubt in favor of more reality slop.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well if Season 5 isn't filmed yet then I'm sure they will adjust the writing to fit a more proper ending for the series. I suspect it will end on a good note.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Meh, the "family friendly" and cartoonish style of the show never appealed to me but I have no desire to go crapping on anyone else's appreciation of it. I don't know why you take such offense at the show. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Live and let live and screw all the rest. Eureka isn't like SGU, it didn't destroy a concept and insult legions of loyal fans of that concept. As shows go it's relatively benign so I don't get the ire that it causes in you.

And actually it was a pretty good scifi concept: A town filled with geniuses who worked with and created speculative/futuristic technology is as scifi as you can get. In fact, it's pretty much the definition of scifi.

Now put down the half-empty bottle of pine tar liquor and concentrate your energies on that political manifesto you've been working on for the past few years. The world needs your vision...just not your blurred vision. ;)

? i bet i can find a couple hundred posts if not more where you did in regards to another show..
imo its still stupid and childish family friendly pseudo scifi and im glad to se it gone FINALLY.

nope i dont drink poison. and manifesto? dont have one of those just a "plan" for world domination and killing the majority of the worlds population in one go :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
? i bet i can find a couple hundred posts if not more where you did in regards to another show..
imo its still stupid and childish family friendly pseudo scifi and im glad to se it gone FINALLY.

nope i dont drink poison. and manifesto? dont have one of those just a "plan" for world domination and killing the majority of the worlds population in one go :)

Well like I alluded to in my previous post we're not talking about SGU here. I had good reason to crap all over SGU (as did millions of other people) but I don't have that same reason for Eureka. Since Eureka is a stand alone concept and it isn't perverting an established franchise I don't have a problem with it. I'm just ambivalent about it.

Granted, I'm sure I can get pissy about certain shows or movies that I consider stupid but that seems to be fairly rare these days. At least posting about them in threads dedicated to them I mean.

And I think the issue that most people are having is that with the demise of Eureka chances are that the current SyFy higher ups won't schedule a live-action fictional scifi show but rather will cheap out and put on some lame reality garbage. Would you want that in its stead?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I never saw a single episode of this show. :) Not that I didnt like it, its just that the premise didnt grab me at all. I just never could get into the convoluted thing with a town that is secret and a bunch of alleged geniuses and a Defense Department connection...meh. I can always watch later in a rewatch. :)

G

Graybrew1

Syfy no longer just sucks, it blows.
This is not the "space Scifi" we all yearned for, but it was entertaining.
Now they are taking our watered down scifi away too?

What crap will they put in it's place?
Alpha's is still pretty bad IMO. Haven has been a let down this year. Another one bites the dust. This network needs to get a clue. I really watch VERY little of that network anymore, and it used to be my favorite.:mad::(

Tropicana

Council Member
I caught some episodes of Eureka and I did enjoy the eps, like the one where people drowned in this expanding water thing, then there's the one where they lost their memories.

All in all, I enjoy the show. :)

Besides the Sheriff guy is pretty attractive.