Dominion (aka the war against the angels) Ratings and Predictions (Awards Given)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry, I am on the road. I forgot what I has posted as a guess.
--- merged: Jun 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM ---
Next episode:

Joelist 1.2 mil

Last edited by a moderator:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Dominion - Season 1 Episode 3 Predictions

Sciphonic Stranger 875 thousand

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There is no way to do this show without a Judeo-Christian foundation. I do not believe in angels. I could accept winged aliens/humans, but not if they are angels from the Bible.

Dominion - Season 1 Episode 2 Predictions

Overmind One: 1.6m

they haven't really cited religion per se (so far) it is more of a "well things are much diff then we were led to believe" type of attitude

have you never considered the (fantasy) possibility of any type of "other" existing just below the surface of our knowledge? that is, another race of beings that have not been seen by us until they chose to do so? nothing 'magical', just that they could live below the surface or elsewhere beyond our detection

sometimes I consider the terrestrial unknowns (or the possibility of their existence) as being far more interesting then anything from space

BUT- the show IS pretty bad--somehow though I have found it more watchable then defiance (though that isn't much of a comparison/standard)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Overmind, I am not disputing that they claimed Biblical background. What I am saying is that claim is false. The whole winged angel angle and indeed virtually all "angelology" comes from traditions. That is where we get things like the stained glass windows. All these "angels" have in common with the Biblical angels is a couple of names and the name of a role. If they want to call that "based" then it is VERY flimsily based. Then again, the Bible actually says very little about angels in the first place :)

In any event, the show is utter trash and I expect it gone after this season.

the bible's writing's are based on traditions/legends far older then any writing//"angels" exist in other religions as well, ones that are not based on Abrahamic tradition

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the bible's writing's are based on traditions/legends far older then any writing//"angels" exist in other religions as well, ones that are not based on Abrahamic tradition

Which religions? I am pretty well versed on the world's religions. The closest thing any religion has to "angels" in any religion I have ever studied is the Devas in Buddhism which are spiritual beings who "watch over" the affairs of Buddhists in a fashion. The Thai have borrowed these devas to some degree. Still, there is nothing close to the "angels" of Judeo-Christian lore. No wings, no heaven or hell, and they do not live in a higher realm. They never had a war. In Dominion, these are very specifically the Judeo-Christian angels, using their Biblical names and having them in their matching Biblical roles in the series. How they have portrayed them is the only area of contention as far as this show goes. The Wikipedia article that Backstep posted on the War in Heaven is what this show is based on. The opening scenes in the show specifically refer to this war, and the angels involved are those mentioned in Revelation. The show is set up to be the period of time after the events in Revelation, after Armageddon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they haven't really cited religion per se (so far) it is more of a "well things are much diff then we were led to believe" type of attitude

have you never considered the (fantasy) possibility of any type of "other" existing just below the surface of our knowledge? that is, another race of beings that have not been seen by us until they chose to do so? nothing 'magical', just that they could live below the surface or elsewhere beyond our detection

sometimes I consider the terrestrial unknowns (or the possibility of their existence) as being far more interesting then anything from space

BUT- the show IS pretty bad--somehow though I have found it more watchable then defiance (though that isn't much of a comparison/standard)

They have not cited religion? :) The entire first 3 minutes of this show very clearly puts this show squarely in the religion of Christianity. Here is the synopsis:

25 years ago, God disappeared. Some angels blamed humans, and led by Gabriel, they waged a war against the humans. Other, higher angels, led by Michael, decided to protect the humans. A child is born, with markings on his body, who will grow up to become the savior of the human race and lead mankind out of darkness.

Followers of the faith “continue to believe that the chosen one, our savior will reveal himself to us.

The Wikipedia article backs this up:

There really is no possible way this show is about anything generic or outside of the Biblical story of Revelation and the war of Armageddon. This show is about the aftermath of Armageddon, prior to the return of Christ, plain and simple. If "The Archangel Michael", and the leader of the angels Gabriel are being mentioned, we are only talking about Christianity, and specifically the story of Revelation. :)

As far as beings living below the surface of our knowledge, yes I could believe that since I believe that ALL living beings are sentient. This means that I believe it could be possible that microscopic beings (or macroscopic beings like planets) might actually be sentient on those levels. As far as "invisible" beings, probably not. I do not believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, demons or any of that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am going to revise my prediction, after reading some comments from viewers online, and this scathing article at The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/tv-review-dominion-712479

Dominion - Season 1 Episode 2 Predictions

Overmind One: 1.4m
Joelist: 1.3m
ShavedApe: 1.82
Jim of WVa: 1.98
SciphonicStranger: 1.59

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They have not cited religion? :) The entire first 3 minutes of this show very clearly puts this show squarely in the religion of Christianity. Here is the synopsis:

25 years ago, God disappeared. Some angels blamed humans, and led by Gabriel, they waged a war against the humans. Other, higher angels, led by Michael, decided to protect the humans. A child is born, with markings on his body, who will grow up to become the savior of the human race and lead mankind out of darkness.

Followers of the faith “continue to believe that the chosen one, our savior will reveal himself to us.

The Wikipedia article backs this up:

There really is no possible way this show is about anything generic or outside of the Biblical story of Revelation and the war of Armageddon. This show is about the aftermath of Armageddon, prior to the return of Christ, plain and simple. If "The Archangel Michael", and the leader of the angels Gabriel are being mentioned, we are only talking about Christianity, and specifically the story of Revelation. :)

As far as beings living below the surface of our knowledge, yes I could believe that since I believe that ALL living beings are sentient. This means that I believe it could be possible that microscopic beings (or macroscopic beings like planets) might actually be sentient on those levels. As far as "invisible" beings, probably not. I do not believe in ghosts, spirits, angels, demons or any of that.

Bolded = thats why it is a fantasy

and--Geez! your making sound like I like this show or something

Everything you wrote in the shows "synopsis" is just very generic and not specific to any religion. these angel names are used in several religions

Sihkism and Zorastrianism are a couple and the concept of "angels" as demigod or "para-gods" existed in the pagan greco roman world as well

Some North Asian pagan religions had similar concepts as well

Everyone of these had a hierarchy of angels where one can find a match for every "christian/judaic/muslim" angel named

All of this religion stuff is based on pre-civilization legends and tales of what someone thought they saw one night,etc,etc--the 'codifying' of these tales and legends into religious writings-of any religion-is just a way of man to "own" a legend and make it into part of a religion used to keep his fellow man compliant

here is a short article on the study of late period greco roman religions' use of angels (angelos in greek)- believed to divine messengers of the gods

http://tropaion.blogspot.com/2011/12/angels-in-greco-roman-religion-and.html

AND REMEMBER--I AM NO FAN OF THIS SHOW!! :crazy homer face: :happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bolded = thats why it is a fantasy

and--Geez! your making sound like I like this show or something

Everything you wrote in the shows "synopsis" is just very generic and not specific to any religion. these angel names are used in several religions

Sihkism and Zorastrianism are a couple and the concept of "angels" as demigod or "para-gods" existed in the pagan greco roman world as well

Some North Asian pagan religions had similar concepts as well

Everyone of these had a hierarchy of angels where one can find a match for every "christian/judaic/muslim" angel named

All of this religion stuff is based on pre-civilization legends and tales of what someone thought they saw one night,etc,etc--the 'codifying' of these tales and legends into religious writings-of any religion-is just a way of man to "own" a legend and make it into part of a religion used to keep his fellow man compliant

here is a short article on the study of late period greco roman religions' use of angels (angelos in greek)- believed to divine messengers of the gods

http://tropaion.blogspot.com/2011/12/angels-in-greco-roman-religion-and.html

AND REMEMBER--I AM NO FAN OF THIS SHOW!! :crazy homer face: :happy0007:

I would never insult you like that! :happy0007:

I really dont see it as being that deep for them. It is more like....

Suit #1 - "Damn what can we make that will grab the few viewers we have left?"

Suit #2 - "Well, who are they?"

Suit #1 - "Older people, late adopters who still dont have internet"

Suit #2 - "We have to push family values, religion, and conservatism"

Suit #1 - "Okay, lets do Biblical stories. Revelation is great for apocalyptic material, or perhaps portions of it? We can do angels and stuff. But we have to stay away from Jesus himself, too much controversy."

:)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Which religions? I am pretty well versed on the world's religions.

No, you are not.

The closest thing any religion has to "angels" in any religion I have ever studied is the Devas in Buddhism which are spiritual beings who "watch over" the affairs of Buddhists in a fashion. The Thai have borrowed these devas to some degree. Still, there is nothing close to the "angels" of Judeo-Christian lore. No wings, no heaven or hell, and they do not live in a higher realm. They never had a war. In Dominion, these are very specifically the Judeo-Christian angels, using their Biblical names and having them in their matching Biblical roles in the series. How they have portrayed them is the only area of contention as far as this show goes. The Wikipedia article that Backstep posted on the War in Heaven is what this show is based on. The opening scenes in the show specifically refer to this war, and the angels involved are those mentioned in Revelation. The show is set up to be the period of time after the events in Revelation, after Armageddon.

Both Islam and Judaism have angels.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, you are not.

Why would you say that without knowing? I am better versed on them then you are, evidently. :) I took Comparative Religion for my humanities course in Sophomore year. I do not have a degree, but I do have two years of college and the other education in tech schools later. I am not getting any of this from conjecture.

Both Islam and Judaism have angels.

Let me clarify what I mean by there being only angels in Christianity. No other religion except Christianity has an actual anthropomorphic figure. Jesus is that figure in Christianity, and all of the other religions FORBID depicting the likeness or even the name of God. Having said that, the "angels" in Judaism and Islam are not referred to as angels, but "messengers", and they have no forms, and definitely do not have wings. The only religion that has "angels" of the type depicted in Dominion and in art, with human forms (usually children) and wings (and sometimes halos and robes), is Christianity and no other religion.

You cannot find any depiction of Jewish angels, Islamic angels or even the Devas from Buddhism, because there are no such depictions to find. Such depictions of angels is forbidden in those religions. Just as there are no depictions of Abrahim or Allah.

Where exactly are you drawing your religious knowledge from? If it is just from the Bible, then your knowledge is incomplete.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Further clarification....Jews are permitted to create images of angels, but the "angels" in the Torah do not perform the same function or have the same form of "angels" in Christianity (wings, human forum, robes, trumpets, etc). In Islam, angels are described as "smokeless fire", made of light. Depicting them as humanoid with wings is forbidden in Islam. The Devas are also not depicted as humanoid with wings. Now, if you can present evidence to the contrary, I will gladly defer. :)

Without this topic devolving into a religious debate, is there a way to watch this show and get into the story WITHOUT understanding the religious (Christian) foundation it is built upon? That is my issue. Michael the archangel and Gabriel the good angel are only familiar if you know Revelation, The Book of Daniel, and perhaps a couple of references to a Mikhail in the Quran and in the Torah. And the winged humanoid forms of angels only belong to Christianity. Add that in with the Hunger Games style and the lame characters, and what is there to be entertained by? The CGI is not enough is it?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would never insult you like that! :happy0007:

I really dont see it as being that deep for them. It is more like....

Suit #1 - "Damn what can we make that will grab the few viewers we have left?"

Suit #2 - "Well, who are they?"

Suit #1 - "Older people, late adopters who still dont have internet"

Suit #2 - "We have to push family values, religion, and conservatism"

Suit #1 - "Okay, lets do Biblical stories. Revelation is great for apocalyptic material, or perhaps portions of it? We can do angels and stuff. But we have to stay away from Jesus himself, too much controversy."

:)

Yes, yes and yes

but

if you watched it you would soon see that there are no "christian values/family values or anything "conservative" in it--sex, skin, self mutilation and suicide instead on top of the normal sex and violence

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There is no need for this to turn into an RSP debate I would say. Whether you take it as fantasy or religion it still is awful and has awful ratings. Good riddance to crud when this gets flushed.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This show is so bad it's hardly worth analyzing. In fact it's so lackluster and boring that it's more interesting to opine on its impending demise rather than actually get invested in the moronic story itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show is so bad it's hardly worth analyzing. In fact it's so lackluster and boring that it's more interesting to opine on its impending demise rather than actually get invested in the moronic story itself.

Agreed. I think watching episode 1 (most of it) was all I needed for this show in terms of watching it. The show started out wrecked and undriveable. It can go nowhere except off the air. What a waste of money! Who the hell at Syfy greenlighted this thing, and why? Lots of shows get pitched at Syfy. Why was this one picked to air? Somebody with greenlight powers needs to be fired. Who could NOT see this was a turd? I cannot even imagine a religious person liking this.

One interesting theory might be that the "coolest" part of the Bible for those few young people who have read any part of it, is Revelation with it's literal pew pew and wars and epic events. In a way, Matrix Revolutions and the two movies before it were telling the story of Jesus. VERY LOOSELY, and in an -almost- completely secular way. From the rise of Neo, to the "rapture" of selected humans being freed from the Matrix, to the apocalyptic destruction of Zion and it's last minute salvation by the Savior, Neo. This show, however, is way more overt IMO.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What story? I could eat a pencil and a bunch of paper and spew out a better script from the porcelain throne...