Dominion (aka the war against the angels) Ratings and Predictions (Awards Given)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If SyFy wants to survive then they should be spending more on writing and casting and less on SFX. Really you can make a pretty inexpensive show that with the ratings Dominion or Defiance gets would be nice and profitable. Remember that SGA and WH13 and Eureka all clocked in at 2 million or less per episode and pulled better ratings. Dominion from what I can tell is more in the 3-4 million per episode range.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This proves my point. They are spending as much money as other shows but getting less bang for their buck. It's simple economics. It's impossible to sustain momentum with such a low return on investment. The fact that these shows have shorter seasons and fewer episodes only makes that reality so much worse because their initial budgets are as high as the shows you're comparing them to. This means they're wasting more money in a shorter amount of time.

Sure the writers and producers and even SyFy might love this crappy show but they can't keep up the charade forever. Economic reality prevents them from doing so.
After reading the budget breakdown(see below), I guess I stand corrected. The fact that Game of Thrones costs 60 million to make per season and Defiance costing 50M to make, proves that this show is gone. You are right; 1.6M is not enough for neither defiance or dominion.

Comparison to GOT ratings

Still, $105 million is the rough budget for the project, which includes a staggering $40 million for the TV series alone (for perspective, HBO, the gold standard for expensive TV, shelled out $60 million on Game of Thrones' first season). The balance pays for the $50 million it cost to make the video game, developed with software company Trion Worlds, which shares the financial burden (NBCU owns half of the game with Trion), and the show's huge marketing budget—upwards of $15 million.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertis...s-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622?page=1

Extant was a turd before it even hit the toilet bowl. We called it early on. There's no way it could ever be a success. I mean really, an astronaut on a solo mission that returns to Earth pregnant? You can see the boring melodrama all the way from space. :rolleyes:

The only reason Extant even came into existence is because someone in Hollywood was stupid enough to waste money on this dumb idea. Then getting a "big name" like Halle Berry only pushed the production further. Of course none of that matters because the reality is that Extant is a loser. It was a lame horse right out of the gate.
The fact that 90% other crap on tv is just as bad, shows that people will watch anything you throw into their face.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Dominion Season 1 Episode 7

Jim of WVa - 1.55 million
Overmind One - 1.3 million
I still don't see 1.5 being able to financially keep this show afloat. The only way they will get a second "season" is if they already have six episodes in the can, financed via the original deal. I'll say it again -- Huge cast, copious use of CGI, numerous scenes, sets and SFX = Too expensive to maintain at a 1.5m rating.

Nope, not gonna buy that there's clamoring for a second "season of this turd. The second "season" we will get will simply be the episodes that were budgeted for in the original production deal. That's how they do it these days. We all know this.
DOMINION SYFY 9:00 PM 1492 0.5

Guess Jim won