Dominion (aka the war against the angels) Ratings and Predictions (Awards Given)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agree completely. The series premiere was obviously expensive to produce and there's no way a 1.96 will make up for such an expenditure. The pathetic hyping of tweets, as if they matter, is yet more proof that this one is a failure out of the box. I wonder if it will even make a full season run, bad as it is.

The size of the cast, the FX/CGI, and the locations/sets are simply not sustainable for SyFy in terms of budget, especially with such a lame story behind it. We all know this. Shame SyFy hasn't learned the lesson yet.

The worst of Syfy's NuTurd premieres is still Caprica, with a paltry 1.6 million viewers for it's premiere. They did not even bother to wait until season 1 was over before cancelling it, then letting episodes air. But for this thing and all it's effects and "high production value", it cant really hang hopes for a future with such dismal premiere ratings. The second episode will plot the trajectory...up or down. Im betting down by a significant amount. So, without further adieu, GateFans presents the beautiful new Red Crystal Ball (purplish red? :)) for Dominion:

dominion.png

For me, this thing is gonna get rated without me watching much of it. :)

newprecious.png

Dominion - Season 1 Episode 2 Predictions

Overmind One: 1.6m

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dominion Season 1 Episode 1
Jim of WVa - 2.0 million viewers

This counts retroactively for Jim, since he was the only one who predicted ratings. :) I swear that man is psychic. I am Sooooooooo playing the numbers he gave me in the CA Lottery!

CONGRATULATIONS Jim, on being awarded the very first Dominion ball! If only we could find a way to launch the balls at those dumb "angels" in the show and knock them out of the air...:confused0006:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It is a COMPLETE disaster, ratings wise. But no decision is ever made on one stumble. :) Two episodes allows you to show a trend, three allows you to see a pattern, four verifies the pattern, and five allows forecasting. I give this until the "break" (if it has one). Of course, it could have gotten a two year deal, which means it will really sink (or not). Some people are liking this thing. :(

This thought just struck me...

Do you think that when ppl like Syfy make these crazy shows, that they have alternate ep's to show?

That is, now that they see the premiere bombed, might they have either an alternate ep 2 or an altered ep with more sex and violence (they are already promising full side and rear nudity) and less of the actual "plot" to try and snare more easily impressed viewers?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That's the thing - I tried to just take it like any fantasy but to me it totally fails even as general fantasy. The premise is so stupid and preposterous that it makes the show's world unbelievable out of the box. Add in paper thin characters and the near total focus on political intrigue and "adult" content and it came off as a cheap ripoff of "Game of Thrones".

If the show were actual better and some what defensible, I would be elaborating on why to think of their take on angels is not the 'traditional" judeo christian one (more of the fantasy (non biblical)/sci fi side) and that for anyone to approach this or any show/movie like it with a Judeo-Christian "lens" is going to be even FAR MORE let down

But, since this show is bad, with or without angels, I'll save my thesis for another show :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If the show were actual better and some what defensible, I would be elaborating on why to think of their take on angels is not the 'traditional" judeo christian one (more of the fantasy (non biblical)/sci fi side) and that for anyone to approach this or any show/movie like it with a Judeo-Christian "lens" is going to be even FAR MORE let down

But, since this show is bad, with or without angels, I'll save my thesis for another show :anim_59:

There is no way to do this show without a Judeo-Christian foundation. I do not believe in angels. I could accept winged aliens/humans, but not if they are angels from the Bible.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist: 1.3m

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Trust me OM, these "angels" have zero Biblical foundation. So you can dispense with that angle. They also don't work in a general fantasy sense with the utter stupidity of the premise. The closest thing is D&Ds "aasimon", but those are much better developed.

Even a total fantasy world still needs to have internal consistency and logic - it has to have rules that it obeys. Otherwise the result is an incoherent, unwatchable mess. Lord of the Rings and Narnia are two examples of fantasy worlds that work because they do possess these two qualities. Legion failed as a movie because it did not. Dominion likewise does not.

Really, if they wanted to do a series based on a complete fantasy movie they should have chosen "Priest". While it had its issues, it also had internal consistency, logic and followed its own world rules.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

ShavedApe: 1.82

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Jim of WVa: 1.98

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trust me OM, these "angels" have zero Biblical foundation. So you can dispense with that angle. They also don't work in a general fantasy sense with the utter stupidity of the premise. The closest thing is D&Ds "aasimon", but those are much better developed.

The opening scenes explicitly mention the Bible, the "angels" have the Biblical names and the roles that go with the names in angel canon, and the illustrations of these angels is on stained glass.Of course it isnt working but you cant say that these angels are not based in the Bible. The war between "heaven and earth" is a biblical story. Like I said, without the opening scene setting up the show, it becomes just winged beings wielding superhuman powers and for me it would have made it more palatable. Even if they only hinted that these were the angels in the Bible. But they explicitly identify them as being the angels in the Bible.

Even a total fantasy world still needs to have internal consistency and logic - it has to have rules that it obeys. Otherwise the result is an incoherent, unwatchable mess. Lord of the Rings and Narnia are two examples of fantasy worlds that work because they do possess these two qualities. Legion failed as a movie because it did not. Dominion likewise does not.

I agree. Those other movies do not pretend to be allegories of actual history or events. This one is a mess.

Really, if they wanted to do a series based on a complete fantasy movie they should have chosen "Priest". While it had its issues, it also had internal consistency, logic and followed its own world rules.

Agree. But overall, Syfy keeps doing fantasy and not enough science fiction. It felt like Hunger Games meets Legion meets World War Z.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Overmind, I am not disputing that they claimed Biblical background. What I am saying is that claim is false. The whole winged angel angle and indeed virtually all "angelology" comes from traditions. That is where we get things like the stained glass windows. All these "angels" have in common with the Biblical angels is a couple of names and the name of a role. If they want to call that "based" then it is VERY flimsily based. Then again, the Bible actually says very little about angels in the first place :)

In any event, the show is utter trash and I expect it gone after this season.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The opening scenes explicitly mention the Bible, the "angels" have the Biblical names and the roles that go with the names in angel canon, and the illustrations of these angels is on stained glass.Of course it isnt working but you cant say that these angels are not based in the Bible. The war between "heaven and earth" is a biblical story. Like I said, without the opening scene setting up the show, it becomes just winged beings wielding superhuman powers and for me it would have made it more palatable. Even if they only hinted that these were the angels in the Bible. But they explicitly identify them as being the angels in the Bible.

Angels in the bible are friends of God and some men. The mere fact that most angels in the show want to kill all mankind indicates that these angels are not the one mentioned in the bible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Angels in the bible are friends of God and some men. The mere fact that most angels in the show want to kill all mankind indicates that these angels are not the one mentioned in the bible.

I agree with both you and Joelist that these "angels" are not portrayed anything like in a biblical account or in biblical stories. But the show is supposed to be about those same angels. They have just gone off on a tangent with them. It reminds me of the silly Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. We know Abraham Lincoln was not a vampire slayer. But the Abraham Lincoln in that show was supposed to be Abraham Lincoln of history, just portrayed as a fantasy character. No religion except Christianity has "angels".

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

SciphonicStranger: 1.59

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

SciphonicStranger: 1.59

Actual was 1.42, who won?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who won? Those of us who want this turd to tank. ;)

Joelist won, didnt he? Somebody verify and I will award the ball to Joelist.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Last edited by a moderator: