Defecation/Dumbinion CANCELLED!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Good catch Tripler! :encouragement:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
That's 99.9 per litre so 4 bucks a gallon roughly . There will be around 10 or more trucks plus actors trailers and change rooms . Last summer I hung around and chatted with the crew . No shooting was going on though .

That's actually $3.21 USD per gallon. Not bad for Canada. In Quebec, it's about $3.59 USD ($1.11 CAD per liter).

Here in South Florida, gas is $2.69 per gallon, or $0.83 CAD per liter.

There is no reason for such price disparity, other than "they just can".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's actually $3.21 USD per gallon. Not bad for Canada. In Quebec, it's about $3.59 USD ($1.11 CAD per liter).

Here in South Florida, gas is $2.69 per gallon, or $0.83 CAD per liter.

There is no reason for such price disparity, other than "they just can".

Out here in California, I am now seeing sub-$3.00 Premium. All three grades start with $2.xx :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think this year I am not going to bother to look so hard for this series but I want this series gone for good. I'll lurk at the ratings, and watch syfy waste their money on this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think this year I am not going to bother to look so hard for this series but I want this series gone for good. I'll lurk at the ratings, and watch syfy waste their money on this.

I have been in that mode since before Shane got killed. I couldnt even wait to see Lori die. I just bugged out and have been only keeping up with this thread to get the overall direction of the show. Still sounding dismal from what I can see.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have been in that mode since before Shane got killed. I couldnt even wait to see Lori die. I just bugged out and have been only keeping up with this thread to get the overall direction of the show. Still sounding dismal from what I can see.
Believe it or not the negativity towards this show is what brought the renewal. I think we are to blame for it, but let's not give it the attention this show is after. There was great deal of resistance from the people who liked this piece of crap. Now that syfy forum is closed, there is one less shitty place to worry about. Let's just quietly step away and focus on shows that interest us.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Believe it or not the negativity towards this show is what brought the renewal. I think we are to blame for it, but let's not give it the attention this show is after. There was great deal of resistance from the people who liked this piece of crap. Now that syfy forum is closed, there is one less shitty place to worry about. Let's just quietly step away and focus on shows that interest us.
I think the numbers are what did it actually....

WE hate the show but it remains a ratings winner. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We'll see what happens.

Dominion is a piece of utter crud and cannot be saved.

Defiance to my utter shock improved last season, although the total lack of any background story exposition is still hurting it badly because without it a lot of character actions and motivations make no sense at all. Maybe if they start off the season with at least two hours devoted to the Pale Wars, explaining exactly how Earth got to where it is, who the current players are on this Earth, the story of the Defiant Ones and so forth it will improve further.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not gonna waste any time on these two turkeys. Why anyone would is beyond me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not gonna waste any time on these two turkeys. Why anyone would is beyond me.

Mostly true. Dominion is absolute dreck.

And while I said that to my utter shock Defiance improved I wouldn't call it "good". It still has a major problem with the utter lack of backstory to provide any context to what we are seeing. I think it improved because the show was more focused this last season and didn't waste a lot of plot time on creepy bath scenes or weird musical montages or the like. It got to the point better.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Mostly true. Dominion is absolute dreck.

And while I said that to my utter shock Defiance improved I wouldn't call it "good". It still has a major problem with the utter lack of backstory to provide any context to what we are seeing. I think it improved because the show was more focused this last season and didn't waste a lot of plot time on creepy bath scenes or weird musical montages or the like. It got to the point better.

This may be true but for me it's too little, too late. And to be honest I'm sick of producers that arrogantly, and cynically, give us stories that we don't want and then when it's obvious the concept is failing (because it's not what we want) they scramble to "fix" problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place. To me that's insulting.

Giving scifi fans what they want really isn't that hard. It's been done numerous times before. So if producers are too stupid to figure that out then screw them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This may be true but for me it's too little, too late. And to be honest I'm sick of producers that arrogantly, and cynically, give us stories that we don't want and then when it's obvious the concept is failing (because it's not what we want) they scramble to "fix" problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place. To me that's insulting.

Giving scifi fans what they want really isn't that hard. It's been done numerous times before. So if producers are too stupid to figure that out then screw them.

THIS. I am unwilling to give them a chance after they flubbed it so badly. Throwing a bone when it's too late does not work for me at all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree they flubbed it pretty hard. It is almost like they have a blind spot towards what their own audience actually wants. And we're not THAT hard to please. Basically if they give us:

a) Logical story flow

b) Keep relationships in context to the story not the other way around

c) Keep the pace decently fast but not so fast you sacrifice the story to it

d) Be sure to explain at least the fundamental elements of the "universe" the story takes place in. Give us CONTEXT to place the characters and story into.

Do these and we'll be happy.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I think that Tripler is referring to Toronto where all the SyFy series are being filmed/ lensed. The Great West Coast missed the snow a month back when they were faced with freezing weather for a week.

All of the shows are getting back to work. I wouldn't be surprised that "Defiance" is on the ACTRA/ Director work list - giving us a hint when they go back.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yup . Here on TO it is minus 25c again . My dog loves it :) :) :)
Defiance just confused me right off the bat . My reaction to the first episode was ,,,hey . Not too bad . But then it went downhill from there for me . My interest in this show now is that it is a stones throw away from my house . The other point is it gives someone work . We don't have to watch it and I don't but at least the entertainment people are working . My daughter just graduated from Centennial College trained in this business and hopefully will be employed soon . Who knows . She may end up on good productions and bad ones . They can't all be great like OST/SG1/SGA/NGST/Continuum/Shield. Those are definitely on the top of my list of well written and well received shows that entertained us then and now and into the future .

:) :) :)