Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - INCREDIBLE!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seemed like they were trying to hard. That's encouraging as I should have the chance to see this soon.

No, not trying too hard at all. These Apes movies are the pinnacle of the storytelling for the PotA genre. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No, not trying too hard at all. These Apes movies are the pinnacle of the storytelling for the PotA genre. :)

I meant the Honest Trailer was trying too hard. Once I get to see Dawn I can then do my project of comparing Caesar in this series to Caesar from the last series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I meant the Honest Trailer was trying too hard. Once I get to see Dawn I can then do my project of comparing Caesar in this series to Caesar from the last series.

I look forward to that. :) In both PotA sagas, we have Caesar as the nexus character, with Cornelius and Zira being the reverse nexus characters. This saga also has that potential, and wouldnt it be great if they do Cornelius and Zira? I wonder when they will pick up the thread with the astronauts which were lost in space? I imagine they will return (or be heard from) in the next movie or the one after that.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The trailer did have a point, though. Dawn comes before the rise. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LOL, true! I imagine the next movie will be about the war between humans and apes. At some point, what is left of human civilization must be destroyed by nuclear weapons (if we use the original saga as a guide). I recently TRIED to read the original Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle and I just did not like it. It was actually much closer to Tim Burton's dumb movie than the brilliant 6-movie series of the theatrical saga. All of those 6 movies were not good, but the first three were brilliant. I think that Battle for the Planet of the Apes was the least loved.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To me the PotA was good, Beneath not so much, Escape was "okay". Conquest and Battle were the best.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To me the PotA was good, Beneath not so much, Escape was "okay". Conquest and Battle were the best.

Really? I thought Conquest was probably the best written, and that Roddy MacDowell gave his best PotA performance in it as Caesar. But Battle seemed an afterthought to me. Unlike the other films, Battle did not add to the actual timeline of macro events, rather it dealt with inter-species relations and was very political in nature as opposed to the others. In my opinion, of course. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Battle? Battle was the one where the entire macro event timeline was changed. That was where Caesar found out about the future and changed the way the ape community operated as a result.

Conquest was indeed a strong film, and McDowell gave a very powerful performance in it.

To me these two films are a unit - I tend to think of them as two parts of a single story.

Bluce Ree

LOL, true! I imagine the next movie will be about the war between humans and apes. At some point, what is left of human civilization must be destroyed by nuclear weapons (if we use the original saga as a guide). I recently TRIED to read the original Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle and I just did not like it. It was actually much closer to Tim Burton's dumb movie than the brilliant 6-movie series of the theatrical saga. All of those 6 movies were not good, but the first three were brilliant. I think that Battle for the Planet of the Apes was the least loved.

I would have liked to see Tim Burton's adaptation of the original story taken to its conclusion. Sure, it wasn't the PofA we all grew up with but it was an interesting twist having the dude come back to Earth to see his own timeline aped, so to speak.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would have liked to see Tim Burton's adaptation of the original story taken to its conclusion. Sure, it wasn't the PofA we all grew up with but it was an interesting twist having the dude come back to Earth to see his own timeline aped, so to speak.

The Tim Burton probably captures what was going on in Boulle's novel more than any of the following 6, or the reboot of the original 6 movie saga. Boulle's novel was only loosely and very distantly related to SOME parts of the movie saga.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

some of us rise before dawn you know! :P

Actually i love the book - it's classic scifi that deals with current events (race relations) in an oblique way. It's not the action adventure of the movies (which I also enjoyed) but much more cerebral!

Bluce Ree

some of us rise before dawn you know! :P

Dawn always comes before the sunrise. One is the light of the sun seen in the sky before the sun actually hits the horizon and sunrise is when the sun comes up over the edge of the horizon. :D

Actually i love the book - it's classic scifi that deals with current events (race relations) in an oblique way. It's not the action adventure of the movies (which I also enjoyed) but much more cerebral!

I'm gonna get my hands on a copy of the original story. The movies were fun but I would have liked to explore where Tim Burton's adaptation would have gone.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
it's by Pierre boulle - look in used bookstores (paperback) because some high schools still use it. it's VERY different from the movies. :D no Taylor just an Ulysse.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it's by Pierre boulle - look in used bookstores (paperback) because some high schools still use it. it's VERY different from the movies. :D no Taylor just an Ulysse.

Yep, and it was a completely different star system, Betelgeuse. It is also in most city libraries, maybe even online. Make sure you are not getting the Movie Novelization. The original book title was "The Monkey Planet". It was written in 1963.