Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - INCREDIBLE!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will vicariously share in your excitement and then wait until I can watch it either via HBO or NETFLIX

But thx for 'Lewis and Clark-ing' it :daniel_new_anime021:

You still want the spoiler for the next movie setup? I discourage that...you should see it. I dont know if there is a good copy to download, but you can try.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I just have one question ...

Who the hell is Dawn and why is she so important on a planet full of apes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just have one question ...

Who the hell is Dawn and why is she so important on a planet full of apes?

She gets to become the first human to have sex with one of the apes. She leaves her husband for the ape and the movie ends with her being pregnant. But who is the father? The ape or her husband? Watch to see how it turns out!

[/kidding]

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
She gets to become the first human to have sex with one of the apes. She leaves her husband for the ape and the movie ends with her being pregnant. But who is the father? The ape or her husband? Watch to see how it turns out!

[/kidding]

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Don't leave me on a cliffhanger!! Awww, COME ON!!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

[/kidding]

If its the ape, then will the offspring be sterile!? :crazy homer face: :smiley-money-mouth:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
this is definitely on my must-watch list. I saw a behind the scenes bit that discussed the process of CGI using actors & funky suits with sensors. looks amazing!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this is definitely on my must-watch list. I saw a behind the scenes bit that discussed the process of CGI using actors & funky suits with sensors. looks amazing!

It is amazing. Mostly because you forget about the CGI. All you see and process is "apes". The special effects are just so well integrated that you don't think about them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I want to see them train actual apes to act--now THAT would be awesome (or have apes wear the green screen gear and be CGI humans :icon_lol:)

and then they could unionize

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want to see them train actual apes to act--now THAT would be awesome (or have apes wear the green screen gear and be CGI humans :icon_lol:)

and then they could unionize

They were so awesome...real apes could never do the stuff in these movies. :) Apes as CGI humans, now THAT is something I would like to see! Perhaps they could do that for the Apes movie that happens after humans have become feral?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They were so awesome...real apes could never do the stuff in these movies. :) Apes as CGI humans, now THAT is something I would like to see! Perhaps they could do that for the Apes movie that happens after humans have become feral?

After I typed that I thought just how interesting it would look to have "cgi humans" acted by real apes. Lots of applications--zombies, schizo's, movies about pre-neanderthal man, and any thing else that requires that ape like stance--I mean who else could do it better?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
After I typed that I thought just how interesting it would look to have "cgi humans" acted by real apes. Lots of applications--zombies, schizo's, movies about pre-neanderthal man, and any thing else that requires that ape like stance--I mean who else could do it better?

It can be done easily. :) If they can get the ape to be still long enough to stick the reference dots on him, it could be done. Horses were used for this in John Carter

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It can be done easily. :) If they can get the ape to be still long enough to stick the reference dots on him, it could be done. Horses were used for this in John Carter

So I guess in SW they could use Elephants or some other large animal for banthas?

And, speaking of banthas--how did they create them in the 70's? Was it a costumed elephant? I can't remember (and feel like conversing about it rather then just looking it up :icon_razz:) how they did it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I guess in SW they could use Elephants or some other large animal for banthas?

And, speaking of banthas--how did they create them in the 70's? Was it a costumed elephant? I can't remember (and feel like conversing about it rather then just looking it up :icon_razz:) how they did it

Yes. It was a costumed elephant. Motion capture uses reference dots attached to the moving character, which are then mapped to corresponding points on the CGI model.

http://io9.com/5654412/photos-of-an-elephant-dressing-up-as-the-bantha-from-star-wars/

Reference dots on Andy Serkis' face for PotA. The intense facial motion capture uses a lot more dots.

http://www.humandynamo.co.nz/webapps/i/74485/261889/556336

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And remember Andy Serkis used the same technology to play Godzilla. And Bradley Cooper used a more advanced version to portray Rocket Raccoon (Guardians coming later than Dawn and Godzilla was able to exploit advances made in just that short time).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And remember Andy Serkis used the same technology to play Godzilla. And Bradley Cooper used a more advanced version to portray Rocket Raccoon (Guardians coming later than Dawn and Godzilla was able to exploit advances made in just that short time).

So I am assuming then, that one does not need to use a similarly sized creature to portray any other creature/person in CGI?

That is-to portray a bantha-a dog or person could be used and through the cgi process, made to look the desired size? If so, I am still guessing that a four legged real creature makes for the best capture to portray a cgi 4 legged creature (unless that 4 legged creature is portrayed as walking on hind legs-like the raccoon?)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It seems not. I'm guessing the latest version of motion capture lets them scale up/down properly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I am assuming then, that one does not need to use a similarly sized creature to portray any other creature/person in CGI?

That is-to portray a bantha-a dog or person could be used and through the cgi process, made to look the desired size? If so, I am still guessing that a four legged real creature makes for the best capture to portray a cgi 4 legged creature (unless that 4 legged creature is portrayed as walking on hind legs-like the raccoon?)

The size is not a factor. The points on the original moving subject can be any size, since the motion is captured by the reference dots. You can map the dots onto the CGI character no matter what size it is. You can even map them to inanimate object CGI models like chairs and trees. You can even mix up the dots and map them in reverse or upside down.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dawn of the PotA got it's China release date - August 29th. That has to be good news to the producers and should up the total take from its current 539 million. At this stage the Asia release will be most of the remaining dollars.