Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - INCREDIBLE!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dawn of the PotA got it's China release date - August 29th. That has to be good news to the producers and should up the total take from its current 539 million. At this stage the Asia release will be most of the remaining dollars.

Have you seen this yet?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Haven't had the needed time - the only reason I saw Guardians of the Galaxy was we were all in one place and the theater was right there - it had GotG but not Dawn.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dawn of the PotA got it's China release date - August 29th. That has to be good news to the producers and should up the total take from its current 539 million. At this stage the Asia release will be most of the remaining dollars.

Any word if the chinese govt wanted this movie to alter its content before release there?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Any word if the chinese govt wanted this movie to alter its content before release there?

Is there anything they would object to? I thought about that, and noticed that Godzilla basically ignored his favorite stomping grounds (Tokyo). They showed the Chinese in a neutral light, mostly. I think this movie will make a ton there, even though it isnt the best kaigu movie ever made (that distinction goes to Pacific Rim :)). I think this movie will get to about 700 million or so. It isnt the type of movie you want to see over and over, like Pacific Rim or Avengers.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Godzilla did just fine in China. It will be interesting to see how Dawn does.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is there anything they would object to? I thought about that, and noticed that Godzilla basically ignored his favorite stomping grounds (Tokyo). They showed the Chinese in a neutral light, mostly. I think this movie will make a ton there, even though it isnt the best kaigu movie ever made (that distinction goes to Pacific Rim :)). I think this movie will get to about 700 million or so. It isnt the type of movie you want to see over and over, like Pacific Rim or Avengers.

It just --seems--that ever since they got their way with altering RED DAWN (the outstanding blockbuster THAT was!) and IRON MAN 3 and some others, they try and push the envelope to see what exactly they can make the studios do to get screen time in China.

Just a wandering thought, haven't heard or read anything on it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It just --seems--that ever since they got their way with altering RED DAWN (the outstanding blockbuster THAT was!) and IRON MAN 3 and some others, they try and push the envelope to see what exactly they can make the studios do to get screen time in China.

Just a wandering thought, haven't heard or read anything on it

You are aware that most of the money going into making some of these films is Chinese financing...right?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Any monster and especially horror movies do very well in the Asian market.

Yeah, I don't think any of them in general (minus a few individuals) get all the social/cultural American subtexts in these movies, especially PoTA, Particularly the originals. I have heard Koreans say (when Armed Forces TV Korea ran the original movies one weekend in 1989) stuff like "What, it wouldn't be possible for apes to do any of those things..." I didn't even bother to try and explain

They are just into these "crazy American movies" because they have action and violence and ideas/plots that asian TPTB's don't "go there" with

B

Backstep

Yeah, I don't think any of them in general (minus a few individuals) get all the social/cultural American subtexts in these movies, especially PoTA, Particularly the originals. I have heard Koreans say (when Armed Forces TV Korea ran the original movies one weekend in 1989) stuff like "What, it wouldn't be possible for apes to do any of those things..." I didn't even bother to try and explain

They are just into these "crazy American movies" because they have action and violence and ideas/plots that asian TPTB's don't "go there" with

My guess would be, most asians do not consider "apes" or monkeys as monsters, just pests.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My guess would be, most asians do not consider "apes" or monkeys as monsters, just pests.

It is not just apes, they don't get all of our sci-fi or fantasy. For example, they get that SW's has adventure but they miss the underlying themes

They see that any iteration of ST has space exploration and "pew-pew" but the issues of humanity and society go over their heads

Also, and of course, in any movie or show, double entendre and the like, just does not translate well

'Which witch is wich" goes by their noggins at about an alt of 5 miles...

B

Backstep

It is not just apes, they don't get all of our sci-fi or fantasy. For example, they get that SW's has adventure but they miss the underlying themes

They see that any iteration of ST has space exploration and "pew-pew" but the issues of humanity and society go over their heads

Also, and of course, in any movie or show, double entendre and the like, just does not translate well

'Which witch is wich" goes by their noggins at about an alt of 5 miles...

They do make some awesome monster and horror movies, if you can get past the part where the girl screams for 5 minutes, then suddenly finds the can of whoop ass. They do keep the soapish out the the movie, keeping the drama to the central point of the plot.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Of course!!

It goes into everything American these days!

Yes, because those in the know, know that the Chinese economy is a house of cards that could fall at any moment. Everyone knows how bad the American economy is, so all of the pitfalls in investing in America are visible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, because those in the know, know that the Chinese economy is a house of cards that could fall at any moment. Everyone knows how bad the American economy is, so all of the pitfalls in investing in America are visible.

China's "wealth" is a huge stash of American/Western fiat money. If the dollar folds, that wealth vaporizes with it. I like the way you said "those in the know". People in the know are so few and far between these days. :(

B

Backstep

China's "wealth" is a huge stash of American/Western fiat money. If the dollar folds, that wealth vaporizes with it. I like the way you said "those in the know". People in the know are so few and far between these days. :(

OPEC oil traded in Euros will collapse both.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OPEC oil traded in Euros will collapse both.

Exactly correct. :) But the Yen could become the new base currency globally, while still floating the dollar AND the Euro.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
An NPR finance report on thursday (actually it was from the BBC on NPR) said that the Chinese govt is trying very hard to keep their real estate (all of those empty ghost cities that Bluce showed us) and property bubble from crashing

The report stated fears from govt bureaucrats (who are dumping their govt employee subsidized land and real estate) are in a 'fever' over this growing crisis there

Interesting how our "mainstream media" isn't picking that up--to "busy" making names for themselves-and making news out of themselves-in Ferguson. Where the death of the kid has taken a backseat to spotlight grandstanding and "hey, look at me" news reporting

But anyhow, will be interesting to see how the PRC handles this--will the govt 'nationalize' properties to keep the value of them up?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seemed like they were trying to hard. That's encouraging as I should have the chance to see this soon.