Daily trivia quiz

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before (a looong long time ago) but when I run a search on either "trivia" or "quiz" I'm not finding it.

Four people (Toptier, Jim, Azalia and myself) have been playing a daily trivia quiz for a long time now, I'm talking years. Every day is a new quiz with 10 questions. Some questions somehow get repeated with some frequency, but mostly they are new questions. Some are hard and some are easy. The topics vary. Anyway, we could use some fresh blood. Toptier wins almost every month and if he doesn't Jim does. Since all four current players all originated here anyway, it sort of feels like a "local" quiz. Would be nice to have some new faces there. Here's the link, if you're interested.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=102275

Hope to see you there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Our Jim? I just set up my account there. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Awesome guys! You'll have a few days to get used to it. At the beginning of each month a new competition starts.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So did I - got 9 out of 10 today.
You got 9 out of 10 @Joelist. That was pretty good. But unfortunately you took 453 seconds to do the quiz, which is why you still ended up in third position.

You're not googling the answers are you? :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope, had to take a call during the quiz alas.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did poorly - pop music is not my strong suit

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i see no one has outdone me, and my useless knowledge regarding pop music, today

:)

@Lord Ba'al there any history daily's in your trivia mix?
I don't think there's a specific history category setup. There's a movies, a music and a world trivia for sure. There tend to be plenty of questions regarding American presidents and such, so that's sort of historical, but I think those fall in World Trivia, lol. I don't know shit about them so I'm out of luck.

I can look into changing up categories. We've been playing the same ones ever since the start. Check the Hall of Fame link at the top of the page.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
In order that we might be able to discuss changing up the categories for the trivia quiz, I've compiled a list of all the options we have at our disposal. Perhaps everyone could give some of their preferences. Please keep in mind that categories which have very little questions will start getting repetitive very soon. I generally prefer to avoid those categories. Then again, it might be fun to try one sometime.

These are the options as I have them set currently.

Sunday - General Knowledge 6 - Very Difficult
Monday - FunTrivia Mixed Bag (default)
Tuesday - World Trivia 2 - More Difficult
Wednesday - General Knowledge 3 - Average
Thursday - Geography 2 - Intermediate
Friday - Movies 2 - Intermediate
Saturday - Music 2 - Intermediate

I've just checked the Hall of Fame and I found that we've been playing this quiz since March of 2014. The categories have been the same since the start, so that's why it might be fun for the regulars to change things up. Now that some new people have just started, this seems to be the perfect time to discuss it. Also from the Hall of Fame, I found that @SciphonicStranger has so far won 26 months, @Jim of WVa has so far also won 26 months, @Quetesh has so far won 3 months and I myself, the almight @Lord Ba'al have so far won 4 months, the last one in May of 2017. Obviously, this game is rigged. I call shenanigans!

Anyway, the following are the categories we can pick from, along with the number of questions for each category. Please feel free to discuss.

FunTrivia Mixed Bag (default) - 100000
Animals - 449
Celebrities - Easier - 601
Celebrities - More Difficult - 5176
General Knowledge 1 - Very Easy - 1157
General Knowledge 2 - Easy - 1787
General Knowledge 3 - Average - 2466
General Knowledge 4 - Harder - 3493
General Knowledge 5 - Difficult - 5725
General Knowledge 6 - Very Difficult - 5487
Geography 1 - Easier - 500
Geography 2 - Intermediate - 1880
Geography 3 - Difficult - 3140
History 1 - Easier - 249
History 2 - Intermediate - 1880
History 3 - Difficult - 3140
Hobbies - 1162
Literature 1 - Easier - 232
Literature 2 - More Difficult - 1836
Movies 1 - Easier - 1656
Movies 2 - Intermediate - 5252
Movies 3 - Difficult - 9835
Music 1 - Easier - 629
Music 2 - Intermediate - 3429
Music 3 - Difficult - 12352
People 1 - Easier - 352
People 2 - More Difficult - 2932
Religion 1 - Easier - 426
Religion 2 - More Difficult - 2172
Religion - Bible Trivia 317
Science & Technology 1 - Easier - 541
Science & Technology 2 - Intermediate - 1037
Science & Technology 3 - Difficult - 3201
Sports - Baseball - Difficult - 6473
Sports - Baseball - Easy - 416
Sports - General - Easier - 2981
Sports - General - Intermediate - 7593
World - Australia - 1194
World - UK - 1132
World Trivia 1 - Easier - 1165
World Trivia 2 - More Difficult - 8156
World - Canada - 728
World - Europe - 1565

Now, @SciphonicStranger, I know you're eyeballing those Baseball categories, but I don't think they'd be very suitable for anyone else but you.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
For everyone's information, the tab Standings shows the state of affairs for the current month as well as yesterday's scores. Each person gets a number of points for playing, depending on their finishing position on that day. The amount of points each gets depends on the amount of people who've played on that day. For example, when we played with 4 people, the first two would get 4 points and third and fourth place would get 3 points. When 5 people play, I believe the first two get 4 points and third, fourth and fifth get 3 points. Yesterday 6 people played and the first place received 6 points, second, third and fourth place received 5 points and fifth and sixth place received 4 points. This means that even if you never finish first during the month, you could theoretically still win, depending on how everyone else fared. We have in fact on a rare occasion seen that someone who had 13 wins finished last overall while at the same time someone with 4 wins won the entire month. Please also note, that it's a "daily" trivia quiz, meaning there is a quiz each and every day, and if you miss a day or two, you probably won't stand a chance of winning the month.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The new tournament has started today! Get your game on now, or miss the boat. :)

I'm looking at you @Overmind One.