Continuum

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You've been spoiled brother! :)

I watch stuff on Crackle with my Roku every now and then and every so many minutes or so they have a commercial for...Crackle... WTF? :P

Done with episode 2. EPIC! I absolutely love this show. You get a big fat bro hug from me for this. :) This episode with them sleuthing out Kiera's identity was great. I am still not sure that the pairing with Carlos is a good thing, it sorta reminds me of Warehouse 13's couple, but with less chemistry. I like tha part played by the actress who used to play Park on SGU...cant think of her name. She does come off well as the jealouse love interest for Carlos (very low key love interest). I love how any hint at 'shipping is second behind the action and the story. I love the tension between Kiera wanting to go back home and her dealing with the possibility of being stuck.

I love the Alec character too, but I am not understanding the tech quite clearly. I understand that Alec is the future head of SADTECH, but how is he able to interface with Kiera's suit equipment and implants? How is he amle to see video of her and download the information (as well as process it) into his home geek station? Why won't the two of them ever meet? Does Kiera know who he is in 2012? Does she know that he is going to be the head of SADTECH in the future?

Any show that makes you think like this one does is excellent. :) I love Lexa Doig in it as a bad girl. I love the much lower key costuming and effects, which add to the substance of the show without being gimmicky. This is a totally cool show. I hope more people here get into it. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow. Canada is starting to race ahead of the US in terms of availability of entertaining content. First Netflix, which shows everything that they lost in the US, and now original productions like this show. For years it was Canadians trying to figure clever ways to access US content like Hulu and Netflix. How, it's happening the other way around.

Why does this seem like the beginning of the fall of the great corrupt American empire? Time to clean house, maybe, before the Chinese take over? :icon_lol:

Have you seen this show yet? You owe yourself, bro! Watch it online free using your VPN here: http://www.showcase.ca/video/default.aspx#continuum/video and click Season 1 on the left sidebar. :) At this point, I am completely "meh" about American movies and TV. Im American, but I am done with all the overdone special effects, over-the-top explosions and CGI orgyfests, and the formulaic tactics they are using to sell this garbage to the "consumers". A turd in 3D is more frightening than in 2D to be sure. :eusa_snooty:

But you need to see this show. :)

B

Backstep

Done with episode 2. EPIC! I absolutely love this show. You get a big fat bro hug from me for this. :) This episode with them sleuthing out Kiera's identity was great. I am still not sure that the pairing with Carlos is a good thing, it sorta reminds me of Warehouse 13's couple, but with less chemistry. I like tha part played by the actress who used to play Park on SGU...cant think of her name. She does come off well as the jealouse love interest for Carlos (very low key love interest). I love how any hint at 'shipping is second behind the action and the story. I love the tension between Kiera wanting to go back home and her dealing with the possibility of being stuck.

I love the Alec character too, but I am not understanding the tech quite clearly. I understand that Alec is the future head of SADTECH, but how is he able to interface with Kiera's suit equipment and implants? How is he amle to see video of her and download the information (as well as process it) into his home geek station? Why won't the two of them ever meet? Does Kiera know who he is in 2012? Does she know that he is going to be the head of SADTECH in the future?

Any show that makes you think like this one does is excellent. :) I love Lexa Doig in it as a bad girl. I love the much lower key costuming and effects, which add to the substance of the show without being gimmicky. This is a totally cool show. I hope more people here get into it. :)

All that was answered in episode 1. Alec invented the special frequency the protectors use, Kiera has an implant in her brain that lets what she sees to be recorded and downloaded
Lucky for Kiera, through the use of her CMR (cellular memory recall), a futuristic liquid chip technology implanted in her brain, she connects with Alec Sadler, a seventeen-year-old tech genius. When Kiera calls and Alec answers, a very unique partnership begins.
http://continuumtheseries.com/about

B

Backstep

Have you seen this show yet? You owe yourself, bro! Watch it online free using your VPN here: http://www.showcase.ca/video/default.aspx#continuum/video and click Season 1 on the left sidebar. :) At this point, I am completely "meh" about American movies and TV. Im American, but I am done with all the overdone special effects, over-the-top explosions and CGI orgyfests, and the formulaic tactics they are using to sell this garbage to the "consumers". A turd in 3D is more frightening than in 2D to be sure. :eusa_snooty:

But you need to see this show. :)

I agree, American shows have gone down the path of being to soapy and over the top campy (only thing that is missing is the thought bubbles).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All that was answered in episode 1. Alec invented the special frequency the protectors use, Kiera has an implant in her brain that lets what she sees to be recorded and downloaded
http://continuumtheseries.com/about

I understand that part. But he did not invent the implants and interfaces Kiera has, and he did not invent the devices embedded in her suit. How does he have software that can parse the data? Even on a modern day PC, if you do not have a Flash plugin, you cant watch Flash content. How would a proprietary system like that used by the Protectors be generic enough for Alec to access AND process the data? How does he get video feeds which show her in them instead of a first person perspective? Its not a dealbreaker, but they are so good at explaining other stuff in this science fiction show (whaddaya know, scifi with REAL science in it! Almost forgot about that...). Even today, the data streams, video and audio feeds of police departments is encrypted and on restricted frequencies. Even the best hacker cant break 128-bit encryption, let alone what might be available 60 years from now. Just sayin. :confused0076:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree, American shows have gone down the path of being to soapy and over the top campy (only thing that is missing is the thought bubbles).

Shhhh! You will give them ideas! I can just see it now, jagged edged balloons flashing with the words POW! and SMACK! during fighting scenes. :culpability: :tennis:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Shhhh! You will give them ideas! I can just see it now, jagged edged balloons flashing with the words POW! and SMACK! during fighting scenes. :culpability: :tennis:

Great Gotham, Overmind! I can see it, too!

B

Backstep

I understand that part. But he did not invent the implants and interfaces Kiera has, and he did not invent the devices embedded in her suit. How does he have software that can parse the data? Even on a modern day PC, if you do not have a Flash plugin, you cant watch Flash content. How would a proprietary system like that used by the Protectors be generic enough for Alec to access AND process the data? How does he get video feeds which show her in them instead of a first person perspective? Its not a dealbreaker, but they are so good at explaining other stuff in this science fiction show (whaddaya know, scifi with REAL science in it! Almost forgot about that...). Even today, the data streams, video and audio feeds of police departments is encrypted and on restricted frequencies. Even the best hacker cant break 128-bit encryption, let alone what might be available 60 years from now. Just sayin. :confused0076:

From my take on Alec tech comes from 2077 Alec. When liber8 makes the jump back in time we see Alec smiling, IMO Alec never changed the algorithms only built on them so so 2012 Alec and Kiera can communicate. When Kiera said I need backup at this Location when casing the Liber8 after the jump, Alec saw her location on his screen and asked 'how is this working now?' which started him working on what other functions he built into his program started working.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From my take on Alec tech comes from 2077 Alec. When liber8 makes the jump back in time we see Alec smiling, IMO Alec never changed the algorithms only built on them so so 2012 Alec and Kiera can communicate. When Kiera said I need backup at this Location when casing the Liber8 after the jump, Alec saw her location on his screen and asked 'how is this working now?' which started him working on what other functions he built into his program started working.

Ah, yes. Besides that, Alec of the future already knows about Kiera of the past. :) These paradoxes are what make this show so awesome! It makes me think, and it is not magical mumbospeak like they used in shows like SGU and even Terra Nova. This show has legs. Thing is, the flashbacks to the future that Kiera is having are going to wear thin very quickly. Unless they continuously show events in the future happening after the departure of Kiera, the scenes with her son and husband are going to get in the way eventually. Right now, I understand because she was recently trapped in the past. LOVING THIS SHOW!

:smiley-money-mouth:

B

Backstep

Ah, yes. Besides that, Alec of the future already knows about Kiera of the past. :) These paradoxes are what make this show so awesome! It makes me think, and it is not magical mumbospeak like they used in shows like SGU and even Terra Nova. This show has legs. Thing is, the flashbacks to the future that Kiera is having are going to wear thin very quickly. Unless they continuously show events in the future happening after the departure of Kiera, the scenes with her son and husband are going to get in the way eventually. Right now, I understand because she was recently trapped in the past. LOVING THIS SHOW!

:smiley-money-mouth:

kiera's family is her motivation, if they keep the cutisty kid to under a minute of air time, i can handle that. How close does/will old Alec endear himself to kiera and her family? I too hope they keep the flashbacks to old Alec's plan/agenda to keep the story moving not buried under a ton of soap.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

I'm not much of a fan of the whole Carlos thing either TBH, but I hope that it'll stay strictly professional or at least a platonic relationship, because I really don't want to see any shipping since I like the fact that in addition to capturing the Liber8 members, Kiera is also motivated by the strong desire to get back to her family in the future.

Oh and IIRC, it was established in the pilot that Kiera knows that Alec is going to be the head of SADTECH, judging by the reaction she had to hearing his name.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show is AWESOME! Episode 3 was great.

Continuum is the best scifi series I have seen in a very long time! I cannot believe that no channels in the US have picked it up yet.:confused0076:. The casting is flawless, and Lexa Doig as a bad girl in this show just is icing on the cake. In this episode, we got some character interaction with the Bad Guys team. The whole thing with the extracting of hormones was so believable and done very well! Im even starting to warm up to Carlos, because his character is thoughtful and also appropriately professional. I like the one-way flirting he is doing, and I also like the fact that Kiera is not interested (maybe a little bit?). This show has re-awakened my desire to wait in anticipation of the next episode, like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis used to do. Much stronger than say, Sanctuary. This is the real deal. Just enough effects and tech, just enough REAL SCIENCE (big one with me), and just enough action. Lots of good fight stuff in this episode. :) Kiera kicks butt! Also, Im liking how the flashbacks have taken on a different character, serving as a source of memories to remind her of what these people WILL be.

What a great show. The $8.00/mo I am paying for the VPN would be worth it just to be able to see this one show. :icon_e_biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It is VERY well balanced.

uhh the trailer of this show is very shit to be blunt...Though the show might be good who knows.

You owe yourself this one, heisenberg! This show is well written, makes lots of sense and has very very little useless soap and shipping. It has LOTS of action, lots of intrigue, and these characters are GREAT. You even can like the bad guys. This show is extremely well casted, and everyone in the show is attractive and the locales and scenes are plausible and not Planet Vancouver. Its scifi with the space and aliens removed. Really a good show to watch. Im a hard guy to please when it comes to shows, and you have heard the grumpy old man in me whining about shows like The Walking Dead and Terra Nova and Falling Skies.

You cant watch it if you are in the United States unless you get yourself a VPN.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh I'll definitely give it a try(it has that Deus Ex Human Revolution feel to it and that game is just crafted very well)Scratch that, it's not what one of the writers was working on but that show is echoes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 4: AWESOME again! This show needs to come to America.

Wow, I just watched Continuum Episode 5: Matter of Time. :) This show is totally AWESOME. I find myself waiting every week for the next episode, and this week was worth the wait. Kiera finally meets Alec face to face, and we see our first paradox event unfolding. I initially felt that Carlos (Kiera's police partner in the present) was a bad casting choice. But I have changed my mind. There is NO WAY they will be able to create a 'ship between Kiera and Carlos because there is just no chemistry between them. They have a relationship much like Warehouse 13. Both are attractive, but they will always be friends (I hope). I love the way they are developing the characters.

Notable characters in this show: Lexa Doig (Michael Shanks' wife), Tony Amendola (Bra-tac from SG-1).

This show is well written, intelligent and everybody in the show does a great job. Right now, it is not available in the United States unless you have a VPN. But if it does come to America, I am certain it will do VERY well in the scifi genre.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 5 AWESOME...this is definitely a trend.

This episode was AWESOME as all of them have been in this show so far. We get to see the effects of possible time paradoxes through the targeting of relatives in the past. Lots of new questions coming up, but in a scientific manner. This show just gets better and better as the characters get more and more defined. By this time, Kiera feels like somebody you have known for a long time. The show lets you see deeply into her, yet the story remains anchored in the events of the premise of this show. EXCELLENT writing.

How long will it be before a smart US cable channel (or Netflix) picks it up? This is a-list stuff. :)

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
For all non "The Killing" fans. Show number 5 showcased "Rosie Larsen's" acting. She actually did a pretty good job. Some of the production crew got a little "cheeky" when they placed a butterfly tattoo on her wrist and gave her a butterfly trinket around her neck to wear.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For all non "The Killing" fans. Show number 5 showcased "Rosie Larsen's" acting. She actually did a pretty good job. Some of the production crew got a little "cheeky" when they placed a butterfly tattoo on her wrist and gave hera butterfly trinket around her neck to wear.

Rosie was good in this episode. :) She played a very convincing character, and she added some "cool" to the show (as if it needed more!). Im still wondering why Kellog did not fade away :icon_cool: