Continuum - This one is a Keeper! Season Two already approved

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Correct. Otherwise they'd have a dimensional jump device instead of a time travel one.

Check out Sliders. That was an awesome show about alternate universes until TPTB (againat the show creator's will) screwed it up in the 3rd season and turned it into a turd.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I get my "dimensional jump" knowledge from Crichton's Timeline book (not the horrible movie). He makes it fairly easy to understand.

As for Continuum though, okay, so they are operating on the direct timeline theory. That would constrain the writers in many ways in terms of how they do things.

Okay, I'm worried about going off on a time travel tangent here and that makes my head hurt.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Some very interesting theories people, in some of the above posts.

For those who are interested in what Simon Barry has to say:

He appears to be giving some very honest interpretation of his works.

From what I remember of last season's show it appears that both Kiera and Travis have CMRs that are re-programmable. Obviously all the people being sent back have their own private agendas.

By the looks of it 'Older Alec' has very few people he can depend on. His son appears to be one as well as the older Kellogg looking woman who shot Ramona Kavitch? when she was getting to close.

I read somewhere that they were going back into production two months earlier, say November 15, then their usual January start.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm really liking this season. We're finally getting more sci-fi written into the show.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
On a side note, I'm gonna miss the new and creative ways the writers would come up with to knock Carlos out cold.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"Me-likey" lots of sci-fi, unfortunately a lot of people don't, thus the ratings are down.

Why don't they scale ratings?

That is, do a national sample of how many ppl actually like sci fi to begin with than base ratings success or failure of of that?

As is, it allows a core channel like syfy or history or chiller to run a non genre show and get a ratings boost, skewing their ratings since those extra ppl who tuned in tune out when the core programming comes back

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why don't they scale ratings?

That is, do a national sample of how many ppl actually like sci fi to begin with than base ratings success or failure of of that?

As is, it allows a core channel like syfy or history or chiller to run a non genre show and get a ratings boost, skewing their ratings since those extra ppl who tuned in tune out when the core programming comes back

They are still paying Nielsen for ratings when they need to be gathering their own ratings or they need a better way to gauge what THEIR watchers like. Nielsen is getting their ratings from TV and Cable and the demographic they have chosen for these boxes is still a very bad sampling of people. They have the age groups down, but not the cultural/social groups. The people watching science fiction are not the same people watching Keeping up with the Kardashians or Dancing with the Stars (for the most part).

http://jezebel.com/nielsen-might-be-the-reason-terrible-shows-stay-on-the-1446374675

Capture.PNG

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...r-tv-ratings-missing-minorities-young-people/

Television executives are increasingly concerned that paper diary measurement, a method from the 1950s to track TV viewing, excludes significant segments of the U.S. population, thus producing inaccurate ratings.

Diaries were never problem-free. Participants are asked to write in once a day what they watch on TV and when. The issues include inaccurate self-reporting, absence of households that should be represented in the samples, households declining to answer and long wait times for the data. The effort to analyze the diaries is massive: Nielsen uses diary measurement in 154 markets and processes two million diaries a year during “sweeps” periods.

Council for Research Excellence (CRE), a group of media measurement researchers including Nielsen executives, highlighted the biggest problem to date affecting diary data: a shortage of Blacks, Hispanics and young people among the participants.

How effective are diary measurements?

CRE addressed the issue at a “mini-summit” last week Tuesday in New York City. Based on 11 years of Nielsen data collected from 31 diary markets, CRE showed random errors have steadily increased.

Over time, local broadcast and cable ratings adopted a 10 percent margin of error that has become the acceptable standard used in advertising negotiations.

One of CRE’s research studies found only 11.3 percent of diary entries in a day fall within the accepted 10 percent error margin. For primetime viewing hours, the accuracy for entries is somewhat better, with 26 percent within the acceptable range. For evening and late night newscasts, accuracy fell within the acceptable margin at 18.1 percent and 20.7 percent, respectively.

How is this method of collecting viewing data different from a poll????

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Apparently "Continuum" is in pre-production at this very moment of time. I suspect we might hear about the production details within 3 to 4 weeks.

Six months after that will be September. By time those months have passed my sieve of a mind will be referring to the main female antagonist as Kelly Carmichael or something else.

Kiera and Vancouver700.jpg

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
It looks like "Continuum", season 4 is going into production on March the 25th and will come to a close on May 22nd. I think Ryan Robbins tweeted that he is all in. More tweeting will be on the way in the next month as the cast throws in the last of their poker chips.

Let's see, April, May, June, July, August, and September. I will bet for an October release for the last 6 episodes. Oh, well! By then we will get to taste what SyFy has got to offer on their new batch of shows like "Killjoy", "The Expanse", and maybe "Dark Matter".

The "Minority Report" pilot is coming to Toronto on around March 10th.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It looks like "Continuum", season 4 is going into production on March the 25th and will come to a close on May 22nd. I think Ryan Robbins tweeted that he is all in. More tweeting will be on the way in the next month as the cast throws in the last of their poker chips.

Let's see, April, May, June, July, August, and September. I will bet for an October release for the last 6 episodes. Oh, well! By then we will get to taste what SyFy has got to offer on their new batch of shows like "Killjoy", "The Expanse", and maybe "Dark Matter".

What is the premise of these new series'? I get MINORITY REPORT, but what about KILLJOY?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
What is the premise of these new series'? I get MINORITY REPORT, but what about KILLJOY?

I have typing fingers today so I will try and keep it short.

Killjoy(s) it is! From the same people who made "Lost Girl" and "Orphan Black". It looks to have a half decent pedigree. It is/ was made for Bell Media/ CTV / for our "Space" station. Then it was sold to SyFy.

Aaron Ashmore plays one of the characters. There was an old series from 2,000 called Starhunter, which gives me the same type of vibes.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It sounded good up until I read "love triangle"....pass.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I was going to say the show was about inter-galactic bounty hunters, until I read that part. What do you expect from the creator of "Lost Girl"? Oh, well! It sounded fun for a while.

Just 10 episodes, so the risk level is kinda low.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ryan Robbins. :) I like the guy, but his face is a bit TOO familiar in scifi to me now. I get it that it's Canadian television and all, and it's great that he is "all in", but in this particular show he is just not an integral character. In fact, besides Henry in Sanctuary, the emo werewolf, I cant for the life of me think of a truly memorable character he has played. This show is about Kiera, Carlos, Alex, Kellogg, Sonya, Travis and Dillon. All the other characters are redshirts, including Ryan Robbins' character.

Lets hope....

This might just be a sleeper. :) The premise of Minority Report is awesome to me.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Ryan Robbins. :) I like the guy, but his face is a bit TOO familiar in scifi to me now. I get it that it's Canadian television and all, and it's great that he is "all in", but in this particular show he is just not an integral character. In fact, besides Henry in Sanctuary, the emo werewolf, I cant for the life of me think of a truly memorable character he has played. This show is about Kiera, Carlos, Alex, Kellogg, Sonya, Travis and Dillon. All the other characters are redshirts, including Ryan Robbins' character.

I was thinking the same thing over on the SyFy forum. We have 6 commercial bloated shows with a whole slew of characters and no time to give each character a big send off.

Dillon could be half dead in a critical care ward. I think the Ryan Robbins character turns out to be a rat fink, so hopefully they will reveal that real fast. That might mean some film time for at least Kiera, Carlos, Alex, amd Kellogg.

Everything depends on whether Kiera is a true time traveler, or whether she has been on a magical mystery tour for two or three years.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
This might be interesting for some: Take note of the date - July 26, 2015.

http://www.shawmedia.ca/Media/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?pressReleaseId=6442461598

Victor Webster was busy filming a TV pilot in Brazil, so it will be interesting to see how much he is available.
Press Release

Share This

March 26, 2015

PRODUCTION STARTS ON FINALE SEASON OF SHAW MEDIA’S ORIGINAL HIT DRAMA SERIES CONTINUUM

Season Four Premieres July 26 on Showcase

Rachel Nichols, Victor Webster and Eric Knudsen Lead Ensemble Cast for the Critically Acclaimed Show

VANCOUVER, BC, March 26, 2015 - Reunion Pictures, in association with Shaw Media, today announced that production is underway on season four of Continuum, Showcase's Canadian original action-drama about a policewoman from 2077 who travels back in time to track down escaped Liber8 convicts from the future. The six one-hour episode conclusion wraps production in late May and premieres July 26, 2015 on Showcase.

In season four of Continuum, Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols, Criminal Minds, Alias) and the mysterious time traveler, Brad Tonkin (Ryan Robbins, Falling Skies, The Killing) must battle the Future Soldiers who arrived in a flash of light in the last moments of season three. Meanwhile, Kiera's alliance with the remaining members of Liber8 challenges her relationship with both Carlos (Victor Webster, Castle, Melrose Place) and Alec Sadler (Erik Knudsen, Jericho, Scream 4) ....
As an addendum I will throw this in to the mix. I thought William B. Davis had retired to the south of France. Apparently he is back in Vancouver teaching his students, or is he?

Anyways he is still looking good and was told to clear his working schedule for the summer - quite possibly the beginning of June.

Attachments

• Continuum _ Showcase PR.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I see that Showcase has thrown Season 4 Episode 1 up onto their website - so if you are a follower of the show, or one of the few Canadians reading this take note. The following is on a Youtube site. Unfortunately it is supposedly geo locked, but it is available on Itunes in HD.

Of course there are work a-rounds. I sense that at least one group of pirates are up to no good. SyFy, please don't have a stroke. I on the other hand will be waiting for all 6 shows to end up on NetFlix, so there will be no comments from me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I see that Showcase has thrown Season 4 Episode 1 up onto their website - so if you are a follower of the show, or one of the few Canadians reading this take note. The following is on a Youtube site. Unfortunately it is supposedly geo locked, but it is available on Itunes in HD.

Of course there are work a-rounds. I sense that at least one group of pirates are up to no good. SyFy, please don't have a stroke. I on the other hand will be waiting for all 6 shows to end up on NetFlix, so there will be no comments from me.

I am sooooo tempted. :) But I will just wait till Sept 4 when it premieres in the States (it is in my calendar)

NO SPOILERS!