Continuum - This one is a Keeper! Season Two already approved

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to admit, starting from Episode 3 that the writers have finally got their crappacollie together. They must of been passing Cubans around the office once they saw the final product.

This is the first of a string of very interesting episodes. Seeing Patric Gilmore in that 'Second Skin' was a hoot. I know him more as "Drexler" from The Killing and never noticed him in Universe.

I LOVED that episode. Actually, I like all of the episodes I have seen so far. But I dont like the whole thing with Kiera thinking she will go back to an intact future timeline. I dont see how that is going to be possible. But they will come up with some Deus Ex Machina to fix that, Im sure. I loved that female actress who played Kiera's friend from the future...GREAT character. :) Im also loving the new dynamic with the Kagane team split between Travis and Sonya. Not liking Kellogg's thing with Alec and Kiera being okay with it. Im not liking the new drug called Flash being introduced into the show.

Overall, I still love this show. Im even okay with the Wonder Woman suit and all of the goodies built into it. :) I like it because it has flaws, needs power, and is not indestructible.

I stayed up till about 3am watching these, and Im now on episode 4. :)

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I LOVED that episode. Actually, I like all of the episodes I have seen so far. But I dont like the whole thing with Kiera thinking she will go back to an intact future timeline. I dont see how that is going to be possible. But they will come up with some Deus Ex Machina to fix that, Im sure. I loved that female actress who played Kiera's friend from the future...GREAT character. :) Im also loving the new dynamic with the Kagane team split between Travis and Sonya. Not liking Kellogg's thing with Alec and Kiera being okay with it. Im not liking the new drug called Flash being introduced into the show.

Overall, I still love this show. Im even okay with the Wonder Woman suit and all of the goodies built into it. :) I like it because it has flaws, needs power, and is not indestructible.

I stayed up till about 3am watching these, and Im now on episode 4. :)

The writing in this show is so full of nuanced lines, that I am sure I miss a whole lot. The civil war between the Liber 8 factions is getting brilliant. I like how Garcia utters some interesting lines then all hell breaks loose.

The Elena performance by Karin Kornaval? was played brilliantly by her. There are still 5 epis for me to come, so hopefully I will be blown away by seasons end. This is one Sci-Fi fan who is enjoying the ride.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The writing in this show is so full of nuanced lines, that I am sure I miss a whole lot. The civil war between the Liber 8 factions is getting brilliant. I like how Garcia utters some interesting lines then all hell breaks loose.

The Elena performance by Karin Kornaval? was played brilliantly by her. There are still 5 epis for me to come, so hopefully I will be blown away by seasons end. This is one Sci-Fi fan who is enjoying the ride.

LOVED her. I especially loved the scene when Kiera went to visit her with the agent dude, and she played Alzheimer's on him. The look on his face when he realized he was being fooled, and her ice stare of "you have no idea what you are dealing with" was priceless. The video filming work in this show is great. When there is action, its action. :) The drama is brief and powerful...like when Kiera's sister jumped off the roof in the future. I like this show better than most I have seen recently.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LMAO at the Apple product placement in this show. :) They all have iPhones, and they use a lot of iPads in this show...but what those iPhones and iPads are doing, they cannot do. They cannot run the type of software they are showing them run, they cannot just have any old custom app installed on it. :rolleye0014: The advanced programs they are using in those devices cant even run on them. :happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Episode 6, here I come! Im loving this show to death. :) Betty with Liber8? I just finished Episode 7, and the whole cyber shrink thing, But I am not understanding why Alec is working so closely with Kellogg, and why Jason is now being brought in to the lab. I suppose the next few episodes I have not watched will provide some insight. But I love Jason's character in this show. Kiera and Carlos seem to be finding that close partner relationship, and I do not get a hint of romantic shipping between them. Strangely enough, I see that connection more with Kellogg and Kiera more than with Carlos who seems more like her brother. Betty is REALLY with Liber8? OMG!

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I hope episode 5 is the one with the cybernetic shrink. Anyways, you poor soul having to watch 5 or six shows, badly written as they are, all in a row.

Keywords for this show are "Ouroboros" and "WASP". The word Ouroboros has many meanings: one of which comes from wikipedia; The Ouroboros often symbolize self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end.

Some of us suspect that this is not the first time that 'older Alec' has sent people back to alter the past. This one may not be much of a stetch, but from the Andromeda series we have the episode "Ouroboros( Season 2 - 12)", where upon the Magog are eating away at Seamus Harper's innards. To help him out they create some sort of time ripple effect that goes totally awry. Time loops, time ripples, same thing to me.

Some time ago I downloaded one of the show-runners pep talks. They mentioned hiring some of the 'Blade Runner' people to do the late night helicopter scenes. As they were found to be too expensive it looks like they correctly went with Artifex Studios. At another time they mention the word Wasp. In this episode I believe Kiera mentions the word Wasp as well. It will be interesting to find out what all this talk will lead to.:confused0076:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:joy:

OMG, I am SO F'ING GLAD Kiera finally leveled with carlos about her being from the future. Should have happened last season towards the end.

What would be REALLY nice, is if Alec could take Elena's old suit and fit it for Carlos :) I dont like the new Condoleeza Rice-looking woman being in charge of the police force though. :( I liked Dillon better. Also, The girlfriend thing with Alec, meh...is he that stupid? I hope not. Im into episode 7 now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have watched all the way up to Episode 8 and I love this show! I have also realized why this show appeals to me more than one like Defiance or Terra Nova or SGU...the core of it is not soap, it is drama. Specifically, a crime drama. The scifi sauce goes better with crime drama than it does with soap opera IMO. Slather that scifi sauce over comedy, and you get something like Red Dwarf. Slather it over a family show and you get Falling Skies. So why do I love this show? I love crime dramas. :) Add some future tech and a slick execution and a sexy female future cop surrounded by attractive characters and environs, and you have a winner.

I am not sure where this Escher thing is going, but I do know that the notion that the future Kiera came from will not exist. They have made so many changes now that it seems impossible. Why didnt Alec from the future remember that Garza tried to kill him in the past? How much does Alec of the future know about the past he came from? Lots more questions. I love this show! :joy::popcorn:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's okay so far.

I didn't care for Kiera shipping with Kellogg last season, not when her primary motivation in wanting to return to the future is to return to her husband and child. And I also have wondered about some of the elements - like Carlos always getting knocked in the head and Kiera actually thinking nothing that has happened will change the future.

However, even with the flaws its still better than the other choices we have right now. It has an actual plot and they are surfacing some interesting concepts (like that older Alec planned it all).
--- merged: Jun 30, 2013 6:12 AM ---
Okay, I have watched all the way up to Episode 8 and I love this show! I have also realized why this show appeals to me more than one like defiance or Terra Nova or SGU...the core of it is not soap, it is drama. Specifically, a crime drama. The scifi sauce goes better with crime drama than it does with soap opera IMO. Slather that scifi sauce over comedy, and you something like Red Dwarf. Slather it over a family show and you get Falling Skies. So why do I love this show? I love crime dramas. :) Add some future tech and a slick execution and a sexy female future cop surrounded by attractive characters and environs, and you have a winner.

I am not sure where this Escher thing is going, but I do know that the notion that the future Kiera came from will not exist. They have made so many changes now that it seems impossible. Why didnt Alec from the future remember that Garza tried to kill him in the past? How much does Alec of the future know about the past he came from? Lots more questions. I love this show! :joy::popcorn:

This is also why I liked Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct and TekWar - both were crime dramas served in a SciFi sauce.

One aspect to consider - what if this whole series turns out to be a Predestination Paradox a la "Time's Arrow" from ST:TNG? In other words, future Alec sent them all back and sent himself the message all to fulfill history - when he was younger he got such a message and encountered these people and so forth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's okay so far.

I didn't care for Kiera shipping with Kellogg last season, not when her primary motivation in wanting to return to the future is to return to her husband and child. And I also have wondered about some of the elements - like Carlos always getting knocked in the head and Kiera actually thinking nothing that has happened will change the future.

In Episode 6, the cyber shrink made her let go of her little boy and husband. From what I have seen, I do not understand why Kiera thinks there would be the same future waiting for her if she returned.

However, even with the flaws its still better than the other choices we have right now. It has an actual plot and they are surfacing some interesting concepts (like that older Alec planned it all).

This is also why I liked Gerry Anderson's Space Precinct and TekWar - both were crime dramas served in a SciFi sauce.

I never saw Space Precinct, but I did like TekWar :) Crime drama (I think) makes a much better base to pour the scifi sauce over than soap operas. Action fits much better within that context than trying to inject it into a soap opera storyline. Also, the character building is different. They have to have a sense of duty and purpose which is missing from soap operas.

One aspect to consider - what if this whole series turns out to be a Predestination Paradox a la "Time's Arrow" from ST:TNG? In other words, future Alec sent them all back and sent himself the message all to fulfill history - when he was younger he got such a message and encountered these people and so forth.

She could get back BEFORE the execution chamber incident and just not go. :) They can easily come up with a Deus ex Machina to fix it, but I dont think we will ever see that. I think this show (when it ends) will leave us with an unresolved storyline and we will never see her go back. Im okay with that.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
In Episode 6, the cyber shrink made her let go of her little boy and husband. From what I have seen, I do not understand why Kiera thinks there would be the same future waiting for her if she returned.

She could get back BEFORE the execution chamber incident and just not go. :) They can easily come up with a Deus ex Machina to fix it, but I dont think we will ever see that. I think this show (when it ends) will leave us with an unresolved storyline and we will never see her go back. Im okay with that.

My favourite terrorist Garcia got herself into a very "cheeky" situation in Episode 8. I suspect that SyFy will not let me post my screen shots of her over on their site.

Elena came back in time during the year 1975 I think, while Jason did the same in 1992. The question is did they arrive in the same spot as the other Liber 8?

What is interesting to me at least, the on-board psych hinted that he has the capacity to erase her memory if her psychological problems don't correct themselves. No possibilities there.

I am quite sure that the electro-magnetic devices had the capabilities to not only move laterally, but enter the bottom floor as well.

To all those catching up I hope you enjoyed this run of shows. Let me suggest that possibilities are endless now during the next 5 shows and the following 13 next year.

To the executive producers of the show kindly don't blow it. :anonymous:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My favourite terrorist Garcia got herself into a very "cheeky" situation in Episode 8. I suspect that SyFy will not let me post my screen shots of her over on their site.

Elena came back in time during the year 1975 I think, while Jason did the same in 1992. The question is did they arrive in the same spot as the other Liber 8?

What is interesting to me at least, the on-board psych hinted that he has the capacity to erase her memory if her psychological problems don't correct themselves. No possibilities there.

I am quite sure that the electro-magnetic devices had the capabilities to not only move laterally, but enter the bottom floor as well.

To all those catching up I hope you enjoyed this run of shows. Let me suggest that possibilities are endless now during the next 5 shows and the following 13 next year.

To the executive producers of the show kindly don't blow it. :anonymous:

Now that Carlos knows, all of the silly concealments and her tazing him with the suit dont have to happen. And he can go in the lab and see the future tech...his character handled that very well. :) But there is a HUGE opportunity for him if they use Elena's suit. He cannot activate the tech without a CMR, but for armor and protection, yes! It would be a bit small for him though since he is a big guy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Didn't she have the cyber shrink encounter after she slept with Kellogg?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
As far as I can remember ther
Didn't she have the cyber shrink encounter after she slept with Kellogg?

As far as I can remember there is no hint of the psych doctor until Episode S2 - E5. Other people have wondered what psychological event has been thrown on the camel's back that calls for Geata to make an appearance and shut everything down.

From episode 1 of this year it appears that Carlos is more and more questioning everything that Kiera does. Having Travis include Kiera in his delusions hasn't helped. With the devil Gardiner constantly poking our Heroine in the side, maybe this time is just as good as any other time to write in her complete collapse.

From what I could follow there is only a weeks separation between the building being blown-up and the premiere of Season 2. Kiera might of suggested that due to her financial restraints she spent that week on Kellogg's boat. After he gave her that role of hundreds her problem was slightly reduced.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, been meaning to discuss the Season 2 finale.

What's the deal with Alec going back in time to save his girlfriend? If he did that why wasn't anything changed in that present moment where Kiera was?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Okay, been meaning to discuss the Season 2 finale.

What's the deal with Alec going back in time to save his girlfriend? If he did that why wasn't anything changed in that present moment where Kiera was?

Well what's to say that he even succeeded in saving her, or if he even showed up in the right time? For all we know he could've been transported to the future or even further back in time since we only saw him leave and didn't see when he arrived.

Also, one of the freelancers right towards the end said something which sounded like "in this timeline anyway", which hints at there being more than one single timeline where all the changes occur.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well what's to say that he even succeeded in saving her, or if he even showed up in the right time? For all we know he could've been transported to the future or even further back in time since we only saw him leave and didn't see when he arrived.

Also, one of the freelancers right towards the end said something which sounded like "in this timeline anyway", which hints at there being more than one single timeline where all the changes occur.

I bet they have Alec jump to the future and meet himself as an old man. And the good thing about the multiple timelines is that Kiera can go back to her timeline without it being messed up.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

If they had the ability to jump to alternate timelines at will, they wouldn't need to police any of it. They merely become parallel dimensions.

I bet they have Alec jump to the future and meet himself as an old man. And the good thing about the multiple timelines is that Kiera can go back to her timeline without it being messed up.

I doubt it. The fact they are trying to prevent or control changes to the timeline negates the notion that they can jump to alternate timelines at will.

Ok, I just had to erase a couple paragraphs discussing co-existing alternate timelines and paradoxes. I love this stuff but it can get very lengthy. :icon_lol:

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If they had the ability to jump to alternate timelines at will, they wouldn't need to police any of it. They merely become parallel dimensions.

I doubt it. The fact they are trying to prevent or control changes to the timeline negates the notion that they can jump to alternate timelines at will.

Ok, I just had to erase a couple paragraphs discussing co-existing alternate timelines and paradoxes. I love this stuff but it can get very lengthy. :icon_lol:

All very good points! :beckett_new049:

You're right in that the time travel stuff gets so confusing. I wonder if the writers will eff it up or not?

B

Backstep

If there are undisturbed timelines when you 'jump' time, Why when in the future old Alex told Garza she is pretty, she kept asking young Alex that question, then tells Alex about the meeting. Does this show the time lines are mixed or just depending on the amount of "power" used in the transport the father you are tossed from the timeline you left from.

If that makes any sense.