Cat Lovers Thread

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
DUDE!!!
Not even my daughters cat is that big!!!
He weighs more that the female, which is to be expected, but he is just *solid*, not fat :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DUDE!!!
Not even my daughters cat is that big!!!
He weighs more that the female, which is to be expected, but he is just *solid*, not fat :lol:

He is solid AND fat. :( He gained the weight after moving into my apartment from being an outdoor cat. I cant get him to play and run because Fisher is there now. In a bad way, Fisher has impacted the behavior of the other cats. They tolerate him and do not fight, but Siete no longer sleeps on the floor because Fisher hides in the cat tubes on the floor that used to be Siete's favorite spots. Dante avoids him too. So, life is not as fun for my two original cats. Im feeling a little guilt there. I have accomplished integration, but not achieved harmony with these cats. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
My 2 cats are still pissed about the dog dude, there is not much you can do about it. You could get the new one of the tubes and chastise him for it and put Seite back in there so she knows it's "her space". My cat (Shyla) won't go into my daughters room anymore because it is her cats (Cedric) "room" whereas Our room room is Shyla's. Both the cats merely tolerate the dog.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My 2 cats are still pissed about the dog dude, there is not much you can do about it. You could get the new one of the tubes and chastise him for it and put Seite back in there so she knows it's "her space". My cat (Shyla) won't go into my daughters room anymore because it is her cats (Cedric) "room" whereas Our room room is Shyla's. Both the cats merely tolerate the dog.

Those cat tubes were Siete' FAVORITE play spots. He would dart in and out of them, nap in them, and I would sometimes put catnip toys in them he could hunt. But that was before Fisher. Now, he stays up off the floor in the cat trees, looking around every corner. Dante does the same. All the while, Fisher has aggressively pursued his own territory, and now he even has the top perch in my bedroom at night (the other two are on my bed). There is still growling between Siete and Fisher, and a weekly tossle. Fisher now hides in the tubes and will not allow Siete to enter any of the ones I lay out during the day. That strands Siete on the cat tree in my living room. :(

Should I consider re-homing Fisher?

BTW, he will bite me if I pet him too long, whereas Siete and Dante love it. He will unexpectedly nip or bite. Last night he jumped on my computer desk and I had my wireless keyboard in my lap. But I was using the mouse with my right hand. Fisher was sitting crouched on my desk, and suddenly bit my hand that was moving the mouse! Broke the skin but not badly. I sprayed compressed air at him and Siete chased him from the room. After about 30 min I came out and petted him and gave him some treats. Im started to get annoyed by him a bit.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Umm, stuff air, get yourself a super-soaker!!
Honestly, he sounds a bit unfriendly and overly territorial, he either learns to play with others or I would honestly consider re-homing him. How did you end up with him?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Here is the big fat Dante cat

View attachment 28330

It is very unhealthy for a cat to become this fat. Especially if he does not exercise. I am going to have to take drastic measures because he is a porker and I am afraid he will develop the cat form of diabetes. But he does drink a lot of water.

Jebus Krist! It's time to put him on a diet. Get a laser pointer and have him chase it around. Isolate him from the other two during play time if he gets discouraged by the others chasing it, too. He needs exercise. Keeping their food up high should keep him from going into their bowls. There's no way that guy enjoys jumping up onto things. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Those cat tubes were Siete' FAVORITE play spots. He would dart in and out of them, nap in them, and I would sometimes put catnip toys in them he could hunt. But that was before Fisher. Now, he stays up off the floor in the cat trees, looking around every corner. Dante does the same. All the while, Fisher has aggressively pursued his own territory, and now he even has the top perch in my bedroom at night (the other two are on my bed). There is still growling between Siete and Fisher, and a weekly tossle. Fisher now hides in the tubes and will not allow Siete to enter any of the ones I lay out during the day. That strands Siete on the cat tree in my living room. :(

Should I consider re-homing Fisher?

Give it time. They will get used to each other. Cats are as individual and hard-headed as humans, you can't force behaviour out of them.

BTW, he will bite me if I pet him too long, whereas Siete and Dante love it. He will unexpectedly nip or bite. Last night he jumped on my computer desk and I had my wireless keyboard in my lap. But I was using the mouse with my right hand. Fisher was sitting crouched on my desk, and suddenly bit my hand that was moving the mouse! Broke the skin but not badly. I sprayed compressed air at him and Siete chased him from the room. After about 30 min I came out and petted him and gave him some treats. Im started to get annoyed by him a bit.

GF suggested a super soaker and it does work. He needs to learn that you're the alpha. Raise your voice at him when he bites or does something he shouldn't then follow with the soaker. Eventually, he'll learn his place. Following that up with some petting and treats when he's good also shows him you're approval of his behaviour when he's good.

If the situation gets worse then there's really no other solution than putting him up for adoption. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
images

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Umm, stuff air, get yourself a super-soaker!!
Honestly, he sounds a bit unfriendly and overly territorial, he either learns to play with others or I would honestly consider re-homing him. How did you end up with him?

A male co-worker/friend married and his new wife is allergic to cats, so Fisher was about to be put out of his home of 8 years, and be without his human. I wrote about that a page or two back in this thread. Anyway, it already took months of isolation and slow introduction just to get them to tolerate his presence. I can go to work and leave all three of them together, and there will not be too much of an issue, but I occasionally find fur zones where they have fought. No blood, no physical injuries. But the fun factor for Dante and Siete has definitely gone down.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
At 8 years old, the chances of re-homing are prolly pretty slim :(
One other thing, ask the guy you got him of if he was a mouser, I would not be surprised is he was if at that age he still goes after your hand, cause I would expect that more from a younger cat having playtime. Also, as an alternative to a super soaker, you can use a nerf gun as well if you don't want water all over the place.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One other thing, ask the guy you got him of if he was a mouser, I would not be surprised is he was if at that age he still goes after your hand, cause I would expect that more from a younger cat having playtime. Also, as an alternative to a super soaker, you can use a nerf gun as well if you don't want water all over the place.

You seem more an experienced cat daddy than I am at the moment. Both Dante and Siete are bonded as friends and there is no aggression or competition between them at all. They even touch noses and occasionally groom each other. But Fisher is the "interloper" and they yowl a but when they see him or when he enters the bedroom. But they dont pounce or chase him unless he tries to use their litterboxes. But they feel free to use his which is in the bathroom. There is an extra one out in the house which Fisher uses as well. But Dante will yowl if Fisher tries to get on the bed when he is on there. He might even chase him off the bed. I think that Siete is unhappy that he does not have the rule of the house like he used to. He frequently stalks Fisher, or hovers over the tube when Fisher is inside. Fisher can be heard growling inside the tube. :(

Gotts say, I do love my two original boys more than Fisher, but I have a soft spot for that little brave cat.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have always had cats dude :P
OK, are they Yowling as in "daddy I don't like this" or are they Growling as in "GTFO"?
After hearing that though, sounds like Fisher is trying to find his own spot, and if they have taken the "daddy spot" (your bed) away from him as an option, it doesn't surprise me he wants to find somewhere else he feels safe and growls at interlopers. I would say Fisher is not the only one in need of a good spraying/nerfing. Have you got 2 rooms where you can lock the 2 "combatants" away from eachother if the do fight? If you do, lock em up for a bit, and let the 3rd one have full run of the house, jealousy is not just a human trait :P

Bluce Ree

A nerf gun won't have as much impact as water. Being wet makes the cat uncomfortable, which he will want to avoid, whereas he'll eventually get used to being nerfed and see it as a game.

You don't have to go with a big super soaker. A small enough stream that wont leave puddles is sufficient.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Bluce Ree

Oh yeah, make sure they're fixed. I don't recall if you had mentioned whether they were or not. Otherwise, you're going to have literal pissing matches as they try to mark territories. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
A nerf gun won't have as much impact as water. Being wet makes the cat uncomfortable, which he will want to avoid, whereas he'll eventually get used to being nerfed and see it as a game.

You don't have to go with a big super soaker. A small enough stream that wont leave puddles is sufficient.
Yes, a water gun is superior :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh yeah, make sure they're fixed. I don't recall if you had mentioned whether they were or not. Otherwise, you're going to have literal pissing matches as they try to mark territories. :(

All are fixed.
--- merged: Jun 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM ---
Yes, a water gun is superior :)

How about...

181110221636firehose.jpg

No?
--- merged: Jun 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM ---
I have always had cats dude :P
OK, are they Yowling as in "daddy I don't like this" or are they Growling as in "GTFO"?
After hearing that though, sounds like Fisher is trying to find his own spot, and if they have taken the "daddy spot" (your bed) away from him as an option, it doesn't surprise me he wants to find somewhere else he feels safe and growls at interlopers. I would say Fisher is not the only one in need of a good spraying/nerfing. Have you got 2 rooms where you can lock the 2 "combatants" away from eachother if the do fight? If you do, lock em up for a bit, and let the 3rd one have full run of the house, jealousy is not just a human trait :P

Yes. I did this for isolation. Can I re-introduce these cats and change the dynamic? I still have the baby gate and Fisher's "home base" cubby is still intact in the bathroom cabinet but he does not use it anymore since he has free roam of the house now. Siete is the aggressor, not Fisher.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOLOLOLOLOL! I have seen Blue Jays messing with cats since I was little. This time, the cat gets revenge. HILARIOUS!

:smiley-laughing024::rotflmao::laughing:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, Siete just attacked Fisher who was just trying to get away from the Roomba. I have to take all the cat toys and tubes off the floor for the Roomba, so Fisher has no hiding place. He was trying to get out of its way and Siete attacked him so I doused him pretty good with a bottle of water I was drinking. Does he get a timeout too? Will he become scared of me if I continue this? He is my favorite cat. :(