Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
here's my cat snow! art is by jenny parks :)

Awwww..... Awesome! BTW, to insert the pictures, just click the More Options button after uploading, and then you can insert the full picture or a thumbnail. It's in the HowTo section. I did this one for you. :)

Snow is GIGANTIC!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I must say our Maine Coon cat certainly does live up to the more vocal reputation that they carry.
He walks about the house hunting flies and trilling his little butt off.

https://purrcraze.com/are-maine-coon-cats-very-vocal-here-is-the-truth

Your Maine Coon is the fullblooded real deal. :) Siete does everything Maine Coons do, talking his little cat butt off all day, trilling and meowing and chattering too. Has Apophis shown his love of water yet? The once or twice a month I run a bath instead of taking a shower, he will jump in as the water is draining and bat at the little drain tornado at the drain. When it makes that sucking sound, he swipes at it. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Apophis goes in the bathtub every morning af I take a shower. He also drinks from the toilet. Sometimes he's up at the sink in the kitchen. He definitely seems to have some interest in water.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apophis goes in the bathtub every morning af I take a shower. He also drinks from the toilet. Sometimes he's up at the sink in the kitchen. He definitely seems to have some interest in water.

I found out by accident about the Maine Coon love of water. I noticed the first time when Siete jumped in the bathtub while it was full to about 3 inches, and thought "WTF"? Reading up on them, I found that Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest cats (very very similar to Maine Coons) love water and can swim quite well! My next Maine Coon will be a full-blooded one like yours. :) Siete is a mix, but mostly Maine Coon.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/12/12/maine-coon-cats.aspx

10 Fascinating Facts About Maine Coons

1.Biggest Domestic Cat — Maine Coons are the largest domestic cat breed. They're big boned and muscular, with males weighing up to 18 pounds. Maine Coons can be up to 40 inches in length and come in 75 different color combinations. They're also called the American Longhair.

2.The Only Show Cat Breed Originating in the US — As mentioned, the Maine Coon is thought to be the result of breeding between domestic shorthair cats and longhair cats that hitched a ride to America on European settlers' ships. Only the strongest and fittest could survive the harsh New England winters, and to this day Maine Coons are known as hearty working cats with excellent hunting skills.

3.They're Ready for Winter — As Maine Coons adapted to life on the east coast, they have long, shaggy multi-layered fur and large paws that help them walk on the snow. They also have furry ears (some with tufts) and bushy tails, which they can actually wrap around their body for extra warmth.

4."Dogs of the Cat World" — Maine Coons tend to be highly social and like human interaction. They're known for being friendly, loyal, and playful, and they typically get along well with children and other pets. They can even play fetch and be walked on a leash!

5.They Chirp and Trill — Maine Coons don't typically "meow;" they chirp and trill (a mixture of a meow and a purr). Cats may chirp when they spot prey and a trill is often an expression of happiness.

6.They Like Water — Most Maine Coons enjoy the water. They have water-resistant fur and can be quite efficient swimmers.

7.Coon's Cats — Another theory for how Maine Coons got their name is that they are descendants of seafaring cats belonging to British Captain Charles Coon, who sailed off of New England in the 1800s. The cats were said to be called "Coon's cats."

8.Related to Norwegian Forest Cats? — Yet another theory about Maine Coons' origins states that they came to America with the Vikings, which is why they resemble Norwegian Forest Cats.

9.They're Not Related to Raccoons — As mentioned, there's a myth that Maine Coons are related to raccoons, but this is not true.

10.Winner of the First American Cat Show — he first American cat show was held in New York City in 1895. The winner was a brown tabby Maine Coon cat named Cosey, who belonged to Mrs. E. N. Barker.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Siete did this. I was fascinated by it because I always thought cats hated water.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Siete brought me a live mouse today (again). Evidently, the first floor tenants had a mouse problem and when the pest control people patched up entryways, the mice have looking for new homes. My place is probably not going to work out for them because Siete loves catching them. :cat: This one was fully intact and alive when he brought it to me. I actually took video of it this time. I trapped it under a mason jar and flushed it.