Cat Lovers Thread

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
IMG_20190406_081024.jpg

IMG_20190406_085918.jpg

IMG_20190406_091954.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Apophis is an absolutely beautiful cat! I can tell he is going to be big, but he is a Maine Coon so that is no surprise. Such beautiful markings and fur!
He is beautiful indeed. But he's also a major asshole. When I try to pet him, he tries to swallow my hand.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He is beautiful indeed. But he's also a major asshole. When I try to pet him, he tries to swallow my hand.

Does he break the skin? If not, he is "love biting" you, and not trying to hurt you.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Does he break the skin? If not, he is "love biting" you, and not trying to hurt you.
As you can see, unfortunately it's more than just "love bites", and he makes sure to use his claws as well. He's pretty ferocious. More ferocious than any cat I've ever dealt with before. I'm gonna let him know I mean business though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Those are just minor scratches. He is love biting you. My suggestion is to clip his nails, and also get him a tall scratching post. When he grabs your hand, yell OWWW! Hold your hand like you are injured, and also cease all interaction with him (get up and walk away). Do this each time he does the bitey thing. He will get the message.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As you can see, unfortunately it's more than just "love bites", and he makes sure to use his claws as well. He's pretty ferocious. More ferocious than any cat I've ever dealt with before. I'm gonna let him know I mean business though.

Those scratches are not bites. I don't think he knows how easy it is to scratch your skin. When I first got Fisher (R.I.P.), he bit my hand and his teeth sank deep into my flesh. Not a love bite! But my neighbor's cat Oliver does the love bite thing. His owners say he has learned over the years how delicate human skin is so he does not break the skin OR extend his claws, so no scratches. But he does bite and hold your arm or hand when he does it. But it is harmless.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Those are just minor scratches. He is love biting you. My suggestion is to clip his nails, and also get him a tall scratching post. When he grabs your hand, yell OWWW! Hold your hand like you are injured, and also cease all interaction with him (get up and walk away). Do this each time he does the bitey thing. He will get the message.
That's the problem, as soon as you do that and try to pull away, he grabs you really tight and digs down his claws and starts biting even harder. That's why I have those scratches, because he dug down on me like that and THEN I pulled away. I'm gonna have to slap him around for real a bit and let him know who's boss. Even if that means he'll grow weary or afraid of me for the time being. I'm the BOSS CAT in the house, and he needs to figure that out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's the problem, as soon as you do that and try to pull away, he grabs you really tight and digs down his claws and starts biting even harder. That's why I have those scratches, because he dug down on me like that and THEN I pulled away. I'm gonna have to slap him around for real a bit and let him know who's boss. Even if that means he'll grow weary or afraid of me for the time being. I'm the BOSS CAT in the house, and he needs to figure that out.

Try it without pulling away. The first impulse is to pull away, which means you can actually cause the scratches yourself if his claws are touching your skin. Since he is not actually biting you, try yelling OWWW!

There is another way. Ready for it?.....hiss. Open your mouth and press your tongue against the roof of your mouth and hiss loudly. That is what his mother or father would do. He will stop, but you will need to pet him shortly after or follow it up with something pleasant shortly after. Hissing at a cat is sorta like flipping the bird or telling it to "f**k off". You have to soften it after you do it.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found this...I agree that this could be play aggression. BTW, I can see his needle sharp claws in your picture. Clip those bad boys!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Had to post this video...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

A munchkin cat. :( I wish the creator of this breed was jailed for intentionally creating this deformity. I have met one of these cats, and they cannot do many things all other cats do. They cannot jump up on some things, and they cannot climb trees. You can see that they compensate for their stubby legs by behaving in strange ways other cats do not do. They are cute, yes. But their existence is the result of a sick individual.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didn't know they were created in a lab. So they make them look cute to make them suffer?

It wasn't created in a lab, it is a mutation which was selected by intentionally breeding dwarf cats and cats with short legs. It isn't a frankencat like Sphynx cats are. They do not "suffer", it's just that they cannot do many things normal cats can do. They never know that because they are born that way. And they are cute as hell, but for some reason they make me cringe.

http://www.catbreedsjunction.com/munchkin-cats.html

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Who can resist cute faces like that!