• Like it

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Don't have an opinion

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Will never even watch one episode of that soap!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It sucks but SGU is worse

• It's WORSE than SGU!

• Total voters

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How did you manage to dig up this old thread? :icon_lol:

Im glad he did! With the current void of scifi we have now, I might consider watching the other episodes in this series. I watched ONE episode (the premiere) and never watched it again. Unlike SGU and other soap-fi that came out, the creators never admitted that their shows were soap operas. But Caprica's creator Ron Moore CLEARLY stated that Caprica was a primetime soap:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/02/caprica-ron-moore.html

Ron Moore said:
There were segments of the audience that we could never convince -- the female audience for instance -- to try the show. They were held back by the hardware and the really sci-fi trappings of the show, but I always felt like science fiction could accommodate different kinds of storytelling that were character-oriented and more grounded, for lack of a better term. So we decided that this show would be very much based on a planet and character-oriented. And the shorthand for that would be primetime soap.

:daniel_new_anime012

I still might rewatch it if its good. I am not a soap loving guy, but I watched Dynasty and Dallas religiously when they were on! This show...it just turned me right off.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well if you do consider watching it again I should warn you that the first ten episodes are quite mediocre/awful. You can thank Jane Espenson for that. How anyone would ever let her hold the reins of a tv show is beyond me.

There are a few bright spots like episodes 1.05 There Is Another Sky, episode 1.06 Know Thy Enemy, and episode 1.09 End of Line, but otherwise most of the good stuff and real potential that the series had doesn't make itself known until the second half. It's sad really. If they had gotten their priorities straight and packed the majorty of the story of the entire season into the first 10-13 episodes this could've been a great show. But instead it just became a giant missed opportunity. Frakking Jane Espenson. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well if you do consider watching it again I should warn you that the first ten episodes are quite mediocre/awful. You can thank Jane Espenson for that. How anyone would ever let her hold the reins of a tv show is beyond me.

There are a few bright spots like episodes 1.05 There Is Another Sky, episode 1.06 Know Thy Enemy, and episode 1.09 End of Line, but otherwise most of the good stuff and real potential that the series had doesn't make itself known until the second half. It's sad really. If they had gotten their priorities straight and packed the majorty of the story of the entire season into the first 10-13 episodes this could've been a great show. But instead it just became a giant missed opportunity. Frakking Jane Espenson. :facepalm:

I will be able to watch it if I keep in mind that I am watching a soap opera and not science fiction. But it better be GOOD soap (there is such a thing!). The other shows turned me off because they kept trying to claim they were science fiction when they were soaps (SGU). How many episodes are we talking about?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I will be able to watch it if I keep in mind that I am watching a soap opera and not science fiction. But it better be GOOD soap (there is such a thing!). The other shows turned me off because they kept trying to claim they were science fiction when they were soaps (SGU). How many episodes are we talking about?

18 really long episodes. :(

I'll give the unaired episodes a shot since it's on Netflix. I used to catch a little Caprica here and there out of sheer boredom but never watched all episodes consistently since finding out that the "previously on Caprica" pre-show prologue pretty much recapped what I would have stopped to see as I fast-forwarded through the boring parts.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
18 really long episodes. :(

I'll give the unaired episodes a shot since it's on Netflix. I used to catch a little Caprica here and there out of sheer boredom but never watched all episodes consistently since finding out that the "previously on Caprica" pre-show prologue pretty much recapped what I would have stopped to see as I fast-forwarded through the boring parts.

IMO, they were probably the best episodes the show ever did. Things really started to pick up and frankly, if all of the show had been like those five episodes, I think it might have survived a bit longer. The Dirteaters (along with the series finale Apotheosis) is probably my favorite episode of the five since it gave us some good background into the Taurons as a people.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was excited when they first announced this show but like most people was horribly disappointed when it aired. They could have done it sooooooooo much better than they did. They did enough CGI and had a pretty big cast so obviously the budget was big enough to do something really good. Clearly it was the writers who pooped in the punch bowl on this one.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Jane Espenson did some incredible work in the “Buffy World”. Being one of the creators of Warehouse 13 I would like to suggest that some of those shows were watchable. She did write one of the better “Once” shows unfortunately I thought it wasn’t as fun as the others and too dark for that series.

Unfortunately for the series I think it was only during “The Dirt Eaters” that the show first seemed to snap together. The tension between the characters was palpable. Having Sammy cause the indirect death of a person and the resulting twist was some of the better writing in the show.

With Elisabeth Rosen, formerly portraying that pesky intellectual Jennifer Haily, playing Kolibri the deep acting pool that was SG-1 came into play again. Unfortunately we really weren’t told whether she survived the shooting or did she just bleed out.

The show gives us a real good hint as to when Bill Adama is likely to be born and in what year that the Holocaust will likely occur. The term 30 years after the start of the Tauron Civil War should be remembered. I think that show introduced a cigarette lighter that was first mentioned in the BSG series.

G

Graybrew1

I have been working through a personal rewatch on my own of BSG. I fully plan it moving forward to Caprica when I get done that, next. I think Caprica has many good points about it, but it did drag for a while in the middle for me.

S

Stonelesscutter

FYI, Caprica is on Netflix now.

I just watched the final 5 or 6 episodes that I missed from last year and they were better than I'd thought they'd be (although I thought the CGI in the finale was a bit cartoonish).

IMO the mafia stuff and slow pace after the pilot killed this series. Anyway, spoilers for some other tidbits...

William Adama dies! :eek: But no worries, he is replaced right at the end by "Bill" Adama - son of Dr. Fraiser from SG-1 - and conveniently named after his brother. :P

At the end of the season finale there were a lot of short scenes previewing season 2. A lot of Clarice preaching to the now servant Cylons (they showed a Cylon struggling to walk a few dogs!) and the Graystones were back on top of the industrial world.

They even had Zoe arising from a goo-bath. :facepalm:

Does this mean there will be a new Caprica season?

SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I smell a "save Caprica" campaign on the horizon. :D

Yes, on the sunset horizon! I understand they did an impressive "send apples" campaign werein thousands of apples were delivered to the studios along with emails to save the show. :) I wont start ragging on it because it might be good. I gagged on the first episode and never went back. But I also gagged n the first episode of Terra Nova and now Im waiting for its return. :) But I am going in expecting a soap so I will have a different mindset.

SciphonicStranger

See previous response. :)

SyFy may have messed this one up by having a long hiatus and then moving it from Friday to Tuesday out of the blue. Still, this show had issues...