• Like it

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Don't have an opinion

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Will never even watch one episode of that soap!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It sucks but SGU is worse

• It's WORSE than SGU!

• Total voters

nahuatl

GateFans Noob
Welcome Nahuatl! :welcomewagon:

Good point. I agree that this aspect makes some sense - and it makes sense too that Graystone can't figure out the exact algorithm Zoe made in order to make the "conscious" AIs - but what I think is silly about the entire thing is why these robots need to think and feel, and to basically "be" humans mentally to get the job done. They could just be programmed to follow orders / shoot things without being full-blown "conscious" beings. That's the big plot hole I see - all the tasks it seems they want the robots to carry out, don't require a replication of human "consciousness". Not to mention creating a truly "human" AI would be an extremely complex task and they just glaze over that entire aspect with some mumbo jumbo about the cumulative "impressions" of someone's life being brought together.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I totally agree that this "impressions" someone makes throughout their life is silly made even sillier by the fact that all that data is 3G or something close to it (there are ipods with more memory capacity).

I think there are other types of primitive AI on the show for example Serge the Graystones robot butler. I think the real difficulty was creating an MCP (meta cognitive processor) chip that worked. Zoe's little creation was way beyond what anyone could of dreamed of (which is silly again because it was created by 16yr old kid). Daniel assumed that the ZoeA would be downloaded into the MCP then inserted into the robot and everything would work. He didn't know that the MCP was never supposed to work, but somehow it did creating this weird trinity: original Zoe's personality, ZoeA, and the robot making them three distinct beings pressed into one creation.

I guess what they're trying to say is that all of this is accidental despite peoples best efforts, and most of the characters are just reacting to whats happening instead of methodically and purposefully creating something (at least when it comes to robots and AI).

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

I perfer caprica over SGU anytime. I think the reason is because caperica yes has some boring meladrama but it acutally has a scifi story that doesn't move at a snails pace and seems like there a little bit more action. I sill think caprica is medicore SCFI compared to SG1,SGA and star trek but there nothing much else to watch. The show relys on modern day themes to faul the story which i don't mind but i don't know how long that will stay interisting. I think its too teenager like sometimes and that blond women that CEO's wife is really annoying and boring. Like I said its story moves at an almost decent pace. If they took out the boring monements with his wife and little less whinning from the teenagers it might even be somthing i might consider to be an acutal scifi show. They can fix caprica real easy to be somewhat decent but SGU they will have to get rid of a lot things.

So yes still kinda sucky but not as bad as SGU.

Yes at one point in some eps sgu and caprica were both evenly boring but at least caprica started to turn up the scifi factor of the show.

nahuatl

GateFans Noob
I perfer caprica over SGU anytime. I think the reason is because caperica yes has some boring meladrama but it acutally has a scifi story that doesn't move at a snails pace and seems like there a little bit more action. I sill think caprica is medicore SCFI compared to SG1,SGA and star trek but there nothing much else to watch. The show relys on modern day themes to faul the story which i don't mind but i don't know how long that will stay interisting. I think its too teenager like sometimes and that blond women that CEO's wife is really annoying and boring. Like I said its story moves at an almost decent pace. If they took out the boring monements with his wife and little less whinning from the teenagers it might even be somthing i might consider to be an acutal scifi show. They can fix caprica real easy to be somewhat decent but SGU they will have to get rid of a lot things.

So yes still kinda sucky but not as bad as SGU.

Yes at one point in some eps sgu and caprica were both evenly boring but at least caprica started to turn up the scifi factor of the show.

Caprica can get pretty slow too, but nothing as mind numbing as SGU MY GOD THAT WAS BORING!

I think there was an entire episode where they dealt with the lights being off/power on the ship. AN ENTIRE EPISODE!

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Unvanquished

Robbie, here is a special spoiler just for you:

She's ALIVE! Apparently, not even resurrected in 3D. But ALIVE! Hiding out in a cabin somewhere with the sexy polygamist, watching sad, pleading messages from the hubby that say "I miss you," on her snazzy pre-historic macbook pro!

For the episode as a whole:

Besides some eye-roll moments, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. I don't mind the slower pace because the characters and their plots engage me. I feel a tension building and I really want to know what happens next. In this episode, most of the major plots were visited, with special emphasis on Clarice presenting her master-plan on Gemenon to the "mother superior" of the monotheist order (who was dressed quite like a Catholic nun - enter the stereotyping), and a bunch of "elder-monk-types" who stole their outfits from Merlin's costume room. Oh we also got an assasination "a la Caesar," which made me laugh a little. Anyways, interesting developments in this episode. I hope it gets better ratings than SGU.

nahuatl

GateFans Noob
Robbie, here is a special spoiler just for you:

She's ALIVE! Apparently, not even resurrected in 3D. But ALIVE! Hiding out in a cabin somewhere with the sexy polygamist, watching sad, pleading messages from the hubby that say "I miss you," on her snazzy pre-historic macbook pro!

For the episode as a whole:

Besides some eye-roll moments, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. I don't mind the slower pace because the characters and their plots engage me. I feel a tension building and I really want to know what happens next. In this episode, most of the major plots were visited, with special emphasis on Clarice presenting her master-plan on Gemenon to the "mother superior" of the monotheist order (who was dressed quite like a Catholic nun - enter the stereotyping), and a bunch of "elder-monk-types" who stole their outfits from Merlin's costume room. Oh we also got an assasination "a la Caesar," which made me laugh a little. Anyways, interesting developments in this episode. I hope it gets better ratings than SGU.
First off who said putting together the two most batshit crazy women on the show was a good idea? How amazing would it be if Amanda found out that Clarice was the one who recruited her daughter and all the other kids. I'm thinking temporary insanity ala blinding violent rage.

Anyways the episode was actually good, not great, but definitely good. How cool would it be if Caprica (known for terrible ratings) beat SGU? One can only dream.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

robbie, here is a special spoiler just for you:

she's alive! Apparently, not even resurrected in 3d. But alive! Hiding out in a cabin somewhere with the sexy polygamist, watching sad, pleading messages from the hubby that say "i miss you," on her snazzy pre-historic macbook pro!

damn you evil writers!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
It wasn't perfect, in fact, it had a lot of problems. Still, these last few episodes were great and the series truly started to show real promise and It's sad that the show is ending now. Still, I suppose it's good that the show goes out on a high point. The last episode did bring some closure to parts of the series, but it also opened up a few possible storylines that sadly I won't see. I especially loved "The Shape of Things to Come" sequence at the end of episode.

[video=youtube;5As4_h-_FDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5As4_h-_FDc

I do believe that the show lost a lot of viewers because of poor pacing and unnecessary storylines in the beginning, and the whole first season could probably have been shortened to ten episodes by losing a few storylines and shortening others, but not enough to make it feel rushed.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
I especially loved "The Shape of Things to Come" sequence at the end of episode.

Thanks for sharing the video! I haven't seen the last three episodes yet - but I liked the Shape of Things to Come sequence! Especially the - "I really think you should kneel" hahaha so awesome - and the look on Clarice's face!

I do believe that the show lost a lot of viewers because of poor pacing and unnecessary storylines in the beginning, and the whole first season could probably have been shortened to ten episodes by losing a few storylines and shortening others, but not enough to make it feel rushed.

Completely agree. Myself, I was not drawn in with the premiere and only came back to the show by accident a few episodes later (Nothing else was on and I was bored) - and then I was surprised that I actually liked it! Too bad it was cancelled - I will check out Blood and Chrome, maybe I'll like that too, since I prefer action adventure in general anyway.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Thanks for sharing the video! I haven't seen the last three episodes yet - but I liked the Shape of Things to Come sequence! Especially the - "I really think you should kneel" hahaha so awesome - and the look on Clarice's face!

Indeed. Lacy was really starting to show just how badass she could be in the second half. :D
It's too bad the Shape of Things to Come sequence was originally intended as a Next Season on Caprica thing. The series was to jump forward a few years after season 1, and we would see these storylines unfold. It's too bad that the show got canned, because there are a lot of things in this video that I would like to see explored upon more. :(

Completely agree. Myself, I was not drawn in with the premiere and only came back to the show by accident a few episodes later (Nothing else was on and I was bored) - and then I was surprised that I actually liked it! Too bad it was cancelled - I will check out Blood and Chrome, maybe I'll like that too, since I prefer action adventure in general anyway.

I'll check out Blood and Chrome too. While I enjoy action-adventure, I would still like it too keep the character centric storylines and dark storytelling of BSG and Caprica. If it is turned into a series, I would also prefer if it was an arc driven series instead of offering a lot of one-shots.

general grievous

GateFans Noob
Glad this has been put to a vote.

Voted 'liked it', I watched the season to the end, especially the last few episodes were good

True, I fast forwarded by default every time Zoe's mom came up on screen haha

Once you do that, it's a good series :)

Honestly, there was a lot of bullshit drama in Caprica but the series had a lot of redeeming qualities as well

Unlike SGU <= literally nothing good to say about this one! True season 2 is not as horrid as season 1 but it's still plainly a bad and boring series.

general grievous

GateFans Noob
I especially loved "The Shape of Things to Come" sequence at the end of episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5As4_h-_FDc

Just wondering - do you think that this was originally in the ending of the series or they added it once they knew they're being canceled, so to do a quick catch up on the story?

Because this scene sort of bridges the way to the cylons' revolt, maybe paving the way to the upcoming Blood and Chrome.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Mixed but not good enough

I had a mixed appreciation of it. I thought much sci-fi stuff was very good, especially the penguin house butlers. But I checked out when that damn teenage broad kept showing up all the time. In the bar. When I checked out of SGU - Earth it was the same bullshit - twenty-nothings in bars masquerading as sci-fi. Fuck that, you're dealing with a guy that saw 2001 in the theatre in '69. I had enough, I tossed both shows in the shit can because they were being set up to cater to teenagers and to shape/influence their consumption. They'll both get what they deserve for it too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hated the show.

I hated Caprica from the very first episode. I find the overt religious overlays on the show offensive. I find the imagery derivative and too much like Earth for me to believe its anywhere else, and the stories did not engage me. I could go at length, but as you can see, I pretty much hated it.

Oh, and I also saw 2001 in the theaters, as well as watched the live moon landing shots! This newer "sci fi" is trying to get away from itself. Either that, or the marketing gods have now taken control of the entertainment industry and have designs on it to make it the next big advertising delivery vehicle.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Just wondering - do you think that this was originally in the ending of the series or they added it once they knew they're being canceled, so to do a quick catch up on the story?

Because this scene sort of bridges the way to the cylons' revolt, maybe paving the way to the upcoming Blood and Chrome.

I think that it was the original ending because it was intended for Caprica to jump forward a few years in season 2, and I've even heard that on some downloaded versions of the episode, the text says "Next Season on Caprica" instead of "The Shape of Things to Come".

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I had a mixed appreciation of it. I thought much sci-fi stuff was very good, especially the penguin house butlers. But I checked out when that damn teenage broad kept showing up all the time. In the bar. When I checked out of SGU - Earth it was the same bullshit - twenty-nothings in bars masquerading as sci-fi. Fuck that, you're dealing with a guy that saw 2001 in the theatre in '69. I had enough, I tossed both shows in the shit can because they were being set up to cater to teenagers and to shape/influence their consumption. They'll both get what they deserve for it too.

Which girl?

This one?
View attachment 2437

Or this one?
View attachment 2438

Also, I am assuming that you're talking about the V-World when you mention some bar.

I'm not trying to start anything, but I'll take Caprica over 2001 any day. I've always found that movie to be terribly overrated.

I will really miss Caprica. One of the reason I liked the show was because it was different from other science fiction shows. If everything is the same things get boring very quickly. I enjoyed Caprica a lot because of the social commentary and the insights we saw into the society of the Twelve Colonies, and the differences and similarities between Earth and Caprica. Stuff like that has not often been seen in sci fi tv series, and I don't count one of those one shot episodes of Star Trek where we don't see anything of the world after the episode ends.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
FYI, Caprica is on Netflix now.

I just watched the final 5 or 6 episodes that I missed from last year and they were better than I'd thought they'd be (although I thought the CGI in the finale was a bit cartoonish).

IMO the mafia stuff and slow pace after the pilot killed this series. Anyway, spoilers for some other tidbits...

William Adama dies! :eek: But no worries, he is replaced right at the end by "Bill" Adama - son of Dr. Fraiser from SG-1 - and conveniently named after his brother. :P

At the end of the season finale there were a lot of short scenes previewing season 2. A lot of Clarice preaching to the now servant Cylons (they showed a Cylon struggling to walk a few dogs!) and the Graystones were back on top of the industrial world.

They even had Zoe arising from a goo-bath. :facepalm:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
FYI, Caprica is on Netflix now.

I just watched the final 5 or 6 episodes that I missed from last year and they were better than I'd thought they'd be (although I thought the CGI in the finale was a bit cartoonish).

IMO the mafia stuff and slow pace after the pilot killed this series. Anyway, spoilers for some other tidbits...

William Adama dies! :eek: But no worries, he is replaced right at the end by "Bill" Adama - son of Dr. Fraiser from SG-1 - and conveniently named after his brother. :P

At the end of the season finale there were a lot of short scenes previewing season 2. A lot of Clarice preaching to the now servant Cylons (they showed a Cylon struggling to walk a few dogs!) and the Graystones were back on top of the industrial world.

They even had Zoe arising from a goo-bath. :facepalm:

How did you manage to dig up this old thread? :icon_lol: