Brand new shows this year

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You should rewatch part of LK. The big bad Viking, Abbo (sp?) had a seer who would tell him when to do battle or not. He was said to have to always have him with him. Also all Vikings speak of Viking Gods like Thor, so while a religion in a way, since it is Thor and Vahala, in many's mind, it is Fantasy. This is because nobody on today's planet believes in Thor or Vahala, unlike mine or a dozens other religion of today. I do not personally feel a seer is a part of any real part of life in any way shape or form. This is Fantasy part of LK. I also don't see any current religions today as Fantasy so let's not go there. If you were to say Thor and Vahala is not Fantasy then you would have to say that Clash of the Titans is also Historical/Drama.

We are going to have to disagree about GOT being as much Fantasy as LOTR. I personally feel that LOTR had multiple fictional species running around looking for a magic ring to stop a giant eye in the sky from destroying the world is just a tad more true Fantasy than men using some magical creatures to do battle over land and kingdoms and wordly goods. Much of the show is really just about the rulers of the Snows', Lannisters' and Targaryen battle for power. Yes, it has some Fantasy thrown in, I never denied that, but far far far from LOTR. You say potato and me and a few hundred thousand others say potahto. Hence, all those articles in USA and globally comparing the two period piece dramas of similar genre.

I think you are debating for sake of debating now. Saying the elves and whatnot are iterations of man is a Fantasy in itself. Elves were magical in LOTR. Are the Dwarfs and Hobbitts supposed to be our pets? Of course LOTR is full of Fantasy beings, it is a true hardcore Fantasy, unlike GOT, which is much lighter in Fantasy and more of a Fantasy/Historical/Drama.

You go too deep into historical facts for me, as I said, I loved Tudors and Borgias but it was not because of how much really happened it was because it was entertaining. For record, yes I knew Spartacus was doomed and the ship would make it back in Appollo. :cool: History is cool but for a TV/Movie entertainment comes first. I have no "ooo and ah" of Old England or Ireland anymore. Live in BF and it will wear off fast. If anything I just feel more sorry for the poor souls who lived through this climate with no electricity. It's cool you do, but that is no a big draw for me.

Sutter has his heart set on his new baby. RIP BE. I did not care for Irish part of SOA or the Mayans, so it is a lose, lose for me. I think I might abstain and let my SOA dudes die a graceful death in my mind.

yes- seer's valhalla, thor,etc-fantasy

but at the time, it was not for the believers

and thats another thing-the way a lot of these shows try to insert the non believer into historical settings--hard to believe. sure there were pagans,etc-but everyone had some belief in some type of religion

all religion is fantasy--whether based on a book, revelations or trees and Maia-all fantasy

You must of only watched LOTR's or else you would know, that the "eye in the sky" was not the way Sauron was depicted in the books. just another one of his 'expressions' of power

not saying i beleive in elves-Tolkien's or otherwise-just telling what Tolkien wrote about them in his writings that go far beyond LOTR's or HOBBIT

in his mythology-Elves and Men (both separate species of Human) were created in the mind /"song" of Illuvatar (deep in the weeds now :winking0052:). The elves with their long life and persistent attachment to Earth were the first born-the ones to explore and tame the world and prepare it for Man (of which-HOBBITS and the Druedain were a part of).

Man's 'mission' was to learn from the firstborn and create his dominion from what was given to him to cultivate-but to do so in moderation and out of need not gain

but of course it was corrupted from greed and fear....

Orcs were captured and mutilated, tortured-physically and mentally, elves and latter,men. They reproduced (which means that they would of had to mutilate and torture their own offspring to become "orc") and lived lives after the fashion of men and elves but in a lower and corrupted manner. In his books, Tolkien never described the Orcs as just one type/appearance- there were many. It was Jackson who gave them the look we all think of them. he also never said that Elves had pointed ears either-only Hobbits were described by him as having pointed ears as "our elf (the spelling is important) of the Shakespearian notion-meaning pointed ears-that has been passed down to us"

((sidenote--I would love it if the Shannara Chronicles were an extension of Tolkien's work!I have been told by RAC(?) that the elves in Shannara are elves that have been in hiding in the pacific NW, which kind of fits with their living in the 'hidden' land of Valinor, that was to the west of middle earth (midgard, the "world" of mediaeval times-Europe) and only reveal themselves after man has made a muckery of the world--much like their role in Tolkien's view-the custodial and "oh shit, they f'd the planet up, we got to step in again and fix it" tyep of thing.But I know that rights of ownership,etc, prevents any open admission of that))

all these notions of LOTR's for the non reader is courtesy of Jackson --don't get me started on THE HOBBIT Films!

but i massively digress into serious Geekdom!!!

anyhow-yes, I understand what you are saying, but the majority of ppl out there wouldn't know the difference between a historical drama or a fantasy set on planet buzzbuzz-they just want the big bang shiny SFX to watch on their big, curved, flat screen

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Have you seen the most recent ep with Queen seer and the two children? I just saw it. If you have not, I will not spoil for you. When you have, let me know. I also suspect a huge repercussion of the magic used as well in this ep of LK.

If you have, you now must agree, LK has Fantasy as well, and it is not for what they just believed.

Yes, I know about Sauron, I was being a smartass. LOTR is all Fantasy. Full of symbolism but yes that really is OT about anything since we agree LOTR is Fantasy. I will also say, NO, I did not read books, my whole POA is about TV/Movies.

If you read LK, it could have been non Fantasy but BBC has added in Fantasy, probably to compete with GOT as I mentioned they want a piece of that Lucrative Tourism pie. So many tourists I have met here are here for GOT. Imagine if LK gets a similar following in England. It makes total sense how LK shows "present day" names of these locations of each new place. Wessex is Winchester which is in a great spot for a tourist mecca. Just far enough from London to be doable to do both and yet not effect London traffic. In the south so a longer high season than BF's GOT tours. I can just see the dollar signs in BBC exec eyes now.

Anyhoo.....I think that my whole point is specifically about LK and GOT and also explaining why so many professional reviewers compare the shows as well as myself.

OT: I really liked this last ep, as I said, more Fantasy makes this show much better. Viva Historical/Fantasy/Drama!

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Have you seen the most recent ep with Queen seer and the two children? I just saw it. If you have not, I will not spoil for you. When you have, let me know. I also suspect a huge repercussion of the magic used as well in this ep of LK.

If you have, you now must agree, LK has Fantasy as well, and it is not for what they just believed.

Yes, I know about Sauron, I was being a smartass. LOTR is all Fantasy. Full of symbolism but yes that really is OT about anything since we agree LOTR is Fantasy. I will also say, NO, I did not read books, my whole POA is about TV/Movies.

If you read LK, it could have been non Fantasy but BBC has added in Fantasy, probably to compete with GOT as I mentioned they want a piece of that Lucrative Tourism pie. So many tourists I have met here are here for GOT. Imagine if LK gets a similar following in England. It makes total sense how LK shows "present day" names of these locations of each new place. Wessex is Winchester which is in a great spot for a tourist mecca. Just far enough from London to be doable to do both and yet not effect London traffic. In the south so a longer high season than BF's GOT tours. I can just see the dollar signs in BBC exec eyes now.

Anyhoo.....I think that my whole point is specifically about LK and GOT and also explaining why so many professional reviewers compare the shows as well as myself.

OT: I really liked this last ep, as I said, more Fantasy makes this show much better. Viva Historical/Fantasy/Drama!

yeah i saw the last ep

the kid had a fever--cool mud would help to lower a fever from critical levels--no magic there, just good common sense unadulterated by religion. The only magic I saw in LAST KINGDOM was the Christian Priests and their services/prayers-if there was something else-tell me specifics :smiley-money-mouth:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You should rewatch part of LK. The big bad Viking, Abbo (sp?) had a seer who would tell him when to do battle or not. He was said to have to always have him with him. Also all Vikings speak of Viking Gods like Thor, so while a religion in a way, since it is Thor and Vahala, in many's mind, it is Fantasy. This is because nobody on today's planet believes in Thor or Vahala, unlike mine or a dozens other religion of today.
Umm..........
What the fuck??
I do not personally feel a seer is a part of any real part of life in any way shape or form. This is Fantasy part of LK. I also don't see any current religions today as Fantasy so let's not go there. If you were to say Thor and Vahala is not Fantasy then you would have to say that Clash of the Titans is also Historical/Drama.
No, we really should go there, so you can tell me exactly what the fuck Jehova has done for you lately.
Clash of the Titans is mythological drama, like the rest of the Mythological Drama's.
You know, Biiblical stories for example.
We are going to have to disagree about GOT being as much Fantasy as LOTR. I personally feel that LOTR had multiple fictional species running around looking for a magic ring to stop a giant eye in the sky from destroying the world is just a tad more true Fantasy than men using some magical creatures to do battle over land and kingdoms and wordly goods. Much of the show is really just about the rulers of the Snows', Lannisters' and Targaryen battle for power. Yes, it has some Fantasy thrown in, I never denied that, but far far far from LOTR. You say potato and me and a few hundred thousand others say potahto. Hence, all those articles in USA and globally comparing the two period piece dramas of similar genre.
Add a dragon, or a God, it is fantasy at worst, and mythological at best.
I think you are debating for sake of debating now. Saying the elves and whatnot are iterations of man is a Fantasy in itself. Elves were magical in LOTR. Are the Dwarfs and Hobbitts supposed to be our pets? Of course LOTR is full of Fantasy beings, it is a true hardcore Fantasy, unlike GOT, which is much lighter in Fantasy and more of a Fantasy/Historical/Drama.
Yes, GOT is low fantasy.
It is still fantasy.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
yeah i saw the last ep

the kid had a fever--cool mud would help to lower a fever from critical levels--no magic there, just good common sense unadulterated by religion. The only magic I saw in LAST KINGDOM was the Christian Priests and their services/prayers-if there was something else-tell me specifics :smiley-money-mouth:

Keep watching. When the other baby dies, if it is the one I think it could be, then you get it was "pagan" seer magic.

In order for it to be BBC's GOT they have to add in Fantasy or many GOT will not like it since it is not the same show as what they prefer.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Umm..........
What the fuck??

No, we really should go there, so you can tell me exactly what the fuck Jehova has done for you lately.
Clash of the Titans is mythological drama, like the rest of the Mythological Drama's.
You know, Biiblical stories for example.

Add a dragon, or a God, it is fantasy at worst, and mythological at best.

Yes, GOT is low fantasy.
It is still fantasy.
The POA of my whole discussion is not about GOT not being a Fantasy, it is about why LK is similar to GOT. Young stated how GOT is just as much a Fantasy as LOTR and I disagreed.

I abhor any discussion that involve digs on my God or faith. What he has done for me lately? That's a pretty personal question. One I think you don't really want an answer to, but I can tell God in my life has helped me personally to a large extent over all the last few years especially. I don't knock anyone else's beliefs so when I say my belief is hands off for me. I truly mean it. If you wish to call the Bible a myth I am going to leave discussion since you are a dear friend and wish to keep it that way.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The POA of my whole discussion is not about GOT not being a Fantasy, it is about why LK is similar to GOT. Young stated how GOT is just as much a Fantasy as LOTR and I disagreed.
It is a fantasy, it is just a "low fantasy" setting. In Scifi terms, it would be "hard Scifi"
Everything makes sense, but there are certainly fantastical elements, even if they are not the main thrust of the story.

I abhor any discussion that involve digs on my God or faith. What he has done for me lately? That's a pretty personal question. One I think you don't really want an answer to, but I can tell God in my life has helped me personally to a large extent over all the last few years especially. I don't knock anyone else's beliefs so when I say my belief is hands off for me. I truly mean it. If you wish to call the Bible a myth I am going to leave discussion since you are a dear friend and wish to keep it that way.
Azalia/Grey/whatever you want to call yourself.
You just said Nordic gods are myths, and no one believes in them because they are pure fantasy, Guess what? People -DO- believe in them, so you just dismissed their entire belief structure as bullshit, and now -you- are getting offended when I deal with your's in the -exact same way-??
Come on :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Keep watching. When the other baby dies, if it is the one I think it could be, then you get it was "pagan" seer magic.

In order for it to be BBC's GOT they have to add in Fantasy or many GOT will not like it since it is not the same show as what they prefer.

i think we must be watching different "LK's"

Only one baby died--or rather, was shown to have been dead, in the last episode. The King's child was saved by the Cornish seer Queen- Uhtred's son died-and yes, Iseult made a good guess at that.

That was in ep 8-the last episode of series 1

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

GOT is set on a whole other planet/alternate Earth!!! How can you get more fantastical then that?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
GOT is set on a whole other planet/alternate Earth!!! How can you get more fantastical then that?

WHAT!?!?!?! It isn't real!?!?!?

And here I thought it was set in Milwaukee!

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
During Leofric and Uhtred's fight to the death, Guthrum's Danes attack. Uhtred, Leofric and Iseult rescue Hild and escape, hiding in the Somerset marshlands. There they discover Alfred, fleeing the Danes with his family. The king sends a message to Wulfhere, Beocca and Asser, who rally to him with their remaining forces. Iseult cures Alfred's sick son Edward, but warns that another child will die as a result. Skorpa's fleet of ships is moored elsewhere in the marshes. Uhtred and his men lure the guards into the deeper marshes, where they are killed and their ships set alight.

I think you can see what I mean by this breakdown of the show's last ep....
Hint, another baby is going to die.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
During Leofric and Uhtred's fight to the death, Guthrum's Danes attack. Uhtred, Leofric and Iseult rescue Hild and escape, hiding in the Somerset marshlands. There they discover Alfred, fleeing the Danes with his family. The king sends a message to Wulfhere, Beocca and Asser, who rally to him with their remaining forces. Iseult cures Alfred's sick son Edward, but warns that another child will die as a result. Skorpa's fleet of ships is moored elsewhere in the marshes. Uhtred and his men lure the guards into the deeper marshes, where they are killed and their ships set alight.

I think you can see what I mean by this breakdown of the show's last ep....
Hint, another baby is going to die.

did you see the ep yet?

the other child to die-is Uhtred's son. no other children died between then and the end of the season