Brand new shows this year

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
did you know he is going to play Ponch in the CHiPs remake?

wow,can't wait :topsy_turvy:

I didn't know they were remaking CHiPs. Why God? Why? :moody:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are going for a dark reimagining of CHiPs.

The character of Jon will be recast as a woman officer who will make Vic Mackey look like the paragon of being noble and ethical. Ponch will be his conflicted partner who wrestles with romantic feelings while at the same time running a meth lab out of the evidence room.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not out here yet, I was just wondering how they would deal with Red :lol:

Now, Blacklist is a good show with the FBI in it :)

last season i was getting a bit concerned as some of the eps were getting a bit "formulaic" with just a smidgen of trope
but it was still very good TV

I hope they can keep the edge

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
last season i was getting a bit concerned as some of the eps were getting a bit "formulaic" with just a smidgen of trope
but it was still very good TV

I hope they can keep the edge

Im hearing good stuff about Blacklist from friends. Perhaps I will take a look....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so what 'backstory' do you choose to follow? the comic books?

that is exactly why I liked the Dark Knight movies and Gotham--no comic bookish characters--that is no special powers, no catwoman who was licked back to life by cats, no penguin with Penguin like feet,etc,etc

just realistic ppl--the villains are quite twisted yes, but not something better presented in a cartoon
the heroes are just guys who have super cool tech and do a hell of a lot of trng

See, thats the thing. These ARE comic book characters. There is no reason I should have any sort of expectations of realism in a movie or show which has a character like a "Batman" or "The Penguin" or a "Catwoman". None at all.

the "kids" are not kids anymore--the innocence is gone--Sabrina Kyle is now part of penguins gang and bruce wayne is under estimated by his "enemies" at wayne enterprises and a boy turned man far beyond his yrs

just me though

Kids grow up. :) But the first impression can only be made ONCE, and everything else is only a makeover. Watch the first two episodes of Gotham again when you get a chance and perhaps you will understand why a lot of people might not have been exactly salivating for more. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yeah-you probably wouldn't like it

there are 2 eps out if you want to try one to see if you like- I recommend you FF through the first ep and just pause to watch the important parts (skip the dreams, flashbacks, just watch when the main character is interacting with his buds or with the witchy-ish character (Katey SAGAL)

Then watch all of the 2nd ep--it starts getting better

IMO, Both SHIELD and SoA started this way as well. though BLUCE may disagree :love_heart:

ironically- the BASTARD EXECUTIONER was axed

too slow paced for ppl from what I read

and, if you are new to Sutter's work, you wouldn't have the patience to muddle through this show

if you have watched his stuff before, you would know it starts a bit slow and picks up

given the setting of this show (13th century Wales) he didn't have any 'bright shiny objects' to distract like Harleys or cops busting coke dealing gangsta's

but, you know me, of course I liked this show-while it lasted

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wow, they didn't even give it two seasons?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Did you try watching it?

No, I was referencing my belief that most cable shows are given at least a two-season run from the start. They seem to do that so much these days. Kind of interesting to know that shows can still get axed with only one season under their belt.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Bad is bad, I did not care for BE....felt very SOA in a time warp on qualudes to me. The Last Kingdom over on BBC started off strong but is quickly now losing my interest, it is no GOT competitor in the slightest.

Minority Report is doomed at this point according to tv by numbers. Limitless is just getting more interesting for me, finally some good humor in it. Quantico is good, but Blindspot is better, it still has me sucked in. Code Black is meh, Chicago Med is like 2 shows in, Supergirl is getting too preachy and overly campy for me, Wicked City is pooof....gone already. The Expanse, well, I saw it once, but I am watching it again, and then well see. Heroes Reborn is such a let down. Rosewood is starting to grow on me now, but I fear it is not long for this world. Scream Queens was a hoot to watch over Halloween and it has some humor and camp but not sure how long it will hold my interest.

I am still laughing at Life in pieces, The Muppets sorta suck but come on, it's the Muppets, a few good lines make me chuckle and feel ah so nostalgic so keep em coming.

Still a few more new ones yet to start so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a few good ones in them.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
No, I was referencing my belief that most cable shows are given at least a two-season run from the start. They seem to do that so much these days. Kind of interesting to know that shows can still get axed with only one season under their belt.

I agree that some shows that do start slow find their footing at some point late in the first season or sometime during the second season. This show, however, was like watching paint dry or a pair of snails mating. You could see the potential in this show but it spent way too much time in drawn out dialogue and the story moved at an all but standstill pace.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Bad is bad, I did not care for BE....felt very SOA in a time warp on qualudes to me. The Last Kingdom over on BBC started off strong but is quickly now losing my interest, it is no GOT competitor in the slightest.

I have read a bunch of articles and reviews concerning these two shows. and everyone of them referenced game of thrones

Look, I don't mean to offend (really I don't :love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:), but if someone can not tell the difference between a historically based drama (like BE, Last Kingdom and vikings) and something that is complete fantasy (not even on this earth like at least Tolkien's stuff is) like GOT, then, just don't watch any of it to start with.

Reminds me of when SPARTACUS was on and all these ppl on line would talk about "wonder how (the rebellion) is going to end?" :smiley-laughing021:. Well if you had paid attn in HS or at least googled it, you would have known how it ended. In Spartacus-as in LAST KINGDOM and even VIKINGS-the major outcome can be known from history- regardless of the characters and 'players' involved in the story.

"No GOT competitor" indeed! :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I likewise got a chuckle out of the goobers speculating on who would win in Spartacus. It was almost as silly as once hearing someone watching Apollo 13 (superb film) and wondering aloud if they made it back in real life...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree that some shows that do start slow find their footing at some point late in the first season or sometime during the second season. This show, however, was like watching paint dry or a pair of snails mating. You could see the potential in this show but it spent way too much time in drawn out dialogue and the story moved at an all but standstill pace.

I am thinking-from things I read Sutter had commented on about BE-is that Sutter didn't want to go on after all the bad reviews. Didn't want to go on making the product if so many ppl disliked it--that all artist thing I guess.

It did go slow, and it did seem a bit like THE SHIELD and SOA character wise. All three shows had a fraternal unit in place, events of the fiction developed around them. This show had an outlier storyline as well (with the competing "holy orders" fighting one another over the ancient writings) that may have just been too confusing for some.

And getting right down to it,and extending on that possible viewer confusion is= why can't a show like this make it? that is, why can't the viewers be 'smart(yeah,I f'g said it!) enough' to have the patience and understanding to "get it"?

And slow paced? yes, it was. But just like SHIELD AND SOA were fast paced-they were in a fast placed setting -BE was in a slow paced setting,everything about life in the 13th century was slow paced.It would have been ludicrous if the action was fast and furious like in either of Sutter's previous shows. Would have been as bad as that old King Arthur movie where everything was as it should be except Arthur and his knights were on motorcycles! Bet today though, that a remake of that would go over real well on network TV.

Anyhow, BE is done but LAST KINGDOM will most likely be back--there are 9 books in the Saxon Chronicles so far, this series only used material from the first 2.

and I wonder, given my dislike of the uneducated (really, it should be basic history) in history, how many viewers realized that there is a direct historical connection between the events of last kingdom and VIKINGS?

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have read a bunch of articles and reviews concerning these two shows. and everyone of them referenced game of thrones

Look, I don't mean to offend (really I don't :love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:), but if someone can not tell the difference between a historically based drama (like BE, Last Kingdom and vikings) and something that is complete fantasy (not even on this earth like at least Tolkien's stuff is) like GOT, then, just don't watch any of it to start with.

Reminds me of when SPARTACUS was on and all these ppl on line would talk about "wonder how (the rebellion) is going to end?" :smiley-laughing021:. Well if you had paid attn in HS or at least googled it, you would have known how it ended. In Spartacus-as in LAST KINGDOM and even VIKINGS-the major outcome can be known from history- regardless of the characters and 'players' involved in the story.

"No GOT competitor" indeed! :rolleye0014:
Do you watch GOT? Do you watch LK?

The reason so many compare GOT to Historical dramas is because it is one with a small amount of Fantasy mixed in at times. This season had a higher amount but many eps have none in it at all. I do watch both and if LK threw in a witch, dragon and whitewalker it could be same show. Fiction is fiction, but GOT is hella more similar to LK than a true complete Fantasy of LOTR. In both LK and GOT men fight men for lands and kingdoms in 98 percent of time. In LOTR, trolls, dwarfs ( not little people), elves, wizards and men fight. This is no ring or eye in sky of GOT. Lastly, GOT is a Historical/Fantasy/Drama and LK is a Historical Drama, of course people will compare. By the way, in LK the Vikings speak of magic and seers and so there really already is some Fantasy in LK. A comparison of the two makes complete sense. LK and GOT are both in very old English/Irish-esque lands with castles and moats, sailing on boats to cross seas, horses to cross land and armor and swords in the battlefield. The Tudors and Borgias were both historically based but much was not "really" actual history, this does not really bother me one way or the other as long as it is entertaining.

Another of the comparison over here is CASH. NI is land of GOT and it is a huge tourist draw here for it. England wants a piece of this pie so they have LK in hopes it will create as large of a tourist boom. If LK did have even a smidge more of some Fantasy it might help the show, the main storyline now feels too far fetched without it imo.LK will be back, BBC has a lot of high hopes riding on it. Luther has a special coming up to finish up the series properly. Sherlock has a Christmas special around Christmas to tide us over till next year and TG needs to bounce back so BBC really wants LK to make it. On live tv here, they promo the crap out of it.

I was never comparing BE to GOT, I compared that to SOA since I was a huge fan of the show till last season and it never was as slow in first eps. BE is gone but Sutter already has another in his wings and perhaps why this one was nowhere near as good as SOA. His love is for money and fame now and not just telling a good story.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do you watch GOT? Do you watch LK?

The reason so many compare GOT to Historical dramas is because it is one with a small amount of Fantasy mixed in at times. This season had a higher amount but many eps have none in it at all. I do watch both and if LK threw in a witch, dragon and whitewalker it could be same show. Fiction is fiction, but GOT is hella more similar to LK than a true complete Fantasy of LOTR. In both LK and GOT men fight men for lands and kingdoms in 98 percent of time. In LOTR, trolls, dwarfs ( not little people), elves, wizards and men fight. This is no ring or eye in sky of GOT. Lastly, GOT is a Historical/Fantasy/Drama and LK is a Historical Drama, of course people will compare. By the way, in LK the Vikings speak of magic and seers and so there really already is some Fantasy in LK. A comparison of the two makes complete sense. LK and GOT are both in very old English/Irish-esque lands with castles and moats, sailing on boats to cross seas, horses to cross land and armor and swords in the battlefield. The Tudors and Borgias were both historically based but much was not "really" actual history, this does not really bother me one way or the other as long as it is entertaining.

Another of the comparison over here is CASH. NI is land of GOT and it is a huge tourist draw here for it. England wants a piece of this pie so they have LK in hopes it will create as large of a tourist boom. If LK did have even a smidge more of some Fantasy it might help the show, the main storyline now feels too far fetched without it imo.LK will be back, BBC has a lot of high hopes riding on it. Luther has a special coming up to finish up the series properly. Sherlock has a Christmas special around Christmas to tide us over till next year and TG needs to bounce back so BBC really wants LK to make it. On live tv here, they promo the crap out of it.

I was never comparing BE to GOT, I compared that to SOA since I was a huge fan of the show till last season and it never was as slow in first eps. BE is gone but Sutter already has another in his wings and perhaps why this one was nowhere near as good as SOA. His love is for money and fame now and not just telling a good story.

Yes, I watch them both :smiley-laughing011:

GOT is total fantasy--nothing in it has to meet with the constraints of actual earth history--they could have a character bust out with a blaster and light saber all while wearing chain and plate mail on horseback

there is an equal amount of fantasy in GOT as LOTR

first-if one reads ALL of the material one would see that all of the character races-except dwarves, ents and trolls-are all different iterations of man-even the elves are the 'firstborn' -sep. from actual mankind by their long lives and the subsequent amount of learning that such a long life would bring

anyhow--between the white-walkers and the hordes of dead (just zombies in a different light btw), the lord of light and his priestesses, the mystical disease that turns pl to stone and the faceless men who can literally change appearances AND the dragons--a whole lot of fantasy

LAST KINGDOM has no fantasy, just historical fiction all set (on Earth ;)) in a time of intense turmoil and change for Britain. Interestingly, seems that this period of pre Norman times. is what current Englishmen know the least about, another factor for the growing interest there in these books and shows.

BE- was also set,more loosely, in history and did have a small fantasy (well,religious) portion. I am sure that it would have been developed more in any future season. But, it too, was also set in a period of action that many ppl do not know about as well-the Norman English expansion into Wales and the settling of Welsh territory by nobility and soldiers of King Edward 'longshanks' after his Scottish wars (which I would guess a whole lot of ppl know a little about because of Mel Gibson :smiley-money-mouth:)

PPL look at things-TV included, at too much of a face value, first time impression. They think that because they see ppl in chain mail then it MUST BE either about King Arthur or something like D&D or GOT's. The similarly tune out when they see bad cops and "righteous criminals" or school teachers cooking meth and subsequently miss out on a hell of a story

:love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Yes, I watch them both :smiley-laughing011:

GOT is total fantasy--nothing in it has to meet with the constraints of actual earth history--they could have a character bust out with a blaster and light saber all while wearing chain and plate mail on horseback

there is an equal amount of fantasy in GOT as LOTR

first-if one reads ALL of the material one would see that all of the character races-except dwarves, ents and trolls-are all different iterations of man-even the elves are the 'firstborn' -sep. from actual mankind by their long lives and the subsequent amount of learning that such a long life would bring

anyhow--between the white-walkers and the hordes of dead (just zombies in a different light btw), the lord of light and his priestesses, the mystical disease that turns pl to stone and the faceless men who can literally change appearances AND the dragons--a whole lot of fantasy

LAST KINGDOM has no fantasy, just historical fiction all set (on Earth ;)) in a time of intense turmoil and change for Britain. Interestingly, seems that this period of pre Norman times. is what current Englishmen know the least about, another factor for the growing interest there in these books and shows.

BE- was also set,more loosely, in history and did have a small fantasy (well,religious) portion. I am sure that it would have been developed more in any future season. But, it too, was also set in a period of action that many ppl do not know about as well-the Norman English expansion into Wales and the settling of Welsh territory by nobility and soldiers of King Edward 'longshanks' after his Scottish wars (which I would guess a whole lot of ppl know a little about because of Mel Gibson :smiley-money-mouth:)

PPL look at things-TV included, at too much of a face value, first time impression. They think that because they see ppl in chain mail then it MUST BE either about King Arthur or something like D&D or GOT's. The similarly tune out when they see bad cops and "righteous criminals" or school teachers cooking meth and subsequently miss out on a hell of a story

:love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:
You should rewatch part of LK. The big bad Viking, Abbo (sp?) had a seer who would tell him when to do battle or not. He was said to have to always have him with him. Also all Vikings speak of Viking Gods like Thor, so while a religion in a way, since it is Thor and Vahala, in many's mind, it is Fantasy. This is because nobody on today's planet believes in Thor or Vahala, unlike mine or a dozens other religion of today. I do not personally feel a seer is a part of any real part of life in any way shape or form. This is Fantasy part of LK. I also don't see any current religions today as Fantasy so let's not go there. If you were to say Thor and Vahala is not Fantasy then you would have to say that Clash of the Titans is also Historical/Drama.

We are going to have to disagree about GOT being as much Fantasy as LOTR. I personally feel that LOTR had multiple fictional species running around looking for a magic ring to stop a giant eye in the sky from destroying the world is just a tad more true Fantasy than men using some magical creatures to do battle over land and kingdoms and wordly goods. Much of the show is really just about the rulers of the Snows', Lannisters' and Targaryen battle for power. Yes, it has some Fantasy thrown in, I never denied that, but far far far from LOTR. You say potato and me and a few hundred thousand others say potahto. Hence, all those articles in USA and globally comparing the two period piece dramas of similar genre.

I think you are debating for sake of debating now. Saying the elves and whatnot are iterations of man is a Fantasy in itself. Elves were magical in LOTR. Are the Dwarfs and Hobbitts supposed to be our pets? Of course LOTR is full of Fantasy beings, it is a true hardcore Fantasy, unlike GOT, which is much lighter in Fantasy and more of a Fantasy/Historical/Drama.

You go too deep into historical facts for me, as I said, I loved Tudors and Borgias but it was not because of how much really happened it was because it was entertaining. For record, yes I knew Spartacus was doomed and the ship would make it back in Appollo. :cool: History is cool but for a TV/Movie entertainment comes first. I have no "ooo and ah" of Old England or Ireland anymore. Live in BF and it will wear off fast. If anything I just feel more sorry for the poor souls who lived through this climate with no electricity. It's cool you do, but that is no a big draw for me.

Sutter has his heart set on his new baby. RIP BE. I did not care for Irish part of SOA or the Mayans, so it is a lose, lose for me. I think I might abstain and let my SOA dudes die a graceful death in my mind.

Last edited: