Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Was surprised by the kid with this last night.

I really liked it a lot, and the audience reaction (all positive) was wonderful.

A very good conclusion to the trilogy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Was surprised by the kid with this last night.

I really liked it a lot, and the audience reaction (all positive) was wonderful.

A very good conclusion to the trilogy.

Hmm...call me clueless, but I have seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and I am not understanding everybody talking about the "end of the trilogy". Without spoiling it, can you tell me why this is the "end" of it? They did not kill off Batman, did they? I am not understanding how things are supposed to be going...were these three movies a prequel to a long string of Batman movies, with this trilogy defining Batman's origins?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This series had a beginning, a middle and an end. You'll have to actually see it to understand any further. Everything from the first to the third movie is pretty much all tied up in a bow with this one.

It's also the "end of the trilogy" because neither Nolan nor Bale will be doing any of more of the films. Hell, even Gary Oldman has "hung up" his Gordon mustache.

I don't think I could explain any further without revealing too much.

As for being about the Batman's origins, this one begins eight years after the death of Harvey Dent, with Bruce Wayne living as pretty much a Howard Hughes'ian kind of hermit.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I'll probably won't be seeing this one in the theater, or any movie for that matter anytime soon. It's getting to the point you can't leave your house these days. :apologetic:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I'll probably won't be seeing this one in the theater, or any movie for that matter anytime soon. It's getting to the point you can't leave your house these days. :apologetic:

20120627_224217.jpg

Above is what FIFTEEN DOLLARS buys you in the theater snack bar in California. :facepalm:. I only do theaters for 3D and IMAX....for now. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This series had a beginning, a middle and an end. You'll have to actually see it to understand any further. Everything from the first to the third movie is pretty much all tied up in a bow with this one.

It's also the "end of the trilogy" because neither Nolan nor Bale will be doing any of more of the films. Hell, even Gary Oldman has "hung up" his Gordon mustache.

I don't think I could explain any further without revealing too much.

As for being about the Batman's origins, this one begins eight years after the death of Harvey Dent, with Bruce Wayne living as pretty much a Howard Hughes'ian kind of hermit.

Well, that sorta sucks. So, we will not see the classic baddies in this Dark Knight iteration? At least we saw them in the previous Batman movies. How was Hathaway as Catwoman? Was she anywhere as good as the one done by Pfeiffer? If not, perhaps she blended into this darker version...I am with Ape, this one will be gotten at my "source" or viewed at home on Netflix whenever it comes out.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, that sorta sucks. So, we will not see the classic baddies in this Dark Knight iteration? At least we saw them in the previous Batman movies. How was Hathaway as Catwoman? Was she anywhere as good as the one done by Pfeiffer? If not, perhaps she blended into this darker version...I am with Ape, this one will be gotten at my "source" or viewed at home on Netflix whenever it comes out.
I really liked her a lot as Catwoman. I never enjoyed Michele Pfeiffer's version of her.

Classic baddies? Not really. You've got Bane, and someone else we already know shows up partway through the movie (in a recurring gag), but in more of a humorous touch. I know the folks in the theatre with me erupted in giggles when they saw the baddie.

As for safety, theatres across the country have stepped up security at showings of the film. There were at least a couple of L.A.'s Finest outside the Arclight Hollywood when we saw it Friday evening.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I really liked her a lot as Catwoman. I never enjoyed Michele Pfeiffer's version of her.

Classic baddies? Not really. You've got Bane, and someone else we already know shows up partway through the movie (in a recurring gag), but in more of a humorous touch. I know the folks in the theatre with me erupted in giggles when they saw the baddie.

As for safety, theatres across the country have stepped up security at showings of the film. There were at least a couple of L.A.'s Finest outside the Arclight Hollywood when we saw it Friday evening.

I do want to see it. :) But I dont think I am willing to pay to see it in the theater at the moment. I might change my mind. How about reviewing it for the front page? :tickled_pink:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I do want to see it. :) But I dont think I am willing to pay to see it in the theater at the moment. I might change my mind. How about reviewing it for the front page? :tickled_pink:
I could do that. I've got some things to do earlier in the day (like stuff my face with sushi), but after that, anything's possible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could do that. I've got some things to do earlier in the day (like stuff my face with sushi), but after that, anything's possible.

Mmmm. Sushi sounds good about right now. :) Im still wanting to try that chicken pot pit at that place near you. We must make it a date.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
View attachment 7412

Above is what FIFTEEN DOLLARS buys you in the theater snack bar in California. :facepalm:. I only do theaters for 3D and IMAX....for now. :)

Yeah, movie concession stands are a catalyst contributing to the fall of the traditional theater. You've got a nickel of popped corn kernels, $1 bottle of water and $2 of M&Ms from the corner store.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yeah, movie concession stands are a catalyst contributing to the fall of the traditional theater. You've got a nickel of popped corn kernels, $1 bottle of water and $2 of M&Ms from the corner store.
Movie theatres make most of their money from concessions, NOT from ticket sales.

Thus, if you go in with your own stuff, they get annoyed (and some theatres outright ban it).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I would rather the transperancy of 30 buck tickets to be honest.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

For 30 bucks do I get a huge bucket of popcorn and a Big Gulp too? Woo-hoo!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Me too. :( I would much rather have to pay a ticket at $30.00, then be able to pick 2 or three items from a selection (included with the ticket) and that would be more honest to me. That bottle of Dasani water (16 oz) costs 69cents at 7-11, and the M&Ms cost $1.50. That amount of popcorn is about a half cup of kernels, and one can buy a 5 POUND bag of kernels for $2.00, enough to make more than 20 of those popcorn bags.

Illiterati is right,in many of these theaterplexes, bringing your own stuff in is prohibited. They wont pat you down exactly, but if you are carrying a bag in or carrying exposed candy and food, you might be denied entrance. I could have spent $5.00 and gotten more goodies at 7-11 down the street, including a bag of popcorn or cheez corn. :winking0052:

I may see this movie in the theater after all, but I want to hear more about it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Movie theatres make most of their money from concessions, NOT from ticket sales.

Thus, if you go in with your own stuff, they get annoyed (and some theatres outright ban it).

I wont name names like The Regal Cinemas in Rolling Hills Estates here: http://www.moviefone.com/theater/regal-cinemas-avenue-13/195/showtimes ...oops. :devilish:

I had a frappucino and a bag with two chocolate chunk cookies from Starbucks which is directly across from the theater, and I was denied entrance. Never went back.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I wont name names like The Regal Cinemas in Rolling Hills Estates here: http://www.moviefone.com/theater/regal-cinemas-avenue-13/195/showtimes ...oops. :devilish:

I had a frappucino and a bag with two chocolate chunk cookies from Starbucks which is directly across from the theater, and I was denied entrance. Never went back.
As a kid, I learned how to sneak food in and avoid the garbage. If you're particularly careful, you can even get that Frappucino in there as well.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the joy of ladies purses! you can smuggle lots in. the benefits of living in an area that has winter-- BIG pockets in winter coats! :biggrin:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan