The Expanse Season 4 has dropped on Amazon

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
you can always watch lost in space s2 after... that is--so far--way worse then expanse s4... way of rebalancing perceptions :)
LOL ... ah no . Not gonna watch that , but Yes , The Expanse is the best but sadly I am very disappointed with Season 4 . Reading the rest of the 4th book now . I wish they were still following the books like they did with 1 , 2 and 3 . Maybe I will have a different perspective once I finish book 4 .
Happy New Year ...
:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I got moving on this again.

I am liking the story on New Terra and also how Avarsarala is fighting a real political campaign. I'm not liking so much what they did to Bobbie Draper. Duarte I know from the books so I have to be careful about accidental spoilers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like this season, but they are deviating from the books a bit too much. :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
@Tripler at least a few critics feel a bit like us on this season; still a great show, but with obvious changes

i guess others are just looking past those changes..like wonder girl Felcia and all the heroes are women-this reviewer doesn't mention that though (because that would be socially unacceptable)

"Fans of Battlestar Galactica will see a lot in common with that show’s third season, where colonization of a barren planet served as a crucible for its characters and a swing-for-the-fences attempt to make its themes about hostile occupation and resistance extremely clear. The Expanse has less of a handle on what it’s trying to do on Ilus / New Terra, partly because it operates on such a large scale, and it takes a long time to show how the effects of its now-larger universe begin to spiral outward."

from: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/20995419/the-expanse-season-4-review-premiere-amazon

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
interesting.. gary nerdrotic doesn't have any review or comment video on season 4...hmmmm?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I like this season, but they are deviating from the books a bit too much. :(
Deviating ! Holy CRAP !!! It's huge . I am only at chapter 4 of book 4 and right off the bat , 2 of the characters get switched/relocated . The book is amazing and I get a thrill reading it ! If they had followed the book I would not be stating how much I now hate the Expanse . . Absolute crap and it has now joined the mainstream garbage and I will never re-watch it , ever . I have watched SO1 , 2 and 3 over 50 times now but will never watch SO4 .
ffs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Deviating ! Holy CRAP !!! It's huge . I am only at chapter 4 of book 4 and right off the bat , 2 of the characters get switched/relocated . The book is amazing and I get a thrill reading it ! If they had followed the book I would not be stating how much I now hate the Expanse . . Absolute crap and it has now joined the mainstream garbage and I will never re-watch it , ever . I have watched SO1 , 2 and 3 over 50 times now but will never watch SO4 .
ffs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am going to halfway agree with you here. The deviations from the book are so large that it isn't quite the same story even though the event timelines are still basically intact. Somebody is sprinkling in ingredients and flourishes that are not part of the books or even part of the "tone" of the story. If they bend it much further, they are going to break The Expanse. :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am going to halfway agree with you here. The deviations from the book are so large that it isn't quite the same story even though the event timelines are still basically intact. Somebody is sprinkling in ingredients and flourishes that are not part of the books or even part of the "tone" of the story. If they bend it much further, they are going to break The Expanse. :(

..and every woman is a hero. is that in the books?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
everyone in reviewing on YT (like nerdrotic and some others in that group) and others either do not have a review for s4 up at all or their review makes you wonder if they watched the same show we did

they do not hesitate to hammer the shows they pre judged as bad, but with this show, the show they all love (and rightly so) and pre judged would be great on amazon, is ignored or its faults looked over

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
..and every woman is a hero. is that in the books?

No, and the way the books are written you don't even think about it. The changes they have made are clearly SJW related. But the show has not slipped into their control. The authors of the books used to have creative control over the show, and they must have had to make room for more chairs.

everyone in reviewing on YT (like nerdrotic and some others in that group) and others either do not have a review for s4 up at all or their review makes you wonder if they watched the same show we did

they do not hesitate to hammer the shows they pre judged as bad, but with this show, the show they all love (and rightly so) and pre judged would be great on amazon, is ignored or its faults looked over

No. Gary and other Fandom Menace YT channels do not "pre judge" any shows to be bad. None of them are haters for no reason. Bad shows are just bad, bad movies are bad and that will show on multiple levels. You really do not understand Gary or Nerdrotic or the Fandom Menace at all. Seems to me that whenever Star Wars SPECIFICALLY is attacked, you get defensive. Even when it is no longer what George Lucas created. Nobody is attacking the Expanse on that level because it isn't deserved at this point, and he is probably not discussing it because there are more important videos to make regarding the rapidly falling trajectory of TroS, and the coming almost certain fail of Star Trek Picard.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No, and the way the books are written you don't even think about it. The changes they have made are clearly SJW related. But the show has not slipped into their control. The authors of the books used to have creative control over the show, and they must have had to make room for more chairs.

No. Gary and other Fandom Menace YT channels do not "pre judge" any shows to be bad. None of them are haters for no reason. Bad shows are just bad, bad movies are bad and that will show on multiple levels. You really do not understand Gary or Nerdrotic or the Fandom Menace at all. Seems to me that whenever Star Wars SPECIFICALLY is attacked, you get defensive. Even when it is no longer what George Lucas created. Nobody is attacking the Expanse on that level because it isn't deserved at this point, and he is probably not discussing it because there are more important videos to make regarding the rapidly falling trajectory of TroS, and the coming almost certain fail of Star Trek Picard.

no, he just has NO review at all on it, i am interested to see if he will be of equal judgement with this season has he has been with other shows. or will he handle it gently and give them a pass of some sort

or will he just continue to not do a review and ignore the matter

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But the show has not slipped into their control.

once it goes woke, its broke

i dont know why they have chose to do this sjw touch--most of amazons originals are not like this. i wonder who has done this to expanse?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Gary and the rest of Fandom Menace already said why they have not yet reviewed it - Amazon dropped the whole season at once and to review it all will take a lot of time - which with other things (like Rise of Skywalker) they have yet to have the time to address. They will get to it at some point one assumes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
once it goes woke, its broke

i dont know why they have chose to do this sjw touch--most of amazons originals are not like this. i wonder who has done this to expanse?

I think that when you accept funding from a benefactor, it can and is used as leverage to force changes and agendas and to influence hiring decisions on the production that would not be possible if they weren't bankrolling the show. And you are 100% correct in the assessment of "once it gets woke, it's broke". If they deviate any more than what they have, they will destroy the show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think that when you accept funding from a benefactor, it can and is used as leverage to force changes and agendas and to influence hiring decisions on the production that would not be possible if they weren't bankrolling the show. And you are 100% correct in the assessment of "once it gets woke, it's broke". If they deviate any more than what they have, they will destroy the show.

the other amz originals are not like this though. the tptbs for them dont seem to give a shit about who they offend or not

just take a quick look at tin star or goliath or bosch

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
really? no pre judgement?

No, not pre-judgement. There is already enough info out there to assess the failure of the show before a single episode has aired. Just like Discovery. The Fandom Menace called the failure of Discovery (both seasons) before they even aired. We called the failure of Terminator Dark Fate and Charlie's Angels even before the trailers were out. It isn't at all arbitrary.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No, not pre-judgement. There is already enough info out there to assess the failure of the show before a single episode has aired. Just like Discovery. The Fandom Menace called the failure of Discovery (both seasons) before they even aired. We called the failure of Terminator Dark Fate and Charlie's Angels even before the trailers were out. It isn't at all arbitrary.

this doom shit is why a few ppl are not posting here any longer. rather. your adherence to the 'fandom' positions is what annoys them

i just want them to give a fair rating to everything to INCLUDE THE SHOWS THEY LIKE. If they like s4 expanse then they should say so, otherwise, it just looks like they make videos that are all negative

it would be a great stretch of imagination to allow gary or anyone to say that S4 is as good as the other seasons. he has used his "WOman" comments everywhere a female character is shown- even in MANDALORIAN

if he does not make the comment that in S4 things are changed from the book ( i read through a synopsis of cibola burn again and see that in the book Naomi doesn't go to the surface of new terra) and that women are pretty much the only ones doing positive or 'heroic' things in it then he is being blatantly dishonest