The Expanse Season 4 has dropped on Amazon

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Last week Season 4 of The Expanse dropped on Amazon Prime. And it is the whole season. I am choosing to only watch it one episode at a time as opposed to all at once as the show deserves to be digested a bit more slowly.

I liked the first episode. A lot of it was basically catching us up on everyone and everything. I liked meeting Holden's Earth family, seeing more of Mars and the time spent with Alex and Amos as well as addressing the whole question of how someone who has spent too much of their lives in no/low gravity can potentially live on a planet.

Hopefully the goodness continues in the other epodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last week Season 4 of The Expanse dropped on Amazon Prime. And it is the whole season. I am choosing to only watch it one episode at a time as opposed to all at once as the show deserves to be digested a bit more slowly.

I liked the first episode. A lot of it was basically catching us up on everyone and everything. I liked meeting Holden's Earth family, seeing more of Mars and the time spent with Alex and Amos as well as addressing the whole question of how someone who has spent too much of their lives in no/low gravity can potentially live on a planet.

Hopefully the goodness continues in the other epodes.
I started to binge them and then i stopped so I could process it. :) The excellence continues!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ep 5 now

its good, i liked the previous seasons faster pace, but even though this is a bit diff--being on a planet-- it is still a good watch

i am hoping the 'machines' on New Terra we pan out to some revelation in this season, be nice to see more of just what the aliens are/were up to

--------------------
and, so many "strong women" this year!

at least 6

and all the male characters- except Holden-are either neutral or they are either ass hats, criminals or killers

one guy is extorting a strong martian woman, another is killing/tryin to kill strong women on New Terra

strong woman scientist questioning Holdens actions being told to mind her place by Holden

seems that even these TPTB's have not totally avoided the trend of making women strong and seemingly without fault/ victims. while the men are brutes concerned with killing,sex and mucking up things they know nothing about

just saying...

OK, bring on the hate :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well, that Felcia , not quite a Mary Sue, but how did she suddenly become so smart that she is running the crew of the Belter ship? How does she know about systems and orbital mechanics than the experienced crew does?

and the women, the women are doing early everything

saving each other, saving the ships, pushing Miller to turn of the planet

all while the men-except holden-all sit around or just get in the way and make a mess of things

"males as the problem" could be a sub title for the season:)

hey, it is a great show, it wouldn't matter to me if the cast were all female... but there is definitely some virtue signalling and political messaging going on

wonder how long we have to wait for next season? going by other AMZ originals, it could be as long as a year and a half

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can't say as I am on a self imposed schedule where I am watching it one episode a week.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I can't say as I am on a self imposed schedule where I am watching it one episode a week.

and these comments are about the show itself--the plot and production are excellent

i am getting more at how it seems these "fill the boxes" societal requirements are seemingly creeping into every production

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would like to see an LGBT version of Bewitched or Hazel.
HAZEL! I forgot about that show, and I used to watch it religiously every week when I was a kid! How would they do that I wonder? Bewitched would be easy to do.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Flying Nun could pop by

I still occasionally watch that show, as I have it in my collection. :) But I completely forgot about Hazel! Loved Nanny and the Professor too. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
still nothing on all those strong WO-men characters?

also, i read a synopsis of Cibola Burn and it seems like there are some pretty significant changes with the show, did this happen in previous seasons?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Watched 8 episodes so far and beyond disappointed with season 4 . What a snore fest . I will try and watch the next 2 but I have lost all interest in it . Thanks a lot Amazon for destroying what was the best show out there .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
ep 5 now

its good, i liked the previous seasons faster pace, but even though this is a bit diff--being on a planet-- it is still a good watch

i am hoping the 'machines' on New Terra we pan out to some revelation in this season, be nice to see more of just what the aliens are/were up to

--------------------
and, so many "strong women" this year!

at least 6

and all the male characters- except Holden-are either neutral or they are either ass hats, criminals or killers

one guy is extorting a strong martian woman, another is killing/tryin to kill strong women on New Terra

strong woman scientist questioning Holdens actions being told to mind her place by Holden

seems that even these TPTB's have not totally avoided the trend of making women strong and seemingly without fault/ victims. while the men are brutes concerned with killing,sex and mucking up things they know nothing about

just saying...

OK, bring on the hate :)

In the books I am seeing that the characters have been changed to women . Soon the show will be entirely women from what I have seen so far . Won't be watching much more of it .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
In the books I am seeing that the characters have been changed to women .
YES! Thank you for seeing that as well

i didn't read the books, but you can clearly tell that from the previous seasons, s4 is slightly "woke"

all the good hero shit is done by women-- and i think TPTBs are very happy they could have Avarasala say 'fuck' a few times every ep :)

scenarios have been added to give more chances to display strong WOmen

and the girl Felcia.. one episode we see her doing her best "i want to get off of this planet and go to university" in a very Luke Skywalker kind of way
then next episode, she is on a ship and seemingly a brainiac 'magic child' telling all of the dumb and experienced male crew what to do

men are put only in roles of -- killer, asshole, lonely boy looking for companionship or the best one-- "i am ok with being the first 'first spouse' --a hint at what could have been with reality and HRC/ Bill Clinton ?

Holden is the only man not in one of these categories, BUT when he is so close to fulfilling his mission he is THEN put into one of those categories and a WOman finishes his hero task

DESPITE all of this--- it is STILL a good show, one of the best on offer.... but the change is very apparent

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Watched 8 episodes so far and beyond disappointed with season 4 . What a snore fest . I will try and watch the next 2 but I have lost all interest in it . Thanks a lot Amazon for destroying what was the best show out there .

and all that time on the planet interacting with all the alien stuff yet we get no real info on just what it is or what it is for

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
YES! Thank you for seeing that as well

i didn't read the books, but you can clearly tell that form the previous seasons, s4 is slightly "woke"

all the good hero shit is done by women-- and i think TPTBs are very happy they could have Avarasala say 'fuck' a few times every ep :)

scenarios have been added to give more chances to display strong WOmen

and the girl Felcia.. one episode we see her doing her best "i want to get off of this planet and go to university" in a very Luke Skywalker kind of way
then next episode, she is on a ship and seemingly a brainiac 'magic child' telling all of the dumb and experienced male crew what to do

men are put only in roles of -- killer, asshole, lonely boy looking for companionship or the best one-- "i am ok with being the first 'first spouse' --a hint at what could have been with reality and HRC/ Bill Clinton ?

Holden is the only man not in one of these categories, BUT when he is so close to fulfilling his mission he is THEN put into one of those categories and a WOman finishes his hero task

DESPITE all of this--- it is STILL a good show, one of the best on offer.... but the change is very apparent
You my friend are a poet and have spoken my inner thoughts and the truth of how this show has gone down the drain. What a shame it has taken this route . I had a horrible thought this morning . I realized that my experience while watching the expanse was giving me similar bad memories of trying to watch sgpoo. It has that same feel to it now .
Good christ ffs . How horrible is that, my beloved Expanse being now compared to sgpoo in my mind . But that's what it feels like now .

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do need to catch up on this, but as with every year Christmas means a lot of traveling for me and also with all the work on my place things are disrupted just now.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
i don't know if it is that bad..
Yes your right. It is probably a bad example , but when a show makes me get up off the couch and makes me leave the room , then it is verging on sgpoo. Let's see if the next 2 final episodes of season 4 win me back .

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes your right. It is probably a bad example , but when a show makes me get up off the couch and makes me leave the room , then it is verging on sgpoo. Let's see if the next 2 final episodes of season 4 win me back .

you can always watch lost in space s2 after... that is--so far--way worse then expanse s4... way of rebalancing perceptions :)