SGU CANCELLED. Will there ever be a continuation of this series?

Inara

GateFans Noob
I tend to agree here. I think that ALL of the Brad Wright Stargate canon will be dumped when Stargate returns. And I also think the next "new" Stargate is going to be a movie, not a series. Maybe even two movies. But I do think that it will be connected to the original movie, and I think the roles of Jack and Daniel will return using new actors.

Considering MGM outright "owns" the characters of Jack and Daniel (as well as any others in the movie) because of some weird deal back when the movie was made, I think seeing those characters again might be likely. Though by the time it's made, who knows if the actors would be interested or available for even a cameo, so they may go the route of using the names and tweaking things to create slightly different versions, much like they did when Stargate became Stargate SG-1.

I know Dean Devlin wanted to make more movies, but essentially had the rights sold out from under him (that's the weird deal where MGM came into the picture), but he's mentioned it even in recent years. From what Devlin had said, they would not have been direct sequels either, so possibly wouldn't have any of the familiar characters. I'm just not sure that continuing one movie versus continuing in the same vein as three shows totaling 17 seasons worth of episodes created out of bits of the movie with more potential for DVD sales would win in the bean counting decisions. The movie did OK, not great, but the television series probably has more public awareness going for it.

Though I guess they could try to throw everything out and restart with something completely different and call it Stargate because there's a Stargate. That sounds familiar for some reason. Wait, wait, don't tell me. I'll remember.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
I tend to agree here. I think that ALL of the Brad Wright Stargate canon will be dumped when Stargate returns. And I also think the next "new" Stargate is going to be a movie, not a series. Maybe even two movies. But I do think that it will be connected to the original movie, and I think the roles of Jack and Daniel will return using new actors.
I think this is probably correct. It'll be something along the lines of what Kurt Russell wanted to do (another movie), but will be totally re-vamped and the only canon will likely be the first movie. With new showrunners, a new cast, everything.

As wonderful as SG-1 and SGA were, I don't think we'll be getting any more movies there. Certainly no movie for SGU, as the numbers just weren't there. I think MGM probably feels the BW era is played out, so they'll go with new everything.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Devlin has been pretty explicit about wanting to finish telling his Stargate story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Devlin has been pretty explicit about wanting to finish telling his Stargate story.

Yes, he was. As recently as 2009 at the San Diego Con, in fact. He specifically stated he wanted to make it a trilogy. Personally, I dont see two more movies, but one would be great, and could possibly set the trajectory for a new series.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes, he was. As recently as 2009 at the San Diego Con, in fact. He specifically stated he wanted to make it a trilogy. Personally, I dont see two more movies, but one would be great, and could possibly set the trajectory for a new series.

I dunno. I'd be ok with seeing where he would take a trilogy. We won't see a series for at least a few more years, optimistically speaking, so I'd be all for giving the guy a chance to finish his trilogy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think there would be huge interest for a Devlin created Stargate movie or movies. What Stargate fan wouldn't go see it?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think there would be huge interest for a Devlin created Stargate movie or movies. What Stargate fan wouldn't go see it?

Me, I actually wasn't a massive fan of the movie. I'd probably buy it on DVD though.

I liked the comedy of SG1 (RDA!) and thought the idea was much better suited to weekly TV series than a feature film.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Me, I actually wasn't a massive fan of the movie. I'd probably buy it on DVD though.

I liked the comedy of SG1 (RDA!) and thought the idea was much better suited to weekly TV series than a feature film.

So in the long run you'd still see it. ;)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
So in the long run you'd still see it. ;)

Yeh but I see pretty much every movie I'm kind of interested in, in the long term. I wouldn't be super-hyped, putting down money at the cinema to see it.

EDIT: Bare in mind Devlin's other movies have been rather awful too.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

Probably me unless it had DH in it!

Snarking aside, I doubt i would go to the cinema for any new stargate unless the info coming out of the camp creating it intrigues me enough, along with a cast i think i could enjoy.

I only liked and actively watched 1 of the 3 series, I watched the movie on dvd as it came for £3.00 when i bought something else.

S

Stonelesscutter

I hardly ever go to a cinema, but for that I would most certainly go.
If they can capture the spirit of the original movie, which I'm sure they can, then it's gonna be awesome.
I'd also buy the dvd/blu-ray as soon as it's available, whereas I usually wait till I find something I like for a bargain price.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I hardly ever go to a cinema, but for that I would most certainly go.
If they can capture the spirit of the original movie, which I'm sure they can, then it's gonna be awesome.
I'd also buy the dvd/blu-ray as soon as it's available, whereas I usually wait till I find something I like for a bargain price.

I'd go too. I've always wondered what they had planned for the two sequels.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Probably me unless it had DH in it!

Snarking aside, I doubt i would go to the cinema for any new stargate unless the info coming out of the camp creating it intrigues me enough, along with a cast i think i could enjoy.

I only liked and actively watched 1 of the 3 series, I watched the movie on dvd as it came for £3.00 when i bought something else.

Me too....with theater prices and tactics as they are, I no longer rush out to see a movie on premiere night. I prefer to watch the reviews trickle in on that day, then based on the reviews I consider seeing the movie. My nephew calls me when he wants me to take him to see new movies, but after my experience with Transformers 2...that wont be happening again.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My horrible child just coined (for me) a new term for SGU...

"Gilligan's Universe".

So...do I beat her, or not?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My horrible child just coined (for me) a new term for SGU...

"Gilligan's Universe".

So...do I beat her, or not?

Hahahaha! CAN you beat her? :icon_lol: :P