Picard S3

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I always do the pluses and minuses even when I am enthralled by something. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and Pacific Rim and did the same thing.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I think Picard this season is much better than the previous ones. It is made the way it is for a few reasons.

1. Patrick Stewart originally said, he was DONE, like I am getting too old for this $%^& and want to end with this with some class. Done. They were going to give him a proper send off.
2. A love letter to TNG as hubby said, but they got all the actors back ( mostly ) and so jumped on it, since they knew a fan base still existed.
3. Setting up yet another new spin off for ST. They are making money so why not? The new show is called something about "Legacy" so that makes the whole season make sense.

Then something changed. Patrick Stewart enjoyed the old style writing so much he has now said, it might not have to be the full end for him, and Brent Spiner's problems with playing a Android with mountains of paint to make him look young has been sorted and he also no longer counts it out as "never more", Jonathan Frakes has said "this has been a blast ". ....so the door is open for the writers to go where none of us thought they might go before ( or again ).

4. If Legacy is it hit, this would allow the old school gang to pop in and out as from time to time to appease the diehard TNG fans in a way Discovery has failed to do. ( SNW is still a question mark about this as it seems to ride the rails ).
5. Voyager is getting a new spinoff. Nuff said, time will tell on that.
6.. If any of the next spinoffs are a hit, maybe even some other spinoff ( besides the Academy ) that can showcase more of the old school gang of TNG, DS9 ) can happen too.
7. Maybe they can reel in the WOKE nature in SNW since Discover time is coming to an end and they realize that ST fans are more about good writing than social justice in our TV shows. If they don't it is going to ruin the show and go down with the Discovery shop since it does not align to Picard or TNG future.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I mean YEA! wtf are the TPTBs thinking per continuity? and all the BORG tech on VOYAGER!

1701-D in effect is memberberries in action :)

1681963662605.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not sure how much spoilering I should do.

I really enjoyed and liked the finale of Picard S3. It wrapped up the main story in about 70% of the episode length and then used the remainder to give us denouement, tie up other character arcs and set the stage for a (hopeful) StarTrek : Legacy show. Acting was on the mark, pacing good and they even took the time to answer some other outstanding questions.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not sure how much spoilering I should do.

I really enjoyed and liked the finale of Picard S3. It wrapped up the main story in about 70% of the episode length and then used the remainder to give us denouement, tie up other character arcs and set the stage for a (hopeful) StarTrek : Legacy show. Acting was on the mark, pacing good and they even took the time to answer some other outstanding questions.
I would love to see both what's next in order for the time immiedately after PICARD timeline. As well as a show in between ENTERPRISE and Strange New Worlds

a big time to cover- maybe an anthology series that jumps around and covers different and notable events from Canon? Romulan War and other highlights?

Or even just the "next" season of ENTERPRISE that didn't get made- that of course would be the Earth-Romulan war

I guess the biggest question is; What is the Studio and owners of Trek planning/ allowing?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That was a pretty great finale to a pretty great season. I dare say it, of all the seasons, of all the Star Trek shows there ever were, when taken as a whole, this was by far the best ever season of Star Trek. Other Star Trek shows were great, and had some fantastic episodes in them, but they always also had some lesser episodes or stinkers. With this, each individual episode was solid, and they came together as a coherent whole. I am thoroughly impressed by what Terry Matalas has achieved here. He has proven that it is still possible to make a fantastic Star Trek show. Every one of the old characters was sufficiently brought into the spot light, and in a way that made sense. This is true not only for the season, but also for this last episode, aside from perhaps Geordi. While watching this finale, I felt significant emotions, to the point where it almost brought a tear to my eye. I don't recall ever feeling that while watching Star Trek before. Job well done I'd say. And I love the fact that theoretically, they could just continue with this, if they wanted to. But it's set up for Star Trek Legacy obviously, which would appear to have 7 of 9 as the captain, with Geordi's daughter and Jack Crusher along for the ride. I for one can't wait to see more, especially if they let Terry go to town with it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That was a pretty great finale to a pretty great season. I dare say it, of all the seasons, of all the Star Trek shows there ever were, when taken as a whole, this was by far the best ever season of Star Trek. Other Star Trek shows were great, and had some fantastic episodes in them, but they always also had some lesser episodes or stinkers. With this, each individual episode was solid, and they came together as a coherent whole. I am thoroughly impressed by what Terry Matalas has achieved here. He has proven that it is still possible to make a fantastic Star Trek show. Every one of the old characters was sufficiently brought into the spot light, and in a way that made sense. This is true not only for the season, but also for this last episode, aside from perhaps Geordi. While watching this finale, I felt significant emotions, to the point where it almost brought a tear to my eye. I don't recall ever feeling that while watching Star Trek before. Job well done I'd say. And I love the fact that theoretically, they could just continue with this, if they wanted to. But it's set up for Star Trek Legacy obviously, which would appear to have 7 of 9 as the captain, with Geordi's daughter and Jack Crusher along for the ride. I for one can't wait to see more, especially if they let Terry go to town with it.
it was good, but, with that promising ending, are they going to follow up with an actual series with the new ENTERPRISE?

on that, I was expecting to see USS PICARD on the hull when they were flying in - that would have been cool

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but what does @Overmind One think?

not from him, but in the twitter circles he has been know to travel in, I have been reading some very rough comments on PICARD

The Trek Orthodox has not been amused :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You'd have to ask Overmind.

I do agree this was an immense improvement over the previous two seasons. It also was almost standalone in nature - you really do not need the first two seasons to watch this season. As to those criticizing it, if they list actual issues they identified from watching it that is cool. When they just make blanket statements without evidence that is unfair.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
on that, I was expecting to see USS PICARD on the hull when they were flying in - that would have been cool
I just watched the below Youtube video and learned that Sir Patrick Stewart had some stipulations for returning as Picard, and one of those was "no Enterprise". It is therefore kinda neat that they ended the show with the Enterprise. In a way, it's sort of a middle finger that says "flip off, Enterprise is here to stay forever". I do agree with what was said in the video that Patrick Stewart's vision of "no uniform and no Enterprise" was wrong. But I am still grateful, because if they hadn't gone along with those stipulations, there would have been no Picard show, and for the first two seasons that wouldn't really have mattered, but then we would have missed out on this wonderful third season as well.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
but what does @Overmind One think?

not from him, but in the twitter circles he has been know to travel in, I have been reading some very rough comments on PICARD

The Trek Orthodox has not been amused :(
Hey there bro! So, if you have been reading my comments on Twitter, you can expect where I am going to go with it. :). I gave Picard S3E10 a 10/10.
View: https://twitter.com/ShadowMann9/status/1648962067079266306

It still is not Star Trek. It's the best NuTrek there is, but it isn't Star Trek, and I do not want more of it. I want more Star Trek, and perhaps that might mean that I have to hope and pray for The Orville S4- because nobody at Paramount seems to get it. They are using the movie template for these serialized stories, relying on memberberries and trampling original canon in favor of a fake new one. I could rant on and on about it ad nauseum, but I won't just yet!
Matalas_Memberberry_clown.png

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I have to say again, that if the PTB listen to the growing change in people, they want quality more than preaching. If they have a message so be it, but wrap it in quality with good characters, plot and direction.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Of course it's full of memberberries. The entire season is basically a love letter to TNG and the fans. You finally get more of what you love and then you say you don't want it? Sorry, but now you're sounding like someone who won't ever be pleased.

As for Geordi fixing up the Enterprise D in 20 years, why the heck not? Twenty years is a long time, and when you're really passionate about something you can invest a lot of time into it. He is an extremely capable engineer and it makes sense that his hobby would be to spend time fixing technology, and when you consider that there is a lot of emotion and history involved with that starship, it makes sense that would be something he would like to work on and invest a lot of time in. He made it his life's work. He is hundreds of years in the future by the way, and they have drones that can handle a lot of work. And they have replicators than can synthesize stuff out of (seemingly) thin air. Plus this is about three decades into the future since TNG, so technology will likely have advanced considerably as well. Think about the technology we had 30 years ago and the technology we have today. And we're not even a space-faring society with access to all the cultures, resources, and science in the galaxy. The fact that you can get hung up on something like this honestly blows my mind.
I would have blown this thread up if I had been here when you guys were talking about this! I had so many issues with S3, but you guys have all talked it out.

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice GIF!

On the Picard S3 side, it is so totally different from the first two seasons as to basically be its own show. In fact, it might have done even better had it been presented as such. As it stands the contrast between the insulting and monumentally dumb S1 and S2 and the pretty good S3 is pretty stark.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Nice GIF!

On the Picard S3 side, it is so totally different from the first two seasons as to basically be its own show. In fact, it might have done even better had it been presented as such. As it stands the contrast between the insulting and monumentally dumb S1 and S2 and the pretty good S3 is pretty stark.
I gave it a great review in it's own right, but in the context of NuTrek and Picard in particular, it was disappointing IMO. I did not like the overload of memberberries and desperate calls to nostalgia and forced comedy. It was the best NuTrek made, but that is still below the worst genuine Trek to me (1966-2005).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I gave it a great review in it's own right, but in the context of NuTrek and Picard in particular, it was disappointing IMO. I did not like the overload of memberberries and desperate calls to nostalgia and forced comedy. It was the best NuTrek made, but that is still below the worst genuine Trek to me (1966-2005).
That was my thinking in part - it should have been renamed something like TNG Revisited and then do like it already does and act like Picard the show never existed. That would sever all the links and allow it to be judged on its own merits.