Picard S3

Shadow Mann

Staff member
A BLUE CHECK MARK has posted

thou shalt comply and love it!!

i hope he is right, be good to have a better Trek show

View attachment 35742
I hope so too. I have my doubts because the character of Raffi is shown (she is a contemptible trash character from earlier Picard seasons) as well as the corrupted version of Seven they made up in Picard. But I can hope. After all, despite its warts Strange New Worlds was kinda watchable.
Joelist and I have been at Twitter, and the first of the cheerleaders was Robert Meyer Burnett. He saw them in advance of the other more recent ones. They are pumping Terry Matalas and how this is going to be like "Season 8 of The Next Generation" (RMB). Im not buying it for several reasons. The two biggest reasons are Season 1 and Season 2! Utter nonsense story, stretched out over a 10-episode season. Then Season 2 came with the nostalgia using Q and Guinan and a canon-breaking story that ended up just crazy to me. Why should a Season 3 suddenly be great? Here is the trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQ57cDkKS4

Meh, it still looks grimdark like the last two seasons and also like Discovery and Strange New Worlds. A lot of darkness pierced by bright colorful lights. And the dialogue. Ugh. HOWEVER, I am going to give it a watch and see if it is any good, without judging it in advance (too much).

Oh, and by the way, both Joelist and I are blue checkmarks at Twitter. :cool:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, the last couple of episodes have not really advanced the plot but overall this is much better than the prior seasons of Picard.

On the good side, the pacing in general is improved, the ship designs make more sense, there is a reasonably logical story and the TNG characters act recognizably like their TNG selves (which was a BIG problem the first two seasons).

On the less good side, the show is tonally too dark and grim - I don't understand why NuTrek cannot bring itself to embrace the optimistic, hopeful tone that defined Trek. Also, it is LITERALLY too dark. Turn the lights on please.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, the last couple of episodes have not really advanced the plot but overall this is much better than the prior seasons of Picard.

On the good side, the pacing in general is improved, the ship designs make more sense, there is a reasonably logical story and the TNG characters act recognizably like their TNG selves (which was a BIG problem the first two seasons).

On the less good side, the show is tonally too dark and grim - I don't understand why NuTrek cannot bring itself to embrace the optimistic, hopeful tone that defined Trek. Also, it is LITERALLY too dark. Turn the lights on please.
defi turn the lights on!

but how optimistic can a galactic society expect to be after recently lost billions of its citizens in the Dominion War? and the other disasters that PICARD has shown us.

maybe that is the unspoken 'vibe' of this society on whole that TPTB's are trying to portray?

if so, they have gone where too many of them have gone with sci fi--> everything sucks in the future

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's the thing. Much as I disliked DS9 I will credit it for not losing the underlying optimism and aspirationalism and turning into a dystopia nightmare. NuTrek has done so unfortunately.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't have a problem with a "lack of light" in the show. Sure, it's less brightly lit than the original show, but it's still plenty bright to be able to see exactly what's going on. I'm wondering if some part of these complaints could be related to changes in display technologies and differences between how video was mastered back then and now. On average, newer TVs have significantly higher brightness than those from a couple of years back. Things like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ could have some kind of influence here. Out of curiosity, how old are your TVs that you are watching this on?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Mine is new as of 4 months ago.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't have a problem with a "lack of light" in the show. Sure, it's less brightly lit than the original show, but it's still plenty bright to be able to see exactly what's going on. I'm wondering if some part of these complaints could be related to changes in display technologies and differences between how video was mastered back then and now. On average, newer TVs have significantly higher brightness than those from a couple of years back. Things like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ could have some kind of influence here. Out of curiosity, how old are your TVs that you are watching this on?
2 yrs

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That's the thing. Much as I disliked DS9 I will credit it for not losing the underlying optimism and aspirationalism and turning into a dystopia nightmare. NuTrek has done so unfortunately.
i really think we are still stuck with TPTB's trying to recreate the "feel" of BSG. of course no one has been able to, and OF COURSE, even the BSG TPTB's did so by accident mainly

despite all the failures and list of casualties to this style, they persist

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so hey, anyone else wondering why a Changeling would smoke?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I was wondering about that too and figured it was just a way to make the character appear more evil, seeing as, you know, "smoking is bad and smokers are the scum of the earth".

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Then again, maybe the evil scientist that was working on the changelings was a dirty smoker, and when the changeling attacked some part of her existence became part of the changeling.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
What a great episode again. I have to say I was surprised by the reveal of Jack having some Borg in him. I mean, it was such an obvious thing that everyone saw coming, that I didn't think they would actually go down that road and they would surprise us with a twist. Well, surprise! The twist is, there is no twist. But then, the way the Borg had already assimilated Starfleet without anyone even noticing a thing. Man, what a brilliant plot! This man, Terry Matalas, he should be in charge of all new Trek from now on. Who would have thought season 3 of Picard could be THIS GOOD!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was good but not THAT good...

On the good side the reveals were set up properly and the acting was good. Also for some reason it seems they finally turned the lights up a bit.

On the less good side the memberberries are getting a bit much and in one big case stretch credulity - I don't care if Geordi had 20 years there is no way he solo refitted the entire saucer section of the Enterprise D. They should have used a different explanation, such as he got it approved as a historical ship and Starfleet performed the refitting (maybe as a field exercise for Academy students for a few years).

I want to see how they get out of this without an epic scale Deus Ex Machina.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It was good but not THAT good...

On the good side the reveals were set up properly and the acting was good. Also for some reason it seems they finally turned the lights up a bit.

On the less good side the memberberries are getting a bit much and in one big case stretch credulity - I don't care if Geordi had 20 years there is no way he solo refitted the entire saucer section of the Enterprise D. They should have used a different explanation, such as he got it approved as a historical ship and Starfleet performed the refitting (maybe as a field exercise for Academy students for a few years).

I want to see how they get out of this without an epic scale Deus Ex Machina.
Of course it's full of memberberries. The entire season is basically a love letter to TNG and the fans. You finally get more of what you love and then you say you don't want it? Sorry, but now you're sounding like someone who won't ever be pleased.

As for Geordi fixing up the Enterprise D in 20 years, why the heck not? Twenty years is a long time, and when you're really passionate about something you can invest a lot of time into it. He is an extremely capable engineer and it makes sense that his hobby would be to spend time fixing technology, and when you consider that there is a lot of emotion and history involved with that starship, it makes sense that would be something he would like to work on and invest a lot of time in. He made it his life's work. He is hundreds of years in the future by the way, and they have drones that can handle a lot of work. And they have replicators than can synthesize stuff out of (seemingly) thin air. Plus this is about three decades into the future since TNG, so technology will likely have advanced considerably as well. Think about the technology we had 30 years ago and the technology we have today. And we're not even a space-faring society with access to all the cultures, resources, and science in the galaxy. The fact that you can get hung up on something like this honestly blows my mind.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Huh?

I never was calling for memberberries. My issues with past seasons of Picard were Tone, Plot Logic, pacing, dumb continuity issues and that the TNG/VOY characters were not acting like their TNG/VOY selves.

This season of Picard addressed the plot logic problem and the TNG characters being out of character issue. Continuity is improved as well and the pacing is much better. Memberberries are nice as callbacks and even nicer when they make sense in context to the story. I just opined that we are starting to see memberberry overload and that Geordi solo refitting a Galaxy class starship is a stretch of credulity.

Could it have happened as you have stated? Sure. But the rule that "if it isn't mentioned on screen it didn't happen" is in play here. An example of this being handled well occurred only a few minutes earlier in the same episode when the absence of the Enterprise E was mentioned - it had the form of a joke pointed a bit at Worf but told us what we needed to know - why isn't the E here? I just thought a sentence or two on HOW Geordi pulled it off was called for. I did not get hung up on it.

As a side note, Matalas on Twitter all but stated that to him Season Two isn't canon with his explanation of the apparent discrepancy of Seven saying no contact with the Borg for a Century while the prior season was a Borg fest. This has led to online speculation that Q will also reappear, especially as the situation they are in almost seems begging for a massive Deus Ex Machina.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Huh?

I never was calling for memberberries. My issues with past seasons of Picard were Tone, Plot Logic, pacing, dumb continuity issues and that the TNG/VOY characters were not acting like their TNG/VOY selves.

This season of Picard addressed the plot logic problem and the TNG characters being out of character issue. Continuity is improved as well and the pacing is much better. Memberberries are nice as callbacks and even nicer when they make sense in context to the story. I just opined that we are starting to see memberberry overload and that Geordi solo refitting a Galaxy class starship is a stretch of credulity.

Could it have happened as you have stated? Sure. But the rule that "if it isn't mentioned on screen it didn't happen" is in play here. An example of this being handled well occurred only a few minutes earlier in the same episode when the absence of the Enterprise E was mentioned - it had the form of a joke pointed a bit at Worf but told us what we needed to know - why isn't the E here? I just thought a sentence or two on HOW Geordi pulled it off was called for. I did not get hung up on it.

As a side note, Matalas on Twitter all but stated that to him Season Two isn't canon with his explanation of the apparent discrepancy of Seven saying no contact with the Borg for a Century while the prior season was a Borg fest. This has led to online speculation that Q will also reappear, especially as the situation they are in almost seems begging for a massive Deus Ex Machina.
Well I'm sorry if I misinterpreted or went overboard there. It's just that to me it seems like no one is ever positive or enthused about a show around here except for me. It can't all be shit.

Maybe in the end Q will undo the moment he introduced the Enterprise to the Borg.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No worries. I've been positive about this series of Picard and was also positive about Strange New Worlds overall.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No worries. I've been positive about this series of Picard and was also positive about Strange New Worlds overall.
To be honest, your positive comes across more like you're tolerating something. Like it's adequate but just barely. Not like you really like it.