YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Pics of cast of S3 in uniform...

checked IMDB they are all listed as cast members for S3
1658625862343.png

1658625828218.png

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm sure it's just that picture, but Geordie kind of looks like a blacksmith there. Like he's wearing a leather apron.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Okay, I have been watching as Robert Meyer Burnett (RMB as we call him on Twitter) is on full gush mode with Season 3 of Picard because Terry Matalas is the sole showrunner. Evidently, Matalas has reshaped Picard into a "whole new show" which in his opinion is "the best Star Trek ever made". He even said that if he could title it, he would say it was TNG Season 8.

Me? I don't know or care what it is going to look like. Picard Seasons 1 and 2 cannot be simply erased with it. The NuTrek universe itself was fundamentally changed. Picard is now an android, and the other characters from TNG are still missing, even though the actors who played them are playing parts with the original names. Its not going to work to repair the damage. Fans have already left all of the NuTrek shows en masse.

Lastly there is the issue with the so-called extension Alex Kurtzman got to make Star Trek which was announced in 2021. My inside sources claim that there was a performance clause which was attached to that proposed extension, which was heavily dependent on numbers for S2 of Picard, Strange New Worlds, and performance on Paramount+ which was launched with that name after being renamed from CBS All Access in 2021. The numbers were not met, so we are likely looking to the end of any new Kurtzman Trek after April 2023.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm going to admit to being a bit skeptical here. For all we know Matalas may be the biggest Trekkie EVER but Kurtzman is still in charge of everything. And yes unless you erase the first two seasons of Picard you're building on a corrupted foundation. Matalas after all was on the team for Picard S2 which while not actively hostile to the fans (like Season 1 was) was horribly written and not only a total disaster canonically but an insult to common sense thinking.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Yes, exactly. This is a case of a project which was headed by a complete ass, who drove away fans, co-showrunners, producers and writers and even it's financial mentors at ViacomCBS/Paramount, giving up and throwing the IP to the side of the road. Terry Matalas picked it up from the road and cleaned it up. But, its just too late. Kurtzman ruined the core of Star Trek for all of his shows.

The problem is not Star Trek, the problem is the showrunner and creation of NuTrek which is CLEARLY unrelated in any real way to Roddenberry Star Trek 1966-2005. From day one, Kurtzman decided to toss all of what made Star Trek what it was, and replace it with something else. He changed the ships, the technology, the Federation and Starfleet, crew decorum, sound effects, backstories, created the Klingorcs and changed the backstory of Klingons. He did all of this intentionally. So, anything associated with Kurtzman in any way related to Star Trek gets a big fat no from me. Nothing that happens for Season 3 of Picard will repair the damage, and my sense is that the fandom is permanently done with Star Trek under Kurtzman, and possibly the IP itself. The tiny little woke audience it has is not enough to sustain it.

The arrival of The Orville New Horizons has made any chance of Star Trek rising to a similar level just about impossible. NuTrek does not have the writers or the foundations of Star Trek down enough to make it. But Seth McFarlane has successfully brought all of what we know of as Star Trek into the fabric of The Orville.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes one wonder if they are FINALLY starting to realize in these franchises that catering to a tiny segment of the population who don't spend money on franchise related things and in many cases don't even watch the show is not good for profitability - which after all is how the bills get paid.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm intentionally not watching the trailer, so I'll wait and see.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Binars.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The Binars.
heh? :)
1665456556360.png

i didn't see anyone like this.. i saw a pasty faced old white woman,, i didn't see any big head space aliens :)

but hey.. its a new Trek day and anything goes!! at least Worf IS Worf!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Binars were a joke.

Seeing Moriarity is a potentially huge problem. Also Worf as a pacifist sounds problematic too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The Binars were a joke.

Seeing Moriarity is a potentially huge problem. Also Worf as a pacifist sounds problematic too.
do the 'bad guys' look like anyone familiar?

i mean it just seems odd that if they are not from the TNG past, why use old actors who are seemingly out for revenge on Picard/ Enterprise crew?

i cannot remember Moriarty at all from TNG except from the HOLO, was there a 'real' character as well? weird.. they are digging deep-- OR digging for actors still living?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Moriarty was a sentient hologram who appeared in two episodes. At the end of the second he was (together with his wife) adventuring in a special virtual universe the Enterprise crew built for him.

The Binars was a joke by me - they would make ludicrous villains actually.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Moriarty was a sentient hologram who appeared in two episodes. At the end of the second he was (together with his wife) adventuring in a special virtual universe the Enterprise crew built for him.

The Binars was a joke by me - they would make ludicrous villains actually.
Kurtzman and Matalas were forced to scrounge for out-of-work Trek actors to get name cred for this thing. Like they always do. The official stance is that Picard is canceled after S3, but the door is unlocked. Matalas hopes he can get tons of fans onboard with this desperate "TNG Season 8" concept. NO. Matalas has made tons of enemies in the Star Trek original fanbase, blocking them on Twitter.,This has come back to bite him. I think S3 of Picard will be mocked and many YT channels will be enriched by reviewing the episodes.
Im Not Stupid What Do You Take Me For GIF by PENNYWORTH

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A BLUE CHECK MARK has posted

thou shalt comply and love it!!

i hope he is right, be good to have a better Trek show

1675121329102.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I hope so too. I have my doubts because the character of Raffi is shown (she is a contemptible trash character from earlier Picard seasons) as well as the corrupted version of Seven they made up in Picard. But I can hope. After all, despite its warts Strange New Worlds was kinda watchable.