Live action Star Wars series announced

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
then that only means that you are indeed, in your own fantasy :) :)

I know they are supposed to be in the same world as the live action, but viscerally it just isn't to me. It is part of the same story loosely. If you ever watched Star Trek the Animated Series, then you know that in addition to the bridge crew we already know, there was a feline humanoid and a tall alien something like Saru. But we also had Spock, Bones, Sulu and Chekhov and McCoy. That was okay because it was a cartoon. Just like TCW and Rebels is a cartoon and not really real life. If you can't tell the difference between the cartoon world and the real world, then....:saturn:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know they are supposed to be in the same world as the live action, but viscerally it just isn't to me. It is part of the same story loosely. If you ever watched Star Trek the Animated Series, then you know that in addition to the bridge crew we already know, there was a feline humanoid and a tall alien something like Saru. But we also had Spock, Bones, Sulu and Chekhov and McCoy. That was okay because it was a cartoon. Just like TCW and Rebels is a cartoon and not really real life. If you can't tell the difference between the cartoon world and the real world, then....:saturn:

This was great snark. :) But I find it interesting that the same SW arguments are still being made by it's fans. "The showrunners say it's lore/canon, so that's that!". I feel sorry for Star Wars. That attitude means that no matter what they do in Star Wars, because Disney says it is that way, they have to accept it. Star Trek fans just reject the show and FORCE change. It might take years to force that change, but it comes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

yes, i can tell the difference :)

but it is the story that matters not the presentation, for me anyway

I see it like it was in school---

we had one professor who did not give a damn about how you did a paper

pencil, pen, typed, double space single space, mla or apa or any style

1 page or 100--so long as you addressed the assignment and got your point through he could have cared less if it was written in crayon

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes, i can tell the difference :)

but it is the story that matters not the presentation, for me anyway

I see it like it was in school---

we had one professor who did not give a damn about how you did a paper

pencil, pen, typed, double space single space, mla or apa or any style

1 page or 100--so long as you addressed the assignment and got your point through he could have cared less if it was written in crayon

I like this. But it still does not change my perspective of there being live action and animated as separate things. The story can be continued in the narrative, but the transition is not seamless or as believable to me. Back to my comment regarding Star Trek the animated series and the live action show. The ship and bridge and everything we were used to seeing in the live action TOS series was also in the animated series, along with new characters and aliens too. It was Star Trek, but still I would not at any point think that the stories and things I saw in the animated series were actually part of the live action canon. Star Wars fans who take things beyond just the movies are also most likely to blur the lines and see everything as being in the same category. They would probably be okay with an animated series telling the story of how the Republic which was restored at the end of RotJ fell apart, and how Han and Leia split up, and not need a live action movie to explain it. They seem to be okay running around into games and books to get answers.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I like this. But it still does not change my perspective of there being live action and animated as separate things. The story can be continued in the narrative, but the transition is not seamless or as believable to me. Back to my comment regarding Star Trek the animated series and the live action show. The ship and bridge and everything we were used to seeing in the live action TOS series was also in the animated series, along with new characters and aliens too. It was Star Trek, but still I would not at any point think that the stories and things I saw in the animated series were actually part of the live action canon. Star Wars fans who take things beyond just the movies are also most likely to blur the lines and see everything as being in the same category. They would probably be okay with an animated series telling the story of how the Republic which was restored at the end of RotJ fell apart, and how Han and Leia split up, and not need a live action movie to explain it. They seem to be okay running around into games and books to get answers.

like the line goes "you can have your own opinions, but not your own facts"

you can of course, leave out what is canon in any show or movie 'universe', but because you wish it to be so does not make your view "true" except in your mind only

it is those who own the rights to these things who are in control, simple, basic,fact

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
like the line goes "you can have your own opinions, but not your own facts"

you can of course, leave out what is canon in any show or movie 'universe', but because you wish it to be so does not make your view "true" except in your mind only

it is those who own the rights to these things who are in control, simple, basic,fact

Its a basic LEGAL fact. The actual control is in the hands of the consumers, not the owners of the rights to the product. This is true of ALL products. Most major changes to products do not impact the producers of the product in any significant way. But then other changes sometimes creates such a backlash that the very existence of the product is put in danger. I have many examples for this, and even for Star Wars we see it in the Solo movie. What I find amusing is the willingness of so many Star Wars fans to blindly swallow whatever their handlers tell them to (post Prequels era). I am specifically referring to Disney Star Wars, not the OT or the Prequel movies. They are being ordered to swallow Rey, Finn, Poe, all the SJW politics now in the SW movies, space fairy Leia Poppins, hyperspace tracking and hyperspace slice and dice, all sorts of heavy handed stomping on the SW universe...and they are okay with it. :) You are willing to even defend it. This dynamic is identical to Apple fanboys.

Look at the Star Trek fandom. Make heavy handed changes and try and shove nonsense down our throats, and we throw it up and turn our backs on it. They own the rights, so what? Without the fandom, movies bomb, merchandise sits on shelves, and pretty much 100% of the time, changes will be made according to the wishes of the fandom because without them there is no profitable Star Trek. Kurtzman pushes back, but CBS appears to have benched him for Season 3 because of Season 1 and 2 being rejected by Star Trek fans. We saw the addition of hair, the turning up of the lights, and the adding of humor in Season 2 because the fans wanted it. I think Season 3 will be just as bad or worse than Seasons 1 and 2, and CBS will make more changes until they are able to leverage the massive international Star Trek base. That means doing the Star Trek the fans want.

I know Star Wars fans who do not see things the way you do. They love some of the games, and hate others. They can articulate what they like and don't like about the new movies beyond just saying things are canon because the showrunners say so. They are picky about their Star Wars stuff. That is a good trait to have when choosing products of any type.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey are being ordered to swallow Rey, Finn, Poe, all the SJW politics now in the SW movies, space fairy Leia Poppins, hyperspace tracking and hyperspace slice and dice, all sorts of heavy handed stomping on the SW universe...and they are okay with it. :) You are willing to even defend it

first- i said many times, I DO NOT REALLY LIKE ANY OF THE MATERIAL OR STORY IN THE NEW TRILOGY

i am not defending it

but, i do understand what they are trying to get at. pretty much everything (EXCEPT for Leia's space walk) that they have introduced in these films to the movie goer only, was already intro'd in REBELS or in other material. all of which is, yup, canon

this is why my first post in the ep 9 thread was about getting on with it and getting this trilogy done so we can get on with other stories like we saw in ROGUE ONE or in REBELS

its a huge galaxy with billions of people and hundreds of stories that could be told...all without any skywalkers (hopefully)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
first- i said many times, I DO NOT REALLY LIKE ANY OF THE MATERIAL OR STORY IN THE NEW TRILOGY

i am not defending it

but, i do understand what they are trying to get at. pretty much everything (EXCEPT for Leia's space walk) that they have introduced in these films to the movie goer only, was already intro'd in REBELS or in other material. all of which is, yup, canon

this is why my first post in the ep 9 thread was about getting on with it and getting this trilogy done so we can get on with other stories like we saw in ROGUE ONE or in REBELS

its a huge galaxy with billions of people and hundreds of stories that could be told...all without any skywalkers (hopefully)

Yeah, you were defending it. :) But I can totally understand why, and I also agree that Star Wars should get on to other stories. But they need to fix the original story and end it first, and they do not appear to be trying to do that. The plan appears to be to make Rey into a Skywalker, and tell a hacked Episode 2 type backstory for Kylo Ren to make him the new Darth Vader. This is not what Rian Johnson wanted, but it was what JJ wanted from the beginning. And Snoke was set up to stand in for the Emperor, although now it seems that Palpatine/Siddious will be returning for Episode IX along with another character which was killed off in Episode VIII.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, you were defending it.

no i was explaining it. i have clearly stated several times that I have no love for this new trilogy

this is why i have been posting here less and less. greener pasture out yonder where ppl (many of whom used to be here) actually respect opinions and don't try to force people into a 'box' or position they did not originally have just so you can then flip on them and berate them for something you conjured up

like how now, in your mind, i am somehow a fan of these new films when many times I have said the opposite

just because i dont like them, doesn't mean i didn't understand what was going on in them

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no i was explaining it. i have clearly stated several times that I have no love for this new trilogy

this is why i have been posting here less and less. greener pasture out yonder where ppl (many of whom used to be here) actually respect opinions and don't try to force people into a 'box' or position they did not originally have just so you can then flip on them and berate them for something you conjured up

like how now, in your mind, i am somehow a fan of these new films when many times I have said the opposite

just because i don't like them, doesn't mean i didn't understand what was going on in them

I am not trying to pigeonhole you at all. :) I am just saying that one of the more unique aspects of the SW fandom is that they seem to be more willing to accept changes to canon and characters and the way things work in that universe according to what Disney says. If they say Snoke was a reincarnated ghost of Yoda but was put under a spell by the witches of Dagobah, then that's what's what. I don't agree with this mentality. Star Trek's fandom is way different. When they change shit, we complain and we REACT by not watching, not buying and complaining loudly all over the internet until changes are made. Kurtzman has experienced this from Season 1 of Discovery to Season 2. He would not have changed the Klingons and added hair, or tried to add funny moments and get rid of things we don't like. It failed, but those changes were fan driven. I think Episode IX may be the result of fan backlash for TLJ.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This thread was prophetic. Everything came to pass exactly as predicted.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sort of.

Rise of Skywalker was an incoherent mess but it also actually tried to fix Rey and Kylo, pretty much removed all the SJW-ism and identity politics and was in essence a gigantic birdie flip to The Last Jedi.

And The Mandalorian so far has worked pretty well. Of course it also has a showrunner who has a lot of independent authority and who despises Kathleen Kennedy (Jon Favreau). He created something that actually feels like Star Wars, avoids being overly epic and provides good characters.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sort of.

Rise of Skywalker was an incoherent mess but it also actually tried to fix Rey and Kylo, pretty much removed all the SJW-ism and identity politics and was in essence a gigantic birdie flip to The Last Jedi.

And The Mandalorian so far has worked pretty well. Of course it also has a showrunner who has a lot of independent authority and who despises Kathleen Kennedy (Jon Favreau). He created something that actually feels like Star Wars, avoids being overly epic and provides good characters.

I love the Mandalorian! That and Rogue One they did right, and I still like them. I even bought a Baby Yoda Funko POP. :) But the movies...nah.