Live action Star Wars series announced

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not a lot of info provided other than Favreau will be a writer/producer. I'm not his biggest fan and personally I think he's overrated, especially after seeing how horribly he produced The Shannara Chronicles. That said, hopefully this new show will be good. Fingers crossed!

https://www.avclub.com/jon-favreau-will-write-and-produce-a-live-action-star-w-1823611441

This is a natural. :) I always believed that Star Wars would have been a successful TV series. Also, I am not one of those fans who accepts cartoon animated stuff as serious. I did like Clone Wars and Rebels, but they still felt like I was watching cartoons.

This is a natural. :) I always believed that Star Wars would have been a successful TV series. Also, I am not one of those fans who accepts cartoon animated stuff as serious. I did like Clone Wars and Rebels, but they still felt like I was watching cartoons.

I agree. I don't accept that cartoons should be used as a way to fill in the canon and the extended universe. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cartoons being done but they simply do not convey the same gravitas when it comes to honoring canon that live-action movies and shows do. Cartoons are fine as a cute accessory to a live-action story, but they are not, and never should be the prime mover of the story itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree. I don't accept that cartoons should be used as a way to fill in the canon and the extended universe. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cartoons being done but they simply do not convey the same gravitas when it comes to honoring canon that live-action movies and shows do. Cartoons are fine as a cute accessory to a live-action story, but they are not, and never should be the prime mover of the story itself.

This is also true of the books associated with Star Wars. I am not sure why SW fans are so ok with the way they do things in that universe. They show some character on the screen, and fans squee and go on about how the character was a knight on Spasmodia under a General Buttfudge in some SW book. If they don't show me and tell me in the movies, I am NEVER going to know.

This is also true of the books associated with Star Wars. I am not sure why SW fans are so ok with the way they do things in that universe. They show some character on the screen, and fans squee and go on about how the character was a knight on Spasmodia under a General Buttfudge in some SW book. If they don't show me and tell me in the movies, I am NEVER going to know.

Exactly this. It's ridiculous to expect the average movie goer or TV watcher to know anything from a story's EU if it was presented via stuff like cartoons, books or webisodes. All pertinent information needs to be presented within the main story itself.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Its a big galaxy.lots of stories to tell. If you want to know those missing pieces of info, they are there to read-- or just look up on wookiepedia! :) the main stories are told on screen in the movies, and clone wars and rebels (and there wasn't a whole lot of 'cutesy' in rebels, i'd argue that LAST JEDI had way more 'cutesy shit' the rebels did

a couple of REBELS eps--mainly season finales and the finale were pretty serious with the only amount of 'comedy' being that you'd find in either of the the OT films. they were also of a quality that make both LAST JEDI and FORCE AWAKENS look 'cartoonish' with live action
-------------------------------------------------------------
and,, c'mon now!! it is well known that General Buttfudge never served on Spasmodia--geez man!! get it right or you have no right to talk about it!!! :smiley-laughing021:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Same. I always thought that a tv series would have been better way of telling any lore that is as big as star wars. As much I am not a fan of the movies, the games and lore of SW is decent enough to play but their movies is where I loose complete interest.... I feel the same way with Star Trek too. It's better as a TV series.

Same. I always thought that a tv series would have been better way of telling any lore that is as big as star wars. As much I am not a fan of the movies, the games and lore of SW is decent enough to play but their movies is where I loose complete interest.... I feel the same way with Star Trek too. It's better as a TV series.

The problem with turning Star Wars into a TV show is that it's already "soapy" enough within the time constraints of a 2-hour movie format. By giving a SW story more time to play out you run the risk of falling completely into ridiculous soap melodrama. Hopefully the writers on this new show will do their best to keep it action oriented. I doubt they will, but hope springs eternal. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
there is also a new animated in production by dave filoni (rebels), it is so far being referred to as RESISTANCE

like REBELS it is bound to have returning characters from REBELS following up on story line from REBELS as it was done with CLONE WARS storylines (Ashoka, Maul, etc)

Hopefully the writers on this new show will do their best to keep it action oriented

Many eps of REBELS were action oriented, many just as much as R1 was.

The 'skywalker' movies have become far too relationship based

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
there is also a new animated in production by dave filoni (rebels), it is so far being referred to as RESISTANCE

like REBELS it is bound to have returning characters from REBELS following up on story line from REBELS as it was done with CLONE WARS storylines (Ashoka, Maul, etc)

Many eps of REBELS were action oriented, many just as much as R1 was.

The 'skywalker' movies have become far too relationship based

Like TCW and Rebels, they need to keep the Skywalkers and crew out of the new TV series.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The problem with turning Star Wars into a TV show is that it's already "soapy" enough within the time constraints of a 2-hour movie format. By giving a SW story more time to play out you run the risk of falling completely into ridiculous soap melodrama. Hopefully the writers on this new show will do their best to keep it action oriented. I doubt they will, but hope springs eternal. ;)
Well the games weren't soapy though. If they made the stories like that, it would be interesting to watch to see where they take it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
also, R2D2 and 3po

ALL of that crap. I am still in love with The Clone Wars and also Rogue One. They told epic stories without any Skywalkers. Technically R1 had Anakin, but it was very much independent from the whole Skywalker saga.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ALL of that crap. I am still in love with The Clone Wars and also Rogue One. They told epic stories without any Skywalkers. Technically R1 had Anakin, but it was very much independent from the whole Skywalker saga.

it looks like filoni and disney/lucas may gong for a trilogy of animated shows

TCW's, Rebels and this new show-whcih will probably be connected to REBELS and by extension TCW's, have both (all) been telling a similarly themed story

with the additions of Maul and Ashoka, a few mandolorians from TCW's, a couple of CLone troopers and other characters/ plot lines. REBELS was basically a continuation of TCW's in many, not all, ways

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it looks like filoni and disney/lucas may gong for a trilogy of animated shows

TCW's, Rebels and this new show-whcih will probably be connected to REBELS and by extension TCW's, have both (all) been telling a similarly themed story

with the additions of Maul and Ashoka, a few mandolorians from TCW's, a couple of CLone troopers and other characters/ plot lines. REBELS was basically a continuation of TCW's in many, not all, ways
Somehow, TCW was just better done in my opinion than Rebels. I binge watched TCW, but had no desire to do the same for Rebels. I stopped watching when Ashoka returned as a completely different character with her name.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit I'm sick of Star Wars. It's probably down to the general malaise with "new stuff" I posted about earlier.

That said, I look forward to the return of The Expanse. Probably because I am confident that so long as they do stick to the books the result will be good quality. I also look forward to the return of The Orville, because it is at this time The Real Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, she grew up
I am sure Ashoka grew up after she left. But the person who showed up in Rebels with the name Ashoka was completely different in not just appearance (not from age), but everything down to the markings on her Lekku was different.