Live action Star Wars series announced

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You can get 20 Star Wars games on GOG right now for about 40 pounds. Or pick individual games up cheap. I never played any of them myself though so I don't know if they're any good.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am sure Ashoka grew up after she left. But the person who showed up in Rebels with the name Ashoka was completely different in not just appearance (not from age), but everything down to the markings on her Lekku was different.

well, someone took the time to put together the 'different faces of Ahsoka' as there are a lot of ppl knee deep in this very same argument

it is clear (and we have had this conversation before, i remember know) that a Togruta's markings elongate and slightly change as they grow older

main-qimg-8c425d321f77ddec8209366980bf3b7b.webp

but then, a question is; do you have the problem with the way the Togruta's age or do you have an issue with the difference in animation styles of the 2 shows?

as to the animation styles-TCW's had a more angular style of depiction to ppl's faces, hair, bodies ,etc. REBELS had a more softer approach and left behind this angular style for a more realistic look.

Ahsoka isn't the only character to have these slight changes of appearance, Obi Wan had them as well.

Below is his image from TCW's and from ep 1 of REBELS. In ep1 he is shown on a holocron recording that Kanan has. Kanan copied and kept this message as it was the final message that kenobi sent out after order 66. meaning that the age of kenobi in TCW's and the age of his image on the holocron are the same, so, it is only a animation style difference

main-qimg-d94fa3ad6bac3201d93e5a3a1c3a0dcc.webp

either way; age and or style of Ahsoka or just style with Kenobi, what SHOULD BE the most important is the story told.

Same with the medium used by the TPTB's. Animated or live action? doesn't matter- story matters

Um, are we forgetting that this is a completely new SW story? There is no requirement that they use any of the previously known characters. No doubt that they will have some characters that we can relate to but I hope they steer away from the the main ones we've seen more than enough of already. (And if they went with all new characters I would be fine with that.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Um, are we forgetting that this is a completely new SW story? There is no requirement that they use any of the previously known characters. No doubt that they will have some characters that we can relate to but I hope they steer away from the the main ones we've seen more than enough of already. (And if they went with all new characters I would be fine with that.)

hey,preaching to the choir here buddy! :)

a live action show i would HOPE had new characters and would not/should not need to have any known characters in it. To include either of those pesky over exposed droids.

my only issue wit R1 WAS the silly inclusion of r2 and 3po in the one scene...why?

it is likely though that the new animated show will have known characters plus new ones in the same way that REBELS had

Yes, Star Wars is dead but that's only because the writers refuse to move on with the story. They cynically, and cowardly, cling to known characters and known story lines. It's a safe business decision with a calculated level of expected recompense. Even Rogue One leaned heavily on known characters like Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin.

In my estimation the only thing that will resurrect SW is if they give us completely new stories with completely new characters. If they occasionally want to make a nod to the original characters that's fine, but honestly it's stupid to give us this vast universe yet only focus on the same handful of characters again and again and again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well, someone took the time to put together the 'different faces of Ahsoka' as there are a lot of ppl knee deep in this very same argument

it is clear (and we have had this conversation before, i remember know) that a Togruta's markings elongate and slightly change as they grow older

main-qimg-8c425d321f77ddec8209366980bf3b7b.webp

Just no. Sorry! That diagram is cute, but not AT ALL accurate. Let me show you from snips from the actual shows. I personally made this compare photo. I have put arrows where the biggest changes have been made, and no, a growth algorithm run on the young TCW Ashoka's face would not yield the Rebels Ashoka.

ashoks_compare.gif

You can believe whatever you want about why they changed her, and what they changed. I can see right in front of my eyes that they are in no way the same person, despite the age. How hard would it have been to just do an older Ashoka? Because of the changes, I stopped watching Rebels.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ahsoka isn't the only character to have these slight changes of appearance, Obi Wan had them as well.

Below is his image from TCW's and from ep 1 of REBELS. In ep1 he is shown on a holocron recording that Kanan has. Kanan copied and kept this message as it was the final message that kenobi sent out after order 66. meaning that the age of kenobi in TCW's and the age of his image on the holocron are the same, so, it is only a animation style difference

main-qimg-d94fa3ad6bac3201d93e5a3a1c3a0dcc.webp

either way; age and or style of Ahsoka or just style with Kenobi, what SHOULD BE the most important is the story told.

Same with the medium used by the TPTB's. Animated or live action? doesn't matter- story matters

I am 180 degrees away from that belief. The medium (for me) is a hard boundary that can't be just switched at will. All animated media, whether it be the CGI style of TCW and Rebels, or anime, or even photo-realistic stuff like Beowulf is still a "cartoon" to me. It will never be on the same level as live action actors. They work well together, though. That is, mixing CGI characters into real life scenes with live actors, or putting real life actors in CGI scenes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Because of the changes, I stopped watching Rebels.

like i said, it should be about the story and not the images.you are missing out on a great story FAR better then the one being told in EPs 7 and 8

why do you watch star wars redux films (JJ's) when they have changed the TOS characters so much? Obv, it is because you are interested in the story--or how much they have botched it

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just no. Sorry! That diagram is cute, but not AT ALL accurate.

ok, but the changes are canon and therefore, the "facts". it doesn't matter if we approve or not

AND more importantly, I did give you 2 reasons for the changes and how they happened in more then one character. It seems, that combined with your love/hate relationship with animation and your reasons for not liking the changes then it is with the stylistic explanation (not mine, BTW, a forum on someplace wookiepedia?) given.

once i read it ad saw the example they gave, I too see these difference in animation style.

2 stick with the 2 characters i used, the only explanation for Kenobi's different appearance is stylistic while with Ahsoka, it can be either.
------------------------------

your strong visual requirements? yup, another characteristic of the STEM type personality. It is one that often requires strict and unvaried order to things in life and art as they are in math and science

buy hey!! your good! STEM ppl are in demand while social science/humanities ppl are not! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
like i said, it should be about the story and not the images.you are missing out on a great story FAR better then the one being told in EPs 7 and 8

why do you watch star wars redux films (JJ's) when they have changed the TOS characters so much? Obv, it is because you are interested in the story--or how much they have botched it

? I am not clear what you are asking. I did not like The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. Of the new ones, I only like The Force Awakens. Also, why are you comparing the stories of the live action films with the animated series stories? To me, they are not continuous. The animated world (to me) is not the same one as the live action world in Star Wars.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok, but the changes are canon and therefore, the "facts". it doesn't matter if we approve or not

It matters if they lose people as viewers/fans over the changes. You don't believe I am the only one, do you?

AND more importantly, I did give you 2 reasons for the changes and how they happened in more then one character. It seems, that combined with your love/hate relationship with animation and your reasons for not liking the changes then it is with the stylistic explanation (not mine, BTW, a forum on someplace wookiepedia?) given.

My favorite character was completely changed into a different character. That is why I don't like it. I would have stopped watching Star Trek after TOS if they had changed ANY of the original crew for Star Trek TMP. I am not okay with the change in animation style. They should have made it a priority to maintain the look of TCW in Rebels, and they did not. The movements of the characters, the scenery...it was all a bit different. Changing Ashoka that much was unacceptable for me. An older Ashoka would look different, but not like the Rebels Ashoka even remotely.

once i read it ad saw the example they gave, I too see these difference in animation style.

2 stick with the 2 characters i used, the only explanation for Kenobi's different appearance is stylistic while with Ahsoka, it can be either.
------------------------------

Well, Obi Wan still looked like Obi Wan, and we have the live action version as a benchmark. It still looks like Ewan McGregor. Ashoka only has an animated presence.

your strong visual requirements? yup, another characteristic of the STEM type personality. It is one that often requires strict and unvaried order to things in life and art as they are in math and science

buy hey!! your good! STEM ppl are in demand while social science/humanities ppl are not! :)

I think that consistency is important. Don't serve me chicken soup every day the same way, then suddenly serve me a bowl with tofu or garbanzo beans in with the soup. And especially do not swap out the chicken for turkey. I will detect the changes and be unhappy. I am very okay with change, but not for change's sake. :)

Why didn't they use the original animators?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They need to fill in the 30 years of story starting after the events of Return of the Jedi. They will need to explain how the Republic somehow disintegrated after Han and Leia coordinated the destruction of the Death Star and the Jedi defeated the Sith. They need to explain how Han and Leia (and Luke) became so estranged that Ben was raised to be a complete loser. How did Ben meet Snoke, and where did Snoke come from and how did he amass the First Order and it's fleet? And ESPECIALLY explain how a planet killing weapon is built on a fixed moon which is so massive it can be seen using a simple telescope, yet is not destroyed or even known.

If SW fans are not asking these questions and getting answers IN THE FILMS, then wtf? I am sure there are fans out there trying to fill it in with fan fiction already (since Force Awakens). There were EU books that did it before TFA came out, but those are no longer canon. They could have had the Emperor survive the fall in RotJ (hey, Leia can fly in space so why not?), and then made him Snoke. How did Snoke get the title "Supreme Leader"?

So many questions! How do SW fans stand it?

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I just REALLY hope that don't go all depressing like ST Discovery. We don't need anymore shows like that on the air.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They need to fill in the 30 years of story starting after the events of Return of the Jedi. They will need to explain how the Republic somehow disintegrated after Han and Leia coordinated the destruction of the Death Star and the Jedi defeated the Sith. They need to explain how Han and Leia (and Luke) became so estranged that Ben was raised to be a complete loser. How did Ben meet Snoke, and where did Snoke come from and how did he amass the First Order and it's fleet? And ESPECIALLY explain how a planet killing weapon is built on a fixed moon which is so massive it can be seen using a simple telescope, yet is not destroyed or even known.

If SW fans are not asking these questions and getting answers IN THE FILMS, then wtf? I am sure there are fans out there trying to fill it in with fan fiction already (since Force Awakens). There were EU books that did it before TFA came out, but those are no longer canon. They could have had the Emperor survive the fall in RotJ (hey, Leia can fly in space so why not?), and then made him Snoke. How did Snoke get the title "Supreme Leader"?

So many questions! How do SW fans stand it?

again

pretty much all of the answers to your questions is in the book trilogy AFTERMATH

and AFTERMATH was commissioned by the new DISNEY/LUCAS company so there is a good chance that those books just very well may serve as a basis for any new trilogy or even a series

the new animated series may go into this time frame as well

in addition, the 'cut scenes' from the latest BATTLEFRONT game (a YT video compiled from these i put up here somewhere) also speaks to these issues

On Snoke, it is most likely he was just a figure head. The real power behind the first order is the Hux family and their close supporters. This was in AFTERMATH a lot, and BATTLEFRONT a bit.

Snoke is nothing more, really (unless they add to the story later) then a consolidating figure that helped the various post empire Imperial Military remnants to gather behind. Hux Sr was not a popular guy and picking a non military person to lead would have most likely been his idea

In Snoke we get the creep factor of the Emperor as well that seemingly commanded so much respect among the Imperial Military

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
again

pretty much all of the answers to your questions is in the book trilogy AFTERMATH

and AFTERMATH was commissioned by the new DISNEY/LUCAS company so there is a good chance that those books just very well may serve as a basis for any new trilogy or even a series

the new animated series may go into this time frame as well

in addition, the 'cut scenes' from the latest BATTLEFRONT game (a YT video compiled from these i put up here somewhere) also speaks to these issues

On Snoke, it is most likely he was just a figure head. The real power behind the first order is the Hux family and their close supporters. This was in AFTERMATH a lot, and BATTLEFRONT a bit.

Snoke is nothing more, really (unless they add to the story later) then a consolidating figure that helped the various post empire Imperial Military remnants to gather behind. Hux Sr was not a popular guy and picking a non military person to lead would have most likely been his idea

In Snoke we get the creep factor of the Emperor as well that seemingly commanded so much respect among the Imperial Military

The bolded...so, are Aftermath and Battlefront the names of movies I didn't know about? :) No? So why would anyone assume I would be interested enough to shell out $30.00 for the game http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/buy) or buy the Aftermath book trilogy?

This is a problem in Star Wars. Even Nu Star Trek doesn't make such a blatant money grab as that.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but it is the same world/canon though because the owners of that lore says it is

Okay, but the reality is that it isn't. :icon_razz: One is an animated world and the other is not. The Star Trek showrunners say that Discovery is in the prime timeline and it just isn't, no matter what they say. They own the lore too.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, but the reality is that it isn't. :icon_razz: One is an animated world and the other is not. The Star Trek showrunners say that Discovery is in the prime timeline and it just isn't, no matter what they say. They own the lore too.

then that only means that you are indeed, in your own fantasy :) :)

Last edited by a moderator: