General Discussion/Speculation

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The bronzing of Jinks was just too funny. :D

I do hope they give him the opportunity to be more than comic relief though.

True. Three episodes now and Jinks has basically been an extra - really so far they could have just had Leena do the stuff they have had him do.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, Warehouse 13 definitely took a trip off the well traveled path this week. And it worked.

This episode is like a strange blend of comedy and almost horror. The best plot by far was the videogame that Fargo (from Eureka) tried to superpower using an artifact. It gave everyone (Pete, Myka and Claudia) quality screen time and we also got to see (like last year) that Claudia and Fargo have real chemistry together. We also got some background on why Claudia is who she is - in a way the episode was partly aimed at giving Claudia more development.

The B story had Artie and Jinks recovering a picture artifact and getting badly tricked by the FBI agent we knew was a villain. Alas both Artie and Jinks come off as dumb in the story, and again Jinks could easily have been not there and no one would have noticed. It's really strange as thus far he is totally un-utilized this season - even HG Wells got more and better screen time so far and she isn't even supposed to be a regular.

The B story problems aside, it was definitely worthwhile watching as the type of pseudo-serious entertainment Warehouse 13 is.

G

Graybrew1

Well, Warehouse 13 definitely took a trip off the well traveled path this week. And it worked.

This episode is like a strange blend of comedy and almost horror. The best plot by far was the videogame that Fargo (from Eureka) tried to superpower using an artifact. It gave everyone (Pete, Myka and Claudia) quality screen time and we also got to see (like last year) that Claudia and Fargo have real chemistry together. We also got some background on why Claudia is who she is - in a way the episode was partly aimed at giving Claudia more development.

The B story had Artie and Jinks recovering a picture artifact and getting badly tricked by the FBI agent we knew was a villain. Alas both Artie and Jinks come off as dumb in the story, and again Jinks could easily have been not there and no one would have noticed. It's really strange as thus far he is totally un-utilized this season - even HG Wells got more and better screen time so far and she isn't even supposed to be a regular.

The B story problems aside, it was definitely worthwhile watching as the type of pseudo-serious entertainment Warehouse 13 is.

I completely agree.

This was a great episode. I completely enjoyed the A storyline and thought the B was okay enough. I hope they continue with show this good. They can still get rid of the Leena character, she is a waste of air time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi GB! elegant dress on the avatar this time, almost Edwardian in look.

G

Graybrew1

Hi GB! elegant dress on the avatar this time, almost Edwardian in look.

Hey Thanks Joelist.
Summer is all done in my book, see my post in FH. ;)
http://www.gatefans.net/forums/showthread.php/2285-Anything-goes-(explicit)-1?p=82996#post82996

So, the bikinis and summer dresses are turning into gowns and more cooler weather attire.

Do you agree with me about the Leena character?
Fargo was ten times more interesting than her last night too. I wonder if he might permanently come to WH13 now that Eureka is cancelled.
This should be interesting, maybe the Jinx character could go with HG in her spinoff series.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I totally agree that Leena is superfluous.

I also think it would make a lot of sense to bring Neal Grayson (Fargo) over to W13 when Eureka folds up its tent at the end of next year. He fits in well with the cast, and he and Alison Scagliotti (Claudia) have a very natural on screen chemistry together.

I also agree that AAron Ashmore needs to be split off into a different show (with HG would be interesting) as the main show has enough characters that Jinks is simply not going to get real airtime.

G

Graybrew1

I totally agree that Leena is superfluous.

I also think it would make a lot of sense to bring Neal Grayson (Fargo) over to W13 when Eureka folds up its tent at the end of next year. He fits in well with the cast, and he and Alison Scagliotti (Claudia) have a very natural on screen chemistry together.

I also agree that AAron Ashmore needs to be split off into a different show (with HG would be interesting) as the main show has enough characters that Jinks is simply not going to get real airtime.

Wow, you agree with my whole post? I feel special. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It would seem we do.

Overall W13 is a nice show, and this season they are doing well. The only glitch so far is that Jinks really feels like an extra rather than a real character.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Hey, they resolved the Myka/Sam plotline tonight! :joy:

And Jinks got to put a fez on Artie's head. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True enough. Another nice episode.

Once again the Pete-Myka story was front and center big time, and it did some real character work for Myka. Basically the big event in her past that has made her unsure of herself the whole series has been resolved. The dog subplot with Claudia, Artie and Steve was cute but very much in the background (although Claudia using Pavlov's bell was funny). And again Steve was a nonentity - really it could have been Leena there and the plot would be identicial.

SciphonicStranger

LOL, the writers' inability to find interesting stuff for Jinks to do is almost comical. But he did pick out the correct doorknob tonight - was that some sort of metaphor relating to the character? :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think the core of the "jinks problem" is that the show already has four established characters (Pete, Myka, Claudia and Artie) and needed no new ones. One almost gets the feeling that Aaron Ashmore was hired as part of the promotion effort to make viewers think Myka really was gone (they also did a good job of not letting pictures of Myka appear in promos and Joanne Kelly played invisible to boot), and now that the big reveal is done they really don't have a role for him, so to speak.

SciphonicStranger

It was nice to see Kate Mulgrew in tonight's episode, and based upon the last scene I believe we will be seeing her again. ;)

So is this the end of Jinks? We barely even knew ya' brother. :P

G

Graybrew1

Yes, I liked the new hitman actor too, Caprica anybody?

This was a great ep with a couple of twists and turns. I was quite happy with the twist at end.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was a nice episode.

Bye Jinks...it's not like you ever got to actually do anything anyway. His pulling a gun on Mrs. Fredericks was more than he did in all the prior episodes.

And Kate Mulgrew is always a treat. Best of the Star Trek captains and now the head regent of Warehouse 13.

SciphonicStranger

The Shadows episode had two Caprica alumni in it. Hopefully that will not doom the series. ;)

I thought the actor who played Pete's dad was well cast. The actor who played Janeway in the past not so much.

G

Graybrew1

The Shadows episode had two Caprica alumni in it. Hopefully that will not doom the series. ;)

I thought the actor who played Pete's dad was well cast. The actor who played Janeway in the past not so much.

I agree. I also love the casting of Anthony Michael Hall as the bad guy. He was great in The Dead Zone.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was a nice episode. Good backstory fill in for Pete and nice that they finally unveiled the villain for this season. Kate Mulgrew was good as always too. Myka and Claudia worked well together as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I liked this one!

The whole "zombie" motif gave it a good horror movie type of vibe, and the discussions between Pete and Myka about "putting the other one down" were funny. Also, Claudia had a good subplot where - amazingly - Leena had an important part (reminding Claudia about the need to understand exactly how an artifact works). Also, it is apparent Jinks is being set up to be either a bad guy or it is all a ruse and he is a plant working for Ms. Fredericks (probably the second one).

The only part here that did not work was Claudia pining over Jinks (I don't mean romantically). There was no plot development between them to make their being BFFs logical or even expected - it comes out of nowhere. If you're going to make characters close friends so that their parting has impact then you need to show the friendship take root and grow on screen.