General Discussion/Speculation

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You'll like this episode I think. The new character is a human lie detector. Maybe I need to see him more to warm up to him.

But the big thing to me is....MYKA'S BACK! The episode as a whole is really well done. and in fact contains a really neat Mrs. Fredericks moment. And Claudia got real screentime which was used well also.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can't even remember her character's name off the top of my head. That character is just not that interesting. I love Mrs. Frederick, she steals scenes sometimes. I believe if they write the new character correctly they should be able to handle them all, but she has to go. ;)

We're supposed to learn a lot more about Jinks in the second episode. I just hope they don't have his story turn out to be really lame (is he a bad guy? just troubled? blah blah blah). So far I like the dynamics of his character. Chances are he's a single season type of character so I hope they don't botch the story they do with him.

Over all though I like the show. I'm glad they're keeping the cleverness and action moving along. They even handled the whole Myka midlife crisis thing okay so far.

G

Graybrew1

We're supposed to learn a lot more about Jinks in the second episode. I just hope they don't have his story turn out to be really lame (is he a bad guy? just troubled? blah blah blah). So far I like the dynamics of his character. Chances are he's a single season type of character so I hope they don't botch the story they do with him.

Over all though I like the show. I'm glad they're keeping the cleverness and action moving along. They even handled the whole Myka midlife crisis thing okay so far.

At one point I thought they were going to keep HG around, I was not happy about that. I am glad they got rid of her. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At one point I thought they were going to keep HG around, I was not happy about that. I am glad they got rid of her. ;)

I can't stand it when shows keep certain characters around and end up milking them to death. They did that on "Buffy" (and later on "Angel") with the character of Spike. He was the bad guy in season 2 and ended up being brought back repeatedly all the way until the end of the series. They even rehashed Angel's storyline using Spike in his place. It was excruciating.

It wouldn't surprise me if they bring back HG in the future. She's going to be one of those villains that they can never quite kill off. :roll: Right now they're holding her in some sort of prison but you know at some point they're going to have her escape or be rehabilitated. Clearly they're not done with her yet.

G

Graybrew1

I can't stand it when shows keep certain characters around and end up milking them to death. They did that on "Buffy" (and later on "Angel") with the character of Spike. He was the bad guy in season 2 and ended up being brought back repeatedly all the way until the end of the series. They even rehashed Angel's storyline using Spike in his place. It was excruciating.

It wouldn't surprise me if they bring back HG in the future. She's going to be one of those villains that they can never quite kill off. :roll: Right now they're holding her in some sort of prison but you know at some point they're going to have her escape or be rehabilitated. Clearly they're not done with her yet.

They did do that with Spike and then they tried to put him with Buffy, that was dumb. He was better in Angel than the end of Buffy though. I agree, HG's character went over the top, they should just leave her be. I hope you are wrong. They have a new baddie, so let's hope they stick with that.

I can't stand any show that takes their character's over the top. Too Good or Too Bad is boring.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Another great episode last night from W13. It's good Myka's back and as always the episode leaves you with a mystery of what is going on and how they are going to solve it. The characters are still great and well this is just a great show, imo.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Another great episode last night from W13. It's good Myka's back and as always the episode leaves you with a mystery of what is going on and how they are going to solve it. The characters are still great and well this is just a great show, imo.

Yeah, WH13 is a really good show and I'm glad they've managed to keep it going strong. I'm optimistic that this season is going to be slammin' based on last nights episode which was really good.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
And for us simpler folks here, the football finally came back! I really missed that football. :P :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit that this is a show that far exceeded my initial expectations for it.

When I first saw the ads and heard the concept I was not really interested (too much fantasy I thought). Then I saw it and my opinion changed. And it really isn't the premise that changed it but the episodes themselves, the direction and pacing and especially the acting and characterization.

The Pete and Myka characters are both well developed and play off each other beautifully. Their interplay is semi-comical (for example their using rock-scissors-paper to decide which one will do a risky thing) but they still compliment each other well. And interestingly, each one has a sort of special ability (Pete has the uncanny intuition and Myka has a photographic memory).

The Artie character is well crafted as well; filling the role of the crusty father figure to this strange "family". Another well played character is Claudia, who came in as an "enemy" in an early episode but has turned into a valued member of their group. It has also been strongly hinted that she is ultimately to play an even bigger role (as a future replacement for Mrs. Frederic as The Cretaker).

G

Graybrew1

I agree, this show was much better than I expected too. It has good humor to it and lots of nifty gadgets as well. I like the addition of Claudia too. I hope the writing continues to stay strong. The new twist with the human lie detector agent is a good sign indeed.

SciphonicStranger

I've enjoyed Warehouse 13 since day one. It has a good mix of intrigue and humor with some fun historical references too. I even liked the crossover with Eureka. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't think the writing is "brilliant" for W13, but it finds that happy medium of being "good enough" and "being accessable" to the audience, and I'll take that combination in a TV show over many other styles.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I decided to write a review of this week's installment. It is in a separate thread.

SciphonicStranger

Hmmmm. Blond Myka - thumbs up or thumbs down? :)

SciphonicStranger

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pretty funny episode actually.

Interestingly Pete and Myka were actually the B story this time and Artie and Claudia the A story. The switcheroo worked pretty well, showing that all of the "big 4" are capable of carrying episodes.

Poor Jinks :laughing:. Not only does Pete act like an idiot towards him even before he and Myka get "artifact plastered", he then gets bronzed by the two drunken goofs. Episode 3 now where Jinks has been basically a non-entity. Side note; Pete and Myka both drunk was funny.

SciphonicStranger

Pretty funny episode actually.

Interestingly Pete and Myka were actually the B story this time and Artie and Claudia the A story. The switcheroo worked pretty well, showing that all of the "big 4" are capable of carrying episodes.

Poor Jinks :laughing:. Not only does Pete act like an idiot towards him even before he and Myka get "artifact plastered", he then gets bronzed by the two drunken goofs. Episode 3 now where Jinks has been basically a non-entity. Side note; Pete and Myka both drunk was funny.

The bronzing of Jinks was just too funny. :D

I do hope they give him the opportunity to be more than comic relief though.