General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 10 - "Resurgence"

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I liked this episode. The space battles, action & suspense/intrigue were all there & it was even quite interesting plus the cliffhanger made me want to watch the next episode to see what happens. Now they need to do that with every other episode & they are onto a winner................... Oh yeah & they also need to quit the whiney, emo bullshit which was present in this episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

How is Chloe looking by the way now? I only saw her shortly in a sneak peek and it was very dark. ;)
So is she already blue?

View attachment 2345

LOL! Thats a great retouch :) Now, she will have a look that matches the way she must smell by now. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, it was okay. But still not as good as Awakenings IMO

I liked this episode. The space battles, action & suspense/intrigue were all there & it was even quite interesting plus the cliffhanger made me want to watch the next episode to see what happens. Now they need to do that with every other episode & they are onto a winner................... Oh yeah & they also need to quit the whiney, emo bullshit which was present in this episode.

Yeah, I did like the excellent CGI (its one of the good things about the show). I liked the effects with the seeder ship and Telford coming back. But I also was able to predict that two weeks ago, which means that they are not building mystery or suspense. I could say that I "like" the episode, but the emo stuff in it tipped the scales the other way. It took too much away for me to enjoy the episode overall.

As far as it being a cliffhanger, meh. I really wouldnt care if this was SGU's last aired episode. If I thought for a minute that those little drones would destroy our precious derelict ship and its whiney and unlikable characters, it might be worth seeing the outcome. But I already know that Chloe is going to pull River Tam out of her survival kit and do something totally deus ex machina to get everybody out of it intact.

Red Mage

Boney
Ah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would love to see a Men On Film skit done for Stargate Universe by those two. I miss that show. :)

Hello I'm Blaine Edwards.
And I'm Antoine Merriweather.
WELCOME TO MEN ON TELEVISION.
First up we review Stargate Universe on the Syfy network:

View attachment 2355

I forgot all about the episode on Tuesday. I was just going to not bother with the episode at all but I caught a replay last night. I think like Malice, this was an episode that had potential but several scenes ended up dragging the episode down as a whole. The special effects were very good and while I don't really care for ship battles especially in Stargate, it was well done. It actually felt like a scifi show at times. A shocker and it only took them 30 episodes.

The episode as a whole failed because of the soapy scenes with Eli and Wray. Eli is distraught over the loss of Riley and Ginn which is baffling because Eli hardly interacted with either character. First of the case of Riley, they mention that Riley was a huge part of Eli's life on the ship? I can't think of any scene on the show where the two characters interacted. Are there deleted scenes that we just aren't seeing that flesh out these situations? And with Ginn, Eli knew her for all of like 4 days and was intimate with her for maybe 2 days. Yet he's acting like he's one of those clingy girls that gets all weird on you after you have banged them once. It's a tad odd he would be this attached to a girl he's known for such little time.

For every decent legimate scifi moment in this episode there was a boring soapy drama scene with Eli or Chloe that really hurt the overall episode. I would put this episode in the "watchable" group but like all SGU episodes, seeing it once is probably enough.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL! And I totally agree.

View attachment 2355

I forgot all about the episode on Tuesday. I was just going to not bother with the episode at all but I caught a replay last night. I think like Malice, this was an episode that had potential but several scenes ended up dragging the episode down as a whole. The special effects were very good and while I don't really care for ship battles especially in Stargate, it was well done. It actually felt like a scifi show at times. A shocker and it only took them 30 episodes.

The episode as a whole failed because of the soapy scenes with Eli and Wray. Eli is distraught over the loss of Riley and Ginn which is baffling because Eli hardly interacted with either character. First of the case of Riley, they mention that Riley was a huge part of Eli's life on the ship? I can't think of any scene on the show where the two characters interacted. Are there deleted scenes that we just aren't seeing that flesh out these situations? And with Ginn, Eli knew her for all of like 4 days and was intimate with her for maybe 2 days. Yet he's acting like he's one of those clingy girls that gets all weird on you after you have banged them once. It's a tad odd he would be this attached to a girl he's known for such little time.

For every decent legimate scifi moment in this episode there was a boring soapy drama scene with Eli or Chloe that really hurt the overall episode. I would put this episode in the "watchable" group but like all SGU episodes, seeing it once is probably enough.

I bet they would have a VERY special snap for this show! :rotflmao:

I totally agree with your take on this episode. In Awakenings, we also had special effects and nice visuals, and what made that fall into my "okay" category was the absence of any stones, and the absence of anything emo which had nothing to do with the events in the episode. It was "in balance". This episode had even better eye candy, but the emo stuff with Eli and Wray and Chloe messed it all up and threw it out of balance, thus putting it in me "a little better then meh" category. Definitely a one shot pony (like all SGU's episodes). How can TPTB expect people to buy any DVD sets of this show? You cant just pull out an episode and watch it alone. You would have to drag the whole set out of the collection, and watch it from beginning to end *shudder*

I dont like what they are doing with Eli or Chloe and especially TJ. For a whole season, TJ remained stigma free in my mind. But then her visions with Riley, and the clinging to the whole baby thing with Young, and now the obvious budding ship with Varro...why is she such a co-dependent female? TPTB needed to make her stronger. Why isnt James being used more? Who cares now. I hope this was the last episode of the show to be aired and that its canceled. :) I dont even care if there is no resolution to the show at all. But I also know that there are 10 unaired episodes in the can. I say blow em all out at once like they are going to do for Craprica, and call it a day.

:mallozzicry::robertcooper::bradcry::rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Chloe is not River Tam, and she never will be even remotely close.

Actually upon reflection in contrary to previous post, I did actually skip all of the 'drama' scenes mainly because I knew that for some reason SGU has a drama emo bullshit quota it has to fill per episode, and quite frankly I am glad I skipped such scenes. Anyways, anyone find it hilarious that the alien virus inside of Chloe now gives her super human strength, seriously she took out that marine guard with one arm, don't want to piss her off, all 70lbs of her.

The battle itself again upon reflection, when you move past the 'pew pew pew lazors!!' it lacks any real common sense let alone military a military one. First off they didn't bother to coordinate an attack plan with the seed ship, so it wasn't like there was a plan and then they got double crossed because well there was no plan to fuck up. The ships shields again the effectiveness of a chocolate fireguard, and the gun turrets which look like they belong on a 19th iron clad, well done, I'm sure those rivets make them look really space worthy.

As the battle progressed think Volker said something in the area of 'theres too many fighters between us and the command ship' hey dumbass your in a space ship, move forward, you see those wonderful things on the back of ship, they're called engines use them, get closer and use that triple barreled fixed weapons platform which appears to be designed for these kind of slow ass situations or orbital bombardments I forget which. They didn't even attempt to progress forward, instead they sat perfectly still while letting fighter craft run rings around them. Was there a plan? A 5 year plan perhaps?

Even funnier is that the fish people are the same ones who were so weak that even puny Rush could strangle one with his bare hands. But Chloe's new blue alien blood gives her superhuman strength? Could they have found a lamer way to imitate River in this show?

View attachment 2356

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Two Snaps for Atlantis?

View attachment 2355

Oh fuck, I absolutely love those two guys on In Living Color. :smiley_squee:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
[...]First of the case of Riley, they mention that Riley was a huge part of Eli's life on the ship? I can't think of any scene on the show where the two characters interacted. Are there deleted scenes that we just aren't seeing that flesh out these situations?[...]

Perhaps you forgot this touching scene when Eli asked Riley to come to his quarters for his opinion on a manzeer following all the boob jokes by the crew after his slow motion run to save Chloe?

View attachment 2358

Riley was the only one who never laughed at him.

And with Ginn, Eli knew her for all of like 4 days and was intimate with her for maybe 2 days. Yet he's acting like he's one of those clingy girls that gets all weird on you after you have banged them once. It's a tad odd he would be this attached to a girl he's known for such little time. [...]
Look, he's the only former basement dwelling nerdy fat kid on a ship billions of light years from home with barely enough food and water to sustain the crew. Somehow, though, Eli Porkenstein has not benefited from the weight loss that accompanies undernourishment. So, being such a flat-out anomaly on a ship filled with slim people doesn't exactly make him the most eligible bachelor. Along comes the first piece of intergalactic ass in ... however long he's been living in his mom's basement ... who likes him and he gets all of 4 days with her. You'd cry, too. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Thanks so much for the offer, CTX!!! :) Aragon said he's going to try to get it done today, but if he can't, then I'd be very appreciative if you could write up a review for this episode tomorrow.

Thanks again!!! :)

@Metroid
"Hated it!" ---> LOL. :icon_lol:

@SG-Rocks
No, SGA was so good that they'd use both hands. It's a 4-snap show!!! :P :smiley_squee:

Its an 8 chevron snap with a WHOOOOSH! :laughing:

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
SGU S02E10 Resurgence
Recap
The episode starts out with Rush and the B cast scientists (Brody, Park, and Volker) on the bridge, where the B cast keeps screwing up and Rush has to fix everything for them. It turns out that Brody's screw-up isn't a screw-up, but Destiny picking up some sort of energy signature off its course. After a brief chat with Colonel Young, who agrees to check it out despite Volker pointing out how all their alien encounters end badly, Rush ends up having to drag Chloe to the bridge to program a course, since they still haven't figured out how to do it without tons of math.

Later, right before Destiny drops out of FTL near the energy signature, we see Eli listening to what I'm guessing is romantic/emo music when Rush has to come to his room. This is Eli's grief subplot, which should've been done last week, but anyway the ship stops near a debris field. Back down in the old control room, Park explains what's going on with the nifty hologram screen, where Rush points out a ship like the one from The Greater Good, which belonged to the aliens from Awakening. Volker is running a program to figure out what happened, but Rush convinces Young that sending a shuttle to the ship is a good idea.

Meanwhile Scott is telling Chloe everything we just learned before she stars talking about how he better get ready for her to be executed when she becomes even more alien. Scott protests, but then he gets called away by Young, leaving Chloe to wallow in self-pity.
Eli and Wray have a scene where they talk and Eli goes on and on about what's happened to him on the ship, which Wray uses to bring up Riley, which is a touching bit if you remember Riley. Then Wray mentions Ginn and Eli walks out.

Greer, Brody, and Scott head to the shuttle, with Greer wearing the third Ancient spacesuit that was
finally fixed the day before. There's some banter as they fly to the alien ship with practically no damage aside from a convenient hole they can enter through, which leads to the reveal of the bad guy spaceships. As they finally get there, Volker picks up some EM readings, but because they're faint, no one suspects this might be a sign of trouble. Greer and Brody jump out the back of the shuttle and into the ship so they can burn a few minutes walking through dark corridors.

Back on Destiny, TJ brings Varro some food and they talk a bit about Simeon, the dead cultists, and her baby. Right as TJ is about to leave, she spots a bad guy ship flyby really fast and radios the bridge, right before the simulation finishes and reveals to the crew that the bad guys are still hanging around despite blowing up

They get more reports of blurs from Scott and Wray, so Young has Greer and Brody retreat to the shuttle, but not before several dozen bad guys show up and start firing at the Destiny. The trio returns empty handed, but not before blowing up one of the ships right before docking, causing pieces of it to tear apart some of Destiny's outer hull. The FTL drive is offline, but then Telford and the seed ship arrive out of nowhere. The two ships head towards a star that's apparently close to the graveyard, using the star to destroy the pursuing ships and recharging Destiny before docking outside the star.

Telford comes aboard and gives his story about being stranded and the aliens having him use one of their pods to understand them and stay alive. He explains that the Ursini, as they are called, woke up the bad guys and have been at war with them for a while. The Ursini want the Destiny to blow up a ship that controls the little drone ships that attacked Destiny. Young, Rush, and Wray discuss this, with Rush wanting to ditch them once they fix Destiny's FTL, but Young points out the Ursini have a means of getting the crew home.

Right after this is a scene where Rush tries to talk Eli out of his depression, which ends with Rush implying that Eli is close to accomplishing something. We never find out what, as Young shows up. Then there's discussion about what they're going to do next, namely piggy back the seed ship's FTL, and there's the usual proclamations of doom that aren't fulfilled. Eli decides to spend some time with Chloe, but finds her staring out a window when they drop out of FTL near the control ship.

The Ursini take off, leaving Destiny to fend for itself against the drones. Chloe tells Eli she can help, so he tries taking her out of her room, which results in the guard being smashed against a wall. Eli tells Young, who gets Scott and Greer searching for her as the ship starts sparking and what not, while TJ takes care of the wounded and people run around. Chloe makes her way to the control room and does something before zoning out so Scott can find her, while the bridge crew basically just say how screwed they are as the episode ends with the drones shooting up Destiny.

Review
This episode has a bunch of problems, some of which are due to earlier episodes and some are entirely on this episode. For example, the Eli subplot doesn't work because not enough time was spent on developing his relationship with Ginn and because Visitation showed he wasn't affected by her death at all. The bit about Riley doesn't really work because 1)the writers didn't have him show up for most of season 1 past the first 5 episodes and 2)we never really see the Destiny crew being close enough for his speech about how each person is important to feel real. The Chloe subplot continues to drag instead of being concluded in Visitation with Greer shooting her; the only reason she's still alive to provide the deus ex machina solution to the cliffhanger. The TJ/Varro romance, which is far more interesting than Scott/Chloe, shows up again to remind us they have a thing for each other, instead of developing this relationship and making it worth keeping Mike Dupold around.

The problems that are confined to this episode are just as bad. The spacewalk accomplishes nothing aside from some false drama and tension, Telford's return- while telegraphed by the credits- comes out of left field, and everything after that feels rushed. The ending of the episode actually has less tension and energy than the battle in the graveyard, leading me to think that Telford's return was probably the end of the story before a rewrite, explaining why all of a sudden there's a star nearby (unless there was a deleted scene somewhere).

While there are some good bits like the opening with Rush and the B cast, Greer and Brody bantering, Rush and Eli's little chat, and the CGI, this episode really isn't the best cliffhanger. The ending is completely lacking since the music and editing aren't there to amp up the tension. It's really hard to explain how badly they failed, but I made a video comparing what we got in the episode to the same footage after I put 15 minutes of work into it, just cutting various bits and using the Inception horn (I recommend lowering the volume to be on the safe side). Overall, the episode is good, maybe even great by SGU's standards, but no more than average to anyone well versed in scifi television.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6P9IYdxzu8