General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 10 - "Resurgence"

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
As much as I hate the baby drama mama bullshit I have to say I can't blame TJ for turning to Varro what with the way Young has been such a cold fuck to her. Their baby dies but he has zero emotion over it, nice, real nice. He's a keeper. The only reason I can think of for the writers making Young such an emotionless twit when it comes to TJ is that they want to write some boring, looooooong dramatic scene in the future where he gets to cry and express how hurt he is and that he has feelings too and blah blah mutha fucken blah! Varro needs to get with TJ, knock the bottom out of her and put a smile on her face, then shove Young out an airlock and take command of the ship. If that would happen the show might actually be worth watching, yo!
Hell, turning SGU into the Telfrod and Varro show would make it must see TV for me. Have Rush and Greer be the back up badasses while Volker, Brody, and Park are the dependable sidekicks who keep things going on a day to day basis.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
mikeb

$50 bucks says Chloe fixed the FTL drive.

And the shields...and the weapons system...and the freakin' espresso machine in the lounge.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She fixed all the beds too.

And the shields...and the weapons system...and the freakin' espresso machine in the lounge.

She fixed all the vibrating beds, and she found a way to make the charging station recharge all the sex toys on the ship (especially Camile's vibrator collection). She also fixed the disco ball in the ship's club. :D

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
She fixed all the vibrating beds, and she found a way to make the charging station recharge all the sex toys on the ship (especially Camile's vibrator collection). She also fixed the disco ball in the ship's club. :D

You know I just thought, the ship does look like a giant flying penis, I've always wondered how the ancients seeded life in other galaxies. Now I know. Ooooo nasty.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You know I just thought, the ship does look like a giant flying penis, I've always wondered how the ancients seeded life in other galaxies. Know I now. Ooooo nasty.
HA!! it's sexual innuendo day here isn't it? you are too much!

Yusagi

GateFans Noob
I wouldn't go so far as to call it an 'action' episode, though there was a good amount of ship-based firefighting, but I don't think that an episode needs to be an action (or even to have action) episode to be good. The series as a whole needs it, but I personally enjoyed this episode more without most of the action bits. The banter, the lessened emo, the brightened sets, and things resembling a team dynamic made me feel more like I was actually watching a Stargate show even though they used the shuttle instead of a Gate.

As for TJ/Varro, as long as they don't rush it, I think they can work that out alright. It's not going to ever be a ship that I actively follow, because I just don't care about the characters enough, but...if they don't decide "Okay we need these people to get it on already!" McKeller style, they could actually have a decent relationship on their hands.

So TJ is totaly over the loss of her baby then? if shes considering rubbing her junk with someone else already

No, she's only been talking with Varro, I haven't seen anything that indicated she wanted anything more yet, at least not post-baby. Which, knowing this show, could possibly mean she DOES, but. Y'know. I work with what I have.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What, didn't you know that they are setting up their next big romance.....Eli and Rush???

Starman

GateFans Noob
Something I don't get: You just had a shuttle full of dopplegangers come to your ship and in the space of a few days, meet the same fate they met on Eden. This didn't teach Young anything, because he runs up to Telford like they're frat brothers and welcomes him on board.

Yet no one bothers to get suspicious when Telford admits to having been hooked up to an Ursini pod. Come on! When has being hooked up to alien tech ever ended well (without assistance from the Asgard or a stasis pod in Antarctica or just plain old outside help?)

As for the new enemy -- they seem more agile than the Blueberries, but why do they have the upper hand with the Ursini? Just because they're "drones" and killing one doesn't kill a pilot at the same time? Are we dealing with the equivalent of a U.S. Predator several billion light years from Earth?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Something I don't get: You just had a shuttle full of dopplegangers come to your ship and in the space of a few days, meet the same fate they met on Eden. This didn't teach Young anything, because he runs up to Telford like they're frat brothers and welcomes him on board.

Yet no one bothers to get suspicious when Telford admits to having been hooked up to an Ursini pod. Come on! When has being hooked up to alien tech ever ended well (without assistance from the Asgard or a stasis pod in Antarctica or just plain old outside help?)

As for the new enemy -- they seem more agile than the Blueberries, but why do they have the upper hand with the Ursini? Just because they're "drones" and killing one doesn't kill a pilot at the same time? Are we dealing with the equivalent of a U.S. Predator several billion light years from Earth?

Nope, just another recycled SG1 storyline really. :P

Blurb

GateFans Noob

Exactly. You know, the first comment made in our home when the show finished was "Showing again that they really are too stupid to survive." None of us could care any less that this is the mid season finale and we're having to wait until next year to see more. Yawn.

Seriously, what's with pointing it out, directly on screen, on the bridge, how very not well all the Destiny's alien interaction has gone and then turn around and follow the probably again brainwashed dude's advice to be their friend. All I can say is: Stargate Lemmingverse!

I admit that this time they at least got a certain Star Trek vibe going (crew on the bridge, beautiful space battle, laid back commander) and the music was really good. I'm also starting to like Eli again, somewhat, for pointing out that everyone else on the ship is supposed to have some kind of training (he's really starting to channel the fans again ;), like with the certain awkwardness of stoning and intimacy of any kind he's commented on). Not that they're using it much. Still, that can't make me ignore the basic stupidity of their actions, as it would have been mutually beneficent for the Ursini and the Destiny to repair Destiny first, make attack plans later (if they know a way home for our people, they still have pretty nice incentive for us to help them along with these drone things).

On a different note, who the hell is this pod person that wears Young's face these days? I'm kind of weirded out by him being all relaxed suddenly (must be taking "I don't give a shit" medication now) and it felt bizarre that he just quietly sat in the captain's chair instead of yelling for a,b,c and x needing to be working, now! or d,e,f and y to be destroyed, now! Are we supposed to think that we're just seeing him not drunk now? So where was the bottle in the first half of S1?

Yusagi

GateFans Noob
No! Don't point out that Young has been replaced with someone who is made of slightly less fail. If no one notices, maybe they won't bring back the incompetent one who dropped off the only person who knew how to operate the ship on a planet.

Blurb

GateFans Noob
If the density is so self sufficient how come it can't even shoot straight and hit the alien drones ?

Right. Who was it, shooting the drones anyway? Was that Park or did she just report the weapons status? Where were all the tough military types and their weapons experience?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

The ship has a club? OMG! I want in now! I sooooo want to see an episode where they're all dancing on ex with strobes and a disco ball for the entire hour. :mallozzicry:

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Liked the episode, the actiony space battles were good as far as space battles, but I never liked space battles in Stargate. The drama was good because it fit in with the plot, Eli was making mistakes that could cause some problems, so he had to talk it out. It was touching the way he mentioned Riley, and it seemed that his death was much more impactful than Ginn's, but Ginn's was more of a "I finally find someone to connect with and she gets killed" kind of thing

The cliffhangers sucked ass as usual, would have been alright if they werent mid-season cliffhangers and there wasn't such a large break between episodes, but are alright for two-parter cliffhangers

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Liked the episode, the actiony space battles were good as far as space battles, but I never liked space battles in Stargate. The drama was good because it fit in with the plot, Eli was making mistakes that could cause some problems, so he had to talk it out. It was touching the way he mentioned Riley, and it seemed that his death was much more impactful than Ginn's, but Ginn's was more of a "I finally find someone to connect with and she gets killed" kind of thing

The cliffhangers sucked ass as usual, would have been alright if they werent mid-season cliffhangers and there wasn't such a large break between episodes, but are alright for two-parter cliffhangers

They cry about stirring up more interest in their silly show yet they pull these idiotic moves. The "absence makes the heart grow fonder" just doesn't apply to SGU.

tetrion

GateFans Noob

Oh please, this wasn't nowhere near good drama. The first half of the episode was Eli and Wray touchy-feely cry-fest, and Chloe doing a River Tam. The second half was destiny getting attacked again by the hostile aliens, and seeder ship jumping in to save the day plot convenience. Granted the second half wasn't as vomit inducing as the first, but it still wasn't as fantastic as some here made it out to be.

Finally, what got me was the fact that copious sparks kept flying, and hull breaches occurred even when their shields were at decent strength. I guess that the ancients took ship building advice from the federation, where everything is built on explosive materials.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In addition to the excessive EMO and the logic problems, the episode also suffers from the sins of its predcecessors.

When you make the characters on the whole unlikeable and virtually impossible to root for, it undermines episodes where they are put in danger. I had nothing invested in these people and so could really care less if they all died. In fact, were that to happen I have seen nothing in the series to date to refute the idea that the drones in destroying Destiny and killing them all would not be performing a public service.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Actually upon reflection in contrary to previous post, I did actually skip all of the 'drama' scenes mainly because I knew that for some reason SGU has a drama emo bullshit quota it has to fill per episode, and quite frankly I am glad I skipped such scenes. Anyways, anyone find it hilarious that the alien virus inside of Chloe now gives her super human strength, seriously she took out that marine guard with one arm, don't want to piss her off, all 70lbs of her.

The battle itself again upon reflection, when you move past the 'pew pew pew lazors!!' it lacks any real common sense let alone military a military one. First off they didn't bother to coordinate an attack plan with the seed ship, so it wasn't like there was a plan and then they got double crossed because well there was no plan to fuck up. The ships shields again the effectiveness of a chocolate fireguard, and the gun turrets which look like they belong on a 19th iron clad, well done, I'm sure those rivets make them look really space worthy.

As the battle progressed think Volker said something in the area of 'theres too many fighters between us and the command ship' hey dumbass your in a space ship, move forward, you see those wonderful things on the back of ship, they're called engines use them, get closer and use that triple barreled fixed weapons platform which appears to be designed for these kind of slow ass situations or orbital bombardments I forget which. They didn't even attempt to progress forward, instead they sat perfectly still while letting fighter craft run rings around them. Was there a plan? A 5 year plan perhaps?