General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 07 - "The Greater Good"

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I mostly agree with majority view here on this episode except maybe the relationship between Eli and Ginn, it doesn't mean they got to know each other so well in a day (could have been week) and sometimes love works that way and as for Chloe, she was a past for him as he was with Scott obviously and it was no way he would interfere with that. He may still love her or somehting, but that's not the point.

Sure, this death of her seems a bit odd and I commented on another topic that I wonder how the hell did Simeon get there and the stupidity of the writer writing that he is allowed to walk on the ship like that or have a single guard which he can take out, although it wasn't revealed if that was the case.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

This is an EXCELLENT review! I like the way you highlighted yout interpretations, sort of like Atlantis4Life does it. I hope we dont get a season 2.5, but if by some unfortunate twist in the fabric of space-time, we DO get one, I want to do another review. But I have written this before the ratings came out for Malice, so we shall see.

Great review man! I liked watching this episode for the CGI, but the story left me cold as well, and after it was over, the feeling of "MEH" set in very quickly.

Thanks mate. Although even if the episodes of 2.5 are aired, I don't think I will do another review due to the inconvenience, the general apathy towards the show which I have developed & also the fact that I am finding reviews more of a chore than a pleasure nowadays.

park8

GateFans Noob
I finally watched this episode last night, and must vent. What garbage! This episode was gods awful, the trip to the derelict ship was completely pointless, and the gobbledygook of Destiny's "mission" is incomprehensible. Crappy writing and crappy acting all around. I give this episode a big fat F! for FAIL.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Destiny's Mission

You know, all the hype and bullshit about this being a game changer and it's not. There was no exciting reveal, nothing cool about destiny's mission at all. Long time ago the ancients caught a signal that might be from God and the ship is heading for it. That's it. Why the gates on all those planets? Why the seeder ships? Even that doesn't matter much when you stop and consider they ascended, they could just go over and see what it is in an instant now. Besides that the episode was another waste, they didn't even give more explanation, it was just "mystery message over here, we should go there". I was expecting more for some reason, i guess i haven't learned my lesson yet. UGH!

I think we can all agree that the ancient's are a mysterious race . Could it not be possible that the Ancient's themselves are the designers of the universe and if they are then let me put forth this little scenario .

Billions of year's ago the ancient's designed this vast universe because they where all alone . They created the big bang in other words . So when things settled they headed out amongst the stars and galaxy's to see what they had accomplished . Again after millions of years and many generation's later , traveling vast distances they populated a few worlds . They also deisigned and installed Stargates on these planet's so as there off spring in later years could still communicate and mingle amongst themselves and others and to have trade and banter . They where always looking for ways to exspand there knowledge of what they had created .

But , all but one of the ancient's off spring ( from many generations back amongst them ) was not the sharpest tool in the shed . They let him hang with them as they felt sorry for the dumb prick . Coming from an intire line of morons , the blood line never improved though the other ancient's had hoped . All his endeavors usually ended in disaster . For instance the universe being created was part of his family's linage as originaly they where only doing it on a small scale but due to this ancient's incompetence it ended up on a much much larger scale . Oh well . They went with it and put up with him and as he was one of them, they endurd his stupidity . It got to a point though that the ancient's where becoming very annoyed with him . I mean his family line had been with them now for a few million years or more and they just could'nt throw him out like the garbage though many wanted too !

Anyway they finaly settled on Earth and one of the ancient's came up with and idea to get the dumbass off there cases and out of there hair . They realized that someone had left the light's on ( the dumbasses linage of course ) from where they had originated all those millions of years ago and so divised a plan to have the dumbass go and turn them off so they set forth this idea and they asked him to do this task . They told him it was using unnesscary power and needed to be shut down incase they ever decided to return . It had been a very long time since the other ancient's had asked him to do anything important so he jumped at the chance to take on this daunting task .

Being a dumbass he never questioned that if they left the light's on and nobody was home , who would give a fuck . But he was a dumbass and he took on this task with open arms even though it was going to take him millions of years to accomplish . And to keep him really busy they told him to design and build a ship that would carrry him back to the original departure point as all there ships where busy doing other things and could not be spared .
So he began drawing up plans that would eventually become the Destiny . It took him many years to complete the ship but all in all he felt he had done a really good job . It was of his own design and was not like anything the ancient's had ever divised before . It was long and sleak and looked a little like one of the chevron's on the gate system . Everyone else thought it looked like shit compared to the city's that they travelled in .
He also designed into it an algorithm that one could actually use there mind to run the ship and communicate with the onboard systems because as he was building the ship he found out that no one wanted to join him for this voyage but he left all the crew stations intact incase anyone changed there minds .
The power source again was of a completley new design and used the very core of a sun to regenerate , as no one would lone him a few ZPM's as they were needed elswhere and it would have taken to long to make new ones . It had crew quarters and all the amenity's for a long long voyage . The dumbass also realized that the ship could only make a one way trip and he looked for help from the other ancient's in this issue . They suggested that as he travels along ( the route back would be different then the way they came due to constellational drift ) he should install Stargates so that he would have a way to get home or to whatever destination he so desired . Again they could not spare any gates and suggested he build his own . This again would keep him out of there hair for another long time .

So he built the gates from an older design . Sort of a test gate from back in the day and he added a few modifications . Again he was very proud of this new look and feel of a stargate . The entire gate would rotate and not just the chevron's . He always thought this is the way a gate should look like .There was a drawback to his rotating design though and was abandoned century's ago by the other ancient's for this reason = it would only jump 2 gates at a time but figured that if he dropped enough of them off all over the place then he should be able to travel wherever he needed to get to if the need be . Trying to figure out how to plant the Stargates took him no time at all and he quickly built a whole fleet of Gate Seeding ships that would plant the gates along his selected route . They where all launched a few years before the Destiny was completed and ready for flight .

Finally the Destiny was on it's way with sadly just the one crewmember . The dumbass . No one was interested in joining him on his quest . Even his own family thought it was a serious waste of time . Now he had to come up with a way to have the ship complete it's mission as he knew he would not live long enough to complete the task of turning the light's off and saving power incase anyone decided to return to the point of origin . . During this time he had heard of ascention being talked about here and there and wondered if mabey that would be a better way to complete his task . So after years apon years of study he was able to ascend but only partially . As usual the dumbass did not get things right and ended up putting part of himself into the ships systems and very limited controll at that . At this point some of the ancient's were able to ascend correctly and of course felt sorry for him and relayed this info back to his family members that he was stuck in the Destiny's control system though they in no way wanted to assist in helping him because he was a dumbass .

His family feeling guilty for not helping the dumbass got a hold of his gate design plans and built a gate capable of connecting to the ship . Once they where onboard they helped the dumbass to complete his ascention and intern they did the same , leaving Destiny to wonder the universe on it's own as no one after all this time really cared that the light's where on back at the point of origin anyway because now they could be anywhere at anytime they wanted to be .

So there my friends this is the true reason for Destiny's being . To turn a fuckin light off that the dumbass left on millions of years ago . Won't rush and the crew be dissapointed when they get there and there is only a switch on the wall with 2 words written on it ( On / Off ) in ancient of course . In truth the ship's linage has come full circle as it now has an entire group of dumbasses on board ! And yes a little part of the dumbass is still onboard inside the systems on the ship left behind cause he was a dumbass and forgot it .

smiley_argue.gif