General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 07 - "The Greater Good"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Disapointed again:(
I haven't seen the ep yet, but from all reports, this is the "secret mission"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVupRsbx8UM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

oh well, at least dwarf made it funny......

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Uh oh.....I actually liked it. Best episode so far by a huge margin IMO.

Um, I dont know what to say. I actually liked this episode. :redface: There were things I didnt like, but overall it was the most entertaining episode they have aired so far IMO. Why?

What I liked:

1. Absolutely GREAT special effects CGI. Lots of good eye candy with Destiny maneuvering, the derelict ship spinning in space, the "space jump", the exterior close up shots of Destiny's bridge rising up...really good stuff. The shots through the frosted glass of the alien ship whist Destiny was coming up on it, and also when it was rotating...I was actually grinning.
  2. The reason and the way that Young and Rush made their way to the ship actually made sense. WHY the ship was there did not make sense, but when the ship was accidentally fired, it made sense to me for Rush stone Perry in to use the bridge controls to retrieve them, and that is because Rush is batshit crazy.
  3. Amanda Perry is HOT HOT HOT. I couldnt stop looking at her. :)
  4. I was expecting the eyeroll when Ginn and Eli were interrupted by Wray in her quarters, but I was not expecting the rather well done reaction of Eli to Perry in Ginn's body (how could he help it?). And for the very first time ever in this series, it was Eli who addressed the (negative) issue of sex/romance whilst using the stones, because he saw Rush kissing what appeared as Ginn to Eli. Not bad. David Blue was convincing in his acting.
  5. The fight between Rush and Young was very realistic, not staged looking at all. The dialogue and the filming on that alien ship was done pretty well visually. Again, this episode to me had the best eye candy of all the episodes, including Light and Space IMO.
  6. I found myself nodding in approval at seeing Brody and Volkker and Wray and even Scott on the bridge of the well-lit and cool looking bridge...finally in CONTROL of this (sick) puppy.
Okay, that was the good. Now for the not so good...

What I didnt like:

1. The Eli/Ginn hookup is contrived and happened too fast and for no real reason (that I could think of). Seems to me that either Varro or Simeon would be her type.
  2. Simeon can go wherever he wants on the ship. Also, why was he allowed to stay on board? What does he know that Ginn or Varro dont know (where is Varro?). Why was he able to skulk in the corridors unguarded?
  3. Why is Dr Perry the expert on this ship when stoning in Daniel or McKay should have been done last year? YES, she is fine as hell :) But her place in this SGU Universe makes no sense, and will make even less sense if they kill her off for drama (reference to end of episode).
  4. THE BIGGIE: The mission of this ship (see elaboration below).
OH.........MY........GOD. The Mission? :icon_eek::icon_e_confused::icon_mad:. The big reveal...the holy kahuna, and the golden star-crystal. How exactly did Rush put it?

Dr. Rush said:
That.....is....the Mission. We are talking about a mystery rooted in the foundation of reality...a puzzle with pieces scattered across the length and breadth of the universe itself.

View attachment 1916

Okay, they got me only on the eye candy part. The story was still pointless, but the episode was entertaining enough for me to watch it all the way through. Several WTF moments, but somehow I was able to overlook them. Three watchable episodes out of 27? Still not good enough to save it from cancellation.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Disapointed again:(
I haven't seen the ep yet, but from all reports, this is the "secret mission"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVupRsbx8UM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

oh well, at least dwarf made it funny......

LOL - I remember that episode. In what episode do you think Destiny will reach the planet of the nymphomaniacs? :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, now I see what you were talking about.

ya I get that but it was fun and exciting to watch them actually do some science and stuff, and the death of Ryle and Telford being left behind created just enough doubt in my mind that I was almost going to flip a coin on if it was going to work out or not.

I did notice you can go strait from Air part 3 to this episode and not miss a beat aside from the alliance lol.

YES, the eye candy was very very good. And YES, the story was empty, sorta like 5 or six pages torn out of a book which is supposed to be 50 pages. But the eye candy and those ships and whomever that actress is that played Amanda Perry (hot hot HOT) made me watch the whole thing...and actually enjoy it. BUT, the show overall is not like this episode. They should not have bothered with the reveal about the mission. It was so much bullshit pseudo-metaphysical sputum that It almost ruined the whole episode for me. But overall, now I see why you liked it. :)

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
This episode was better than most but it still had some flaws. The fight scene between Rush and Young was good but then the calm dialogue between the two immediately following it was like watching wet cardboard slowly dry. Carlyle knows how to act but that Louis Ferria (sp?) guy is pretty bad. There was zero emoting from him and he just delivered a bunch of monotone lines. *Yawn*

Also, why did both Scott and Wray run onto the secret bridge and start yelling? It was pointless and just awkward writing to throw those two into that scene. Dumb.

The relationship between Eli and Ginn was horribly forced. Bad, bad, bad writing. The scene where Eli has girl talk with Chloe was pathetic. Eli showing extreme concern for Ginn before she stoned to Earth was also too forced to be believed. I mean really, they have 2 scenes together in a previous episode and suddenly we are to take them for an old married couple? Get outta here with that crap!

As for the mission being revealed, well, it was horribly vague and downright trite and cliche in some ways. So Destiny is looking to find the origins of the universe. *Yawn*. They failed to explain why, if Destiny is headed to a particular point in space, they are seeding the path with Stargates. They couldn't need that many bathroom breaks on a trek to see the face of God. I just don't see the Ancients saying "Yeah, let's meander along the way". Just wouldn't happen.

And what's with the crazy, evil LA guy walking around loose? -- Wait! Don't answer that. I just realized I don't care why he's walking around loose. I also don't care if he kills someone off. I simply don't care as this episode wasn't enough to pique my interest. Too little, too late.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is the best question so far!

Okay so I'm laughing reading about this mission thing because if SGU is so "realistic" - how are we supposed to believe that suddenly everyone wants to complete Destiny's mission once they find out what it is? If the show were realistic - they'd all say, screw Destiny's mission, let's find a way home! Seriously.

In a nutshell. Very well put. And not only that, WHY didnt Rush take advantage of the stargate seeder ship when he had control of the ship the whole time? Its not like those aliens were that threatening. And it also means that they can go back for Telford.

And so Destiny is telepathic now? I can just imagine scruffy Rush running through the halls screaming: "It's ALIVE!" Does telepathic Destiny mean the ship wanted to make TJ feel better so made her imagine that whole baby thing? Or are there really still magical Faith aliens? Wait why am I even asking - I don't care!
Yep. The episode was cool to watch, but the feeling of "MEH" sets in minutes after its over. Im not really concerned with what happens with Ginn/Perry, since its predictable (Simeon will probably kill her). I dont even care. But seeing the great CGI eyecandy was cool. :)

Anyways, I haven't watched this episode, and don't plan to, but from what the "not-so-big" reveal seems to be, I keep getting reminded of that device they used to kill the replicators in SG1 - the Dakara superweapon thing, in Reckoning I think it was. Didn't they say that the ancients had used that weapon with a different setting to seed our galaxy with life or some such? So in a way they "created" all life in this galaxy? How exactly is this mysterious big bang signal so different? Obviously it's not exactly the same thing, but the premise is very, very similar to me. Like - the ancients of the ancients, or some other beings from somewhere, started the big bang. So what?
The reveal was totally LAME. They should have steered clear of it. If this was realistic, the crew would IMMEDIATELY want to turn the ship around and take the cue from the Voyager crew and get HOME. They wouldnt want to chase some buillshit space ghost just' cause Dr Grubby says so. :roll:

Tomm

GateFans Noob
Wtf wtf wtf wft

WHAT THE HELL was that !!!!

I just don't belive how much crap they expect us to swallow!!! up until now part of me was hoping that SGU might get better and actually become a decent show.
but after this episode the series completely jumped the shark for me. it is now beyond redemption and beyond repair. I really do hope it gets cancelled ASAP so we won't be forced to endure this shit any longer.

this episode was so wrong on so many levels it's hard to even list them all.

the first 10 minutes is again just about walking through dark corridors on some other space ship with nothing happening.

AGAIN there is no stargate at all in the entire episode but of course there is a communication stone!

they completely forgot the plot line about the blue aliens also having a stone which could have been a good reason limit using the stones but they forgot all about that for no reason!

the stones obviously have no range limitation so the blue aliens should still be able to connect to them!

for me the only acceptable on-screen use of the stones would be for an action episode (sort of like the Matrix films in which they go into the Matrix while their real bodies are on the ship), or a comedy story about accidently switching bodies with some civilian who found a stone in a garage sale or something. or of course if they actually bring useful people on board like Rodney or Carter.

any other use of the stones should be completely forbidden !!

speaking of the stones I almost laughed out loud when Wray mentioned the "stone protocoles" which Ginn was briefed about. is that the protocole that allows her body to be used for sex by the other person? (it was mentioned in one of the Kino webepisodes that they actually sign a paper that says that!)

It was also funny how Rush tried to get it on with Perry in Ginn's body.
so he didn't want her when she was in Wray's body but now that she's in this hot chick suddenly he wants her. yuck.
they don't even ever mention the possibility of accidental pregnancy or any of that on this show. what kind of example is this for children? isn't stargate supposed to be a family show? didn't they cut out the nude scene in the pilot of SG1 because it's a family show? now they put pointless sex scenes every other episode. thank god we didn't see Eli naked. god forbid if we see anyone who isn't a muscular model without his shirt on. that might actually look gritty and realistic.

Eli telling Chloe about his new relationship was vomit inducing.
didn't he tell her he loved her just 7 episodes ago?
if he really loved her he wouldn't be over her so quickly. it takes years for a real love to die out. and he certainly wouldn't be gloating about his new girlfriend in the face of his supposedly true love.
so either Eli is just a liar, or the writers have no idea how real relationships actually work.

Rush volunteering to the to the alien ship.
since when is he an expert in Alien technology?! this ship wasn't Ancient and wasn't of the blue aliens so what can he possibly know about it?! just a few episodes ago when he was asked to talk to the brown aliens he said that he *wasnt'* an expert on aliens. now suddenly he is.

and who's ship was it? We'll probably never find out. just like we didn't find out what happened to Frenklin, or what happened to TJ's baby, or who were the Faith aliens, or what the Blue aliens wanted, or any of the other unsolved mysteries which probably will never be solved because the writers themselves don't know.

now to Destiny's "mission". I really wanted it to be something cool. I couldn't belive they would screw up something so important. but they did.

I expected them to find out that the Destiny is supposed to seed human life in this part of the universe (by acting like a Dakara device while dialing all stargates in the region of space, once it reaches the right coordinates and having enough energy to dial them all simultaniously and activate its life seeding ray.)
it would make sense since we know the seed ships were sent first to put stargates on planets and the Destiny followed them and there are barely any intelligent life anywhere in this part of space so it's ripe for colonization.

we never saw how the ancients did that in the Milky Way/Pegasus/Ori galaxy and it might have been cool to find out and see that process in action.
this might have also given actual motivation for the blue aliens trying to stop Destiny. maybe Destiny's mission would have destroyed the alien civilization by "infecting" their space with life that was alien to them. so they were desperate to try to stop it.
all of this could have been interesting. but instead we find out that the Destiny is just flying to the edge of the universe to find God!
this is Star Trek 5 all over again!

and are we meant to assume that the Destiny is almost there, just in time for when they arrived on board? it was travelling for a million years what makes them think it will reach it any time soon?

and so why did Rush hide the bridge exactly?? what, was he afraid they'd turn the ship around? why would they do that if it would take them a million years to get back to Earth? there would be no point for them to do that so why did Rush assume they'll do that?
this makes no sense at all.

and why is this mission important anymore? surely the ascended ancients already know all the answers since ascention gives them infinite knowledge about the universe and they can travel anywhere they want in the universe. so since humans can also ascend it would be easier to just do that instead of trying to complete some mission with a rusty old ship trying to find god.

this show just can't possibly have an interesting ending anymore. they'll probably meet god/super advanced being(s) which might have been the same ones who have TJ's baby and might send them all back home in the end of the series. Rush will probably choose to stay with the super aliens and "ascend" to be with them.

now to T-Bag's story line. I still don't see what was the point in bringing the LA into this show. they contributed absolutely nothing at all to the story. We didn't get any new permenant cast members so what was the point of all of this except adding filler to some of the episodes?

why is T-Bag walking all over the ship for no reason? and how come every time he does something Greer immediately shows up from a corridor? is he secretly following him around all the time?
and why did they think that putting 1 guard to watch him was a good idea if he could potentially surprise him and take away his weapon and start killing people/ taking hostages? why did they take that risk when it's obvious the guy wasn't even trying to pretend to be nice.

so all this shit was just to build up 1 action episode in which Rush seeks revenge and gets to kill someone.
and they go through all the trouble of establishing Ginn as a good trustworthy character, but not in order to add her to the main cast but just in order to kill her off as a stunt for Eli's character development.

oh and the worst part of this episode was when Scot and Wray showed up at the Bridge yelling. first of all did they just happen to stumle through the corridor leading to the bridge? no one called them there and they were obviously surprised by it. so it's a major WTF moment.
I really wanted to punch Scott in the face when he started interfearing and wanting to pilot the ship himself. WTF.
I don't even know what's more annoying, the way it was written or the way the actor delivered his lines.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hahahaha...Thanks man! Im installing it now

SGUSUCKS Electronics Corporation was quick to comply, and sends you a prototype (Pat. Pending), for your approval.
icon_lol.gif

View attachment 1921

I wonder, is it broken? I see it twitch ever now and then, but the bullshit in this show overloads the bullshit sensor array. Perhaps if we move a few crystals around...where is that hot Sam Carter when you need her? :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A huge eyerolling smiley for a huge WTF moment! The actual MISSION itself...what a bummer.

What a huge smiley! :icon_eek: It seems nearly everyone in this thread who watched the episode agrees, that the mission is lame. So I guess it is true! :D

I am glad for you, that you got some female eye candy. But SGU had from the start a bigger problem with eye candy for women. It is clear from who they casted, that they mainly try to attract male viewers.

Yes, she is hot...hotter than EVERY babe ever to appear on this show. And she was wearing Ginn's leather outfit. The episode was watchable between her and seeing the excellent special effects. Yes, I said EXCELLENT. The story was convoluted and contrived, and other than the big letdow...er...reveal, it was watchable. Rush got his ass kicked by Young again, the alien ship was cool looking, but still...the story was weak and the HUGE letdown was the Mission.

That was an EXACT QUOTE that I put on that message which came from Rush. Word for word. There was more pseudo-metaphysical rambling, but it was fluff. It adds nothing to the weight of the show or Destiny's purpose. In fact, it made it weaker. Its like making a bank heist movie where a safety deposit box is involved, but when they finally get inside the box, there is nothing but a baseball card inside. So, people have died and entire planets have been destroyed so that these idiots can follow some damned signal? Its truly an insult to intelligence. :facepalm:

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Well I for one won't be buying the DVD set to find God. Or looking for season 3.

park8

GateFans Noob
If the mission reveal is to 'find God' I really am going to celebrate even more when this pos is cancelled.

I was raised Catholic. I started reading Asimov as a teenager, and now I'm an atheist. I like science fiction. I don't want God and religion in my science fiction, dammit.

All this talk of superior beings and angels and finding god is making me more hopeful than ever that there is no season three. I just don't see how this storyline fits in with the established canon of Stargate of false gods and ascended beings who started out as humans....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Me too!

If the mission reveal is to 'find God' I really am going to celebrate even more when this pos is cancelled.

I was raised Catholic. I started reading Asimov as a teenager, and now I'm an atheist. I like science fiction. I don't want God and religion in my science fiction, dammit.

ITA! I was raised Catholic until I was 9, and then when my mother died, my dad (who was Episcopalian) had us going to Episcopal churches. I too started realizing that I was meant to be a scientist of sorts, and rejected religion but not the concept of a greater being of some kind (not humanoid, but something BEING which Im a part of). Spirituality with no names for God and no rules written down. So, I wouldnt consider myself an athiest either. :) But I understand your viewpoint.

All this talk of superior beings and angels and finding god is making me more hopeful than ever that there is no season three. I just don't see how this storyline fits in with the established canon of Stargate of false gods and ascended beings who started out as humans....

I agree. I do NOT want religious stuff in my science fiction. I think its the regurgitated SGU version of the religion stuff that showed up in BSG and Caprica in the last 2 seasons of BSG and all of Caprica.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I like science fiction. I don't want God and religion in my science fiction, dammit.

That's about it. Just one more reason to hate this crap pot of a show.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
What I liked:
-The space walk.
-Amanda Perry and her dynamic with Rush.
-Ginn/Eli. Sure, it's pretty damn rushed, but at this point I'll take any positive character development I can get.
-The science gang finding the bridge.
-Rush not being evil and saving Young from drifting out into space.
-The fully manned bridge at the end.

What I didn't like:
-Learning nothing about the alien ship.
-Rush suddenly knowing how to work alien tech tech.
-Everything with Simeon. Why isn't he dead and how did he manage to get free to kill Ginn/Perry?
-Eli screaming at Rush when he gets on the bridge.
-Dropping the Kino breaks it and they can't get the other Kino to return to them.
-The mission.
-Leaving all that stuff on the alien ship.
-Scott and Wray randomly showing up. How did they get up there in the first place?

Overall, it's a good episode not because the concept is all that great, but because shit happens that isn't a dream or hallucination. However, the Simeon thing is really unnecessary and should've been cut out because it's so fucking unbelievable that all this crap is piling on these people. There has to be some optimism or positive development to get us to care about these people and sadly, the relationships between Eli/Ginn and Rush/Perry were pretty much it for those characters.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
oh and the worst part of this episode was when Scot and Wray showed up at the Bridge yelling. first of all did they just happen to stumle through the corridor leading to the bridge? no one called them there and they were obviously surprised by it. so it's a major WTF moment.
I really wanted to punch Scott in the face when he started interfearing and wanting to pilot the ship himself. WTF.
I don't even know what's more annoying, the way it was written or the way the actor delivered his lines.

THANK YOU!

Thought I was the only one who noticed that. His acting is horrible and coupled with the bad writing it just makes the show as bad as a high school production.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Well I don't care if the next show has ascended spacemen with rainbows flying out their ass - I still think it sucks.

View attachment 1925

Sorry you had to see that girls. :redface:

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Destiny does not need to find the planet of the nymphomaniacs - they have at least one nympho on board already

True :icon_lol:

@Tomm - I really enjoyed your post - good points. I agree that the life-seeding mission would have actually been cooler, in that it would raise the potential for conflicts that actually make sense - aka, the Blaliens don't want us screwing up their galaxy. But no, they are just after the God signal too, I suppose :roll: