General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 07 - "The Greater Good"

psyphi

GateFans Noob
You know, all the hype and bullshit about this being a game changer and it's not. There was no exciting reveal, nothing cool about destiny's mission at all. Long time ago the ancients caught a signal that might be from God and the ship is heading for it. That's it. Why the gates on all those planets? Why the seeder ships? Even that doesn't matter much when you stop and consider they ascended, they could just go over and see what it is in an instant now. Besides that the episode was another waste, they didn't even give more explanation, it was just "mystery message over here, we should go there". I was expecting more for some reason, i guess i haven't learned my lesson yet. UGH!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You know, all the hype and bullshit about this being a game changer and it's not. There was no exciting reveal, nothing cool about destiny's mission at all. Long time ago the ancients caught a signal that might be from God and the ship is heading for it. That's it. Why the gates on all those planets? Why the seeder ships? Even that doesn't matter much when you stop and consider they ascended, they could just go over and see what it is in an instant now. Besides that the episode was another waste, they didn't even give more explanation, it was just "mystery message over here, we should go there". I was expecting more for some reason, i guess i haven't learned my lesson yet. UGH!

tsk tsk young padawan you let the evil BW and JMOzz fool you, but young one you have learned and grown (unlike the squeedrones) and will not allow yourself to be sucked in again...this is a reason to rejoice! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Are you really serious?

Are you serious? I havent seen the episode yet becayse its not available at my "source". But youre kidding....right? :redface:

First of all, if anybody received a "signal", then it cant be God since God is the Universe and has no need to send anything or create any device to send any signal. You know, omnipotent, all knowing, all seeing, is was and will be and all that....

Please tell me its not that lame....:facepalm:

webduelist

GateFans Noob
sgu

no its not that simple, in fact you kinda sound ignorant because this episode is in my top 50 all time Stargate episode now. Yes that is right a SGU episode is in my top 50 between all 3 series, and I am not a troll and I hated sgu season 1, so I'm thinking its the fact that you have become so blinded by your own hatred of the show that you don't pay attention to details anymore and your missing things that actually made the episode fantastic. I'm trying to not spoil anything here.
game changer no. However it did get the crew doing something.
change in the series bullshit-o-meter yes.

In fact I want to see the next episode so bad right now that I cant even stand to wait a week. however the previews pissed me off. Why do they keep doing this.

*spoiler*

killing off characters I like. kill Cloe or someone I don't care about and stop killing people that are actually cool

psyphi

GateFans Noob
no its not that simple, in fact you kinda sound ignorant because this episode is in my top 50 all time Stargate episode now. Yes that is right a SGU episode is in my top 50 between all 3 series, and I am not a troll and I hated sgu season 1, so I'm thinking its the fact that you have become so blinded by your own hatred of the show that you don't pay attention to details anymore and your missing things that actually made the episode fantastic. I'm trying to not spoil anything here.

You're not your.
ex: YOUR post sucks, YOU'RE dumb.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I already know not to listen to your thoughts on the episode.

First, WELCOME!

:welcomewagon:

Now, for the nitty gritty. I dont have a bullshit meter on my control panel, but I do have this :):

giveafuckmeter.gif

See, the reason why I dont buy what you are saying is because EVERY episode of Stargate Universe has this SGU crew in it and is taking place on this ship in the SGU universe, so it can never rank anywhere on my favorite Stargate episodes list because its not Stargate. To me, saying that ANY episode ranks "up there" with ANY episode of SG-1 or SGA is like saying Star Trek Best of Both Worlds is my favorite SG-1 episode. Or that Star Wars Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Trek movie. Or that the Porsche 911 is my favorite BMW. Just LOL!

Im waiting to download this episode, and I will be back on this thread with my thoughts after watching it.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
tbh, most of it went over my head, but Overmind One's reaction is a little off-base. Ill have to watch it again to fully grasp it (I actually only watched that part)
But they are searching for something that could have started the Big Bang (Or existed at the same time). Dosn't make it 'God' in the all-powerful deity definition but is the creator of the universe God

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My reaction is "off base"? How?

tbh, most of it went over my head, but Overmind One's reaction is a little off-base. Ill have to watch it again to fully grasp it (I actually only watched that part)
But they are searching for something that could have started the Big Bang (Or existed at the same time). Dosn't make it 'God' in the all-powerful deity definition but is the creator of the universe God

How is my reaction "off base"? Please elaborate. I certainly can.

webduelist

GateFans Noob
sgu

could just be my love of space ships too, I want to build a real 304, or a 302 and just have it sitting in my garage and be like whats up. but I'm all jumpy right now its just one of those episodes that made me laugh and actually smile. this is a first for a sgu episode.

ps. I've been lurked for quite a while, for some reason never created a accont. I still miss Atlantis I would love to have a house that looked like Atlantis

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, Im somewhat interested now...

could just be my love of space ships too, I want to build a real 304, or a 302 and just have it sitting in my garage and be like whats up. but I'm all jumpy right now its just one of those episodes that made me laugh and actually smile. this is a first for a sgu episode.

ps. I've been lurked for quite a while, for some reason never created a accont. I still miss Atlantis I would love to have a house that looked like Atlantis

I see that the episode is available and Im downloading it. But what about the STORY? If it doesnt make sense to me, then seeing ships for no reason, doing stuff in space that make no sense...it just doesnt "grab" me. Where is the fricken SCIENCE in this fiction? But you say there is a cool ship in it and that you loved it enough to put it on your favorites list, so Im gonna watch it. Im just a little irritated that people are saying it involves a "signal from God". Please. :roll:

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
How is my reaction "off base"? Please elaborate. I certainly can.
You went on the "God is the universe" tangent. It wasn't stated that it was from God, just from the time of the Big Bang. Pretty much they dont know what the singal came from, all they know is it wasn't natural, so someone must have consciously made it. So its not necessarily from the ever was and ever will be God you referenced
Actually, the episode will explain it fully, so Ill wait until I see it again to comment again lol

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I meant that they have tried to define it and they should have not gone anywhere near that subject.

You went on the "God is the universe" tangent. It wasn't stated that it was from God, just from the time of the Big Bang. Pretty much they dont know what the singal came from, all they know is it wasn't natural, so someone must have consciously made it. So its not necessarily from the ever was and ever will be God you referenced

What I mean is that if some artificial signal came from a singular source of all things (Big Bang/God/Universe/Center of all things), then it cant be that important. The universe was not created by a machine (what built the machine?). Its too deep and the writers cant handle that. Religion cant handle it and neither can science. I still havent seen the episode yet, but when I do I can be better equipped to discuss it. Sorry if Im edgy, I just dont know what to expect yet! :) I have 28 minutes to wait.

I know how the other poster felt, but did YOU like the episode?

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
What I mean is that if some artificial signal came from a singular source of all things (Big Bang/God/Universe/Center of all things), then it cant be that important. The universe was not created by a machine (what built the machine?). Its too deep and the writers cant handle that. Religion cant handle it and neither can science. I still havent seen the episode yet, but when I do I can be better equipped to discuss it. Sorry if Im edgy, I just dont know what to expect yet! :) I have 28 minutes to wait.

I know how the other poster felt, but did YOU like the episode?
I didnt watch all of it, rematching it now, my guess is I will find it average. No Earth scenes, but no other planet scenes. Generally the 'Destiny" related banter is average to me

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, well I should make some tea.

I didnt watch all of it, rematching it now, my guess is I will find it average. No Earth scenes, but no other planet scenes. Generally the 'Destiny" related banter is average to me

I think I will make some tea, so I will be relaxed when I watch it. But if you couldnt watch it all the way through, it cant be great! :) I know you are somewhat of an SGU fan, and it didnt "grab" you either, did it?

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
I think I will make some tea, so I will be relaxed when I watch it. But if you couldnt watch it all the way through, it cant be great! :) I know you are somewhat of an SGU fan, and it didnt "grab" you either, did it?
I chose not to watch this episode out of spite, Cloverdale, Pathogen, and Trial and Error sucked, but after I read somewhere that Destiny's mission would be revealed, I figured I'd tune in for that. This is one of the few episodes that isnt filler, so I wanted to catch it

psyphi

GateFans Noob
Actually, the episode will explain it fully, so Ill wait until I see it again to comment again lol

Actually it wasn't really explained. they made out like it would be, but there was no "if you complete this mission you get to go home" it's just "thing over there, lets go" so far.

mai

GateFans Noob
This episode looks a little better then the last so far i seen they found a spaceship and rush is going on adventures!

webduelist

GateFans Noob
Actually it wasn't really explained. they made out like it would be, but there was no "if you complete this mission you get to go home" it's just "thing over there, lets go" so far.

ya I get that but it was fun and exciting to watch them actually do some science and stuff, and the death of Ryle and Telford being left behind created just enough doubt in my mind that I was almost going to flip a coin on if it was going to work out or not.

I did notice you can go strait from Air part 3 to this episode and not miss a beat aside from the alliance lol.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
ya I get that but it was fun and exciting to watch them actually do some science and stuff, and the death of Ryle and Telford being left behind created just enough doubt in my mind that I was almost going to flip a coin on if it was going to work out or not.

I did notice you can go strait from Air part 3 to this episode and not miss a beat aside from the alliance lol.
Ive always thought the first three episodes and the last three episodes are all thats really necessary, story wise, for season 2. The rest is just filler

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
So...REALISTICALLY - would they rather a) go home, or b) chase the phantom message?

Okay so I'm laughing reading about this mission thing because if SGU is so "realistic" - how are we supposed to believe that suddenly everyone wants to complete Destiny's mission once they find out what it is? If the show were realistic - they'd all say, screw Destiny's mission, let's find a way home! Seriously.

And so Destiny is telepathic now? I can just imagine scruffy Rush running through the halls screaming: "It's ALIVE!" Does telepathic Destiny mean the ship wanted to make TJ feel better so made her imagine that whole baby thing? Or are there really still magical Faith aliens? Wait why am I even asking - I don't care!

Anyways, I haven't watched this episode, and don't plan to, but from what the "not-so-big" reveal seems to be, I keep getting reminded of that device they used to kill the replicators in SG1 - the Dakara superweapon thing, in Reckoning I think it was. Didn't they say that the ancients had used that weapon with a different setting to seed our galaxy with life or some such? So in a way they "created" all life in this galaxy? How exactly is this mysterious big bang signal so different? Obviously it's not exactly the same thing, but the premise is very, very similar to me. Like - the ancients of the ancients, or some other beings from somewhere, started the big bang. So what?