General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 04 - "Pathogen"

SFTech

GateFans Noob
VIM (vomit in mouth)

I really give you "full watchers" a lot of credit. I try to watch SGU but it's way past shitty, it's boring and stupid. I fast forwarded through the last 4 episodes and it makes me want to VIM. This 4th episode was the breaking point for me--I can't take any more Soap opera in a broken tin can.

It's just time for me to move on, TPTB ruined the SG franchise, their ratings are horrible--but they obviously don't care. Mazzola (spelled this way on purpose) can go munch on his pig brain spread and think of himself above the common people but he's just a typical LA fk.

I will read this forum for hints of a good episode but just can't watch any more. My drycleaner is complaining about all of the vomit stains.

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Both were concept models. But the angles were right and the colors were matched so they were easy to blend. I wanted this newbie to see them side by side and then tell me that Destiny is the cooler ship. I should have shrunk Destiny to match the (approximate) scale, but I really dont know what the scale is. People have asked on J Mozz's blog and he cant answer them. But now that we have "approximate" dimentions of the bridge and how large it is compared to the rest of the ship, it shouldnt be too hard to extrapolate the dimensions based on the exterior shots.

lol actually that is the Rainmaker s1 mesh the only one with a stardrive on the bottom i might add
so it is concept to some extent but it has been used thruout all sga's seasons.

also funny how you mention scale as that is one dusy of a subject when it comes to stargate
so what i can tell you is that there ISNT a set scale for any of the ships we see in any stargate show and has been a common trend in stargate since the early days of SG1, the artist change this as they need to get whatever feeling they want in the short CG sequences that they throw in here and there sometimes it works sometimes its just stupid.

but me myself i place destiny at a kilometer in length give or take and atlantis is no larger then 3.5km in diameter but both ships have been seen in a many dif scales.

the main reason for this is BC of what i just said and that in a virtual enviroment such as a 3D programme Scale has very little meaning.

but personally i wouldve like TPTB to take a page out of the George lucas/roddenberry book and be a bit more "anal" about triva as ship scale etc and it has bugged many for a long time that it isnt "anal"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its easy with math. Just time consuming.

lol actually that is the Rainmaker s1 mesh the only one with a stardrive on the bottom i might add
so it is concept to some extent but it has been used thruout all sga's seasons.

also funny how you mention scale as that is one dusy of a subject when it comes to stargate
so what i can tell you is that there ISNT a set scale for any of the ships we see in any stargate show and has been a common trend in stargate since the early days of SG1, the artist change this as they need to get whatever feeling they want in the short CG sequences that they throw in here and there sometimes it works sometimes its just stupid.

Perhaps, but it IS possible to extrapolate all of Destiny's vital dimensions by just using the exterior shots, the overhead shot of the section of the top of the pyramid which contains the bridge (and rises from the pyramid). We can get Carlyle's height, and then figure the proportion of the window he was looking out of in relation to his height. Its then only a matter of scaling the windows in dimensions, then the width of the pyramid section, and the rest can easily be measured since the overall shape of the ship is symmetrical. It would take some time, but it could easily be done.

but me myself i place destiny at a kilometer in length give or take and atlantis is no larger then 3.5km in diameter but both ships have been seen in a many dif scales.

the main reason for this is BC of what i just said and that in a virtual enviroment such as a 3D programme Scale has very little meaning.

but personally i wouldve like TPTB to take a page out of the George lucas/roddenberry book and be a bit more "anal" about triva as ship scale etc and it has bugged many for a long time that it isnt "anal"

You know what Id like to see? An interior made by fans of the Destiny, showing the entire interior of this ship. We could show the shopping mall, the barber shops and restaurants, the ballroom, an interior garden with a waterpark in the middle, a bordello, a REAL bar (with stripper dancing poles), the interior stadium and boxing ring and gymnasium.

:rotflmao:

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
So, you got that they are ripping off yet another show, Angel, when Fred turned into Illiriya (hey look, she's even blue as well)

I guess that TPTB forgot that people besides them have watched/read sci-fi before Stargate existed ehh??
:D :D

This blatant rip off of a character on "Angel" along with other obvious cribbed ideas from other shows shocks me more than anything else that is wrong with SGU. I honestly can't understand how TPTB can be so arrogant and cynical to just assume that us viewers will be too stupid to notice the lack of originality with this turd. Seriously, it blows my mind that there are writers on SGU who are actually getting paid to cut and paste stolen premises and characters and situations from other shows, and then do so without any attempt to cover up the offense. The implication being that we, the viewers, are too stupid to notice. Well, I think we've proven them wrong. ;)

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Nice pic, and I'm guessing that they are both the same size in the pic for comparison. I don't know if they ever came out with specifications on how big Atlantis is or how big Destiny is, but since Desiny is an old ship and Atlantis is a much newer city that is also a ship, I'd guess that Atlantis is bigger.

Oh, and let's get a glimpse of them close up for comparison. The destiny doesn't even come close!

The breathtaking views of the Atlantis city on the ocean:

Atlantis_At_Dawn.jpg

Atlantis_At_Nightsmall.jpg

AtlantisatNight.jpg

Versus (
shep_yuck.gif
):

destinysucks3.jpg
( it's the penis ship)

Destinysucks2.jpg

Destinysucks.jpg

I know which one I choose!!! ;)

I swear I'm not trying to be negative about every single aspect of SGU but I have to say the design of Destiny is just lame. You're right, it's a penis ship. They could have designed something really cool and instead we get a boring phallic symbol, yawn.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Awe inspiring.

Nice pic, and I'm guessing that they are both the same size in the pic for comparison. I don't know if they ever came out with specifications on how big Atlantis is or how big Destiny is, but since Desiny is an old ship and Atlantis is a much newer city that is also a ship, I'd guess that Atlantis is bigger.

Oh, and let's get a glimpse of them close up for comparison. The destiny doesn't even come close!

The breathtaking views of the Atlantis city on the ocean:

Atlantis_At_Dawn.jpg

Atlantis_At_Nightsmall.jpg

AtlantisatNight.jpg

Versus (
shep_yuck.gif
):

destinysucks3.jpg
( it's the penis ship)

Destinysucks2.jpg

Destinysucks.jpg

I know which one I choose!!! ;)

I can just feel the serenity of Atlantis on the water. I can imagine myself on a balcony in one of those towers looking out at the city lit at twilight.

The front end of Destiny looks like the toe of a tennis shoe, and the rear looks like a less cool Millenium Falcon ripoff. In fact, this ship looks as though it were designed to LAND somewhere, with those wings. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I posted this in the ratings thread already. But I want to post it here too!

I made this short (but funny) little video in commemoration of the first sub-million episode in Stargate Franchise History! I cant wait to see Robbie's review on this vomitus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oi5dVJiuzw

:mallozzicry:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Try the first link

I went to the home page of the Super Relativity web site and saw a link to the following page on the site:

http://www.superrelativity.org/html/WarpDrive_SR.html

The summary of this article stated:

Dude, the author of this web site makes Brad Wright and Joe Mallozzi look normal.

The highest continuous magnetic field ever constructed was 45 Teslas. A field strength of >100 Teslas can currently only be made by destroying the equipment used to make the field. None of the strong magnetic fields constructed (2.8 kT with explosives) has ever made an object behave like a photon.

Why would the field force the ship forward and not backwards or sideways?

Heck, the entire web site consists of this madman's verbal description of the results of Super Relativity without any cogent mathematical explanation of what Super Relativity is.

Complete: :facepalm:

I just chose random links. Here are better ones:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module6_constant.htm
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/22mar_telomeres/
http://www.physics.semantrium.com/relativity.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991005114024.htm

This is a GOOD thing. The blind religion of Einsteinian physics has stifled progress in quantum mechanics. The yearly "discovery" of more and more "exotic particles" which are actually created by mathematics in an effort to explain variances in the equations. It means that all of the militations that Einstein places on traveling at extreme velocities are no longer in place. It also means that time travel is NOT possible, even theoretically.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Maybe she's not even Chloe...and Rush isn't even Rush...

-chloe isnt human anymore, it isnt just an infection

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't Chloe at all. Maybe she is some weird clone the blue aliens created, and the real Chloe is still stuck on the fishy ship, or better yet, dead. Maybe Rush is a fake too. Of course, the whole doppelganger clone idea is not very original either (and was done several times in the Stargate franchise already), but I bet TPTB would think it a huge HOLY SHIT moment if they showed the real Chloe cowering on the Blalien ship in a future episode. But if I happened to see it, I'd just roll my eyes, then yawn.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
How can density do time travel when it it so old compared to Atlantis. The jumpers on Atlantis were relatively modern and the time travel device on one of those was still in the experimental stages. You have your time lines all out of kilter.
You can do time travel that overwrites the timeline with a Stargate and a solar flare. It's so easy to do in Stargate that I'm amazed no one in the SGC hasn't suggested it to undo all the mistakes they made after the Goa'uld were defeated.

Blurb

GateFans Noob
So, just to throw my 3 cents out there randomly...

Liked:

- the earth scenes better than the Destiny on- board pointlessness (and maybe I should copy this point straight to wtf!? moments :icon_e_confused:), mainly due to there finally being some continuity after introducing all the earth realtions and then abandoning them for how many months; but at the same time, it's a surefire way to confuse new viewers, who have no clue what the heck is going on with plot strands that got opened so far back :icon_eek:

- finally, FINALLY they don't gloss over *all* of the strangeness that the earthbound guys and gals face when confronted with their loved ones in different bodies (in that sense, Sharon being driven to alcohol is one of the first times that someone being an alcoholic on the show actually makes sense and carries impact to me for various reasons)

- David Blue's acting with Eli and mom back on the ship (don't hit me :icon_e_wink:), he was really awkward and it came across well to me that Eli was not very comfortable getting all cuddly with Lisa Park mommy. Tough being on the other side of the fence for once, eh Destineers?

Things I can suspend disbelief on:

- Eli coming out to mom about their situation. Heck, Chloe got on Icarus base, several other Destineers have blabbed about the program to various people, why should Eli need extra permission now. Not that it makes any sense, all of it, but I'm over that.

- Eli's mom not reacting to "Tracy's" outrageous stories. Ok, she's switched off, whatever.

- The Greer character in general. So now he has a new favourite enemy's heel to snap at. Woot. It's not as if the guy's attention span is all that great (or he would have followed *Rush* to the bridge ages ago, been a little more wary towards Telford after the un- brainwashing... you get my drift). Kind of sorry for the actor he gets to do another rewind on the "angry bulldog" routine, but well, it's SGU.

really Disliked/ wtf?! moments:

- Sharon jumps out of the house as soon as the government vehicle stops. Is she glued to her window 24/7 or is that supposed to mean that Destineers frequently visit offscreen?

- Young. Young, Young, Young... pure hatred, complete with getting the urge to bash head against nearest concrete surface. "I need it fixed... now!" and "Eli is not available, you fix it... now!" Well dude, if you spent any time thinking ahead more than where to get the next refill of your pretty flask or your women- issues, you'd not find yourself in soooo many fucked up situations in the first place! He has been and still is supposed to lead (not that he ever really started to do that...) and I don't get why noone on Destiny just murders the character in his sleep. Call it putting him out of his misery and start over already!

- Chloe in the chair. Now I would be a little wary of sitting in the thing, considering it brain damaged the last one to try that. Oh, and making him disappear after deep freezing him. It would so raise my confidence when I also got told it will *kill* anything alien in me, when I don't even have a clue how much that might be... not. On top of that, Chloe's trust in Rush that he fixed the chair is amazing, considering he seems to have done that off screen (yay for offscreen... apparently, everything worthwile happens offscreen), in his plenty of free time when he isn't overworking himself on the bridge already :facepalm:. You'd see why I don't understand all the other characters thinking Chloe in the chair would be a good idea. I mean, if it's supposed to say that Chloe is getting all suicidal, fine with me. But Scott "the love puppy" having just had heavy relationship talk and then not objecting to her sitting in the chair??? WTF?!

Ok, three points for each. Still too much unrealistic/ illogical behaviour of main characters for me, so nothing much has changed.

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

ok earlier in this forum I said people were responding with the dumb gateworld live + 7 is doing well when really its not on hulu. I said this

live +7 were averaging about 2.3 mil in season 1 of SGU. if they went down to 1.6 mil than thats really bad. Not to mention that live plus 7 days for SGA season 2 was 2.2 mil. So the show cost twice as much to make but gets lower ratings than SGU. No matter how much spin you put it SGU is not doing that well.

Just look at this chart on this website

http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php/133-Ratings

Tell me who is the better the show.

oh season 1 of SGA Live + SD beats season one of SGU's live + 7 by a LOT. SGA season 1 got 2.8 thats LIVE + SD not compare that to SGU ratings!

I got this fucking rage insult that was a total failure at guesting how I am like.

LOL! sg1isbetterthansgu is a funny guy! I just have this picture of a little short dude with clenched fists and floppy hair screaming at the TV whenever SGU is on! Probably throwing his popcorn and cereal in the air as he rants ans waves his fists at the sky! "D@mn you, SCYYYYYYYFYYYYYYY!

When you try to use reason and logic to win an agurment they respond back with an insult. Lol what a sore loser.

Those SGU fans are going to squeal like a pig when SGU is canceled.

Yllek

GateFans Noob
Did anyone do a review for this episode?

I take for granted it that it was subpar (and below a million viewers, omg, hahahahahhahahahhaa *laughs forever at Mallozzi*, but I like the snarky reviews. :)

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

Did anyone do a review for this episode?

I take for granted it that it was subpar (and below a million viewers, omg, hahahahahhahahahhaa *laughs forever at Mallozzi*, but I like the snarky reviews. :)

me too

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Ah, but the gates in universe are short range so does that mean that they can only jump back a few days or so? :D
The range doesn't determine how far back you go. In Time, Rush went back far enough for his flesh to rot off the bones/be picked clean be predators. I think the solar flare is what determines how far back you go.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
The range doesn't determine how far back you go. In Time, Rush went back far enough for his flesh to rot off the bones/be picked clean be predators. I think the solar flare is what determines how far back you go.

Well if anyone has seen Stargate Continuum will know. The problem is trying to get the right solar flare to accurately send you back in time to the period where you want. But the point is, the range does actually factor in, at least with the gates currently seen in SGU. Destiny has to be within a certain proximity to dial in.

So, if you wanted to time travel using the Destiny and its gate system, you are at a severe disadvantage. First the gates are smaller in number within the galaxies, secondary finding the right solar flare to send you back in time (and intercepting it with a vastly inferior FTL capability) which walking through the gate at any wrong moment could mean the difference between a day to several decades in passing of time, thirdly you can only send people back in time not the Destiny itself.

Only Ba'al was awesome enough to do such a feat!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Well if anyone has seen Stargate Continuum will know. The problem is trying to get the right solar flare to accurately send you back in time to the period where you want. But the point is, the range does actually factor in, at least with the gates currently seen in SGU. Destiny has to be within a certain proximity to dial in.

So, if you wanted to time travel using the Destiny and its gate system, you are at a severe disadvantage. First the gates are smaller in number within the galaxies, secondary finding the right solar flare to send you back in time (and intercepting it with a vastly inferior FTL capability) which walking through the gate at any wrong moment could mean the difference between a day to several decades in passing of time, thirdly you can only send people back in time not the Destiny itself.

Only Ba'al was awesome enough to do such a feat!
True, but if the SGC were to implement such a plan, they would likely do it from Earth in order to maximize the benefits of rewriting the timeline ("Hey, now we have a bunch of ZPMs, the plans for a weapon to kill Replicators on a planet full of Ancient tech, a phase cloak, and an extra Puddle Jumper!"). Getting Destiny to do it would be pointless, since it would affect nothing of any real value.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Is it just me, or does anyone else see this:

Destinysucks2.jpg

And think this:

images

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Is it just me, or does anyone else see this:

Destinysucks2.jpg

And think this:

images

You know, there are many moments within SGU that I find similar to Spaceballs, like when they were on the desert planet I honestly thought someone was going to say 'found anything yet' or when the blue aliens took chloe they should have said' fooled you!' and of course when Destiny is draining power from the seeding ship, 'suck! suck! suck!'